• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft claims they are not evil!!!

<nu>faust

from kotaku's top ten xbox 360 rumours article based on John Porcaro's gamesblog post :

"Robot-loving Msoft marketeer John Porcaro put together a little rumor killer, coming up with a list of the top ten Xbox 360 “bogus rumors” and why they are not true.....

5. Everyone at Xbox is evil (or a robot, or is money grubbing, etc.)

Dude - we’re gamers. We’re just trying to make a better games and entertainment than the other guy.

3. We chose Barbie’s Horse Adventure first, because we didn’t want PGR2 to be BackCompat

Nope, some titles are just bonus because other titles work.

2. Sony will launch a broadband service better than Xbox Live.

A big, bold claim. Two words: Emotion Engine. "

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
<nu>faust said:
Dude - we’re fanboys. We’re just trying to make you think we have better games and entertainment than the other guy.

Fixed.

Microsoft's press statements are just so unendingly idiotic/ridiculous that it is becoming my favorite source of entertainment during this news drought. They've helped drag industry discussion down to the level of highschool playground arguments, "Nintendo's retro games will suck, we rock"; "We came up with Revmote 3 years ago, and it sucked donkey dick...nice try Nintendo"; "The PS3 will help sell more X360s, thank's Sony, we love you really". WTF

M3wThr33

Banned
MrSardonic said:
Fixed.

Microsoft's press statements are just so unendingly idiotic/ridiculous that it is becoming my favorite source of entertainment during this news drought. They've helped drag industry discussion down to the level of highschool playground arguments, "Nintendo's retro games will suck, we rock"; "We came up with Revmote 3 years ago, and it sucked donkey dick...nice try Nintendo"; "The PS3 will help sell more X360s, thank's Sony, we love you really". WTF

I still remember in a press release years back they compared console sales and defined "Worldwide" as "USA, Europe and Australia."

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Phew, well that's a sigh of relief. Now they just need to clear up those rumors that Microsoft is indeed spelled like that instead of Micro$oft. I don't know who to believe!

The notion that a company as large as Sony couldn't possibly put up a network as good as XBox Live or (gasp!) possibly even better is laughable at best.

Sorry ... there's nothing magical or special about matchmaking/content downloads/some dinky retro games.

It's more dependant on what Sony's philosophy is as a whole, but feature-for-feature, Sony could match or exceed MS (they have a much broader content library and could integrate things like music downloads/movie previews).

There's nothing that XBox Live does that hasn't been done on PCs for ages.

I think Sony should offer a service like that, just to take that rug right out from under MS' feet ... they have absolutely no patents that prevent anyone from offering the same basic service.

pcostabel

Gold Member
<nu>faust said:

So they recognize Sony will deliver on their promises an then some? Awesome!

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
pcostabel said:

They delivered...if you had the emotion qualities of a stone

CR0N0S

soundwave05 said:
The notion that a company as large as Sony couldn't possibly put up a network as good as XBox Live or (gasp!) possibly even better is laughable at best.

But do you think that they could make the strides that MS made in the last ~4 years in the span of 1? that the infrastructure they produce would be even on the same level as the new version of XBL? I'd say, of anyone, Nintendo is in a better position to have something that could compete with live. Sony is pretty much coming out of the gate 4 years late.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Whats so special about the XBL infrastructure? Its a P2P matchmaking service. There's nothing there that would take years to build.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
CR0N0S said:
But do you think that they could make the strides that MS made in the last ~4 years in the span of 1? that the infrastructure they produce would be even on the same level as the new version of XBL? I'd say, of anyone, Nintendo is in a better position to have something that could compete with live. Sony is pretty much coming out of the gate 4 years late.

It's not like sony is ignorant of online gaming and never did it before
http://www.station.sony.com/en/

soundwave05 said:

Sorry ... there's nothing magical or special about matchmaking/content downloads/some dinky retro games.

It's more dependant on what Sony's philosophy is as a whole, but feature-for-feature, Sony could match or exceed MS (they have a much broader content library and could integrate things like music downloads/movie previews).

There's nothing that XBox Live does that hasn't been done on PCs for ages.

I think Sony should offer a service like that, just to take that rug right out from under MS' feet ... they have absolutely no patents that prevent anyone from offering the same basic service.
DLC of PS1 games is a dream of mine. Sure, the PS3 backwards compatible, but its hard to find PS1 games (1) that I want and (2) that aren't scratched to hell. Even the 4 disc RPGs like FF9 only equaled to ~1gb of data.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
I am a Mac user and I don´t have anything against Microsoft unless they start to abuse of their DRM politics and their abusive form of treating their users.

Guy LeDouche said:
DLC of PS1 games is a dream of mine. Sure, the PS3 backwards compatible, but its hard to find PS1 games (1) that I want and (2) that aren't scratched to hell. Even the 4 disc RPGs like FF9 only equaled to ~1gb of data.

It's not like Microsoft made any retro games themselves though.

Sony has such stronger support from Japanese third parties that they could offer retro games from the likes of Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix, Sega, Namco, etc. too. Probably even get some better ones.

I suppose downloads of certain older PSOne titles would be possible too ... yes FF9 equaled 1 GB of data ... but I bet with proper compression these days, that could be brought down to a more managable 400MB-500MB perhaps.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Dr.Guru of Peru said:
Whats so special about the XBL infrastructure? Its a P2P matchmaking service. There's nothing there that would take years to build.

CHARCOAL BLADES

GhaleonEB

Dr.Guru of Peru said:
1) that's not all that XBox live is
2) He was also talking about the Live Arcade program, and how to develop the infastructure, tools, etc.

Jerkface

Banned
Microsoft are DEFINITELY evil because I've seen the film Antitrust which was secretly about them and they KILL students and STEAL their CODECS!

<nu>faust

pcostabel said:

Sony did built lot of hype and made a ton of promises for the PlayStat&#1110;on 2 and its online gam&#1110;ng service.They did sign a partnership with RealNetworks promised to bring streaming audio and video to the PlayStat&#1110;on 2. They also formed another partnership with American Online, promised to incorporate popular AOL features, such as instant messaging, chat and e-mail so PS2 gamers could access these AOL features while playing games online.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
<nu>faust said:
Sony did built lot of hype and made a ton of promises for the PlayStat&#1110;on 2 and its online gam&#1110;ng service.They did sign a partnership with RealNetworks promised to bring streaming audio and video to the PlayStat&#1110;on 2. They also formed another partnership with American Online, promised to incorporate popular AOL features, such as instant messaging, chat and e-mail so PS2 gamers could access these AOL features while playing games online.

Yeah, Emotion Engine was a terrible example, he would have done better to point out this.

MrSardonic said:
Fixed.

Don't forget calling Halo 2 the best game ever. I can't think of any other company that's been arrogant enough to make that claim publicly.

demi

TekunoRobby said:
Phew, well that's a sigh of relief. Now they just need to clear up those rumors that Microsoft is indeed spelled like that instead of Micro$oft. I don't know who to believe!

touch my pussy

it quivers

soundwave05 said:

Sony has such stronger support from Japanese third parties that they could offer retro games from the likes of Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix, Sega, Namco, etc. too. Probably even get some better ones.

I suppose downloads of certain older PSOne titles would be possible too ... yes FF9 equaled 1 GB of data ... but I bet with proper compression these days, that could be brought down to a more managable 400MB-500MB perhaps.
Yeah, I was just speaking towards having unique content on PS3 Arcade or whatever. Nintendo is going to kill with their stuff. The attach ratio of Revs sold in America to copies of online GoldenEye sold is going to be amazing.

Sony is going to need something, anything, to set themselves apart.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Dr.Guru of Peru said:
XBL has a lot of extra features but it sort of has to considering that the service isn't free. If they made a stripped down free version with just p2p gaming without leader boards, voice-chat and achievements then I think a lot of people would opt for that instead. Fundamentally all you need is a buddy list and a way to communicate both of which are not hard to accomplish and certainly can be done for free. Micro-transactions or the ability to buy games and bonus content online should be free anyway. XBL is the best pay to play service available but it is also atm the only pay to play service.

