• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY2017 Q3 Earnings - Xbox Live MAU 52m (up 13%) Gaming revenue $1.928bn

ethomaz

Banned
What is this "m"? I have seen it come up several places, but have no idea what it is. Please help me.
Zodiac Scorpio symbol.

1-sign-glyphs.jpg

Like every quarter except CY Q3... that is the only way to compare quarters.

Edit - Ohhhhh it is a joke... sorry.

Yeah, the most obvious thing is to compare the same quarters of the same year, but I guess it makes people happier to mix and match according to their needs.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
sure
1.7 billion is no large difference - lol
especially if you have to deal with hardware, that is getting cheaper over time
especially if you talk about a huge holiday quarter with new products launch

so Sony needs to increase their revenue by just 32%, while Microsoft can't increase their revenue at all. Otherwise you need again more than just that tiny 1.7bn

honest question, do you know what you're talking about?

So you're answer is basically- not fair Sony had more stuff, got it.

jayu26

I predict!!!! ♏ will be the sales leader for Xbox this holiday.

Edit:. Unless supplies strip demand.
Care to make this interesting?
How is that lofty? It's a worldwide brand and a sales leader. I see no reason it can't do double the Xbox this Q. Right?
Except for the part where gaming revenue for Ms doesn't come solely from Xbox One. It comes from PC and Minecraft as well. PlayStation is the biggest worldwide brand and it sales twice the number as Xbox does, but PS4 by itself is not twice the revenue earner compare to everything that Ms includes in their gaming division.

Rolf NB

Never.

And Microsoft will never disclose the split.

But still never. We have a good enough idea of the PS4:pS4Pro split hovering around 5~10:1. This is driven by the price difference, which in Scorpio's case, well ... good luck.

ethomaz

Banned
Like new products or games are not part of revenue lol companies indeed launch new machines and games to increase revenue.

Let'a start to remove Minicraft, PC, mobile from the revenue because it is not fair :D

How is that lofty? It's a worldwide brand and a sales leader. I see no reason it can't do double the Xbox this Q. Right?

You're acting as though this reported revenue was XB1 only. It's not. Sony does not have software sales across a multitude of platforms (minecraft) or services to increase their revenue. They have Vue (a service that is only available in a few markets) that's about it. If MS gave us a breakdown of their gaminbrevenue from Xbox One and Xbox live we could compare those figures to Sony's but since they don't they aren't really comparable and claiming they are is either being incredibly ignorant or disingenuous. There are more to these figures than just the total revenue sum.

They could only reach fake 4B with checkerboard revenuing.

Hah! Clever. This thread needed some levity.

no it's not.
and thankfully we normally don't have these typ of poster here in earnings topics.
so i'm done talking to you. I would have no problem to educate you on various financial matters, but not with that console warrior attitude

bitbydeath

Gold Member
no it's not.
and thankfully we normally don't have these typ of poster here in earnings topics.
so i'm done talking to you. I would have no problem to educate you on various financial matters, but not with that console warrior attitude

Nice, I only presented the facts so grow up and stop with the insults. Take your warrior bullshit elsewhere.

Zedox

What I do wonder is if MS will talk about subscribers for XGP after it's released. It would be an interesting metric.

jayu26

Alright, let's keep it to NPD, because world wide it's not even going to be fair.

You said:

As in device that is currently known as Scorpio will be the sales leader by itself [in NPD]

So I propose an avatar bet. My bet is:

The device that is currently known as Scorpio, whose name may change before it's release, will sell less than base model PS4 or base model Xbone One during the Holiday months in US NPD chart combined. As in, we will add up the total numbers for all the Holiday months and these are the numbers that shall be used to determine the winner. Holiday months will be defined as month in which Scorpio first releases till December 2017. The losser of the bet has to wear avatar of opponent's choice for a month.

When Scorpio launches and they still use MAU then I think the launch is a disaster.

Not necessarily. Let me quote one of the best posts on this metric I've read in a while:

For units on physical software, yes, things above 30-35% even today would be rather generous. People would often guess 50%+, which we've only ever seen once (For Honor), or maybe twice if we include Madden's LTD and assume EA's statement meant units sand not revenue on the super microtransactions bundle versions.

That said, the rate on that has been increasing 5% (in percentage points) every six months, so 40% may not be impossible soon, but if we go back two years, it would have been insanely overboard.

For mobile, season pass, DLC, and microtransaction revenue, no, and that's what's driving a lot of the change here.

Since I assume you mean Xbox games in particular, I would make statements like overestimating Halo 5's digital unit sales, but plausibly notably underestimating how much they make on microtransactions, which could be *a lot* of money.

For reference, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 made more money on microtransactions than it did on season passes and standalone DLC sales despite Black Ops 3 having series best sales for both of the latter categories. Ultimate Team for EA Sports is also now north of $800 million a year.

