• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Claims Bobby Kotick Demanded Bigger Revenue Share to Put Call of Duty on Xbox

Hmm, maybe MS need this deal then. If Sony so strong. Company’s like, nah ms, u have to give us more of a cut. Wouldn’t be surprise that what square Enix wanna. Sony just to strong maybe.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No, the wording implies it was Kotik's move.
“But when we film a showcase, that is people can watch it live on YouTube and other places… and at the end we wanted to put up a slate that say, ‘Here are all the games coming in the next year,’ we were told we could not say Call of Duty was coming in the next year,” Bond said.

Asked whether there were other games with similar types of marketing exclusivity, Bond pointed to Harry Potter: Hogwarts Legacy, which released earlier this year.

Sounds like Sony had a deal that literally prevented Microsoft from even mentioning the game was coming to Xbox.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
“But when we film a showcase, that is people can watch it live on YouTube and other places… and at the end we wanted to put up a slate that say, ‘Here are all the games coming in the next year,’ we were told we could not say Call of Duty was coming in the next year,” Bond said.

Asked whether there were other games with similar types of marketing exclusivity, Bond pointed to Harry Potter: Hogwarts Legacy, which released earlier this year.

Sounds like Sony had a deal that literally prevented Microsoft from even mentioning the game was coming to Xbox.

Bond said that they were allowed to mention on their websites and social media (twitter) but not in their youtube showcases, which seems like a standard thing for marketing deal games.

She also cites Hogwarts Legacy which was the same deal.

Coconutt

Wow what a power move by Kotick and shows how weak Microsoft management is. They try to pull that on me I would have said bet and blocked all Acti Bliz games from the Xbox, they'd be losing half their sales from COD

justin bieber television GIF by Saturday Night Live

Uh, that's standard when it comes to marketing rights. They can say the game is coming to their system on their social media posts and the actual game websites always list all consoles it's coming to, they just can't promote them at their showcases.

This is MS just crying about standard business practices, that they follow, too, when it's not benefitting them. Hell, MS took it a step further and blocked the publishers and Sony from saying a multiplat game was coming to the PS5 for 24 hrs after their showcase, while they had a graphic listing multiplats ready immediately after Sony's showcase.

So Sony is pissed that Cod went from almost exclusive to owned by Microsoft.
Maybe you didn't get the memo but the Activision Blizzard Acquisition hasn't closed and probably won't.
There's no claiming about it. This is a court case...they can't lie.
You mean like when they said The Outer Worlds 2 could still come to PS after already announcing it to the world as an Xbox console exclusive?

So let me get this straight..MS technically had to pay just to have COD released on their platform?
Pay? No. Give a bigger cut of the revenue? Yes. Of course, we don't know what Sony's cut is. They may have offered the 80/20 split in exchange for marketing rights. And since COD sells a hell of a lot more on PS, that's a fair chunk of change for Activision. They probably just wanted the same deal from MS, sans marketing rights, of course.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Pay? No. Give a bigger cut of the revenue? Yes. Of course, we don't know what Sony's cut is. They may have offered the 80/20 split in exchange for marketing rights. And since COD sells a hell of a lot more on PS, that's a fair chunk of change for Activision. They probably just wanted the same deal from MS, sans marketing rights, of course.
I don't mean literally.
That's why I said technically, because the only thing they're getting from it is the game on their platform.

Kerotan

So all of that talk about how XBOX "decided" to give up COD marketing to focus on their own exclusives was horse shit? Despite parroting the same lie since 2015?

giphy.gif

Of course XBOX lost the marketing deal because they lost all their market share. Despite a few shills trying their best to convince gamers otherwise.
But according to Nautilus Nautilus we should believe every word from MS exec's and take it as gospel 😂

Crayon

My first reaction was wow that's scandalous. But thinking about a little more, it really is a you need us more than we need you situation. Pretty harsh, but if someone floated that in the board room and it seemed like it was going to work then they were going to try it.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
But according to Nautilus Nautilus we should believe every word from MS exec's and take it as gospel 😂
And the people at NPD, Famitsu, Media Create, european and professional analysts has an agenda too, and should not be trusted?

And again, he is the head of xbox, and of all the things to have an agenda on is.... to consider Nintendo a competitor? A fact as real as the air ever since Nintendo entered the videogame business? And rabbid fans of a Sony consoles, who are random users on a forum that probably never worked in the industry, are completely unbiased?

Lmao

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Maybe you didn't get the memo but the Activision Blizzard Acquisition hasn't closed and probably won't.

You mean like when they said The Outer Worlds 2 could still come to PS after already announcing it to the world as an Xbox console exclusive?

Well there's a difference there....one thing for certainly happened, which is the release of call of duty on current consoles...the other thing that hasn't happened, outer worlds 2 hasn't come out yet...

I guess you understand that?

supernova8

Banned
Makes sense from Activision's perspective if we assume (?) that COD sells a lot more on Playstation than it does on Xbox (need a source for that but I'm guesstimating given the hardware sales divide between the consoles). It's not so much about the percentage and more about the actual number. Plus if Activision was really willing to skip Xbox if they "only" got a 70% cut then maybe that 70% in absolute terms is small enough for Activision to not give many shits.

Maybe a 70:30 split with Sony plus a lot of marketing coverage (read: free publicity) at Sony events etc is waaaaaay more valuable than the same 70:30 split from MS if they were only to sell half as many copies. Plus, with the whole Game Pass thing, maybe Activision made the judgement call that Xbox players would be on average less likely to spend on MTX compared to PS players (no evidence for that, just speculating).

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Bobby would definitely run Xbox if they merge. Xbox giving partnerships perks to ABK for the non marketing of COD, and COD access. Seems like everyone is fucking useless in Xbox brand.

I feel sorry for Hines as it's obvious he was sold some lies. I'm guessing case by case was mentioned to him, and now while Bethesda is exclusive, potentially ABK can have 10 year deals for multiplatform.

Sony gets exclusive modes and marketing rights....
And they pay for that too.

Activision gets a greater percentage per sale, strong marketing support, and a huge player base to target.

________

People need to get their head around the fact that Sony makes a desirable console that sells well and they’ve cultivated a userbase that spends a lot of money on games in every region they sell in and are driving investment in new territories. To a publisher that is very enticing.

Microsoft on the other hand have stumbled 3 out of 4 times with console sales, dropped the ball with their best selling console and have conditioned their player base to spend less money on games. Add in that they have inconsistent appeal worldwide. That isn’t as appealing to a publisher.

Why would Xbox expect the same treatment when they are giving so much less? Put yourself in the position of the publishers.

Xbox have been in the console business almost the same amount of time as Sony and in that time have not produced consistent results. They’ve got some great aspects about them such as their network, cloud and subscriptions but they are essentially resorting to pay to win again rather than building out their own studios. It feels like 90s Microsoft again.

They’ve had great success with Playground, Turn 10, the Coalition etc. They can absolutely do it.

I’m not personally affected by their purchases to date and won’t be by ABK, but going about it in a way that will harm the industry with consolidation is really sad.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Could be risky though. Xbox could have said no.
Also could lead to Sony asking for a bigger cut from activision. If Sony has a monopoly what’s activision going to do?
MS would say they don’t want to give up 10% to get CoD on the console. I bet Sony would give up 10% too. It generates so much revenue. 20% of a giant pie is better than none of it.

Top Bottom