• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO: Xbox Series X|S Has Outsold PS5 in NA for 3 Qtrs in a Row. Sales tracking ahead of 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You know, if Switch doesn't count since it's not next gen, and Series S doesn't count since its not next gen then we can say with confidence that Sony has won the console war forever.

No more need for further bloodshed. The war is over.

VAfHD6D.jpg

Last edited:

MScarpa

MS supplies more units to NA I suppose, while the PlayStation brand is way more popular in most of the rest of the world, so Sony has to spread their available units out more. But yeah, if there's one market MS can win (given that they haven't made any XB1-type fuckups this time around) it's NA, and they're probably very committed to making sure that happens.
Corrected me if I'm wrong, isn't NA the biggest market? It's been awhile since I've looked it up. Used to be anyways.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Exactly. Sony has been bragging (or not bragging) regarding corporate console wars forever. When PS2 dominated everything, they had no problem going on stage (look at Kaz with his big mouth) and telling the world. The second Wii took over, they then tried the "Sony Family of Products" lump sum of PS2, PS3 and PSP vs Wii which might had scrape up some wins 3 systems vs 1. Of course they left out DS.

And when Switch has been dominating for years, never compared against Nintendo ever again. Assuming Nintendo doesn't cut the cord on Switch for a Switch 2 in the next few years or Switch sales suddenly drop off a cliff, Switch should overtake PS2's 150M sales.

Of course it is. Same cpu, slightly less ram, cut down version of the same gpu. Its been designed to play the same games at lower resolution, and settings if need be.
Loads of products ahve a premium and budget version of the same product.

At the end of the day its a entry level next gen maching designed to play the same games as its big brother and PS5. So yes its a next gen machine, and yes its sales will be included with the XSX.

Series S is literally half the price of a Series X right now

Nobody considers the RTX 3050 the same product of a RTX 3090 because they run the same software....

S and X share the same CPU, that's it.

The rest of the hardware specs are completely different

Even the storage space is HALF on Series S despite being an all-digital console

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Nobody considers the RTX 3050 the same product of a RTX 3090 because they run the same software....

Wii was a class below 360 and PS3 (it was barely better than a GC), yet everyone compares sales during that 2006-2012 gen when all 3 systems were battling it out at the same time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's pretty impressive. Not a good look for Jimbo though. Im sure he will blame it on covid and the chip shortage but MS was working with the same constraints. If anything Jimbo shouldve had more leverage in chip allocations when his previous console sold 120 million to 50 million Xbox Ones.

Maybe they are distributing their allocations more evenly in other territories. Still, if I went from 1st place to last place in a matter of 2 years, i would probably not be able to keep my job. Different standards for millionaire CEOs though.

Last edited:

ManaByte

That's pretty impressive. Not a good look for Jimbo though. Im sure he will blame it on covid and the chip shortage but MS was working with the same constraints. If anything Jimbo shouldve had more leverage in chip allocations when his previous console sold 120 million to 50 million Xbox Ones.

Maybe they are distributing their allocations more evenly in other territories. Still, if I went from 1st place to last place in a matter of 2 years, i would probably not be able to keep my job. Different standards for millionaire CEOs though.
The chip shortage is pretty much over. But even when you get chips you still have to manufacture systems and get them to stores. Sony builds most of their stuff with Foxconn in China and with those areas being hard locked down, even if they have consoles produced they can’t get them on a container ship and get them to stores.

Both Nintendo and MS found a way around that by having other options for manufacturing.

For those in the know, the 360 started out relatively slow in terms of sales. MS said the XBO was outpacing it for awhile after launch, as well. We know how that turned out. It also seems their lead must not be by much, as his wording let's us know that the PS5 is still ahead LTD.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I do wonder what sales would look like had they not allocated all that stock to upgrading the Xcloud blades (which was a smart investment,) but definitely hurt initial stock and sales during year one.

Just so you understand why people are laughing at you, the Series X and the Series S have the exact same feature set with the exception of no 4K on the Series S. That's why, rightfully, everyone classifies them as the same category of product.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The chip shortage is pretty much over. But even when you get chips you still have to manufacture systems and get them to stores. Sony builds most of their stuff with Foxconn in China and with those areas being hard locked down, even if they have consoles produced they can’t get them on a container ship and get them to stores.

Both Nintendo and MS found a way around that by having other options for manufacturing.
That just means Jimbo is even more at fault. Thats like his main job as CEO.

