• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has acquired 3̶ 5 more studios

What studios has Microsoft acquired?

• Asobo

Votes: 151 34.0%
  • Avalanche

Votes: 117 26.4%
  • Crytek

Votes: 267 60.1%
  • SEGA

Votes: 143 32.2%
  • Techland

Votes: 87 19.6%
  • Moon Studios

Votes: 79 17.8%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 54 12.2%
  • IO Interactive

Votes: 121 27.3%
  • Kojima Productions

Votes: 104 23.4%
  • Focus Home Interactive

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • Playtonic

Votes: 58 13.1%
  • Bloober team

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • NetherRealm

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Rocksteady

Votes: 15 3.4%
  • Warner Bros.

Votes: 13 2.9%

• Total voters

reksveks

So halo didn't have a shit showing last year, and had tons of articles talking about nothing but issues with it's development? Same is said about whats happening over at RARE with everwild.

They are relying on Bethesda and deals for gamepass more than anything this E3.
Tons of Everwild articles? I only remember the one where they didn't know what game they are making yet and it definitely feels like Rare knew the world that they wanted to create but not the gameplay mechanics but not sure about tons

quest

Not Banned from OT
You’re talking about a situation that clearly no longer exists and I wonder why. I could follow if Xbox had underperformed with 23+ studios before but that’s never existed.
Sit back and relax. They’re clearly not relying too much on anything at this stage.
No point in arguing last year they tried to use 343 to taint playground for example. This is the new move it is Matt Bootys fault that Obsidian had the out world under contract and was releasing in 2018. His fault they want to do a full blown WRPG that takes more than 2 years with avoid. Its his fault that Wasteland 3 was crows sources and couldn't be made exclusive and it will take inXile a few years to make a full blown rpg. He was the idiot who green lit playgrounds second team because that means Fable can't be developed in 18 months lol ffs. People are losing their shit at this point trying to lay blame for nothing because of salt. Sony went on a money hat world tour Microsoft fought back simple. That is the world we live in.

reksveks

Is this where we talk about the Metal Gear rumor that just leaked?
Nah, it's too weird

26 studios soon to be 30.....

.....still no games.

I'm an Microsoft fan and I'm getting bored of hearing about these purchases. I know its E3 on Sunday but please just get a steady stream of high quality games out.
Ignore the rumours

Rxq109

Neo Member
Omg... what if they announce that they will buy the rights of LUNAR and then proceed to make LUNAR3 ! ! ... yes??

I think this guy is just trolling for clicks at this point. I doubt Xbox bought 5 more studios.
Sad enough, he's probably not trolling, he actually believes himself. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Doesn't have the brightest burning bulb.

Not the brightest crayon in the box.

Missing gray matter.

Not the brightest pebble on the beach.

Not the sharpest pencil in the school house.

Weak in the head.

As smart as bait.

A few cards short of a full deck.

Doesn't have much between the ears.

As thick as a brick.

As daft as a brush.

Lights on but nobody's home.

A few bricks short of a full load.

Okay, I'm done.

DaGwaphics

EA, ubisoft, 2k
For only 60 bill

Well, some have said that MS is going to need to invest $40b a year in development to keep GP going, so, those are the kind of moves they'd have to make. Just in order to have a way to spend that kind of cash. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Corndog

Banned
My point was they seem incapable of managing even current long standing studios like 343.

Also should have managed coalition better, I think Rod would have stayed if they hadn't made them a gears factory even though it was the studios choice. I would have just let them do whatever they wanted from the beginning. The reason they even went to them with the license was because they had no one else to work on gears at the time.

And this goes back to them relying too much on stable franchises.
I agree on 343i not in coalition. Unless that’s why he said he left. I haven’t seen anything saying that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
MS's goal should be 36 studios. Some with multiple teams.
Each AAA game with a 3 year time line = 1 AAA game a month plus all the AA and smaller stuff as a cherry on top.

Prediction: The market won't be able to support 1 AAA per month.

GAAS is going to cause a contraction as more and more gamers ignore new releases due to finding "their game".

oldergamer

Look at this point 26 studios aren’t releasing 26+ shitty games. 5 of their studios already product consistently good games Zenimax games aren’t bad either so it’s kind of impossible to say “we don’t know if they’ll be good”... we know some will already. It’s the unknown that we can’t judge.
Not only that but more then half of those studios has grown in size or have multiple teams. They did say they want to get to the point of one AAA game each quarter and/or one release a month.

oldergamer

Prediction: The market won't be able to support 1 AAA per month.

GAAS is going to cause a contraction as more and more gamers ignore new releases due to finding "their game".
The market can already support multiple AAA games in the same month. I don't think what you mentioned is true. They are building a library of exclusive games that will be on the service long term. Its about giving people reason to stay on the service. Having lots of games you haven't tried yet is a good reason

And who said anything about GAAS?

HoofHearted

Any reason for having more. They have some 23, so they should be releasing at least 20 games in next 5yrs ? Had they planned and managed resources properly there is no reason to have more. They need better leadership and efficiency not more game studios.
There’s a meaningful joke in my response..

Sumo Digital - they will be making the next xbox mascot
200.gif

Papacheeks

Banned
I agree on 343i not in coalition. Unless that’s why he said he left. I haven’t seen anything saying that.

He said he needed a change in work. He had been on gears for 15 years. They should have stayed on black tusk project.

He's now with blizzard. I think if he was given ability to run the studio and do what ever he wanted he might of stayed. That's just my 2 cents on it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What do you think game studios create?
Hey man, I just want to see some good games. I’m heavily invested in the Xbox eco system and I’ve invested for my kids too. There’s three xboxes in my house all loaded with game pass. I just want to see some truly exciting games and not people talking about acquisitions on Twitter.

elliot5

Grubb (as reportedly mention on the Xbox Two podcast by not Grubb) that
Netherrealm and Rocksteady
are rumored acquisitions...

wtf is happening. there's no way, especially not on Sunday.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Grubb (as reportedly mention on the Xbox Two podcast by not Grubb) that
Netherrealm and Rocksteady
are rumored acquisitions...

Almost no chance those happen Sunday but would fill some holes in the portfolio. Those would be 2 big gets but doubtful.

DaGwaphics

Hey man, I just want to see some good games. I’m heavily invested in the Xbox eco system and I’ve invested for my kids too. There’s three xboxes in my house all loaded with game pass. I just want to see some truly exciting games and not people talking about acquisitions on Twitter.

Regardless of whether or not they have 23 studios, or 26, or 28, or 60, hopefully we get a better idea of who is working on what after Sunday. At least the near-term stuff.

On one hand I want them to spell everything out, but on the other I think they should stay silent on projects that are more than a year out. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well, now this is a special Sunday with all the eyes of the gaming media watching, big announcements wouldn't really be out of place here. It's not just a random Sunday.

reksveks

On one hand I want them to spell everything out, but on the other I think they should stay silent on projects that are more than a year out. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I said it last year but I would have like them to do the MCU style Roadmap dump of titles and expected dates but games are much more unpredictable so every delay would have been scrutinised to hell and back

Genx3

News like this pains me. Acquisitions largely only lead to deflating the existing creativity and structure of these studios. Eventually all games blend together to a degree. I think Microsoft has been better at this lately…but I’ll never forgive them for neutering Rare.
When did they neuter Rare?
Rare makes what ever game they want and they have been Xbox' most creative studio.
How exactly did MS neuter them?

elliot5

Regardless of whether or not they have 23 studios, or 26, or 28, or 60, hopefully we get a better idea of who is working on what after Sunday. At least the near-term stuff.

Well, now this is a special Sunday with all the eyes of the gaming media watching, big announcements wouldn't really be out of place here. It's not just a random Sunday.
Just seems too soon given the WarnerMedia restructuring/breakup being a few weeks ago..

reksveks

When did they neuter Rare?
Rare makes what ever game they want and they have been Xbox' most creative studio.
How exactly did MS neuter them?
People do come out with weird narrative to fit the facts, Rare is doing what Rare wants to do. Just like Ninja Theory did with their multiplayer game, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I suspect that there could be a stronger argument that Microsoft needs to centralised the game pitch process like Sony.

Genx3

It's really surprising to see people support this kind of action from big companies. Fanboys cannot see beyond their noses. If all studios end up with MS or Sony in one way or another what's stopping them from charging double for gamepass, pricing games higher , making online connection obligatory etc...

The Market will decide. If MS dares to do any anti-consumer crap like they tried before they launched the Xbox One the Market will turn on them.
As long as the subscription price is loaded with value there will be tons of subscribers.

Important reminder:
Just because Game Pass exists does not mean you can't buy the games the old fashioned way for $60 a pop...

quest

Not Banned from OT
People do come out with weird narrative to fit the facts, Rare is doing what Rare wants to do. Just like Ninja Theory did with their multiplayer game, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I suspect that there could be a stronger argument that Microsoft needs to centralised the game pitch process like Sony.

No thanks I'll take letting these new studios have creative freedom. I don't trust the bean counters to give the green light. That was the previous management no thanks. Obsidian do gears rpg, inXile do Halo rpg ect screw that. Will there be a few turds sure but I want to see what these studios can do with out micromanagement.

Top Bottom