I don't think it is fair to judge a companies online plan from their portable service. Sony knows how important online games will be this next generation so I think whatever they plan the service will provide the most features possible while still remaining free to the consumer. A more unified structure with buddy list shouldn't be too hard to accomplish on a console.

Jerkface

Banned
Guy LeDouche said:
Yeah, I was just speaking towards having unique content on PS3 Arcade or whatever. Nintendo is going to kill with their stuff. The attach ratio of Revs sold in America to copies of online GoldenEye sold is going to be amazing.

Sony is going to need something, anything, to set themselves apart.

The problem is that EA own the rights to the James Bond licence and SONY own the rights to the James Bond image. The likelihood of seeing online Goldeneye is pretty slim.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Leondexter said:
Don't forget calling Halo 2 the best game ever. I can't think of any other company that's been arrogant enough to make that claim publicly.

"I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect’s blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It’s the same as that." - Ken Kutaragi

It's close.

terrene

Banned
soundwave05 said:

Heck, some of the demos on XBL are a gig, anyway.

But look, the approaches that Microsoft and Sony are taking for their consoles are prefect representations of the companies: Microsoft mocks the PSP's "multimedia" capabilities and thinks the key to new experiences is great software and services being there in the box. Sony views the key to new experiences as a hardware problem and are packing as much muscle as possible into the PS3.

Sony is not going to have as feature-rich of an online service, or a networking/multimedia-enabled console as Microsoft; they are philosophically different companies, and they have not been at the center of all the driver, network, web service, security, online gaming and account management infrastructures that Microsoft has worked with over the last many, many years.

hadareud

The Translator
Tathanen said:
"I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect’s blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It’s the same as that." - Ken Kutaragi

It's close.

nice one

fronn

Jerkface said:
Microsoft are DEFINITELY evil because I've seen the film Antitrust which was secretly about them and they KILL students and STEAL their CODECS!

The compression is perfect!

TheBig14

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I don't see the emotion engine changing the face of mankind as we know it.

So, no.

...maybe it didn't change the face of mankind on the level of technical capability, but you forgot the social implications Sony's marketing has had on the console gaming industry. The marketing behind it certainly brought gaming more into the public's eye than any other cpu in a console prior...and made console gaming a more acceptable form of entertainment for the masses.

The ultimate goal of Sony's BUSINESS.

GhaleonEB

TheBig14 said:
...maybe it didn't change the face of mankind on the level of technical capability, but you forgot the social implications Sony's marketing has had on the console gaming industry. The marketing behind it certainly brought gaming more into the public's eye than any other cpu in a console prior...and made console gaming a more acceptable form of entertainment for the masses.

The ultimate goal of Sony's BUSINESS.
I was referring to the technological leap the emotion engine was hyped to be, and how it would be used in so many things other than the PS2 (like the CELL). And how it that didn't happen, and was bested by a system with a modified Pentium III as it's CPU a year later. Sony is GREAT at marketing, I'll never agrue that. But delivering on their own absurd hype? No. If they had said, "We're going to make a great videogame console," no one would question their hype/reality disconnect.

shpankey

not an idiot
didn't MSFT spend like half a billion dollars setting up, developing and grooming xbl into what it is now? does anyone else remember a long time ago when that news was put out? i think you are making it sound a little too simple soundwave, xbl wasn't just thrown together with a few buck in a few days.

i also remember how many difficulties Battle.net, Bungie.net, Ten, WoW, Everquest and all kinds of those types of large scale networking arrangements took. it's not as easy as you might think. it's a growing and learn as you go process. i don't think sony or nintendo will match it tit for tat on day one, but will probably get real close to them by the end of the generation. and it's not like XBL will be stagnant, it will continually improve as they go as well.

