• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Changes 'Xbox Live' to 'Xbox online service' in their Services Agreement

Barakov

If this happens to be a stealth price increase on gold by folding it into gamepass then I'll be pretty pissed.

Not saying that's not their thinking but that would be one of the biggest bone headed moves I've ever seen

Looking at their numbers for the Xbox division I don't think they are Ina position to do something like that. Even though some people say the opposite they definitely want to attract customers not drive them away.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
🤣😂 Someone seems to have over looked MS's history of they think it isn't possible.

I honestly think they will sneak the cost of gold into the price of GP and say it's "oh its free" but in the end you will still need a GP subscription.
Someone is having too many "Microsoft will do this" dreams to possibly brag in an online forum in future.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This would be suicide to new comers. They get a game pass subs subscription then find out they gotta spend more to play something online. Kiss the GP subscription potential bye along with that person leaving the ecosystem.

Not saying that's not their thinking but that would be one of the biggest bone headed moves I've ever seen.
That's exactly how it works today, so what are you even saying here?

The only change is removing the ability to buy in 6 month or 12 months increments. I mean that's true today, so if it's suicide it's already happening.

NickFire

I lost excitement for the possibility when they announced Halo was F2P. The timing of the rumors and the announced just make me think the leakers were getting telephone gamed. Would still be awesome if it happens, but I'm guessing they drop the paywall for F2P, and roll Gold into Gamepass. That would satisfy the people who primarily play Battle Royal (and Halo in whatever form MP comes), and let them justify the price increase by highlighting the Gamepass benefits. Whether it would generate more revenue is up in the air, but I bet it would.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That's exactly how it works today, so what are you even saying here?

The only change is removing the ability to buy in 6 month or 12 months increments. I mean that's true today, so if it's suicide it's already happening.

The idea of bringing in new customers with GP via Xcloud/Lockhart/whatever is not enticing if you say hey you can get GP for only $10 a month then drop an additional fee on them. That's annoying and especially for xcloud customers is a bad idea.

Exhausting customers have been enticed to GPU with conversion deals.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

The idea of bringing in new customers with GP via Xcloud/Lockhart/whatever is not enticing if you say hey you can get GP for only $10 a month then drop an additional fee on them. That's annoying and especially for xcloud customers is a bad idea.

Exhausting customers have been enticed to GPU with conversion deals.
Literally no clue WTF you are talking about, what it has to do with my post, and in particular what it has to do with what you bolded.

The extra fee is already here today... so what? why? why are you responding like this? lol You are essentially saying "NO WAY THEYD DO WHAT THEY ARE DOING RIGHT NOW THAT WOULD BE SUICIDE!" And for some reason saying this in response to my posts.. for a reason I can't discern.

plz explain

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
I don't think online gaming will become free. I think they will:
1. Get rid of Xbox Live Gold
2. Make Gamepass Ultimate the only way to play online for non F2P games (Maybe rebrand it)
3. Make F2P games... F2P

NickFire

That's a good argument IMO. For some reason it also caused me to think they will still sell Gold for short term increments as an option. That would give people a choice, but make them feel almost like they are wasting money by no getting gamepass.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Literally no clue WTF you are talking about, what it has to do with my post, and in particular what it has to do with what you bolded.

The extra fee is already here today... so what? why? why are you responding like this? lol You are essentially saying "NO WAY THEYD DO WHAT THEY ARE DOING RIGHT NOW THAT WOULD BE SUICIDE!"

plz explain

I just explained it. I didn't say what you are claiming at all.

If you can't grasp it that's not my fault.

IntentionalPun

I just explained it. I didn't say what you are claiming at all.

If you can't grasp it that's not my fault.
You are making absolutely no sense.

What extra fee do you think I am proposing? I never said anything about extra fees...

I don't think you read my post correctly or something because absolutely nothing you are saying has anything to do with what I said.

Barakov

I don't think online gaming will become free. I think they will:
1. Get rid of Xbox Live Gold
2. Make Gamepass Ultimate the only way to play online for non F2P games (Maybe rebrand it)
3. Make F2P games... F2P
Well......that sounds awful. This is also sounds like a very microsoft thing to do.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You are making absolutely no sense.

What extra fee do you think I am proposing? I never said anything about extra fees...

I don't think you read my post correctly or something because absolutely nothing you are saying has anything to do with what I said.

I don't think you read your own post correctly.

Other people are literally quoting our conversation and continuing conversation based on my response. So clearly it's something that can be grasped.

The extra fee would be gold.

NickFire

Other people are literally quoting our conversation and continuing conversation based on my response. So clearly it's something that can be grasped.

I believe what you are saying is it would piss a lot of people off to buy a console with the belief that 10 a month gets you access to games, but later find out its another few bucks to play them all.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I believe what you are saying is it would piss a lot of people off to buy a console with the belief that 10 a month gets you access to games, but later find out its another few bucks to play them all.
Correct. As I said for newcomers raising the price of gold, by removing 6 and 12 month sub options, just to get more out of people is suicide for new customers.

IntentionalPun

So what you are saying is Microsoft is currently committing consumer suicide?

Because you responded to me with "This would be consumer suicide" when it's exactly what MS is doing as of today. Charging people more for XBL Gold even if they own Gamepass.. if you can't fathom how that's a really confusing response to my post I don't know what to tell you, because all I did was repeat exactly what the state of things today is. MS removed the ability to buy in the cheaper per month increments.

Why couldn't you have just said "Yes that's what I'm saying" in response to my last question?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Because you responded to me with "This would be consumer suicide"
when it's exactly what MS is doing as of today. Charging people more for XBL Gold even if they own Gamepass.. if you can't fathom how that's a really confusing response to my post I don't know what to tell you, because all I did was repeat exactly what the state of things today is. MS removed the ability to buy in the cheaper per month increments.
Not what I said. Read it again.

IntentionalPun

Not what I said. Read it again.
It's literally what they are doing today. They have effectively raised the price of XBL Gold by removing the cheaper options, and made no other changes to their service.

So when you said "This would be suicide" you are describing the state of Xbox Live and Gamepass as of August 2020.

So yes it's what your words mean. You can kindly stop being so obtuse.

NickFire

Because you responded to me with "This would be consumer suicide" when it's exactly what MS is doing as of today. Charging people more for XBL Gold even if they own Gamepass.. if you can't fathom how that's a really confusing response to my post I don't know what to tell you, because all I did was repeat exactly what the state of things today is. MS removed the ability to buy in the cheaper per month increments.

Why couldn't you have just said "Yes that's what I'm saying" in response to my last question?
He's talking about making Xbox more attractive to the people who aren't already in the eco-system. Making something more attractive to the install base of your competitor (that dwarfs MS's install base) is not a dig against current customers.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's literally what they are doing today. They have effectively raised the price of XBL Gold by removing the cheaper options, and made no other changes to their service.

So when you said "This would be suicide" you are describing the state of Xbox Live and Gamepass as of August 2020.

So yes it's what your words mean. You can kindly stop being so obtuse.

That's....not...what...I...said.... It's literally all there.

Fake

So, you'll pay at least for something. IMO, just like this guy said

M7ckNTX.jpg

Yeah, a slap in the face. Not huge, but still slap.

About time. Don't even make sense the need of Xbox live for playing F2P.

IntentionalPun

That's....not...what...I...said.... It's literally all there.
What the fuck is your problem dude?

This would be suicide to new comers. They get a game pass subs subscription then find out they gotta spend more to play something online. Kiss the GP subscription potential bye along with that person leaving the ecosystem.

Not saying that's not their thinking but that would be one of the biggest bone headed moves I've ever seen.

Today gamers:

1) Get a gamepass sub
2) Find out they gotta spend more money to play online

That's literally what happens today.. right now.. not something I proposed, it's what Microsoft does as of August 2020.

What you described as "suicide to new comers" is what Microsoft is offering right now, today.

LITERALLY

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Today gamers:

1) Get a gamepass sub

That's literally what happens today.. right now.. not something I proposed, it's what Microsoft does as of August 2020.

What you described as "suicide to new comers" is what Microsoft is offering right now, today.

LITERALLY

Kindly leave the profanity out of it.

If you are already in the ecosystem you expect to pay to play online. If you are not, which would be a new comer, being nickled and dimed with subscriptions on top of subscriptions is indeed suicide to expanding your customer base/eco system.

There is nothing wrong with me. You just didn't grasp something.

IntentionalPun

Kindly leave the profanity out of it.

If you are already in the ecosystem you expect to pay to play online. If you are not, which would be a new comer, being nickled and dimed with subscriptions on top of subscriptions is indeed suicide to expanding your customer base/eco system.

