• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Employee Inadvertently Adds More Fuel to the Xbox Multiplatform Fire - Push Square

Microsoft Employee Inadvertently Adds More Fuel to the Xbox Multiplatform Fire

Cary Chen is Microsoft's director of game content in Asia, and the recent role change has seen him update his LinkedIn. However, he may have over-shared what his job involves; it previously said the portfolio range of games he looks after includes "Xbox Game Studios, Activision, Blizzard, Zenimax and Bethesda across PC, Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and Mobile". This has since been amended to remove mention of platforms entirely.

Sushi_Combo

Scared On Fire GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

CamHostage

Tbf, with the acquisition of ABK and COD and Overwatch 2, isn't that technically the case already?

Yes.
Was technically the case for anyone handling the Minecraft product line too.

Also, I often question some of these "boilerplate text" news bits, Maybe there's a way to track micro changes on LinkedIn but sometimes that text has been on there for a long time and just got mined for relevance to rumors. (If I'm reading the reports right, what was changed wasn't the text, it was the removal of the text after it was discovered. So platforms could have been there since 2022 or longer...)

But whatever, the situation will be clear in a week.

Did you know that Apple has a Windows version of iTunes? And Microsoft Word runs on macOS? These are crazy times we’re living in

I love poor attempts at trying to conflate different scenarios in order to minimize this.

We're talking significantly different models, but let's take a look at both of the applications you mentioned.

Microsoft Word and the entire office suite runs like ass on MacOS. OneNote is especially worse on MacOS.

iTunes... which is really not relevant anymore is also severely limited on Windows when it came to managing apple hardware.

Now let's go to the heart of your argument. This idea that there is going to be largely a platform agnostic approach to things. This is largely true once hardware becomes ubiquitous and while we're closer than we were with the PS3/360 or PS2/Gamecube/Xbox but we're not there yet and it's a long road until we are. In the meantime we're going to see the formation of platforms as a service that will largely define the next stage of the industry.

Microsoft may become the largest 3rd party publisher, which will position itself to pivot as a platform holder in the future, but Nintendo, Sony, and Valve will have a significant advantage over them, because it can't just be games, it has to be ecosystem, otherwise every publisher will create their own service and platforms.

Sony has a significant advantage over Microsoft in nearly every regard for the future. They can easily put PlayStation Streaming on every TV they manufacture for no cost. They're going to have the only premium video game console on the market which will make them synonymous with gaming. They'll eventually put out a handheld and a PC launcher (probably going further to include MacOS)

Their controllers are going to be synonymous with gaming, so when someone wants to buy a controller for their TV to stream... it's going to be a dual sense or dual sense knock off.

So, it's a big deal.

Damigos

I love poor attempts at trying to conflate different scenarios in order to minimize this.

We're talking significantly different models, but let's take a look at both of the applications you mentioned.

Microsoft Word and the entire office suite runs like ass on MacOS. OneNote is especially worse on MacOS.

iTunes... which is really not relevant anymore is also severely limited on Windows when it came to managing apple hardware.

Now let's go to the heart of your argument. This idea that there is going to be largely a platform agnostic approach to things. This is largely true once hardware becomes ubiquitous and while we're closer than we were with the PS3/360 or PS2/Gamecube/Xbox but we're not there yet and it's a long road until we are. In the meantime we're going to see the formation of platforms as a service that will largely define the next stage of the industry.

Microsoft may become the largest 3rd party publisher, which will position itself to pivot as a platform holder in the future, but Nintendo, Sony, and Valve will have a significant advantage over them, because it can't just be games, it has to be ecosystem, otherwise every publisher will create their own service and platforms.

Sony has a significant advantage over Microsoft in nearly every regard for the future. They can easily put PlayStation Streaming on every TV they manufacture for no cost. They're going to have the only premium video game console on the market which will make them synonymous with gaming. They'll eventually put out a handheld and a PC launcher (probably going further to include MacOS)

Their controllers are going to be synonymous with gaming, so when someone wants to buy a controller for their TV to stream... it's going to be a dual sense or dual sense knock off.

So, it's a big deal.
Totally agree.
And there is also something else called profit. Despite being a trillion dollar company, MS wants profit, like every company. And for now, there is just 80 billion dollars on expenses

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope they do put everything everywhere (all at once) to be honest. But, the internet is literally trawling through anything they can to find something to report on.

Malcolm9

So, it's a big deal.
I mean Playstation is already synonymous with gaming even with Xbox about, nothing will change in that respect.

Allandor

This is not to surprising. With the Activision blizzard deal, they signed contracts to bring out some games for the other platforms. For now it doesn't say anything about the direction Microsoft is going. Just stop those rumors and wait for something official.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I guess technically this is true as things stand, the question is does this removal mean anything either way? Time may tell, could just have removed it off his own initiative 🤷‍♂️

I mean Playstation is already synonymous with gaming even with Xbox about, nothing will change in that respect.

This statement wasn't in regards to Xbox, but rather Sony's competitors in Valve and Nintendo who both have a large mind share when it comes to "gaming"

Within the next 5 years I guarantee you there will be a Sony handheld and there will be a PC Storefront if Microsoft bows out this year. The amount of money Sony spends specifically trying to compete with Microsoft combined with the additional revenue due to increased market share, Sony is going to not only spend that money, but invest more towards other elements of gaming.

All that said and we still haven't touched on mobile gaming, which I believe is coming as well. Similar to Microsoft, Sony would want a mobile game store on Apple and Android. And then there is still cloud which will push to TVs.

I called it a while back but Sony is going to redefine what PlayStation means.

😂 it’s not like they currently have no bathesda games on the platform to manage. All those bathesda games on PlayStation must be my imagination. I hope this think next week exposes a lot you and your agendas.

I'm wondering if all this stuff has been out there a while or if people are just now finding it.
It’s has Microsoft already has all bathesda legacy games and live service games on PlayStation. This is nothing new people are just using this to create their agenda since it’s been the wish of many people here for Xbox to die some how they don’t see that their wishes has the opposite effect. The only bathesda games that aren’t on PlayStation or schedule for the platform are Indy, hifi rush, redfall, starfeild. Everything else from bathesda is on PlayStation.

splattered

Maybe Microsoft is gonna pull support for all other platforms and just go xbox only. Just pay the cma fines and be about their merry way. No I'm not serious but feel free to dog pile. :)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I hope they do put everything everywhere (all at once) to be honest. But, the internet is literally trawling through anything they can to find something to report on.

That's what the internet does. That's why we love the internet.

TBH now that I have the ROG I remote play PS5 games, have virtually every launcher, and emulation issa breeze.

As a consumer I'm winning, and Microsoft is keenly aware of the mutual benefits with this strategy.

MS is software and services company, office is on iOS.

This is the way.

Pop

Phil about to piss off a whole lot of people next week

Just give me Halo on Playstation. Thx Phil

VAVA Mk2

To be fair... doesn't this fall in line with what Microsoft already said about publishing to Nintendo and PlayStation when they were in trial about the Activision acquisition? The big unknown is if they truly in fact are killing first party hardware and not keeping ANY exclusives. (looks likely, though)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Did you know that Apple has a Windows version of iTunes? And Microsoft Word runs on macOS? These are crazy times we’re living in

What's next? Windows running Linux software? Powershell for Unix? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom