• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft execs partied with Sting in Davos hours before announcing layoffs

NeoGAF slowly turning into ResetEra. None of this should bother you.
18fIpBE.gif

AmuroChan

Their chatter is not aimed at them, it's aimed at us, the unwashed plebes.

100%. You and I both can see who these people really are. It's just sad that a big part of the population do not and actually think of them as some sort of heroes trying to save the world.

sn0man

Could they have cut 1,000 employees that just wasted company resources egregiously?

It can’t be that hard. I could suggest assessing those 50 first. Might save 9,000 of the 10,000’s jobs.

Tams

Seriously? I assume this is a joke, but they could have just not done the completely superfluous and tone deaf concert, wasting $500,000+ when supposedly they’re pinching pennies enough that 10,000 people need to be laid off. It’s just a matter of having common sense and being aware of poor optics. And just giving a shit about people other than yourself, basically.

The monetary argument doesn't wash. The whole party and trip would pay for those 10,000 employees for, what, half a day?

Morally and image wise it isn't good. But practically it doesn't mean jack shit.

I get why, as when it comes to these sums of money it's mindbogglingly for many people. And most people never get into positions where they have to even see such amounts of money (on paper of course). But if you've seen payrolls and expenditures of even quite small companies... woooo boi... it's big.

Last edited:
NeoGAF slowly turning into ResetEra. None of this should bother you.

This place should strive to be a spot where opinions of all sorts get discussed, and not turn into an anti-era forum, where the consensus is the exact opposite of whatever dominant narrative is shared over there, simply out of principle! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's absolutely insane. There is a huge dearth of talent in this industry. I cant believe MS would let go of game developers of all people.
Considering Sony paid $1.2 billion just to retain Bungie's talent. One studio's dev talent was worth more than a billion for a 20x smaller company that is Sony.

Scotty W

Take away: You shouldn’t believe the Davos set have even the slightest interest in equity- if you were still foolish enough to fall for that.

Bragr

Banned
Capitalist are starting to sound a little too much like the French royals at the end of the 18th century.
Let them eat cake.
And the rich working class is starting to sound dumber and dumber and wants more and more.

I hope they speed up the process of getting chips installed in our brains so we can control and remove the worst among us. Start with the poor people.

QSD

Own goal after own goal. I seems like capitalism is making a valiant attempt to topple itself. No need to intervene any more comrades, just stand back 😉

ZoJ79GN.jpg

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

It must be kinda awkward to sit there with only 50 people and watch Sting perform. I mean, I would go, but it would be awkward. Do you clap, cheer, nod?
You sip on the expensive wine and chat how more you can cut to artificially inflate metrics and stock price so you can cash more.

Less employees = revenue per employee goes up = ‘we are more profitable on a per employee basis’

Ownage

On Wednesday morning Microsoft announced it was laying off 10,000 employees, about 5 percent of its total headcount, in response to lowered revenue and a “re-aligned core structure.” Hours earlier, dozens of Microsoft executives attended an exclusive, company-funded Sting concert outside of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. The combination of the two events is a shockingly tone-deaf look for the world’s largest software maker.

The Wall Street Journal broke the news of the Tuesday night concert, which was reportedly an “intimate” gathering of 50 or so people. Gordon “Sting” Matthew Thomas Summer is one of the most recognizable rock musicians in the world, whose private appearances generally cost around $500,000 according to AAE Music. It’s not known if Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, who personally signed the blog post announcing the mass layoff, attended the concert, though he was present in Switzerland for the World Economic Forum.

Nadella did not announce any cutbacks for executive pay or bonuses.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
More like a studio filled with a bunch of blue haired weirdos and I'm sure a few senior devs somehow keeping the ship running.
Hair color of developers are more important than the games they produce? Games that even Xbox regards "sets a new bar" and what "we should hope to be able to achieve going into a new generation of consoles."

What did I miss?

Aesius

Those 10,000 employees should have worked harder and become executives themselves. Then they could have watched the Sting concert and would still have jobs.

The monetary argument doesn't wash. The whole party and trip would pay for those 10,000 employees for, what, half a day?

Morally and image wise it isn't good. But practically it doesn't mean jack shit.

I get why, as when it comes to these sums of money it's mindbogglingly for many people. And most people never get into positions where they have to even see such amounts of money (on paper of course). But if you've seen payrolls and expenditures of even quite small companies... woooo boi... it's big.
People have no capability to understand what money is after a certain point. It's like when people bitch about Walmart's CEO salary. Ok, chain the man to his desk, cattle-prod him into doing the job for free, and distribute his salary evenly to all of Walmart's employees. You now make $20 more per year.

Thirty7ven

Banned
These suits are acting like modern day nobles, out there splashing the money on parties while telling the poor to eat cake on their way out of a job.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The World Economic Forum People.

"The Police"

Kinda funny.

Kinda stings.

Hope Santa Klaus enjoys his evening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom