• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft admits Xbox Game Pass is Not a Big Money Maker ATM

xStoyax

Banned
"[Xbox Game Pass] is not a big profit play," Aaron Greenberg says of the subscription service.
Xbox Game Pass offers such a good value that many are wondering how Microsoft isn't losing money hand over fist on it. This is a sentiment that Xbox marketing boss Aaron Greenberg hears often, he said in a recent interview with What's Good Games.

Greenberg said people don't need to worry about Microsoft--they'll be just fine. In terms of the profitability of Xbox Game Pass for Microsoft, Greenberg confirmed it's "not a big profit play" right now, as Microsoft is just starting the program. Greenberg said the investments Microsoft is making in Xbox Game Pass today might be costly in the short term, but they will ultimately pay dividends down the road if everything goes to plan.
GameSpot: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-game-pass-is-not-a-big-moneymaker-right-now-b/1100-6480241/

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think it's more of a deal for devs than for MS at the moment, tho I don't think they loose money on it considering he said "not a big profit play" instead of just "profit"

Shocking... with all those subs at 1$

/sarcasm

At least I hope they’re not losing money with this, not that I care personally for their company, but it would be a huge loss if they had to cancel GP, since it is one of the best services from current-gen

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it's more of a deal for devs than for MS at the moment, tho I don't think they loose money on it considering he said "not a big profit play" instead of just "profit"
It also depends on the definition of profitability.

If it's solely on GP subscription revenue, that's one thing. If MS figures out total revenue by including microtrans, Gold subs, people buying games after trying it on GP that's a totally different calculation.

It's like saying why should grocery stores sell basic milk and cheese when both the grocery stores and dairy companies make nothing on it? Why bother? It's to get people into the store to buy other stuff, and the dairy companies can make their profits off other higher margin products.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It will be interesting to see if they can maintain quality of the service after they leave acquisition mode.

That is what I have always asked... how is this service going to get its money back / return on investment? Even for a $19.99 fee a month, the system does not seem designed to scale in a waythat can compensate the perceived loss in game’s value it would bring if it took more and more hold. I am not looking forward to an even potential FREE/99c future like I have seen on the App Store and the micro transactions and subscriptions/GaaS economy it spawned.

slade

So it's not making money for MS at the moment. Does it really matter? You have indie studios saying that the service has helped them engage a wider audience and it's not like they are locked into Gamepass forever.

One thing to keep in mind, this industry is too big for Sony and Nintendo to support all developers. If MS can come in and spread some of their wealth around, it should be commended.

00_Zer0

I like Gamepass, but MS made it so cheap who wouldn't want to try it out? Since I mostly game on PC where great deals can be had everyday I will probably drop Gamepass once it expires for me sometime in 2021. At some point MS will stop all the deals and have to make money and when they inevitably start the price hike I'm out.

Last edited:
I don't understand the weird GAF obsession with Game Pass profitability. If it provided a value to you, who cares if MS profits from it. If it isn't a viable service to them and remain in whatever parameters they set.. they'll scratch it. They are obviously playing the long game.. just like they were with xbox live.

Kerotan

There's no way this service is making them money. Take Halo infinite for example, budget rumoured to be $500M+. You would need 4 million people paying full price for 12 months to get a return on just that game alone. Now add in all their first party titles and hundreds of third party titles and you can easily see this thing being a bad short term investment.

If the next xbox flops and GP subs can't reach 30-40M I can't see them every making a profit.

I don't understand the weird GAF obsession with Game Pass profitability. If it provided a value to you, who cares if MS profits from it. If it isn't a viable service to them and remain in whatever parameters they set.. they'll scratch it. They are obviously playing the long game.. just like they were with xbox live.
If you love GP surely you want to see it making a healthy profit to ensure it's long term viability.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

There's no way this service is making them money. Take Halo infinite for example, budget rumoured to be $500M+. You would need 4 million people paying full price for 12 months to get a return on just that game alone. Now add in all their first party titles and hundreds of third party titles and you can easily see this thing being a bad short term investment.

If the next xbox flops and GP subs can't reach 30-40M I can't see them every making a profit.

You say that like there are 50 million Game Pass subs and there will be no stand alone Halo sales. Steam sales alone will pay for it. PC sales are a big reason this isn't as much of a money sink as it could be.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
Obvious to anyone that wasn't in denial. I got so far about 8 months of PC gamepass for less than $2.

Not only are they killing their traditional first party games sales and viability (pushing them all to be GaaS), it can't be cheap to pay all those third party devs, specially if you are including games like RDR2.

If you are a dev you just make a calculation if the money MS is offering you is worth the risk off going after your projected sales or not. On the long term however, gamepass is killing the potencial sales of everyone.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
tenor.gif

vkbest

Because is important. If the service is not profitable, means probably you will not have the current service quality on 2-4 years from now, or even the service could be dropped.

Bryank75

Banned
So it's not making money for MS at the moment. Does it really matter? You have indie studios saying that the service has helped them engage a wider audience and it's not like they are locked into Gamepass forever.

One thing to keep in mind, this industry is too big for Sony and Nintendo to support all developers. If MS can come in and spread some of their wealth around, it should be commended.
Great point and the good MS / Xbox does is often lost in all the talk of what people want them to do....

Personally I am not cool with all the subscription stuff they are bringing in but on the other side it does give an income stream and visibility to indies and other games that would otherwise fail in the large market.

Bryank75

Banned
If gamepass in its current form isn't sustainable, what's the plan long term?

DLC riddled GaaS titles? Big price hike? Both?
Well, yes... that's why Halo is called infinite.... it will get loads of expansions that you pay for. The next Forza also doesn't have a number, so I expect that is a GAAS also.....
I would guess many of the games thye are making will be like that.... Everwild for instance!

turtlepowa

Banned
It's quite simple. New consoles are going to be released soon and the warriors are preparing for battle. So the follwoing things are utter crap:

- The complete showcase
- Halo
- Spencer
- Lockhart
- Current gen support
- Game Pass
- 12 TF

Because is important. If the service is not profitable, means probably you will not have the current service quality on 2-4 years from now, or even the service could be dropped.
Ok... As a consumer I still don't see how this concerns me. If the service quality drops, so will subscriptions, and the service will fail. Then you go back to buying game like normal. Ms loses money.. it doesn't come out of my wallet.

Rikoi

Ok... As a consumer I still don't see how this concerns me. If the service quality drops, so will subscriptions, and the service will fail. Then you go back to buying game like normal. Ms loses money.. it doesn't come out of my wallet.
Because they will develop shit games with poor budget just to fill the gamepass instead of good high quality games if they keep going in this direction

Schmick

Exactly. Why people are making such a big thing of this i don't know.

You got to invest in something first to make money.

Schmick

Because they will develop shit games with poor budget just to fill the gamepass instead of good high quality games if they keep going in this direction
I disagree, when you look at the spectacular game FS2020 and the fact that Forza is revealed as being in early development despite already being in 2-3 years development. Turn 10 clearly are not being asked to rush out the product.

Freeman

Banned

Come on, GaaS was always the plan, it's in the name.

The price is also going to be increased overtime, the fact that they want to include streaming in it is a huge indication of that, it ain't going to be cheap to keep all those servers running.

The potencial market for gamepass/gamestraming is way smaller than the market for video streaming, as evidenced by everyone that tried to push for it including Google.

Netflix alone has more subscribers than Live Gold and PS+ combined. My mom ain't about to play Halo anytime soon.

Last edited:

GHG

Surprise. It took Netflix years to make money.

They're not making money, they are still buried in mountains of debt financing.

These are the types of questions everyone should be asking about all of these subscription services (not just gaming), but nobody is.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
I disagree, when you look at the spectacular game FS2020 and the fact that Forza is revealed as being in early development despite already being in 2-3 years development. Turn 10 clearly are not being asked to rush out the product.

To be honest: 343 also wasn't being asked to rush out a product and look what we got (as of now, who knows, maybe the following months will bring some kind of miracle).

vkbest

The problem is that a service like this could make changes on the industry. Imagine AAA being irrelevant because this, and after MS drop this because low profit.

Anyway, there are people who paid several years already.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Takes years , look at Spotify and Netflix, it is a long term strategy.
Spotify & Netflix were never practically giving away year subs. Assuming MS aren't paying publishers, like, 0,0001$ per download (Spotify pay $0.006 to $0.0084 per play on music with an average run time of 4mins, I'm sure per download MS are paying way more seeing as GP isn't a streaming service), I imagine MS are losing money on any even averagely popular game on the service from those 1$ subs.

It's unsustainable and the "plan" Aaron Greenberg is obviously referring to is raising the price and killing all of these ridiculous deals.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So the question that comes naturally is, why the fuck is microsoft doing this?

They don't care about selling consoles and their game pass is a money hog, what's the point of their business?

Last edited:
Top Bottom