• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynelane

Imagine arguing about a studio that no longer exists, that had been acquired 30 years ago when PlayStation was just beginning.

yDOOy9r.gif

It's all just a bit of deflection - much like the third-party exclusive argument. It's okay for MS to do A because Sony did B sort of thing - facts and history be damned. It's almost like some of the more vocal people on Twitter and elsewhere don't understand that it's MS regulators are looking at, not Sony. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

splattered

1. You seem more invested in seeing this happen than not. So it is a bit hard to take you seriously when you say "if it happens, it happens," where the implication is that it is just the nature of the business. Nah, one company can clearly outspend the other. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen I guess lol. That doesn't mean much.
--
2. I'm not sure what you expect to see changing when the Microsoft money you say will help Activision change hasn't brought any fruits to MS so far—with their own studios—the very reason this acquisition is even being made. How is this lost on you?

This is simply Microsoft trying to aggressively push Game Pass, and they have the means to outspend their competitors, so when I see them making statements like "...COD will be on PS as long as PS exists..." I just have to laugh because that could mean two things and one of them is, well, if we can eliminate PS by outspending them and forcing them into a corner, then no more PS to put COD on. :D

I am not saying that is what is going to happen, but my point is simply that this is being done to feed the Game Pass machine. If you like Xbox and love Game Pass, I don't fault you for wanting this to close in favor of MS but that doesn't mean it is a good thing for Activision and the industry in the long term. I am also not blind to the fact that perhaps some of us are not seeing it right now, but it could also bring forward something good.
Nah I subscribe to Gamepass but don't really use it, I more want a family plan for my kids to be honest. I'm old man, I still buy my games that I want to play even if I have access to them on Gamepass. Activision games coming to Gamepass honestly doesn't really interest me at all.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Toys for Bob and Vicarious Visions have been turned into support studios... you're never going to get new games in those series under Activision anyway. Again, people complaining about nothing. Microsoft can afford to reform and hire for COD teams as necessary and let studios that make stuff like Spyro and Tony Hawk go back to actually making the games they want to.
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You seem to be under the impression that everyone who is against this acquisition would change their minds if it was Sony that was doing the acquisition. People like @Topher and myself have made it very clear that this isn't a Microsoft vs. Sony argument that we're making. We are against consolidation of large publishers by mega corporations. Period. If Microsoft or Sony want to acquire a small start-up and make that studio grow under its leadership, that's fine by me. (Note: I am not speaking for @Topher on this point as this is just my own opinion.) The issue is the market leaders buying up traditionally multi-platform publishers in order to foreclose and make these titles, in full or in part, exclusive to their console. That's not okay, and nobody should feel good about that.
Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

Kojima doesn't want to sell, FromSoftware is VERY risky, Larian, Remedy, and IO are kind of suspect buys to be honest.

CDPR and Capcom are the best smaller purchases money can buy.

T2 is the biggest bet but also the best bet. Zynga, Rockstar, and 2K Sports... If you never bought another company again, you'd be fine.

CDPR makes a ton of sense, though finding the right value for the company would be difficult, especially after an exodus of talent.

Capcom is the best studio in Japan right now. Street Fighter is as popular as its ever been and so is Resident Evil and Monster Hunter. I think Mega Man is ripe for a reboot, one that I think Insomnaic would knock out of the park. Capcom checks off A LOT of boxes and is probably the best buy from a cost-variety perspective. If you're Sony, partnering them up with Bluepoint and Insomniac makes a lot of sense. Makes sense for PSVR too.

Capcom would be major. Probably would cost ~11B though. I think I'd rather they use that to pick up a bunch of smaller companies.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

You seem to be under the impression that everyone who is against this acquisition would change their minds if it was Sony that was doing the acquisition. People like @Topher and myself have made it very clear that this isn't a Microsoft vs. Sony argument that we're making. We are against consolidation of large publishers by mega corporations. Period. If Microsoft or Sony want to acquire a small start-up and make that studio grow under its leadership, that's fine by me. (Note: I am not speaking for @Topher on this point as this is just my own opinion.) The issue is the market leaders buying up traditionally multi-platform publishers in order to foreclose and make these titles, in full or in part, exclusive to their console. That's not okay, and nobody should feel good about that.
While this is a fair point and I agree with it, Sony is playing dirty here.