TheBig14

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I was referring to the technological leap the emotion engine was hyped to be, and how it would be used in so many things other than the PS2 (like the CELL). And how it that didn't happen, and was bested by a system with a modified Pentium III as it's CPU a year later. Sony is GREAT at marketing, I'll never agrue that. But delivering on their own absurd hype? No. If they had said, "We're going to make a great videogame console," no one would question their hype/reality disconnect.

Yeah...but if we, the people of gaming forums, are the only one's who care...then what does it matter in the whole scheme of things?

And you must admit...that EE's pitfalls only made Sony try that much harder this time around with CELL. It seems CELL's acceptance (at least at this stage) is pretty widespread. The outlook is that it will be used in many of the consumer electronic devices that Sony originally envisioned with EE. EE was Sony's first stab at the consumer appliances embedded cpu market...and if it set things up for a victory this time around with CELL in that arena (and maybe even in the PC/workstation/server arena), then it looks as if Sony really has their shit together.

Tathanen said:

It's close.

He's talking about the PSP, isn't he? Every company says their console is the greatest, that's been around forever. That "most beautiful thing in the world" is pretty dumb, but bragging about consoles seems to be okay. Bragging about games is another level--usually "critically acclaimed" is usually about as boastful as they get. Or they'll just brag about game/franchise sales.

TheBig14

Banned
Leondexter said:
He's talking about the PSP, isn't he? Every company says their console is the greatest, that's been around forever. That "most beautiful thing in the world" is pretty dumb, but bragging about consoles seems to be okay. Bragging about games is another level--usually "critically acclaimed" is usually about as boastful as they get. Or they'll just brag about game/franchise sales.

The PSP is pretty damn sexy...

but I wonder why Ken's quotes are so ridiculously outlandish most of the time.

It could be he doesn't have a good grasp of the English language...or if he's speaking in Japanese, conotations are lost in translation--so it sounds pretty weird in English. Either that or he's just plain crazy.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
If Microsoft has taught us anything, it's that you don't have to be the first or the best to come out ahead in the end.

This is why their PR fluff pieces are so funny.

vantastic

lol more emotion engine regurgitation. people ask "how do you know the ps3 will sell 20m? just because the ps2 did?" i ask you, if the past doesn't matter, why do you guys keep bringing up the emotion engine? :lol

Dr.Guru of Peru said:

It's more than a P2P network with match making. The way Live is intergrated into the 360 is fantastic. The marketplace kicks ass.

I think Sony can eventually build a service that rivals Live, but it isn't going to happen right off the bat.

Kojiro

Banned
<nu>faust said:
from kotaku's top ten xbox 360 rumours article based on John Porcaro's gamesblog post :

"Robot-loving Msoft marketeer John Porcaro put together a little rumor killer, coming up with a list of the top ten Xbox 360 “bogus rumors” and why they are not true.....

Dude - we’re gamers. We’re just trying to make a better games and entertainment than the other guy.

3. We chose Barbie’s Horse Adventure first, because we didn’t want PGR2 to be BackCompat

Nope, some titles are just bonus because other titles work.

4. SONY will kick your ass at the PS3 launch and the Xbox360 japan launch sucked
A: Well,... ah.... Halo 3, man. Halo 3!!

ShowDog

CR0N0S said:
I'd say, of anyone, Nintendo is in a better position to have something that could compete with live. Sony is pretty much coming out of the gate 4 years late.

How in the world is Nintendo in a better position to create a better online infastructure than Sony? They have no experience with online games except for two piss poor DS attempts while Sony has a lot more experience and resources.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ShowDog said:
How in the world is Nintendo in a better position to create a better online infastructure than Sony? They have no experience with online games except for two piss poor DS attempts while Sony has a lot more experience and resources.

http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=258

Nintendo has been doing this for a very, very long time.

(Not that I'll defend the shittiness of certain aspects in MK and AC.)

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
<nu>faust said:

To me thats half their problem, they worry too much about the other guy and are always bad mouthing them and what not. They should just concentrate on making original stuff of their own.

Top Bottom