M16

Remember when people made fun on the Xbox one s because it was all digital and everyone was calling it a failure. Well it was a test for what's gonna happen next gen, and it looks like the Xbox series S is gonna be the next gen winner when it's all said and done.

DaGwaphics

I'd say 1/2 of the 360's were additional purchases.

But I will say the XSX will be around for a long time and has a shot at matching 360's numbers.

Hardly. There was only a 7 or 8 month gap in warranty coverage for the launch day machines and half the units were sold after the problem was already corrected.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Remember when people made fun on the Xbox one s because it was all digital and everyone was calling it a failure. Well it was a test for what's gonna happen next gen, and it looks like the Xbox series S is gonna be the next gen winner when it's all said and done.
The One S wasn’t all digital. Hell it could play UHD Blu-Rays. They made a digital version though without a disc drive for $50 less.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So people buy the console but aren’t interested in either games or services. They also aren’t interested in the value for money proposition.

But why do they buy it then? Cause the Switch is also available.

More people by third party games than first party. It's just a numbers thing. If all you care about is the newest thing, and playing the newest thing on the newest console because you aren't a PC gamer, the XBOX Series S is a hell of a deal. Like if someone wants to play the newest COD on hardware from this generation, why wouldn't they get an XSS when they could (can't find a PS5 and the XSX is the better machine but also more expensive and can't find that either).

DaGwaphics

I'd expect we'll get a all digital XSX at some point as well. Once stock normalizes completely, MS will probably try and erase that $100 gap in pricing (maybe moving the XSS to $250).

Topher

Gold Member
I'd expect we'll get a all digital XSX at some point as well. Once stock normalizes completely, MS will probably try and erase that $100 gap in pricing (maybe moving the XSS to $250).

Yep. I have Xbox for Game Pass so my drive doesn't get used like it does on PS5. I would have definitely opted for a XSX DE given the choice.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I don’t even own a Xbox Series but I’m still very happy to see it successful. Why? Basically any game on Xbox is also on PC day 1, plus all their first party stuff is on Gamepass. A win for Xbox is a win for PC gaming as well.

Love my PS5 too but basically any time a game comes out, I have to decide whether to play it now or to wait until I can play it with better performance on PC.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So people buy the console but aren’t interested in either games or services. They also aren’t interested in the value for money proposition.

But why do they buy it then? Cause the Switch is also available.
Some people buy consoles who just want an all in one entertainment hub even though they really have no focus.

My brother bought a PS3 Slim for that reason. He bought it thinking he'd get back into gaming, and it also serves dual function as a BR player.

He barely used it for either. When I'd visit his house, I'd play it with his kids more than he did.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
While this may true, I believe the real reason is because the PS5 is still impossible to find while you can get series S especially and X everywhere almost.

I also believe sales will shift towards Xbox when COD is on game pass. That will really boost the Xbox. Especially if the deal is closed and they can get COD MW2 in time for game pass

So what happened to Microsoft not caring about hardware console sales?

Topher

Gold Member
For those in the know, the 360 started out relatively slow in terms of sales. MS said the XBO was outpacing it for awhile after launch, as well. We know how that turned out. It also seems their lead must not be by much, as his wording let's us know that the PS5 is still ahead LTD.

Pretty much. If SX was outselling PS5 overall in the US then that is certainly something Microsoft would highlight over only the last three quarters.

mckmas8808

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

mckmas8808

It’s really the only market that matters when major publishers decide what will be their lead platform. That’s why the 360 was the lead platform for most games during that gen.

It 100% is NOT the only market that matters. Stop lying!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Healthy competition makes all the platforms do better, so this is good.

I'm not really seeing Sony fans in here acting like this is terrible, melting down, etc....like some of you are suggesting. You all are the ones derailing this thread by saying that they are.....just saying.

Reactions: Fbh

DaGwaphics

No, it wasn't a question. It was part of Nadella's presentation.

Seems normal that he would point out that they were doing well. X1 had just about flat-lined by now, even if the trend reverses when things normalize completely, that's still a big boost from last gen.

Keep laughing, I am laughing even harder....

"SAME MACHINE" :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't see anyone claiming they are the same machine. We laugh even harder now.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Seems normal that he would point out that they were doing well. X1 had just about flat-lined by now, even if the trend reverses when things normalize completely, that's still a big boost from last gen.

Yes, that's completely fine for a company to do, but it is still a bit weird considering Microsoft made a big deal downplaying console sales last gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom