• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO: We’re Investing Aggressively in Content, Community and Cloud Services for Gaming.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://wccftech.com/microsoft-ceo-investing-aggressively/

Microsoft hosted the yearly shareholders meeting conference call yesterday. Among various topics, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella talked about the company’s plans to invest aggressively in content, community and cloud services for gaming.

"[…] in gaming, we’re pursuing an expansive opportunity from the way the games are created and distributed to how they’re played and viewed. And we’re investing aggressively in the content, community and cloud services across every endpoint to expand the usage and deepen engagement with gamers, including the 57 million monthly Xbox Live users. Finally, we added seven new gaming studios to bolster the first party content for fast growing gaming services like Xbox Game Pass subscription service as well as Mixer."​
Later in the call, another Microsoft representative highlighted the two key initiatives for these plans. Xbox Game Pass should increase the reach of gaming beyond the usual audience in a manner akin to Spotify for music and Netflix for video, while Project xCloud will allow a quality experience consistent with PC and consoles on any device.

"Today, four billion people are connected to the Internet and over two billion play games online. As Satya mentioned, over the next decade we’re going to continue to create amazing content and games, invest in the cloud and build communities that allow anyone to participate. We have a mix of incredible games for people of all ages but we want to make it easier to discover new games and play them either on your Xbox or your PC.​
Earlier this year, we introduced the Xbox Game Pass, a content subscription service for gaming. Just like with Spotify and Netflix have done for music and video, Xbox Game Pass will allow us to reach beyond the two billion people playing games today. With over a hundred games available for just $10 a month, we are truly excited to bring gaming to everyone. But we’re also building a robust cloud platform so that anyone can play the games they want with the people they want at any time and place, and most importantly, on any device.​
Earlier this year, we announced Project xCloud, our future streaming gaming platform with the goal of delivering a quality experience for all gamers on all devices. We’re building a service that’s consistent with the speed and high fidelity that gamers expect on their PCs and their consoles."​

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I don’t know if it’s fully open, but with Phil having a seat at the big boys table, he is definately there to cheerlead the gaming division.

Without him I don’t think investment in the Xbox brand would even be close to where it is now.

Kagey K

Banned
Microsoft just held a shareholders meeting and talked about gaming a lot, they even showed gaming demos.
See this is something old MS wouldn’t do.

Even when 360 was “winning” they would gloss over the gaming division and give it a nutshell approach.

If things like this don’t show MS new commitment to gaming I’m not sure anything ever will.

Fox Mulder

MS passed Apple for most valuable company. Crazy how diversified they are and they're making bank off cloud services and enterprise.

Xbox won't go anywhere as long as they're happy with it.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Even reported the $10 billion in gaming revenue for the 2018 year in the same share holders meeting also. Glad the coverage their giving this division now.

Last edited:

Pallas

This is pretty exciting that they are fully committed to gaming and it appears they plan on it extending play anywhere to the next gen with expanding game pass to the PC market.

This is truly a different Microsoft compare to the OG Xbox/360 and early X1 days.

Zannegan

That certainly is true. I'm not personally interested in a cloud gaming service, but a lot of companies see it as the future, and you'd have to be a fool not to try to position your company as the Netflix of gaming. If you want to sell a service, you have to have unique content, so now is the time to invest in content creators.

I'd like to see MS come roaring back next gen. The missteps of the PS3 (and its subsequent failure to dominate as the PS1 and 2 did) did wonders for the PS4. I hope Microsoft has the same kind of tight focus and vision for the XBox 4k. I take their delivery on the promises of Scorpio as a very good sign.

Granted, it is a little nerve-wracking to see one company buying up so many development houses at once, but I hope for the best (and I hope Sony and Nintendo respond by trying to beef up their own development capabilities).

ZehDon

And the cheque book is now fully open.
When Microsoft decide to move, they don't mess around. Sony humiliated them this generation, and Mattrick left Spencer to pick up the pieces of an utterly failed brand direction. I'm very interested to see what happens when the console reveals start.

I don’t know if it’s fully open, but with Phil having a seat at the big boys table, he is definately there to cheerlead the gaming division.

Without him I don’t think investment in the Xbox brand would even be close to where it is now.

The Xbox brand took a shit kicking after the Xbone announcement fuck-up and deservedly so. I bought the thing anyways for the games I liked on the X360. Phil took over and started doing what he could to fix the things he could fix. They shipped a half-gen console that is very strong, they dumped the shit-fest Kinect, and they started focusing more on the people that will buy the X1X. Elite controllers, etc, instead of trying to be an everyman. The problem they still have is games, or the lack thereof compared to the X360 in it's heyday. This trend of buying up game developers shows me they have an actual corporate level interest in growing the Xbox brand back up to sell their more profitable cloud services and secure a top spot in an online only future. If only half of these studios produce good games, it will still mean a lot of new exclusives for the console which solves the main issue I currently have with my Xbox. I jut wish they would make more games Play Anywhere titles.

When Microsoft decide to move, they don't mess around. Sony humiliated them this generation, and Mattrick left Spencer to pick up the pieces of an utterly failed brand direction. I'm very interested to see what happens when the console reveals start.

Mattrick basically nuked XBox and Spencer had to rebuild from the ruins of that. Sony has always been #1 in gaming since they launched Playstation in 1994 and never really messed up that badly.

They need lots of exclusive content for GamePass to be successful. And it needs to not be locked to MS devices. It's going to be hilarious if MS laps Sony in game streaming because first off, that's the future of all gaming and two, Sony got their service up first and its been up and running for years now and yet they've done nothing to try and grow that part of their business.

quickwhips

You won't be playing them on your switch but you will be on your phone, or tablet, or laptop, or your school/work desktop, your smart-fridge, etc.
If Nintendo goes mobile it could be a killer partnership to stream from Xbox to switch. Play without streaming on Xbox. It would be a cool setup.

quickwhips

How would that even technically work, unless the Switch OS was running the xCloud streaming application? Even if it could be built - no way Nintendo would allow it.
If they want to be the Netflix of streaming games they will need to talk to platform holders like Nintendo. I’m not saying Nintendo won’t say no.

EDMIX

See this is something old MS wouldn’t do.

Even when 360 was “winning” they would gloss over the gaming division and give it a nutshell approach.

If things like this don’t show MS new commitment to gaming I’m not sure anything ever will.

Sure MS hasn't done that often, it will still take time to see if they continue. What they are doing for a few months is irrelevant to years. It will still take time to see if they really are doing this for the long run.

EDMIX

Mattrick basically nuked XBox and Spencer had to rebuild from the ruins of that. Sony has always been #1 in gaming since they launched Playstation in 1994 and never really messed up that badly.

True, but I don't really like how folks like to throw Mattrick under the bus as if he alone was ok with those concepts. He can't turn XB into a Taco Bell competitor folks, he just doesn't have that type of power. So my biggest issue is MS THE COMPANY was completely fine with what he was doing. That is worriesome and doesn't make me take it out of Mattrick or even Phil that hard as they can only do what MS is allowing. So of course they will have to jump threw hoops and push MS to actually focus on their gaming division more seriously vs timed games, always online DRM etc. They should have always been going after Sony HEAD ON!

Sony basically wrote the blueprint of how to dominate the market. FIRST PARTY, FIRST PARTY, FIRST PARTY...NEW IP, NEW IP, NEW IP. This is how they work. It hasn't failed them, especially when the worst selling PS, still beat a XB in sales and is only behind Wii by about 10 million units or so. So to be in such a small gap from the best selling Nintendo home console and beat out MS and still do their worst, tells me they clearly have a smart gameplan if that is failing for them .

They should have not been trying to find a place Sony has already traveled to without a map. MS will do just fine if they just continue to let those team make new IP. They can't have their brand solely about Halo, Gears, Forza. That has been hurtful to them as folks just have preconceptions on what owning a XB will be like. Nothing wrong with those 3 IP, something is wrong when its 90% of their focus every gen. Keep only using old IP, you'll keep only getting the same gamers. To do the Sony blueprint, they need new AAA series every gen, ALONG with some established.

New gamers are happy, established gamers are happy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
True, but I don't really like how folks like to throw Mattrick under the bus as if he alone was ok with those concepts. He can't turn XB into a Taco Bell competitor folks, he just doesn't have that type of power. So my biggest issue is MS THE COMPANY was completely fine with what he was doing. That is worriesome and doesn't make me take it out of Mattrick or even Phil that hard as they can only do what MS is allowing. So of course they will have to jump threw hoops and push MS to actually focus on their gaming division more seriously vs timed games, always online DRM etc. They should have always been going after Sony HEAD ON!

Sony basically wrote the blueprint of how to dominate the market. FIRST PARTY, FIRST PARTY, FIRST PARTY...NEW IP, NEW IP, NEW IP. This is how they work. It hasn't failed them, especially when the worst selling PS, still beat a XB in sales and is only behind Wii by about 10 million units or so. So to be in such a small gap from the best selling Nintendo home console and beat out MS and still do their worst, tells me they clearly have a smart gameplan if that is failing for them .

They should have not been trying to find a place Sony has already traveled to without a map. MS will do just fine if they just continue to let those team make new IP. They can't have their brand solely about Halo, Gears, Forza. That has been hurtful to them as folks just have preconceptions on what owning a XB will be like. Nothing wrong with those 3 IP, something is wrong when its 90% of their focus every gen. Keep only using old IP, you'll keep only getting the same gamers. To do the Sony blueprint, they need new AAA series every gen, ALONG with some established.

Actually, Sony's strategy of dominating is third party, third party, third party. And for first party games, open up the coffers and buy game studios and bring them in house.

Most of Sony's best first party games and studios (especially in the past 10 years) come from studios they acquired.

Last edited:

Actually, Sony's strategy of dominating is third party, third party, third party. And for first party games, open up the coffers and buy game studios and bring them in house.

Most of Sony's best first party games and studios (especially in the past 10 years) come from studios they acquired.

EDMIX must not be very old otherwise if he was old enough to be around when Sony entered this business then he'd know that it was third party that was the key factor. The PSOne was not known for first party. What Playstation is known for is getting games. Things like getting GTA on PS2 first for example played a huge role in them dominating. That and better hardware at the time of release plus the format. CD helped a lot for PSOne, DVD helped a lot for PS2 and bluray helped a bit for the PS3.

Sony wrote the blueprint on how to have good relations with third party developers and get exclusive deals. Their internal teams are no better than Nintendo's. This is why Sony fanatics hate Microsoft, they hate them going after third party because they want everything to come to Playstation.

Nintendo has always had first party yet they are up and down, at times at the bottom. Fanboys will always highlight exclusives being the most important because to them that is how they identify the system. The guy keeps talking about being a PC gamer, so why does he care so much about the Xbox? Not once does he ever treat Microsoft next game as something he is either interested in or not. Instead it's always Xbox as a package. Anyone else ever notice that?

This topic is about MS investing for the future, EDMIX should be happy and leave it at that but he can't.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Thats part of it, but that hasn't always been as good as their first party. For example, remember when stuff like Half life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry etc only came to XB? Sony not having a powerful system and basically not working with lots of third party to build PS2, that hurt them in terms of a games they could have had.

Same with PS3. The cell was pretty much built for what SONY wanted vs 3rd party, resulting in lots of games not coming to their system like Left 4 Dead series or even The Crew. So I'd say, First party has always been solid for Sony, third party has gotten better over the generations for them though, but that ironically wants always their best area in terms of focus.

And yet Sony's best known studios, Naughty Dog, have yet to release one new IP this entire generation. The PS4's success was already established by the time Sony created worthwhile new IP's like Horizon. How many Halo games have been out on the Xbox One? How many Gears of War games have come? So stop acting like they are 90% of the focus. This topic is about MS investing for the future, you should be happy and leave it at that but you can't.

Last edited:
Thats part of it, but that hasn't always been as good as their first party. For example, remember when stuff like Half life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry etc only came to XB? Sony not having a powerful system and basically not working with lots of third party to build PS2, that hurt them in terms of a games they could have had.

Same with PS3. The cell was pretty much built for what SONY wanted vs 3rd party, resulting in lots of games not coming to their system like Left 4 Dead series or even The Crew. So I'd say, First party has always been solid for Sony, third party has gotten better over the generations for them though, but that ironically wants always their best area in terms of focus.

You're a huge MGS fan, even your avatar. Those games are not 1st party. Sony used deals like MGS4 to force gamers to their system but MGSV came to the Xbox. Like I said, Sony's 1st party is not how they became dominate. This topic is about MS investing for the future, you should be happy and leave it at that but you can't.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
Sony basically wrote the blueprint of how to dominate the market. FIRST PARTY, FIRST PARTY, FIRST PARTY...NEW IP, NEW IP, NEW IP. This is how they work. It hasn't failed them, especially when the worst selling PS, still beat a XB in sales and is only behind Wii by about 10 million units or so. So to be in such a small gap from the best selling Nintendo home console and beat out MS and still do their worst, tells me they clearly have a smart gameplan if that is failing for them.

Last confirmed numbers at the end of last gen had the 360 still ahead of the PS3. Do you have a source that the PS3 has sold 100+ million units? The last hard data had the PS3 finishing 3rd in a 3 console race last gen.

Also. Sony wrote the blueprint on how to lock other consoles out of third party games.

EDMIX

Last confirmed numbers at the end of last gen had the 360 still ahead of the PS3. Do you have a source that the PS3 has sold 100+ million units? The last hard data had the PS3 finishing 3rd in a 3 console race last gen.

Also. Sony wrote the blueprint on how to lock other consoles out of third party games.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250980/playstation-3-lifetime-sales-overtakes-the-xbox-360/

and never said anything about PS3 selling 100+ million units....

Keep in mind even if they are neck and neck...RROD will actually show that the number of working units can not be equal to that to PS3's by default, which means PS3 very much sold more units to people vs someone buying a 360 4 or 5 times lol

Last edited:

Pallas

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250980/playstation-3-lifetime-sales-overtakes-the-xbox-360/

Keep in mind even if they are neck and neck...RROD will actually show that the number of working units can not be equal to that to PS3's by default, which means PS3 very much sold more units to people vs someone buying a 360 4 or 5 times lol

That’s kind of splitting hairs there using RROD, considering PS3 had its own hardware failure ala yellow light of death(should those be discredited as well) , plus Vgcharts as far as I know are just estimates and not official. I could use a different source like Wikipedia and say it’s factual.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_generation_of_video_game_consoles

EDMIX

That’s kind of splitting hairs there using RROD, considering PS3 had its own hardware failure ala yellow light of death(should those be discredited as well) , plus Vgcharts as far as I know are just estimates and not official. I could use a different source like Wikipedia and say it’s factual.

More failed based on RROD and even if we see them neck and neck, the fact that they were able to come a year later, more expensive and do that goes to show that even their worst can match MS best. Still goes to show that they have a formula that works for them time and time again.

New IP and more studios making quality games shouldn't be a debate, that should be default for all publishers. MS is realizing what Sony has been doing since they entered gaming.

New gen, new IPs, new series along with established. MS is finally getting that now, but Sony has always got that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

You also had people buying PS3s to use as a BR player, while people already had DVD players when 360 came out.

So essentially, PS3 had tons of free sales due to having a new media where people killed two birds with one stone (like my brothers who bought a slim to game and watch BR). All for $300.

Sony also had legions of fans from past generations and has a global presence where PS3 sold around 10 million in Japan alone, while 360 barely cracked 1 million.

Yet PS3 only sold about 85 million. Just a little less than the 150 million PS2s.

While GC and Xbox increased to about 100 million for Wii and also around 85 million for 360.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
More failed based on RROD and even if we see them neck and neck, the fact that they were able to come a year later, more expensive and do that goes to show that even their worst can match MS best. Still goes to show that they have a formula that works for them time and time again.

New IP and more studios making quality games shouldn't be a debate, that should be default for all publishers. MS is realizing what Sony has been doing since they entered gaming.

New gen, new IPs, new series along with established. MS is finally getting that now, but Sony has always got that.
What MS has realized is to do what Sony has done for 25 years..... buy out other game studios and take them in house.

And because they now have their billions of dollars let loose, they are buyers.

Sony on the other hand are sellers.

And the more MS acquires, the fewer games go to Sony. For example, don't expect any Obsidion, InXile and NT games going to Sony systems ever again. But Xbox and PC, for sure.

EDMIX

What MS has realized is to do what Sony has done for 25 years..... buy out other game studios and take them in house.

And because they now have their billions of dollars let loose, they are buyers.

Sony on the other hand are sellers.

And the more MS acquires, the fewer games go to Sony. For example, don't expect any Obsidion, InXile and NT games going to Sony systems ever again. But Xbox and PC, for sure.

Ok....logically that would be the point of MS buying them lol

Keep in mind, MS also makes studios in house same as Sony too. Sony is still very much a buyer as they are likely looking for studios to buy before PS5 if not internally making new ones. So yea, I won't expect MS to put those games on PS systems just like we wouldn't expect Sony to put their IPs on MS systems so..... (not really sure what you mean as thats pretty obvious and doesn't really need to be stated) lol

Now he's using VGChartz as his source, why am I not surprised, and then suggesting people bought 4 or 5 systems that made such an impact. I guarantee this guy will not change next generation either no matter what Microsoft does.

VGChartz is a joke a was a banned site to link on GAF for a reason.

Sales of 360s does not include systems replaced by MS. Sales are based off retail and not manufacture replacements. It's always been a complete bullshit excuse Sony fans like TLW has used, which is a completely false narrative. 360 outsold PS3 last gen, though it doesn't really matter. What prizes did we all win again? Oh, that's right. Not shit. Why it matters so much how your plastic overloads sold over another is ridiculous. Enjoy what you enjoy and don't care about someone else's enjoyment. Others don't have to fail for you to feel special, ya know...

EDMIX

VGChartz is a joke a was a banned site to link on GAF for a reason.

Sales of 360s does not include systems replaced by MS. Sales are based off retail and not manufacture replacements. It's always been a complete bullshit excuse Sony fans like TLW has used, which is a completely false narrative. 360 outsold PS3 last gen, though it doesn't really matter. What prizes did we all win again? Oh, that's right. Not shit. Why it matters so much how your plastic overloads sold over another is ridiculous. Enjoy what you enjoy and don't care about someone else's enjoyment. Others don't have to fail for you to feel special, ya know...

Thats nice.

The system still outsold the 360 even being a year late and more money. RROD alone pretty much means by default its unlikely MS sold to more people. Simply making a point that Sony as a publisher has had a solid blueprint to do well with for generations. You can split hairs all day, but the point is simply that Sony has done so well with their blueprint, their worst is MS best......

Let that sink in...

Had nothing to do with making anyone feel bad either, read the post....the point being made is that the thing Sony does every gen has helped them greatly, even if you debate 360 vs PS3, the fact that its debatable with a system that launched a year late and more money should tell you something about how well they are able to do what they do each gen.

The point is simply that its more likely Sony would continue this Blueprint and MS should follow that blueprint. You can bicker over 360 vs PS3 all day bud, but it being debatable at all sorta proves my point anyway. Uncharted, Resistance, Demon Souls, The Last Of Us, Infamous etc helped them big time and going new IP like they always did got them out of a bad situation. We still got a GT, Ratchet game, several Killzones etc.

Don't get too hung up on the numbers bud, the point is simply that the method of how they handle their first party studios has helped them basically sell the most home consoles out of any other company in gaming.

Clearly they are doing something correct if their worst is MS best...

Last edited:
Thats nice.

The system still outsold the 360 even being a year late and more money. RROD alone pretty much means by default its unlikely MS sold to more people. Simply making a point that Sony as a publisher has had a solid blueprint to do well with for generations. You can split hairs all day, but the point is simply that Sony has done so well with their blueprint, their worst is MS best......

Let that sink in...

Console wars is serious business.

Thats nice.

Let that sink in...
Sony will always do well. That's just the brand recognition Playstation holds world wide. What's more impressive is that the new commer to the console space outsold them in only their second outing.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Thats nice.

The system still outsold the 360 even being a year late and more money. RROD alone pretty much means by default its unlikely MS sold to more people.

So lets stop right here, are you refuting wikipedia numbers with references over the shit show VGchartz? Microsoft replaced RRoD, Sony didn't replace my YLoD.

EDMIX

Sony will always do well. That's just the brand recognition Playstation holds world wide. What's more impressive is that the new commer to the console space outsold them in only their second outing.

"Sony will always do well. That's just the brand recognition" Nope. They did well with PSVita? Nintendo do well with Wii U? How about MS with XONE?

So success is not inevitable. Something must actually be done to have someone buy the product. if it was just the brand alone moving units, MS would not be selling less platforms right now and buying teams to prepare for next gen. SOMETHING must be done to get those sales. (have no clue why you are still hung up on this too)

The point is simply that what Sony has a blueprint that has them able to do the same things many times and have solid sales almost every gen.

This is what MS is now seeking to do.

Fitzchiv

Kind of nice seeing this article and the comments to shareholders as it's exactly what I pointed out in the "MS spreading too thin?" thread.

MS see the future trend, which is consumers owning flexible high end hardware that performs multiple roles for them. The money is in being part of what they DO on those devices, not just in the device itself. Hardware will play it's part, but this is about being the glue between the various touchpoints we have with that hardware. Windows, xCloud, GamePass etc are an ecosystem you buy into and compels you to not only stay in but take advantage of new features of.

They cite Netflix and Spotify as the example for GamePass and they're good examples, but from a business perspective the true example is Amazon and to a lesser extent Google and Apple.

I don't see consumers being happy with a single, discrete hardware unit and the games that business makes available in the future. I think Sony have a big fight in their hands over the next 15 years or so as the names above turn this into a fight over entire digital ecosystems, and the hardware being diversified and share amongst third party partners like Samsung etc.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned

VGCHARTZ isn't allowed here I believe. At least it wasn't awhile ago. Unless Gaf changed this rule, you might want to check with a mod before using them as a source.

The numbers on Wiki as stated before are more accurate. The VGChartz numbers were debunked almost immediately after they were released, as either Sony or MS released sales numbers right after that article came out... Showing those numbers were off. Furthermore, those estimates were when both consoles were at 70+ million. There are sales number after that, that show the 360 ahead of the PS3 in the mid 80's millions.

You can stop with the whole PS3 still outsold 360 lifetime sales spiel. Nobody's buying it.

As for the RROD. MS replaced almost all 360's for free, with no questions asked. Those replacements didn't count as additional units sold. That is a flawed argument used by desperate fanboys to depress the 360's sales numbers. You're better than that.

I believe the Wii sold like 120 million units. You said the PS3 was like 10 million short of that. That's around 110 million. I'm not 100% on the Wii numbers though, and I may have misread your previous post.

Foxbat

Banned
Edmix, Just checked and the Wii is at about 100 million, so you're correct that the PS3 is probably close to around 10 million of that.

Top Bottom