There is nothing wrong with me. You just didn't grasp something.
So when you said "that would be suicide" you meant "what they are currently doing now would be suicide".. and when you denied that 4 times after I repeated it you were just doing that for fun?

And fuck no, Ill use profanity when someone is being as frustrating as you.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So when you said "that would be suicide" you meant "what they are currently doing now would be suicide".. and when you denied that 4 times after I repeated it you were just doing that for fun?

Nope that's not what I said. At all.

Which is why I specifically quoted and bolded the part of your post I was talking about. As well as specified NEW COMERS.

No one is being frustrating, you just can't think outside your own box apparently.

IntentionalPun

Nope that's not what I said. At all.

Which is why I specifically quoted and bolded the part of your post I was talking about. As well as specified NEW COMERS.

No one is being frustrating, you just can't think outside your own box apparently.

No you are 100% being frustrating.

What you suggested would be suicide is exactly how Gamepass and Xbox Live Gold work in August of 2020.

So what you are suggesting is that their current policies are suicide. Why you can't just say "yes" is beyond me.

NickFire

Today gamers:

1) Get a gamepass sub

LITERALLY

MS of course wants to sell as many current gen consoles as possible, but its the launch of next gen where they see their best chance to grow their eco-system. And that's what the guy you are getting personal with is talking about. MS wants a change in market share from current gen and he's opining on whether it would be logical to repeat what hasn't brought them to their goal so far as next gen launches.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No you are 100% being frustrating.

What you suggested would be suicide is exactly how Gamepass and Xbox Live Gold work in August of 2020.

So what you are suggesting is that their current policies are suicide. Why you can't just say "yes" is beyond me.

Lol yeah I'm so frustrating which is why other people understand it perfectly and you can't grasp it. Yes, I am the problem here.

tenor.gif

This conversation is over.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at their numbers for the Xbox division I don't think they are Ina position to do something like that. Even though some people say the opposite they definitely want to attract customers not drive them away.
Numbers of the Xbox division have never been higher with less consoles sold?

IntentionalPun

MS of course wants to sell as many current gen consoles as possible, but its the launch of next gen where they see their best chance to grow their eco-system. And that's what the guy you are getting personal with is talking about. MS wants a change in market share from current gen and he's opining on whether it would be logical to repeat what hasn't brought them to their goal so far as next gen launches.

There's a lot of options for them; I don't see how it's so far fetched that one of them is to continue with what they are currently doing. Charging for XBL Gold, and charging for it on top of GamePass.

As it stands today the only thing they've done is make XBl Gold more expensive to buy as of July 2020. Is there another change coming? Perhaps, but we don't know yet.

I'm hoping they cancel XBL Gold, make online multi-player free, and convert all existing Gold months to GPU. It would be a big play to convert people into GamePass. But I'm certainly not betting on them doing that; it would also remove hundreds of millions of revenue from XBL Gold members overnight so it's a hard thing to imagine they'll do.

Agent X

Would still be awesome if it happens, but I'm guessing they drop the paywall for F2P, and roll Gold into Gamepass. That would satisfy the people who primarily play Battle Royal (and Halo in whatever form MP comes), and let them justify the price increase by highlighting the Gamepass benefits.

That's what I predict will happen in the long run. Xbox Live Gold will eventually disappear as a purchasable option at some point, probably about three years from now. They will eventually transition the paid online subscription to Xbox Game Pass at a substantially higher price. In order for this plan to work, it has to be executed in multiple phases.

As IntentionalPun IntentionalPun said above, all Microsoft has done is remove the cheapest options (1 year subscription, and those 1-year or 2-year employee plans) off the table. They did not increase the price (yet), beause 1-month and 3-month subscriptions still exist at the same price that they've been at for years.

I do believe they will do something that will enable them to (legally) advertise "free online play". But "free online play" does not mean that Xbox Live Gold will cease to exist. Read on.

Short term (from now until the end of this year):
  • Xbox Live Gold remains the same, aside from being unable to purchase anything longer than a 3-month chunk.
  • Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate stay the same, including the ability to buy a 1-year plan.
  • Microsoft begins advertising Game Pass Ultimate as offering much more value for only a few dollars more than buying 12 months of Xbox Live Gold.
  • Microsoft lifts the requirement for a paid Xbox Live Gold membership to play free-to-play games, making them truly "free to play" on Xbox One for the first time. By doing this, Microsoft can now legally advertise that Xbox Live offers "free online play for multiplayer games". They are effectively matching PlayStation 4 and Switch on this policy...nothing more. But it's "free online play", and Microsoft will surely let you know it. Truth in advertising, right? Hey, nobody said that every multiplayer game would be playable for free!

Mid term (2021 to mid 2023)
  • Xbox Live Gold still exists as a service (due to legal/contractual reasons), but no longer becomes purchasable. It's still the minimum subscription required for all online multiplayer games that aren't F2P. Anyone who has a number of months/years left on their account will be able to use whatever time they have left, but renewal will be unavailable.
  • Game Pass (not Ultimate) will now also allow you to play all online multiplayer games that aren't F2P (effectively gaining the benefit of XBLG, minus Xbox Games with Gold). This is something that previously required the more expensive Game Pass Ultimate. This will now be the cheapest option for anyone who doesn't have XBLG, or whose XBLG subscription has run out.
  • Game Pass Ultimate is promoted as being Game Pass plus the PC and Xcloud stuff. Ultimate is no longer required for online multiplayer, since that part of the service has shifted to basic Game Pass.

Long term (mid 2023 and onward)
  • Xbox Live Gold is completely abolished as a service, because by this time virtually every XBLG account will have expired. Anyone who somehow still has remaining time (very small number of people who stacked up years of the service in 2020 or earlier) will be offered a chance to upgrade to Game Pass at a discounted price, or receive a refund for time unused.
  • Game Pass is the de facto service for non-F2P online multiplayer.

Last edited:

NickFire

There's a lot of options for them; I don't see how it's so far fetched that one of them is to continue with what they are currently doing. Charging for XBL Gold, and charging for it on top of GamePass.

As it stands today the only thing they've done is make XBl Gold more expensive to buy as of July 2020. Is there another change coming? Perhaps, but we don't know yet.

I'm hoping they cancel XBL Gold, make online multi-player free, and convert all existing Gold months to GPU. It would be a big play to convert people into GamePass. But I'm certainly not betting on them doing that; it would also remove hundreds of millions of revenue from XBL Gold members overnight so it's a hard thing to imagine they'll do.
They definitely have options. I tend to share your doubts that they just drop Gold altogether except for F2P games. But I could see them include basic gold with no free games in gamepass because the money from doubling their install base would make up for it. That said, there is some gambling there which they may not be willing to do.

Bernkastel

your numbers are a decade old pal.
90 million xbox live monthly active users
they just got 10 million gamepass subscribers, and you guys still think they only have 10 million xbox live gold subscribers? LOL
Yes, they are Xbox Live users not Gold users. Microsoft never revealed Gold numbers but Brad Sams estimated it to be 10 million.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It's insane how people downplay consumer friendliness from Microsoft but gladly eat any shit from Sony.

With that said, it's not quite confirmed yet so let's wait and see. But it looks promising.

On the other hand, it could be game pass that gets a price decrease, fewer games, and replace gold.

But would Sony follow up if online play becomes free? Tbh I doubt it. Maybe for ps6 but not PS5 it's too late for that.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
This whole ordeal leaves a lot of questions I need answered.

1. If I'm a 10 year member do I lose that veteran status?

2. If they drop f2p, and roll the rest into GP with a price decrease overall, in what shade can I still paint MS as being the bad guy here?

3. If they make the horrid decision to make multiplayer free altogether, in what chapter of the Sony Defence Force Manual is that covered? I can't seem to locate it for instructions on an appropriate response.

Gorki247

So the current offers in the UK are:
  • Gold @ £6.99 / month (or £17.99 / 3-month)
  • Game Pass for Console @ £7.99 / month
  • Game Pass for PC @ £3.99/month
  • Game Pass Ultimate @ 10.99/month (Console + PC, also includes Gold and Streaming).

On the surface, it seems like they could just get rid of the Gold-only option and add it to Game Pass for Console, no? In that case you would end up paying £1 more to play online. Seems reasonable where the monthly subscription is concerned.

However, the real issue is that there are currently no 3-month and 12-month options for Game Pass. They may introduce them as part of this restructure, but will have to wait and see.

Bernkastel

Yep.

No

Top Bottom