This is also why MAU is actually a very relevant number. Ongoing monetization can matter more than unit sales for some games

gamz

Your post specifically said that Scorpio will be the sales leader. Getting cold feet are we?

I said it will out sell the Xbox. I said nothing of the PS. But since you want to throw Sony in there. Why not? They both have two consoles out.

NPD or Global?

Are fiscal reports threads NPD only related? because worldwide I don't see the last bit happening at all

I think there's a chance Scorpio outsells Pro this Holiday sure, even globally. It should do very well in NA and I'm not sure how much pull Pro is having really on a global level. Scorpio has the advantage of being a new hardware launch as well.

Then again Pro may get a price drop / strong bundles so we will see.

NA I for sure anticipate Scorpio over Pro

Main thing that makes this somewhat hard to discuss is we have no accurate data on Pro outside of what it's selling in Japan, where it's doing OK / not lighting the world on fire. I suspect adoption for Pro is much stronger in NA but not sure how much weight it's pulling in other markets.

jayu26

I said it will out sell the Xbox. I said nothing of the PS. But since you want to throw Sony in there. Why not? They both have two consoles out.
So you agree to this?
So I propose an avatar bet. My bet is:

The device that is currently known as Scorpio, whose name may change before it's release, will sell less than base model PS4 or base model Xbone One during the Holiday months in US NPD chart combined. As in, we will add up the total numbers for all the Holiday months and these are the numbers that shall be used to determine the winner. Holiday months will be defined as month in which Scorpio first releases till December 2017. The losser of the bet has to wear avatar of opponent's choice for a month.

BigPapi

The real question is what is the OI for the gaming division we can compare revenue all day but if the division ain't bringing the margins it doesn't matter

jayu26

The real question is what is the OI for the gaming division we can compare revenue all day but if the division ain't bringing the margins it doesn't matter
I don't think they have talked about operating income for gaming in a long time, but it should still be good. Xbox live is still a huge earner.

There isn't much reason to belive the Xbox division isn't profitable.

Cost of manufacturing the Xbox One at this point has to be low, and Xbox is doing very strongly with Live / Software / and Digital. Their 1st party output is also rather small at this point so they can't have a massive amount invested in development there.

I doubt it's a "hugely" profitable venture, but there's not much evidence to think it isn't in the black.

Honestly if they dont want to talk about that, then fine. But i really wish they'd give us hardware and software numbers.

This Holiday should look like this

PS4 base > Xbox One base > Scorpio > PS4 Pro

PS4 combined > Xbox One combined

PS4 Pro will out sell Scorpio thanks to a price drop IMO.
Still this all depends on price .
MS did okay going to be interesting to see how much growth they have this year .

shanew21

I'm going to agree with you. I think MS has a much better marketing plan this time around.

But only if Scorpio is priced at $399.

PS4 Pro will out sell Scorpio thanks to a price drop IMO.
Still this all depends on price .
MS did okay going to be interesting to see how much growth they have this year .

Yeah price drop / bundles could easily put the Pro ahead.

I'm just leaning Scorpio because I think it's going to perform proportionally better than Pro did compared to base PS4. Because it's a much larger upgrade compared to the original box.

Pro is a nice step up but if you already have a PS4 you aren't missing a ton passing on it. In comparison Scorpio is going to be a huge leap from the base One and I think that's going to be pretty enticing for Xbox gamers. I think you'll see a lot of people upgrading.

But yeah it's not something I'm dead set on or anything. Especially if Sony use some of their marketing partners like Destiny 2 to do Pro bundles and not just base model bundles

Chobel

Scorpio will outsell PS4 Pro this holiday simply for the fact that Scorpio will be new product which just got released. After the holiday it could go either way, but the MS is handling marketing and the way Sony is
not
handling marketing, I think Scorpio will continue outselling PS4 pro.

shanew21

Scorpio will outsell PS4 Pro this holiday simply for the fact that Scorpio will be new product which just got released. After the holiday it could go either way, but the MS is handling marketing and the way Sony is
not
handling marketing, I think Scorpio will continue outselling PS4 pro.

They have the marketing and power advantage, and somewhat of a good luck charm if RDR2 releases that holiday. Definitive version of the biggest game of the year.

Why is this a playstation thread now???

Eh not a whole lot else to talk about really here other than some debate about what the next year will look like.

We don't have Xbox One units, revenue is solid but nothing hugely interesting there, MAUs are down but that isn't surprising post Holidays.

I mean there isn't much else to talk about other than how Scorpio will impact their business.

JaggedSac

Eh not a whole lot else to talk about really here other than some debate about what the next year will look like.

We don't have Xbox One units, revenue is solid but nothing hugely interesting there, MAUs are down but that isn't surprising post Holidays.

I mean there isn't much else to talk about other than how Scorpio will impact their business.

Anyone want to talk about Office 365 or Azure?

Top Bottom