• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So what I said isn't facts? Show me evidence of where Microsoft has been able to secure exclusivity deals on third party content for big tent pole franchises and its been passed off as ok...

I'm not talking smaller indie darlings or new ip, that they have been able to go after without upsetting the crazies....

Even hi fi rush got its level of crazy talk because its actually good, as soon as MS locks in something decent the Sony fanbase start attacking.

Consolidation has been happening for years, you could say Microsoft is just on the defensive against companies like tencent, embracer group....amazon.....Google....many more...or does that not fit your narrative?

Would it have been OK for Facebook to buy Activision...we know they shopped themselves to them, its just MS bid the highest...

Who is on the defensive and who is on the attack to you? Be honest.
Timed-exclusives are timed-exclusives. Applying arbitrary filters (it must be recent, it must be AAA, it must be a new IP, people must not have objected to it, etc.) does not change the reality.

Both companies do timed-exclusivity deals based on what they can afford and what they think will get them the best ROI.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony saying this during their investor calls would be a great start. You are still just making conclusions to support your own narrative without any proof.
Nope. I've already shared a proof that backs up my claim. You haven't.

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...ed-down-offers-prior-sony-acquisition-2984534

Kuittinen detailed how several big businesses from “China, Sweden and the United states” were interested in the developer.

HouseMarque was approached by other companies that want to consolidate the industry. Sony was fine not acquiring them for 20 years. But they had to buy them now because HouseMarque was receiving acquisition offers.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Pubg, Dead Rising 3 and 4, Plants vs Zombies, Ark 2 to name a few, if you want to go back further, Mass Effect, GTA 4 Lost and Damned, Ballad of Gay Tony, Star Ocean, Ace Combat, etc. This has been covered numerous times already in the thread.

Gta 4 is a big one...agree on that...definitely wasn't any issues around that dlc being a timed exclusive...no complaints there at all...or ace combat....

Mass Effect, dead rising, pubg all new ips..nothing compared to final fantasy etc.

Anything since the rise of the Tomb raider debacle?

Alex Scott

Gta 4 is a big one...agree on that...definitely wasn't any issues around that dlc being a timed exclusive...no complaints there at all...or ace combat....

Mass Effect, dead rising, pubg all new ips..nothing compared to final fantasy etc.

PUBG is a very popular IP and so is ARK. Other than Final Fantasy, what other AAA game has SONY money hatted in PS5 generation?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Pubg, Dead Rising 3 and 4, Plants vs Zombies, Ark 2 to name a few, if you want to go back further, Mass Effect, GTA 4 Lost and Damned, Ballad of Gay Tony, Star Ocean, Ace Combat, etc. This has been covered numerous times already in the thread.
I like how you need to go back decade or more for most of the list. Then list ARK 2 like that is on the level of zenimax, SE or Konami game. Just admit you like how things are now were sony gets all major studio games day 1. Your mental gymnastics are legendary. We will have 2 SE money hats in the firsr half of 2023 alone. But that's the same as high on life yes sir!

What type of proof do you need for this? It's based on common sense.

If MS acquires COD, what's the next big IP that Sony fans would want Sony to secure? Most likely, GTA. That's where Take-2 fantasies come from.

Microsoft kickstarted an acquisition spree in the industry. There was nothing going before 2018 until Microsoft kicked the hornest's nest. Then everybody started buying studios left and right.

Sony had worked with HouseMarque for 25+ years without acquiring them. Then HouseMarque head revealed that they received acquisition offers "from the usual suspects." So Sony bought HouseMarque. Was that not defensive?
Holy crap Microsoft bought 6 financially hurting AA studios 1 financially challenged former AAA studio and playground. If that's kicking the hornets nest lol. Its hilarious 😂 Sony could bought 7 of them easily but don't buy fixer uppers.

Three

How on earth is Dead Rising 3 and 4 considered a new IP? It has the number 4 in the title for a reason. Mass Effect 2 is what they got the timed exclusivity on too.