With your logic, if big publishers are off limit, and Sony keeps using its power to secure exclusive games and content from those big publishers ( and its much easier for sony to do so vs MS because of both userbase and influence on the market ), MS will never have a chance to compete. they will always be the underdog, they will always be losing money on the Xbox project and their game pass subscription service will never grow to the point where it needs to be.

At its current state, if I am a game developer, and I get 2 job offers from MS or Sony, I will work with Sony no questions asked. that's where the talent is and that's where I will get to work with the big devs and make a name for myself.

MS has lots of IPs under their wings. from Rare to Bethesda etc. but there is no talent to develop these games. MS is not missing IPs. they are missing devs. and MS is hoping by buying big publishers like ACT, is have all those devs under its wing AND gain enough power in the market where
1- Devs want to work with them
2- it gets harder for Sony to secure big exclusives now that Xbox has a user base and name. it will require Sony to pay lots of money to secure a game from a user base like Xbox / game pass and thus dominating power.

I do not have an Xbox. only high-end gaming PC and PS5. and I really hope this deal goes through just so Jim can eat shit, and Sony play fair in the market. Whether it's Final Fantasy 7 Remake or 16 or forsaken or Street fighter 5 or whatever, Sony keeps using its power to have all the games not come on Xbox. they keep playing dirty ( and fair enough, that's how Business and Market are, it's business at the end of the day ), but since they decided to go that route, MS is now using its power ( money ) to hurt Sony just like how Sony is been doing.

LoL. I really hope this deal goes through. just for the salty tears of Jim crying in interviews. but whatever. CMA is sony cunts and it's obvious. I hope Euro approve this deal before CMA get the chance to vote, at least if they block it, the whole world will know they are Sony cunts. I hope this deal goes through when FTC and Euro approve it and CMA doesn't. this way British gamers will riot against these fucklets when they can't get COD anymore because it's under MS name and they are blocked. .. they will burn CMA to the ground. ( Edit : this not a serious wish. more like it will be funny how UK gamers will react when MS goes with the purchase and no more COD for them. it will be very interesting to watch but I do not think it will reach that point anyway. so grow up LoL)

Again. I do respect everyone who is against big publishers being purchased by Mega publishers. but this case specifically, where MS has been trying for more than 20 years now, it needs to be approved and happen. enough of Sony being the market leader for all this long. time to offset some balance, if it's up to them we will be paying 100$ per game next gen if we leave it to Sony. being the market leader alone is killing this hobby. and if it was someone else besides MS, they would have left a long time ago. Google tried, Apple tried a long time ago, and Amazon tried, but they all crashed and burned and left the industry. if MS does that,,,,, yeah its game over.

Last edited:
while this is a fair point and I agree with it, Sony is playing dirty here.
no they are not.

With your logic, if big publishers are off limit, and Sony keeps using its power to secure exclusive games and content from those big publishers ( and its much easier for sony to do so vs MS because of both userbase and influence on the market ), MS will never have a chance to compete. they will always be the underdog, they will always be losing money on the Xbox project and their game pass subscription service will never grow to the point where it needs to be.
the funny thing is that Xbox was able to compete in the 360 era. playing the very same game sony plays.

At its current state, if I am a game developer, and I get 2 job offers from MS or Sony, I will work with Sony no questions asked. that's where the talent is and that's where I will get to work with the big devs and make a name for myself.

MS has lots of IPs under their wings. from Rare to Bethesda etc. but there is no talent to develop these games. MS is not missing IPs. they are missing devs. and MS is hoping by buying big publishers like ACT, is have all those devs under its wing AND gain enough power in the market where
2- it gets harder for Sony to secure big exclusives now that Xbox has a user base and name. it will require Sony to pay lots of money to secure a game from a user base like Xbox / game pass and thus dominating power.

I do not have an Xbox. only high-end gaming PC and PS5. and I really hope this deal goes through just so Jim can eat shit, and Sony play fair in the market. Whether its Final Fantasy 7 Remake or 16 or forsaken or Street fighter 5 or whatever, Sony keeps using its power to have all the games not come on Xbox. they keep playing dirty ( and fair enough, that's the market, it's business at the end of the day ), but since they decided to go that route, MS is now using its power ( money ) to hurt Sony just like how Sony is been doing.
wow.
I really hope this deal goes through. just for the salty tears of Jim crying in interviews. but whatever. CMA is sony cunts and it's obvious. I hope Euro approve this deal before CMA get the chance to vote, at least if they block it, the whole world will know they are Sony cunts.
🙄

I hope this deal goes through when FTC and Euro approve it and CMA doesn't. this way British gamers will riot against these fucklets when they can't get COD anymore because it's under MS name and they are blocked. .. they will burn CMA to the ground.
what is this? a fan fiction.
and again. I do respect everyone who is against big publishers being purchased by Mega publishers. but this case specifically, where MS has been trying for more than 20 years now,
they only tried for like The OG xbox and half the generation of the 360.

it needs to be approved and happen. enough of Sony is the market leader for this long. time to offset some balance, if it's up to them we will be paying 100$ per game next gen if we leave it to Sony. being the market leader alone is killing this hobby. and if it was someone else besides MS, they would have left a long time ago. Google tried, Apple tried a long time ago, and Amazon tried, but they all crashed and burn and call it a day and leave the industry. if MS does that,,,,, yeah it's game over.
I would agree with you but your MS fantasy/Jim-PS hate boner is gross

This deal should be approved (and the numbers back that up). not because of MS or Sony but because the Industry (especially the AAA space) needs disruption.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
while this is a fair point and I agree with it, Sony is playing dirty here.

Of course they are. That's how large corporations work. Microsoft is playing dirty, too. All of these corporations are the same.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Hold up. Let's get something straight: I never once said a thing about exclusivity agreements. Don't put words in my mouth. I specifically talked about acquisitions, and nothing else.

Furthermore, don't act like it is only Sony who is participating in this exclusivity train. Beyond that fact that Microsoft can, and does, still engage in exclusivity deals, let's not forget that they are the ones that started making these exclusivity agreements in the first place back in the Xbox 360 era. Don't act like Microsoft is the victim when they picked a fight, and then they found out that their opponent could fight back using the same moves. That's bullshit.

This part of your post has nothing to do with the acquisition, even if we use the next part as context.

Again, this isn't a Sony issue. This is solely due to Microsoft mis-managing its own studios and development teams.

Beyond that, how in the absolute fuck do you think that Bethesda and the entire Zenimax branch isn't talented? Are you saying that Forza Horizon 5 was made by plebs? This claim is so ridiculous that I am actually angry with you for having made me read it. This is absolute bullshit, and if you truly believe this then there is zero point in having a conversation with you.

I do not have an Xbox. only high-end gaming PC and PS5. and I really hope this deal goes through just so Jim can eat shit, and Sony play fair in the market. Whether its Final Fantasy 7 Remake or 16 or forsaken or Street fighter 5 or whatever, Sony keeps using its power to have all the games not come on Xbox. they keep playing dirty ( and fair enough, that's the market, it's business at the end of the day ), but since they decided to go that route, MS is now using its power ( money ) to hurt Sony just like how Sony is been doing.

You can want what you want. That's your right. But as I said previously, quit acting like Microsoft is the victim. They started throwing the punches with the exclusivity deals. Sony, it turned out, could punch back harder. If anything, fuck Microsoft for starting this third-party exclusivity crap in the first place.

I really hope this deal goes through. just for the salty tears of Jim crying in interviews. but whatever. CMA is sony cunts and it's obvious. I hope Euro approve this deal before CMA get the chance to vote, at least if they block it, the whole world will know they are Sony cunts.

I hope this deal goes through when FTC and Euro approve it and CMA doesn't. this way British gamers will riot against these fucklets when they can't get COD anymore because it's under MS name and they are blocked. .. they will burn CMA to the ground.

You're an absolute lunatic. I wish I had read your entire post before I started responding. Now that I am to this part, you're beyond hopeless. You deserve to be on everyone's block list. This is the posting of a madman.

and again. I do respect everyone who is against big publishers being purchased by Mega publishers. but this case specifically, where MS has been trying for more than 20 years now, it needs to be approved and happen. enough of Sony is the market leader for this long. time to offset some balance, if it's up to them we will be paying 100$ per game next gen if we leave it to Sony. being the market leader alone is killing this hobby. and if it was someone else besides MS, they would have left a long time ago. Google tried, Apple tried a long time ago, and Amazon tried, but they all crashed and burn and call it a day and leave the industry. if MS does that,,,,, yeah its game over.

Microsoft proved that they could play ball with the Xbox 360 era. Stop giving them a pass for consistently shitting the bed. I want Microsoft to succeed. They have awesome IPs that I enjoy (can't wait for Fable), and having them in the game keeps Sony competitive in terms of hardware and software output. That's a win for everyone. However, this acquisition isn't about competing. It's about Microsoft trying to use their trillions to buy the market. That's bad for everyone.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I do not have an Xbox. only high-end gaming PC and PS5. and I really hope this deal goes through just so Jim can eat shit, and Sony play fair in the market. Whether it's Final Fantasy 7 Remake or 16 or forsaken or Street fighter 5 or whatever, Sony keeps using its power to have all the games not come on Xbox. they keep playing dirty ( and fair enough, that's how Business and Market are, it's business at the end of the day ), but since they decided to go that route, MS is now using its power ( money ) to hurt Sony just like how Sony is been doing.

Again. I do respect everyone who is against big publishers being purchased by Mega publishers. but this case specifically, where MS has been trying for more than 20 years now, it needs to be approved and happen. enough of Sony being the market leader for all this long. time to offset some balance, if it's up to them we will be paying 100$ per game next gen if we leave it to Sony. being the market leader alone is killing this hobby. and if it was someone else besides MS, they would have left a long time ago. Google tried, Apple tried a long time ago, and Amazon tried, but they all crashed and burned and left the industry. if MS does that,,,,, yeah its game over.
MS really need to fix their own studios first, they had a history of being aimed only at American audiences which has led them where they are today, but now they also have deeper issues with studios not being properly maintained, leading to degradation of sales even in their own backyard.

They dug themselves into this spot but they can improve, especially with Bethesda behind them.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I love how I am getting replies by dividing my post to small pieces and missing the whole picture just to prove a point ( some of the replies are even retarded lol (madman/ lunatic / needs to be blocked by everyone ) I Musta hit a nerve I guess but sure. cry me a river. heh. next time please divide it to one word at a time lol

bitbydeath bitbydeath , yeah they need to fix their studios. but its back to the same point I mentioned above. where is the talent ? what is the point of owning IPs when not enough devs to develop them ?
IFireflyl IFireflyl I wasn't targeting you in my post. I am not trying to frame you of something you didn't say either. Just picked up your post because like I said I agree with you, But I do have my own opinion on why this deal should go through.

You also mentioned MS was able to compete Vs PS3.... yeah how?

1- a year before the PS3 was released.
2- easier to develop for ( big fuck ups from Ignorant Sony )
3- secured big exclusives ( funny, just like how Sony is doing now )
4- Much cheaper than PS3

and in the end, they also still came in dead last lol.

Also. do not take my quote about hoping British gamers will riot and burn CMA to the ground as a real thing. it's just will be funny how British gamers will react and how CMA will look like a retard when the whole world approve it but them. that will show how biased they are and like I Said,, Sony cunts.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I love how I am getting replies by dividing my post to small pieces and missing the whole picture just to prove a point ( some of the replies are even retarded lol (madman/ lunatic / needs to be blocked by everyone ) I Musta hit a nerve I guess but sure. cry me a river. heh. next time please divide it to one word at a time lol

bitbydeath bitbydeath , yeah they need to fix their studios. but its back to the same point I mentioned above. where is the talent ? what is the point of owning IPs when not enough devs to develop them ?
IFireflyl IFireflyl I wasn't targeting you in my post. I am not trying to frame you of something you didn't say either. Just picked up your post because like I said I agree with you, But I do have my own opinion on why this deal should go through.

You also mentioned MS was able to compete Vs PS3.... yeah how?

1- a year before the PS3 was released.
2- easier to develop for ( big fuck ups from Ignorant Sony )
3- secured big exclusives ( funny, just like how Sony is doing now )
4- Much cheaper than PS3

and in the end, they also still came in dead last lol.

Also. do not take my quote about hoping British gamers will riot and burn CMA to the ground as a real thing. it's just will be funny how British gamers will react and how CMA will look like a retard when the whole world approve it but them. that will show how biased they are and like I Said,, Sony cunts.

You didn't even respond to the actual points that were made, and your opinions are stupid. It's all about your emotions, and nothing to do with logic at all.

//DEVIL//

You didn't even respond to the actual points that were made, and your opinions are stupid. It's all about your emotions, and nothing to do with logic at all.
Honestly, the only stupid reples I am getting are your replies as well as your opinions on that matter. just like the rest of your stupid replies before it. because you keep missing the picture I was trying to make. ( even though I even said I agree with you. but then again. stupid people are stupid )

and the fact you keep insulting me means I did actually hit a nerve. so like I said in the post above. cry me a river, or bang your head to any of the 4 sides of the tent you live in.

Not only I responded to the actual points you made, I proved you wrong in all of them. including the 360 era you mentioned.

we are done here kiddo.

gl on ur future stupid useless replies.

Last edited:

Three

Whole world except the US you mean. I guess the UK and US will be retards together. And if the CMA approve with some concessions? Would you go back to kissing ass and how they're not bias instead of talking about cunts? Maybe lay off the emotions.

demigod

LoL. I really hope this deal goes through. just for the salty tears of Jim crying in interviews. but whatever. CMA is sony cunts and it's obvious. I hope Euro approve this deal before CMA get the chance to vote, at least if they block it, the whole world will know they are Sony cunts. I hope this deal goes through when FTC and Euro approve it and CMA doesn't. this way British gamers will riot against these fucklets when they can't get COD anymore because it's under MS name and they are blocked. .. they will burn CMA to the ground. ( Edit : this not a serious wish. more like it will be funny how UK gamers will react when MS goes with the purchase and no more COD for them. it will be very interesting to watch but I do not think it will reach that point anyway. so grow up LoL)

Why does everyone defending ms act like they’re 12? Ms as a company are not leaving UK over CoD.

//DEVIL//

Whole world except the US you mean. I guess the UK and US will be retards together. And if the CMA approve with some concessions? Would you go back to kissing ass and how they're not bias instead of talking about cunts? Maybe lay off the emotions.
No. because so far only UK against it, it seems Euro is on board. FTC no one knows shit about so far but I highly doubt it will be blocked by FTC. CMA is the only one looking against it and their solution is (to sell COD lol ). if you think that is not biased, then I don't know what to tell you lol.

As I mentioned above, I do not even own an Xbox. it's just as of this moment, this is what the outcome looks like.

Why does everyone defending ms act like they’re 12? Ms as a company are not leaving UK over CoD.

I honestly do wonder about this. Let's say the deal gets approved in Euro, US but not UK. what happens here?

Will MS not buy them because of 1 country? or will they buy them anyway and hopefully this force the CMA to re-evaluate and approve the deal if all MS products get blocked?

is there such a thing as re-evaluating anyway?

Of course, MS does not want to lose the UK as a business, but it's kinda a 2 ways street where lots of Jobs will be lost and the UK will not have access to windows, etc ( assuming MS buys them anyway regardless of what CMA says ). can the UK afford that?

(This is just a theoretical question so the retards here don't come at me thinking I am an Xbox fanboy and pushing for the extreme ),

what can actually happen in this case?

Last edited:

Three

MS has lots of IPs under their wings. from Rare to Bethesda etc. but there is no talent to develop these games. MS is not missing IPs. they are missing devs.
This is a pretty silly take. Who do you think developed those Rare and Bethesda IPs if they're missing devs? Rare and Bethesda have their own devs.

If they're simply missing devs they can just hire for those studios and not lay off 10,000 people. Shouldn't be difficult considering the fact that MS fans talk about how working for MS is like heaven and Activision workers would be ascending when acquired. If it's devs you want hire people and don't fire people. They want the IPs more than anything, like Candy Crush, COD, Diablo, WoW, etc. Hiring devs is easy, establishing IPs is not.

No. because so far only UK against it, it seems Euro is on board. FTC no one knows shit about so far but I highly doubt it will be blocked by FTC. CMA is the only one looking against it and their solution is (to sell COD lol ). if you think that is not biased, then I don't know what to tell you lol.

As I mentioned above, I do not even own an Xbox. it's just as of this moment, this is what the outcome looks like.
EC might be on board with the concessions. We don't know yet. The FTC have sued to block it entirely, so saying the whole world except the UK approve of it like you're suggesting isn't reality. The only bias is your own for saying the remedy suggested by the CMA is unjust with no rhyme or reason.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

This is a pretty silly take. Who do you think developed those Rare and Bethesda IPs if they're missing devs? Rare and Bethesda have their own devs.

If they're simply missing devs they can just hire for those studios and not lay off 10,000 people. Shouldn't be difficult considering the fact that MS fans talk about how working for MS is like heaven and Activision workers would be ascending when acquired. If it's devs you want hire people and don't fire people. They want the IPs more than anything, like Candy Crush, COD, Diablo, WoW, etc. Hiring devs is easy, establishing IPs is not.

EC might be on board with the concessions. We don't know yet. The FTC have sued to block it entirely, so saying the whole world except the UK approve of it like you're suggesting isn't reality. The only bias is your own for saying the remedy suggested by the CMA is unjust with no rhyme or reason.

Rare has not released game since 5 years ago. and it was released in an almost early access stage( sea of thieves ) and ported few roms in 2015 to xbox ( rare replay ). something that can be done by 1 person in 1 day its been .. . Do you want to tell me they are not having development hell when they can't even show a playable demo of a game they announced 3 years ago and it was dead silent ever since? -_-.....

you know MS does not have the talent when they require assistance from 3rd party devs to make them perfect dark. and when their biggest IP Halo, was in development hell ( and still in post-release )

I don't know anything about the FTC. I mentioned that above. they might have sued, but they will not really act on it (if I am not mistaken, from my understanding they kinda always do that on big mergers)

You are also saying CMA remedy of selling COD ( the main reason MS wants to own ACT ) is not biased and it's not unjust. but I am biased because I think CMA is biased because of it. okay >_> If that's the case I am biased :/

Last edited:

Three

Rare has not released game since 5 years ago. and it was released in an almost early access stage( sea of thieves ) and ported rooms in 2015 to xbox ( rare replay ) Do you want to tell me they are not having development hell when they can't even show a playable demo of a game they announced 3 years ago and it was dead silent ever since? -_-.....
They've been dead silent for the same reason Rockstar have. They released a GaaS game and they're milking mtx money. Doesn’t mean they don't have devs or can't hire devs. The idea that MS are paying $70B to get some devs to work on Rare IPs is stupid. They can just hire for a fraction of the price.
You are also saying CMA remedy of selling COD ( the main reason MS wants to own ACT ) is not biased and it's not unjust. but I am biased because I think CMA is biased because of it. okay >_> If that's the case I am biased :/
Yeah, when you give no reason other than some other company being cunts then I'd say that's probably more down to your bias than the investigation done by the CMA.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wrong. All 3 of these regulatory bodies are against this acquisition in some way.

//DEVIL//

They've been dead silent for the same reason Rockstar have. They released a GaaS game and they're milking mtx money. Doesn’t mean they don't have devs or can't hire devs. The idea that MS are paying $70B to get some devs to work on Rare IPs is stupid. They can just hire for a fraction of the price.

Yeah, when you give no reason other than some other company being cunts then I'd say that's probably more down to your bias than the investigation done by the CMA.

are you comparing GTA to the sea of thieves? and no. they released Red dead 2. did they not? Take two didn't announce and show a concept video of the game 3 years ago and didn't show anything since then.

and I just explained why I am calling CMA cunts. because they are asking for remedies that Sony wants. Sell COD. that is not a remedy that is Biased. period. if that doesn't sink in your head and the others who are quoting me on it then fuck it. I am biased. period.

Wrong. All 3 of these regulatory bodies are against this acquisition in some way.

Correct me If I am wrong. I honestly do not know but:

1- We are aware of the CMA case so no need to talk about it for now
2- FTC filed a suit to block it. but they usually do not win ( or the proper wording, they do not really follow through. I believe something recently like that happened too and the Acquisition / merger went through no problem
3- The EC did. but all indication is they will approve it and soon too.

Last edited:

Three

are you comparing GTA to the sea of thieves? and no. they released Red dead 2. did they not? Take two didn't announce and show a concept video of the game 3 years ago and didn't show anything since then.
I'm comparing Rockstars dead silence for 5yrs to Rares, not the two games popularity or whatever else you have in mind. RDR2 released 5yrs ago like SoT.

Take two showed a title screen for Agent and we never heard anything from it ever again. Trying to sell a console with some early in development bullshit doesn’t mean you don't have developers.

and I just explained why I am calling CMA cunts. because they are asking for remedies that Sony wants. Sell COD. that is not a remedy that is Biased. period. if that doesn't sink in your head and the others who are quoting me on it then fuck it. I am biased. period.
So your reason for their bias is that their decision didn't align with your own bias opinion of who is right or wrong. Got it.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I am huge PS, Nintendo, Ouya and PC gamer only (notice how i didnt say Xbox so if I'm making pro Xbox comments then my word carries weight). I hope deal goes through because Xbox needs to compete, they have only been in the business 20+ years. Arrogant Sony! Fuck Jim Ryan! CMA are cunts, MS will pull out of Britain (no stop laughing they will) and fuck Playstation (I know what you're thinking, why did I buy a Playstation and not an Xbox and the answer is i secretly only own an Xbox 😉).

Am I doing this right?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
1- We are aware of the CMA case so no need to talk about it for now
2- FTC filed a suit to block it. but they usually do not win ( or the proper wording, they do not really follow through. I believe something recently like that happened too and the Acquisition / merger went through no problem
3- The EC did. but all indication is they will approve it and soon too.
2. FTC has filed a suit to block it. They are not interested in any concession whatsoever. Whether they win or not will depend on the trial. For now, they are 100% against this acquisition, even more so than the CMA and the EC.
3. The EC filed a statement of objections because they have objections regarding Microsoft buying ABK as is. Whether they want MS to comply with structural or behavioral remedies isn't known. They also have not indicated anything about approving or rejecting the deal yet - that was just "insider rumor." As of now, the only official and confirm thing we know is that the EC has objections.

So all 3 regulatory bodies -- CMA, FTC, and EC -- have objections.

bitbydeath

yeah they need to fix their studios. but its back to the same point I mentioned above. where is the talent ? what is the point of owning IPs when not enough devs to develop them ?
More than anything they need better management, the talent hiring is up to management.

Everything comes down to current management.

Previous acquisitions we’ve had/seen many hopes of Microsoft opening up their war chest to support them and churn out games bigger and faster, revive old IP’s, etc etc

But none of that’s happened, there’s been no visible investments made. Sony’s done it right by hiring support studios, allowing for quick 3-4 year development times. MS should follow suit.

Last edited:

DJ12

I'm just so happy Sony can no longer purchase exclusivity to huge aaa games like deathloop and ghostwire in regards to Bethesda. Tried to do it with starfield and MS came out swinging. Kinda feels good not gonna lie. After the purchase of Activision, no more call is duty exclusive content.
What if I told you deathloop was only decent because it had to go through Sonys approval system so standards were higher.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, no one wants purchases but still live in the fantasy where Sony buy from soft and take 2 plus also continue to money hats titles like final fantasy 7 remake. Ff XVI, deathloop, ghostwire etc...plus I'm sure more to come.....

Weird much?

Why can't Sony succeed with just their first party exclusives? They've purchased quite a few studios now...?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So, no one wants purchases but still live in the fantasy where Sony buy from soft and take 2 plus also continue to money hats titles like final fantasy 7 remake. Ff XVI, deathloop, ghostwire etc...plus I'm sure more to come.....

Weird much?

Why can't Sony succeed with just their first party exclusives? They've purchased quite a few studios now...?
These "fantasies" only became a part of the discussion because of Microsoft's buying spree. For Sony, these acquisitions are supposed to be more defensive in nature -- before Microsoft scoops up those studios. Sony has been and continues to be successful with their first-party studios, without acquiring any multiplatform publishers or IPs.

Did any PlayStation fans talk vehemently about acquiring publishers and studios before 2018?

Last edited:

Three

Weird much?

The people who live in the fantasy of Sony buying Take 2 aren't the same people who don't want consolidation. It's not that weird at all. Unless you have receipts for specific people what's the point of making this generalisation?

People may also not be fans of timed exclusivity deals but understand that this isn't the same as consolidation of the industry and is done by both parties. Their purchased studios were also studios working on Sony IPs or studios to bring those Sony IPs to PC. Not the same.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These "fantasies" only became a part of the discussion because of Microsoft's buying spree. For Sony, these acquisitions are supposed to be more defensive in nature -- before Microsoft scoops up those studios. Sony has been and continues to be successful with their first-party studios, without acquiring any multiplatform publishers or IPs.

Did any PlayStation fans talk vehemently about acquiring publishers and studios before 2018?

But Sony hasn't been succesful with JUST their first party ip...they've never been succesful with just that. They've bought third party exclusives and timed exclusives for generations..

and Sony fans haven't mentioned purchasing studios before 2018 becuase they didn't have to...Sony was out there buying exclusive content, timed exclusives games...and Sony fans were too busy chirping on about how Sony get the games becuase devs just want to support Sony, they dont pay for it ...etc...they don't pay to keep content off other platforms...

all the while also sending death threats and screaming like little babies when tomb raider got a 1 year exclusivity deal with xbox. within 48 hours of its announcement i might add....demanding exact dates the deal would end and the heads of studios to roll becuase how would someone DARE do a deal with any one but Sony...this is what actually happened before MS decided to start buying studios instead..... the worst part of this is the media took sonys fans side and almost encouraged it even more and started pressuring MS and Crystal dynamics for more info...something they've never really done with Sony deals....strange that....

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No proof for this at all
What type of proof do you need for this? It's based on common sense.

If MS acquires COD, what's the next big IP that Sony fans would want Sony to secure? Most likely, GTA. That's where Take-2 fantasies come from.

Microsoft kickstarted an acquisition spree in the industry. There was nothing going before 2018 until Microsoft kicked the hornest's nest. Then everybody started buying studios left and right.

Sony had worked with HouseMarque for 25+ years without acquiring them. Then HouseMarque head revealed that they received acquisition offers "from the usual suspects." So Sony bought HouseMarque. Was that not defensive?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
But Sony hasn't been succesful with JUST their first party ip...they've never been succesful with just that. They've bought third party exclusives and timed exclusives for generations..

and Sony fans haven't mentioned purchasing studios before 2018 becuase they didn't have to...Sony was out there buying exclusive content, timed exclusives games...and Sony fans were too busy chirping on about how Sony get the games becuase devs just want to support Sony, they dont pay for it ...etc...they don't pay to keep content off other platforms...

all the while also sending death threats and screaming like little babies when tomb raider got a 1 year exclusivity deal with xbox. within 48 hours of its announcement i might add....demanding exact dates the deal would end and the heads of studios to roll becuase how would someone DARE do a deal with any one but Sony...this is what actually happened before MS decided to start buying studios instead..... the worst part of this is the media took sonys fans side and almost encouraged it even more and started pressuring MS and Crystal dynamics for more info...something they've never really done with Sony deals....strange that....
  • Xbox competes with first-party + publishing deals + third-party timed-exclusivity deals.
  • Sony competes wth first-party + publishing deals + third-party timed-exclusivity deals.
You want Sony to compete only with first-party when Xbox is free to engage third-party studios with first-party game development and third-party timed-exclusivity deals?

How does that make sense?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
  • Xbox competes with first-party + publishing deals + third-party timed-exclusivity deals.
  • Sony competes wth first-party + publishing deals + third-party timed-exclusivity deals.
You want Sony to compete only with first-party when Xbox is free to engage third-party studios with first-party game development and third-party timed-exclusivity deals?

How does that make sense?

So what I said isn't facts? Show me evidence of where Microsoft has been able to secure exclusivity deals on third party content for big tent pole franchises and its been passed off as ok...

I'm not talking smaller indie darlings or new ip, that they have been able to go after without upsetting the crazies....

Even hi fi rush got its level of crazy talk because its actually good, as soon as MS locks in something decent the Sony fanbase start attacking.

Consolidation has been happening for years, you could say Microsoft is just on the defensive against companies like tencent, embracer group....amazon.....Google....many more...or does that not fit your narrative?

Would it have been OK for Facebook to buy Activision...we know they shopped themselves to them, its just MS bid the highest...

Who is on the defensive and who is on the attack to you? Be honest.

Last edited:

Three

So what I said isn't facts? Show me evidence of where Microsoft has been able to secure exclusivity deals on third party content for big tent pole franchises and its been passed off as ok...
Pubg, Dead Rising 3 and 4, Plants vs Zombies, Ark 2 to name a few, if you want to go back further, Mass Effect, GTA 4 Lost and Damned, Ballad of Gay Tony, Star Ocean, Ace Combat, etc. This has been covered numerous times already in the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom