• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft bought Crytek and will be announced at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nautilus

Banned
Well, it makes sense on paper.Crytek was almost bankrupt a few years ago if I'm not mistaken, and ever since crysis 3, they have had a really hard time making good games, or devs using their engine.

If someone could explain to me the current status of the company, I would be thankful!

But yeah, this seems fake.Guess we will see.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
There'd be no reason for this. Crytek is a dying company that hasn't been very profitable lately and has abandoned the only IP anyone ever liked from them. What would be the net benefit of this transaction? More bodies? Microsoft is stacked with talent after their acquisitions, acquiring a mediocre and dying studio makes no sense.

GHG

Gold Member
We need a single player game in the Hunt Universe.

GIF by moodman

I really wanted to like that game but fuck me it's a campy piece of trash. Everyone takes it far too seriously. A single player game based on it would be aces.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There'd be no reason for this. Crytek is a dying company that hasn't been very profitable lately and has abandoned the only IP anyone ever liked from them. What would be the net benefit of this transaction? More bodies? Microsoft is stacked with talent after their acquisitions, acquiring a mediocre and dying studio makes no sense.
They might come cheap. Insomniac was bought out for just $220 million. Crytek should be half that.

Andodalf

Banned

Cheap stuff

Plantoid

Crysis IP has potential, cryengine not so much... If they're cheap, then nice move, I'm in for a new Crysis game tho

harmny

Banned
I can believe this. Crytek has been in a horrible financial state for years. Cryengine was once the best engine ever and now nobody uses it. They were in such a bad state that they sued star citizen for money. A microsoft acquisition is a no brainer. Good move (by crytek 🤣)

Last edited:

Banned
I wouldn't call the Cryengine a "quality addition" to Microsoft's portfolio lol
barely any game even uses it and the ones that do regularly ran like ass on console. with Prey being the only exception I know of... but even there only on One X, and not on any other system... where it ran like ass

and especially since Microsoft has way better engines at their disposal now with iD Tech, Slipspace and Forza Tech. the latter of which will be used for Fable 4 so it clearly is very flexible outside of racing games as well.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Their engine technology is some of the best in the business. When you see how much 343 has struggled in that regard an acquisition like this definitely makes sense.

But then they already have iD tech (but I'm not sure that engine scales well to open world games?) so who knows.

Banned
Their engine technology is some of the best in the business. When you see how much 343 has struggled in that regard an acquisition like this definitely makes sense.

But then they already have iD tech (but I'm not sure that engine scales well to open world games?) so who knows.

again, i don't see it... show me a Cryengine game (outside of maybe Ryse) on any console that looks amazing and runs decently well. and older versions can't even run properly on PC

Last edited:

Banned
MS was impressed by Crysis Reboot??? Game looks worse than original almost 15 years ago

it doesn't. only in some aspects, but overall it looks way better. better draw distance, better effects, RT, better CPU utilization etc. you still can't keep the og Crysis 1 at above 60fps on ANY modern PC... impossible... there are at least 2 scenes where any CPU will not be able to keep up. the remaster runs way better

it is terrible on most consoles tho

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's one acquisition I wouldn't really care about either way. They have some graphics tech I guess, and... Yeah.

GHG

Gold Member
again, i don't see it... show me a Cryengine game (outside of maybe Ryse) on any console that looks amazing and runs decently well. and older versions can't even run properly on PC

The idea that games that are made with their engine don't run well on PC is an outdated one. Hunt Showdown runs very well as do the recent Sniper Ghost Warrior games.

The original Crysis was a pig to run for a very long time because it was a game made with future hardware in mind but the earliest versions of the engine had fatal issues with memory leaks and multi-threading (both of which have since been fixed since Cryengine 2).

It's a very robust engine now.

Last edited:

dottme

Isn’t Microsoft announced a lot of game on UE5? Why doing everything on UE5 and then moved to CryEngine?

elliot5

If any rumor of MS buying IP (emphasis on IP, not studios) then maybe they just buy the Ryse IP off Crytek for a few million. That seems smarter than the studio.

Banned

The idea that games that are made with their engine don't run well on PC is an outdated one. Hunt Showdown runs very well as do the recent Sniper Ghost Warrior games.

The original Crysis was a pig to run for a very long time because it was a game made with future hardware in mind but the earliest versions of the engine had fatal issues with memory leaks and multi-threading (both of which have since been fixed since Cryengine 2).

their own games are the ones that do well on console, but even there it is hit and miss. Ryse and Hunt are the only 2. Crysis remaster ran like ass on any console with a multitute of issues to boot, any older crysis version ran like ass on any console. Sniper Ghost Warrior (any one) runs like ass on console... Prey runs like ass on console (except One X and Series X, although One X was just about ok)

every time I see a Cryengine splash screen I am automatically thinking "oh, this for sure will not run without a pile of issues"
one of the Sniper Ghost Warriors games (3?) was such a mess that you couldn't even really snipe in it because the draw distance didn't allow it and your targets would be invisible xD all while having literally 4 to 5 minute long loading times and a terrible framerate

even if the engine is amazing (which I disagree with given the evidence), we at least can say that third party devs who license it almost always deliver a mess of a game that has shitloads of issues. (I mean it took 2 patches for Prey in order to be somewhat playable on PS4/Pro)

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

AmuroChan

That's not an acquisition that's going to excite anybody, unless MS is purely acquiring them for the engine. Ryse is not an important IP. Crysis doesn't add much to their portfolio when sci-fi shooters are already well represented.

Jaybe

it’s not out of the realm of possibility, but you would never leak by saying the location and helping whittle down the personnel responsible.

I think MS would rather put their acquisition money on something industry changing or at least a larger IP catalog, bank of back compat games that can be added to Game Pass, and several titles in development.

Spidey Fan

Banned
What a waste of money for MS IMO - if true.
i dont see a waste in crysis. so, far, xbox has limited shooter games (gears isnt full shooter game). Crysis is a good pc shooter game, outside of halo (doom is doom). Having that game as single player shooter is great. You can use is to counter horizon games, since both games are graphic demanding games.

Tschumi

I mean, I dunno if this is true... But I wouldn't be particularly put out by it... In my mind - it's not fully informed mind you - Crytek hasn't been particularly hot shit since Crysis.. I know their engine made Deliverance and stuff, and became part of star citizen's folk lore, so props to them for that, but yeah to be honest it kinda feels like Crytek need to be absorbed by a bigger company, who will airdrop competent managers into the situation and get the best out of their technical know-how (such as it may be these days)

I'm optimistic that gaming in general might receive a worthwhile product form these guys if they're under new management.

They have pretty much the pioneers of 3d gaming under their roof (ID)….I’m sure they can lend a hand in getting the cry engine to run the crisis reboot on a 4x sli 3090ti at 30fps

GHG

Gold Member
their own games are the ones that do well on console, but even there it is hit and miss. Ryse and Hunt are the only 2. Crysis remaster ran like ass on any console with a multitute of issues to boot, any older crysis version ran like ass on any console. Sniper Ghost Warrior (any one) runs like ass on console... Prey runs like ass on console (except One X and Series X, although One X was just about ok)

every time I see a Cryengine splash screen I am automatically thinking "oh, this for sure will not run without a pile of issues"
one of the Sniper Ghost Warriors games was such a mess that you couldn't even really snipe in it because the draw distance didn't allow it and your targets would be invisible xD all while having literally 4 to 5 minute long loading times and a terrible framerate

even if the engine is amazing, we at least can say that third party devs who license it almost always deliver a mess of a game that has shitloads of issues. (I mean it took 2 patches for Prey in order to be somewhat playable on PS4/Pro)

They wouldn't need to bother with Playstation consoles anymore so maybe that would help?

There's also the question of whether Microsoft would continue to allow them to license the engine to third party devs. I can only speak from a PC perspective but Prey 2017 and Ghost Warrior 3 ran very well for me on my previous rig. Ghost Warrior 3 was a buggy POS though but I'm not sure that can be attributed to the engine itself when it was mostly gameplay bugs.

Buy all those devs who shit-talked your platform, that will teach them.

First those id devs and now they are coming for Ali Salehi. Poor guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom