• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft expanding $99 Xbox program to Best Buy, GameStop

statham

$99 Xbox 360 consoles just got a little bit easier to find. Xbox Live programming director Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb said on Tuesday that Microsoft is expanding its pilot program that lets customers pay just $99 for a 4GB Xbox 360 as long as they sign a two-year service agreement to pay $14.99 a month for an Xbox Gold subscription. While the $99 Xbox deal was initially only available in certain Microsoft retail stores, Hryb said it will soon be available in select Best Buy and Game Stop locations as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-expanding-99-xbox-program-best-buy-gamestop-221551319.html

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I totally called this, woo! Though I thought they'd announce it at the conference.

edit: oh, select Best Buy/Gamestop locations? Thought it was a nationwide thing. Bah.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So instead of "Are there any games you want to reserve today? We have Black Ops 2 in November, Madden 13 coming this summer."

We can no look forward to:

"Hey, i see you're picking up a PS3 game today. What other systems do you have? What's that...you don't own a 360? Did you know that you can now lease one from us for 2 years for only $14.99 a month when you sign a 2 yr XBL Gold membership contract?"

UberTag

I totally called this, woo! Though I thought they'd announce it at the conference.

edit: oh, select Best Buy/Gamestop locations? Thought it was a nationwide thing. Bah.
They're doing a gradual staggered expansion of this model. Provided everything continues to go smoothly it'll be nationwide soon enough.

And when it's entrenched enough they'll be able to offer this for the Xbox 8/Durango next fall/winter and make the effective initial buy-in price for the Xbox successor a solid $150-200 less than whatever Sony could feasibly charge for the PS4/Orbis. Will probably be on par with whatever the Wii U price point is at that time.

This is the gambit that will entrench Xbox as the certified dominant player in North America. Whether or not they can take this purchase model to Europe and win with it remains to be seen. I have my doubts.

bigace33

This is actually pretty cool. I'd jump on the new Xbox with a similar model like this. People do it all the time with High end smart phones.

shira

So instead of "Are there any games you want to reserve today? We have Black Ops 2 in November, Madden 13 coming this summer."

We can no look forward to:

"Hey, i see you're picking up a PS3 game today. What other systems do you have? What's that...you don't own a 360? Did you know that you can now lease one from us for 2 years for only $14.99 a month when you sign a 2 yr XBL Gold membership contract?"
What if you already have xbl gold?

bigace33

There is always a catch. Pathetic.

And here is our first one.

Key word is "New Xbox" aka the 720. I could get a 360 in any pawn shop USA for like $75. lol I'm talking about a model like this for early adopters of their new console.

Yeah...while a 4GB 360 and 2 years of Gold purchased the normal way is $300 total. So this is a ripoff of $160...who would do this?

A 4GB XBOX w Kinect is 300
2 Years of Live is 120
So it's $420, plus you get an extended warranty.

That said, I quoted full prices. You can often find better deals online.

RPGCrazied

Why not just drop the kinect and live subscription and sell it for $99? I'd buy one then. Not so interested with a 2 year contract or a kinect.

sangreal

2 years of live monthly is $240 btw, not $120

this option is, of course, for people that don't have cash up front

FLEABttn

Banned
Future dollars are cheaper than current dollars, so it's really about a wash. Good deal for those who can't or don't want to pay up front.

Orca

Yeah...while a 4GB 360 and 2 years of Gold purchased the normal way is $300 total. So this is a ripoff of $160...who would do this?

$300, $120 for the two years of live, and $50 for the two extended warranties.

Yeah, you can get Live cheaper by looking and there are bundle deals for the console from time to time...but this isn't aimed at the hardcore gamer. It's for the casual gamer who doesn't bother looking for deals online to save $15.

but guys, you could totally get a 360 with kinect for $199 on black friday and get xbox live gold for free by scrounging for free 48 hour and 1 month codes online and who needs a warranty anyway!?!?!?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
but guys, you could totally get a 360 with kinect for $199 on black friday and get xbox live gold for free by scrounging for free 48 hour and 1 month codes online and who needs a warranty anyway!?!?!?

If there's anything this gen has taught me, its that you should ALWAYS get a warranty with a new console regardless of who makes it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I don't understand why people are so against this idea. It's late in the console's life, but I dunno, I'd consider it next gen. It's not a horrible premium you're paying.

milsorgen

Banned
There is always a catch. Pathetic.

And here is our first one.

Count me in as another one. I'm all for it if it means we can get higher quality hardware with a lower barrier to entry. With everyone bitching about the expected lack of power in the "next gen" consoles on one hand while then saying they won't spend X amount on the other I would think others would like this as well.*

*If this system is applied to future consoles À la smart phone pricing.

Count me in as another one. I'm all for it if it means we can get higher quality hardware with a lower barrier to entry. With everyone bitching about the expected lack of power in the "next gen" consoles on one hand while then saying they won't spend X amount on the other I would think others would like this as well.*

Same here. As long as it remains an option.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
dont like it.

do a fricken real price drop instead of becoming rent-a-center collection agency, microsoft cheapasses.

Agreed, except I'd apply it to every gaming company who wants to try this.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
dont like it.

do a fricken real price drop instead of becoming rent-a-center collection agency, microsoft cheapasses.

This is is obviously a trial run for the next console. This points to a price above $399.

There are obviously some customers who will benefit from getting the next product sooner, rather than waiting to save up.

KarmaCow

If it allows MS to push the hardware a bit more, by giving people who won't fork over ~$500+ an option, I'm all for it.

The Tested guys were talking about JC Penny's no bullshit pricing model failed because many American consumers cared more about believing they got a good deal rather than the actual cost.

Speevy

Banned
I'll give Microsoft $100 for every reliable system they've sold me so far, and we should be square.

Four payments of $0.

goldenpp72

They give out gift cards and sales on that model all the time, they also sell 1 year codes to xbl for 30-40 all the time, I bet you could find it now, and yeah, who needs a warranty when the systems come with a 1 year warranty already?

This is a huge rip off if you know how to shop even remotely smart.

Top Bottom