PUBG, Dead Rising 4 and Ark 2 was after the Rise of the Tomb Raider debacle. They caused that Tomb Raider debacle aswell because the game was announced multiplaform and went up for preorder multiplatform then at the xbox showcase some time later MS announced it as exclusive, because they wanted to counter Uncharted 4. we found out it was timed and for how long because people caused the uproar and found out. Doesn't take away from the fact that it still happened though.

Last edited:

Three

I like how you need to go back decade or more for most of the list. Then list ARK 2 like that is on the level of zenimax, SE or Konami game. Just admit you like how things are now were sony gets all major studio games day 1. Your mental gymnastics are legendary. We will have 2 SE money hats in the firsr half of 2023 alone. But that's the same as high on life yes sir!
2017 (PUBG, 2016 Dead Rising 4) isn't a decade ago silly. For reference the FF7 Remake deal was struck in 2015. Don't see you complaining about decades ago when that's what most people cling to. Besides I don't remember anybody cheering for Sony to buy up Take 2, EA, SE or Capcom when MS were making those exclusivity deals years ago. What's changed?

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
2017 (PUBG, 2016 Dead Rising 4) isn't a decade ago silly. For reference the FF7 Remake deal was struck in 2015. Don't see you complaining about decades ago when that's what most people cling to. Besides I don't remember anybody cheering for Sony to buy up Take 2, EA, SE or Capcom when MS were making those exclusivity deals years ago. What's changed?
And you still are going back to 2017 lol for your 1 example. So 1 example in 6 years lol. Think about that for a few minutes and try to say bit both sides do it. I think going back 2 generations is silly.

Yeah, Zenimax, Mojang, and Activision were really financially hurting.
Those were bought in 2018? How many mojang exclusives are there again? You said the 2018 purchases caused this. I listed them. Zenimax waa hurting why else would they need to accept money hats for new games if they were good. The owners wanted out for years for a reason.

Last edited:

Three

And you still are going back to 2017 lol for your 1 example. So 1 example in 6 years lol. Think about that for a few minutes and try to say bit both sides do it. I think going back 2 generations is silly.
I don't know what crazy timeline you're living on where 2017 is a decade or 2 generations ago. 2017 is about the time they shifted to an acquisition strategy due to the need to feed gamepass instead of promise third parties game sales. That's when in 2018 onwards they started to acquire the likes of Ninja Theory, Compulsion Games, Obsidian, inXile, all of Zenimax and now all of Activison Blizzard King in just those few years between. All while still doing those exclusives with other third parties for gamepass with the likes of Ark 2, Stalker 2, High on Life etc but those games don't count for some reason, new small ips like Ghostwire Tokyo obviously do in one direction.

Last edited:

Helghan

Nope. I've already shared a proof that backs up my claim. You haven't.

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...ed-down-offers-prior-sony-acquisition-2984534
HouseMarque was approached by other companies that want to consolidate the industry. Sony was fine not acquiring them for 20 years. But they had to buy them now because HouseMarque was receiving acquisition offers.
That’s no proof at all. Again show me where Sony said they were pushed in the defensive by Microsoft and are buying studios because of that.

Three

That’s no proof at all. Again show me where Sony said they were pushed in the defensive by Microsoft and are buying studios because of that.
They would never publicly say that but you only need to look at what they bought. Not sure if he was making the point that it's specifically because of MS but because of the consolidation that is happening and securing their long time partners who make their games.

Insomniac, independent Sony partner for 20+yrs. Bought only now and they make Sony IP. Housemarque independent Sony partner for 20+yrs bought now and make Sony IP. Nixxes bought and bring Sony IP for PC. Bluepoint for their remakes of Sony IP.

They didn’t buy Ninja Theory and make their sequel exclusive. They didn't buy Capcom and fight regulators to take Monster Hunter away after having just bought Konami and made their games exclusive a year prior.

As much as people try it's pretty obvious these strategies aren't the same and it's about securing continued development of their own games mostly. It's akin to MS buying Undead Labs and Playground games in 2018 and not much else.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So you use housemarque and say ms kicked the hornets nest yet ignore all the other companies like tercent, embracer, amazon, Google, Facebook eating up pubs and devs for the last ten years.....

Quite fitting..... like there wasnt companies after activision....or any other studio up for grabs

Now do one for Sony Gaf. Gotta be fair.....as you are new we have no idea if you actually sit on a list...maybe you're bat shit insane on the Sony side...you never know with blue snakes lol

Also, I will ask again....has Microsoft done any large deals on established ip since the Tomb raider debacle?
Pubg, ARK 2 or simply buying a whole publisher and trying to buy another for example....I can't believe this doesn't seem obvious to anybody.In the same manner wxhat game did sony moneyhatted since FFVII (since we are using arbitrary timeline now)?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So you use housemarque and say ms kicked the hornets nest yet ignore all the other companies like tercent, embracer, amazon, Google, Facebook eating up pubs and devs for the last ten years.....

Quite fitting..... like there wasnt companies after activision....or any other studio up for grabs
Yes. Microsoft kicked the hornet's nest because Amazon, Google, or Facebook does not have a hardware platform. They are also not as big as Xbox in gaming.

Tencent and Embracer are big in gaming, but their acquisitions do not hurt other companies as those games always remain multiplatform.

On the other hand, when Xbox acquired those studios, their sequels and in-production games immediately became Xbox exclusives: Outer Worlds 2, Grounded, Avowed, Hellblade 2, Hi-Fi Rush, Starfield, Redfall, Bleeding Edge, etc.

So Xbox acquisitions started minimizing PlayStation's game library.

To stop that slide, Sony also started acquiring companies that it never felt the need to acquire despite working together for years and decades, e.g., Bluepoint, Insomniac, HouseMarque, etc.

If you look at it objectively for a minute, without feeling the need to refute and defend Microsoft, you will see that I'm right.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Pubg, ARK 2 or simply buying a whole publisher and trying to buy another for example....I can't believe this doesn't seem obvious to anybody.In the same manner wxhat game did sony moneyhatted since FFVII (since we are using arbitrary timeline now)?

Forspoken, final fantasy xvi....exclusive quests on hogwarts....deathloop, ghost wire Tokyo.....attempted to get starfield which caused the Bethesda purchase from MS...

We've not had a real Sony showcase for nearly two years..more will be coming I'm sure.

Helghan

Yes. Microsoft kicked the hornet's nest because Amazon, Google, or Facebook does not have a hardware platform. They are also not as big as Xbox in gaming.

Tencent and Embracer are big in gaming, but their acquisitions do not hurt other companies as those games always remain multiplatform.

On the other hand, when Xbox acquired those studios, their sequels and in-production games immediately became Xbox exclusives: Outer Worlds 2, Grounded, Avowed, Hellblade 2, Hi-Fi Rush, Starfield, Redfall, Bleeding Edge, etc.

To stop that slide, Sony also started acquiring companies that it never felt the need to acquire despite working together for years and decades, e.g., Bluepoint, Insomniac, HouseMarque, etc.

If you look at it objectively for a minute, without feeling the need to refute and defend Microsoft, you will see that I'm right.
Or maybe, just maybe Sony noticed that it actually makes a lot of business sense to buy those studios, like Microsoft is doing. It has nothing to do with being pushed in the defensive, they just found out that they actually also have the funds to put more studios under their flag and that it was a smart business decision if they are run at a "Sony first party studio"-level.

They would never publicly say that but you only need to look at what they bought. Not sure if he was making the point that it's specifically because of MS but because of the consolidation that is happening and securing their long time partners who make their games.

Insomniac, independent Sony partner for 20+yrs. Bought only now and they make Sony IP. Housemarque independent Sony partner for 20+yrs bought now and make Sony IP. Nixxes bought and bring Sony IP for PC. Bluepoint for their remakes of Sony IP.

They didn’t buy Ninja Theory and make their sequel exclusive. They didn't buy Capcom and fight regulators to take Monster Hunter away after having just bought Konami and made their games exclusive a year prior.

As much as people try it's pretty obvious these strategies aren't the same and it's about securing continued development of their own games mostly. It's akin to MS buying Undead Labs and Playground games in 2018 and not much else.

To be fair, Sony has been trying to buy insomniac for decades.

Sony didn't really have interest in Ninja Theory or Ready at Dawn. The same can be said for Quantic Dream or supermassive games.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Forspoken, final fantasy xvi....exclusive quests on hogwarts....deathloop, ghost wire Tokyo.....attempted to get starfield which caused the Bethesda purchase from MS...

We've not had a real Sony showcase for nearly two years..more will be coming I'm sure.
Omg an exclsuive quest ??? Quick let's make another biggest purchase in the history of this industry....And they cause the bethesda purchase by MS , it is crazy how in your mind Sony is the root of all evil....Just like thinking Deathloop, ghostwire tokyo and Forspoken are big games...If we go that way maybe we can add Stalker 2, high on life, the medium, the ascent, Scorn to MS big moneyhat right ?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Forspoken, Deathloop, and Ghostwire Tokyo are new IPs so should not be counted as per your own criteria. Weren't you discarding new IPs that Microsoft was getting timed-exclusivity deals for?

So what I said isn't facts? Show me evidence of where Microsoft has been able to secure exclusivity deals on third party content for big tent pole franchises and its been passed off as ok... I'm not talking smaller indie darlings or new ip, that they have been able to go after without upsetting the crazies....

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

I think his problem will mainly be with the bolded part, I am not sure that he is capable of that.

Three

So we're going with a quest, Forespoken, Ghostwire and theoretical showcases but fail to mention that there was just an xbox specific Paradox Interactive showcase with announced third party exclusives? Why do you only see it on one side?

Three

To be fair, Sony has been trying to buy insomniac for decades.

Sony didn't really have interest in Ninja Theory or Ready at Dawn. The same can be said for Quantic Dream or supermassive games.
That's the first I've heard of it. What made them successful this time? Would have thought if they wanted to buy they would have had better luck before when there wasn't as much consolidation/bidding.

I don't think Sony wanted to buy any of them to be honest but it could have been really bad if some other company did when Sony rely on them for Spiderman, Ratchet and Wolverine. Sony would have had to look for another possibly less experienced studio to do the sequels.

Here is Gameranx losing credibility citing the Pacther interview

Very big differences between MGM, Fox, and Activision

The CMA was chiefly concerned about the future of Sky plc which was assured by the purchase of Comcast. Most of the assets being purchased had little to no impact on the UK and there were no significant SLCs involved.

What about Amazon/MGM? This was a very small purchase compared to Activision and again with limited ramifications on the UK consumer. They bought MGM for 8.5 billion dollars. Amazon is not a major picture chain. There are numerous major picture chains and numerous major streaming chains and MGMs content going to one streaming service isn't a huge SLC.

Neither is analogous to Activision. Now if Amazon were trying to buy say... Disney or WB... maybe regulators would have stepped in.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What happens if tencent, amazon etc bought housemarque and bluepoint....Sony were scared they might start making multiplatform games? So Sony bought them to ensure they stayed exclusive?

There is absolutely no point in going back and forth as it looks like none of us can actually sit in the middle and will rather scream stuff like "waaaa an exclusive quest for a year...waaaa" and ignore final fantasy xvi etc.....I'm not ignoring games like high on life etc....I even said earlier that Microsoft has to be creative with their third party deals since the craziness of Tomb raider...they have to secure smaller studio games to secure marketing deals. This is all backed up with high on life, stalker 2 etc...but never mind....

That's the first I've heard of it. What made them successful this time? Would have thought if they wanted to buy they would have had better luck before when there wasn't as much consolidation/bidding.

I don't think Sony wanted to buy any of them to be honest but it could have been really bad if some other company did when Sony rely on them for Spiderman, Ratchet and Wolverine. Sony would have had to look for another possibly less experienced studio to do the sequels.

I think a few things changed.

1. Insomniac had tried dating other companies and this was largely unsuccessful
2. The cost of staying competitive as an independent studio has increased drastically
3. The success of Spider-Man made it mutually valuable for Sony and Insomniac to enshrine their relationship

Insomniac never could have gotten the Spider-Man license without Sony and they probably made the most money they've ever made as a result. Solidifying that relationship and access to resources allowed them to hire more drastically and expand the studio, taking on Spider-Man and Wolverine at the same time. This is coming off the failures of Sunset Overdrive and Fuse

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What happens if tencent, amazon etc bought housemarque and bluepoint....Sony were scared they might start making multiplatform games? So Sony bought them to ensure they stayed exclusive?

There is absolutely no point in going back and forth as it looks like none of us can actually sit in the middle and will rather scream stuff like "waaaa an exclusive quest for a year...waaaa" and ignore final fantasy xvi etc.....I'm not ignoring games like high on life etc....I even said earlier that Microsoft has to be creative with their third party deals since the craziness of Tomb raider...they have to secure smaller studio games to secure marketing deals. This is all backed up with high on life, stalker 2 etc...but never mind....
Yeah I wonder who cried about a hogwart quest...Oh no it was you, just like using parameters to dictate which exclusives matters except for MS then those parameters don't count somehow...No do another what if scenario to justify your bias, that's what matters here what if and ***** too those a really great arguments especially about the biggest acquisition in the history of the medium I'm sure there are a lot of nintendo or sony too that had had 70 billions $ publisher aquisition to compare...Maybe Psyonix or Insomniac?
Just quit the bullshit MS does timed exclusive Sony does timed exclusive there's no white knight but in your head.They are both companies that want nothing more than your money.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The whole asking for receipts and then repeatedly derailing the thread denying reality thing should be at least a thread bannable offense. Like why ask like you're arguing in good faith when you won't accept anything other than a signed personal statement from the CEO?
I agree. What's worse is that they ignore the post and discussion completely as soon as they are proven wrong (instead of acknowledging it), only to bring the same discussion back 20 pages later.

Example:

lzcrrqG.jpg

I did not receive any response after this. No acknowledgment whatsoever. But we both know that this timed-exclusivity discussion will happen again after 10-20 pages.

This is what makes some of these discussions look like they are disingenuous and in bad faith. I respond(ed) because I think those are in good faith, but I am/was obviously wrong.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
There is no one in the batshit insane category because the level between Deranged and Senjustu is just too wide. There is even no words to describe it so I put it as ???????!!!!!
Don't worry that was perfectly clear on your list, no one here lives in the fantasy world that senjutsu lives in .....Although misterxmedia might be even worse.(he was the guy touting a secret GPU in the power brick of the x1)

reksveks

Well you are in the sane category just like R reksveks that I never particularly put in the Xbox fanboy categorie, maybe he is a little more interested toward Xbox but that's it, he is really far from an Xbox fanboy ....A number and sales fanboy is another discussion for him, so much that I tend to not believe any numbers he hasn't reported.

Edit: If you were placed in the insane category you'd legally have to change your username to insanepar
I do care more about the business of the gaming and generally tech than any one company (I am happy to criticise to MS when they make dumb decisions, made one yesterday around OpenAI also need to sort the expandable storage situation). All companies exist to get your $ so all you can do is support companies tactically when they benefit your personal values or produce games that match your tastes.

My personal value is that games as much as they can should be cross-platform and accessible whenever it can be, that's why I am more anti-Apple/Google and pro-'PlayAnywhere' and pro-'xCloud' which then means that I am generally more interested in the xbox ecosystem. I loved the PS3/Vita cross-buy situation as well. In the future, I hope Sony improve their appeal to me by introducing better PS Now via a browser and a cross-buy situation (will require a PC store).

Re: tastes, i don't care about much about any of the Xbox IP's or Sony's one. I generally care about the dev's more, will get a PS5 if/when Altus/Enchance/Ueda's next game is exclusive to PS5.

Think thats enough of a detour.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I do care more about the business of the gaming and generally tech than any one company (I am happy to criticise to MS when they make dumb decisions, made one yesterday around OpenAI also need to sort the expandable storage situation). All companies exist to get your $ so all you can do is support companies tactically when they benefit your personal values or produce games that match your tastes.

My personal value is that games as much as they can should be cross-platform and accessible whenever it can be, that's why I am more anti-Apple/Google and pro-'PlayAnywhere' and pro-'xCloud' which then means that I am generally more interested in the xbox ecosystem. I loved the PS3/Vita cross-buy situation as well. In the future, I hope Sony improve their appeal to me by introducing better PS Now via a browser and a cross-buy situation (will require a PC store).

Re: tastes, i don't care about much about any of the Xbox IP's or Sony's one. I generally care about the dev's more, will get a PS5 if/when Altus/Enchance/Ueda's next game is exclusive to PS5.

Think thats enough of a detour.
So seems like I was pretty spot on with "more interested" but yeah you never struck as particularly fanboyish or anything, I can even remember that we had a little argument quite a while ago and it was a civil discussion and simply two opinions that were different, nothing like some fanboy war that can often be seen here.Anyway I'm glad that you have been marked as sane by our authority on the the subject...Consider yourself crossed of my insanity suspicion list...Sadly i am still in it since Edmund Edmund hasn't yet decided on the subject.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
So seems like I was pretty spot on with "more interested" but yeah you never struck as particularly fanboyish or anything, I can even remember that we had a little argument quite a while ago and it was a civil discussion and simply two opinions that were different, nothing like some fanboy war that can often be seen here.Anyway I'm glad that you have been marked as sane by our authority on the the subject...Consider yourself crossed of my insanity suspicion list...Sadly i am still in it since Edmund Edmund hasn't yet decided on the subject.

He’s banned now for two weeks

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I agree. What's worse is that they ignore the post and discussion completely as soon as they are proven wrong (instead of acknowledging it), only to bring the same discussion back 20 pages later.

Example:

lzcrrqG.jpg

I did not receive any response after this. No acknowledgment whatsoever. But we both know that this timed-exclusivity discussion will happen again after 10-20 pages.

This is what makes some of these discussions look like they are disingenuous and in bad faith. I respond(ed) because I think those are in good faith, but I am/was obviously wrong.

No you are right, on Forspoken, deathloop and ghostwire tokyo...I did not see your post. New IP is different and I do understand the reason for marketing activities on those smaller riskier games. I would say things like High on life as a comparison and not titles from over 12 to 15 years ago such as Mass Effect and dead rising though.

reksveks

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/microsoft-announces-partnership-with-cloud-gaming-provider-boosteroid-to-bring-more-games-to-more-players-around-the-world-301770993.html#:~:text=Boosteroid, which has its software development team in,customers after Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard closes.

Tldr one more cloud provider signed up.

Again not sure it makes a difference. Doubt it.

"This partnership builds on the $430 million in technology and financial assistance we have provided Ukraine since Russia's unlawful invasion, and it exemplifies the steps we will continue to take to support Ukraine's 160,000 software developers," said Brad Smith, Microsoft Vice Chair and President. "It also adds to our recent agreements with Nintendo and NVIDIA, making even more clear to regulators that our acquisition of Activision Blizzard will make 'Call of Duty' available on far more devices than before."

Last edited:

jm89

Regulators should be checking what these deals with the other cloud providers entail e.g. licensing costs, cause i bet that's where we found out all of this is just PR bluster and when we get down to the nitty gritty it ain't gonna look good.

But keep shouting "Available on more devices" as if that will change things.

Last edited:
Zeni before acquisition 26/26 (2 timed exclusive) games multiplat.

Post acquisition 4/4 exclusive.

The regulators see this. You choose not to.
Not every game is guaranteed to every platform. Xbox gamers miss out on multi-platform games regularly. It happens in business. The fact that MS puts some of their first party titles on non-Xbox platforms should be something regulators look at too. They have hardly been the platform about exclusives and the numbers prove that. This is especially true when every game they make hits PC day and date. Looks like you choose to not see some things too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom