• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld Studio says they are open to being acquired "Profits Are ‘Too Big for a Studio With Our Size to Handle"

Draugoth

Gold Member
palworld-pokemon-comparison-1706294152657.jpg

Speaking in an interview with Bloomberg, Pocketpair boss Takuro Mizobe confirmed Palworld cost less than ¥1 billion ($6.7 million) to make, and has made tens of billions of yen in profit. For context, ¥10 billion is around $67.2 million.

It’s an amount that is “too big for a studio with our size to handle,”
said Mizobe, who later clarified he has no intention of expanding or offering shares in the company. Rather, he wants Pocketpair to remain small (it’s currently 55 people). Mizobe said he is open to a partnership or acquisition, but insisted he has not started buyout talks with Microsoft. Perhaps more pressing, Pocketpair is in talks to bring Palworld to more platforms, suggesting a potential PlayStation 5 and Nintendo console release in the future.

via IGN

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Hard to put a valuation on these guys. They could be one hit wonders. They could go on to make multiple huge sellers. Palworld is a valid IP now.

He should hold onto that money, his game won't the "latest hot thing" forever, and when the 15 minutes of fame window passes, he'll want those profits to re-invest back into his company and work on something new.

Classic GAAS title with potential to go big, coming out of Japan. Obviously he must be short on manpower, Japanese devs dont have experience with this situation.

He for sure is looking for outside help.

Last edited:
He should hold onto that money, his game won't the "latest hot thing" forever, and when the 15 minutes of fame window passes, he'll want those profits to re-invest back into his company and work on something new.
If you have played the game, you will see its very slim chance they will be in similar situation again.

They need to act on it, else potential will get wasted.

Topher

Gold Member
Wasn't one of their executives or leads posting anti-acquisition/consolidation tweets not too long ago?

Wasn't one of their executives or leads posting anti-acquisition/consolidation tweets not too long ago?
they can't talk about it publicly even if they were/ especially if they are pursuing it. So honestly whatever they say about it is meaningless until there's a press release about it.

Topher

Gold Member
they can't talk about it publicly even if they were/ especially if they are pursuing it. So honestly whatever they say about it is meaningless until there's a press release about it.

No, he wasn't speaking about it specifically, but in a general sense. I'll see if I can find it later.

Last edited:

Elios83

They want to sell and be paid until the iron is still hot. The bubble around their game has already hugely deflated in a single month, that's why timing is vital to become rich :messenger_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

They really need some expert dev to solve some gameplay problem (enemy ia and pathfinding)

The game is fun and everything, but it is very ROUGH.

Mr Hyde

First time I ever see someone complain about too much money. You can give some of that cheese to me if it's such a heavy burden on you.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
First time I ever see someone complain about too much money. You can give some of that cheese to me if it's such a heavy burden on you.
Maybe it’s a tax thing in their country, and that things change for them that they don’t want to. Not every country is like USA where the more money you make, the less taxes you pay.

Raven117

Lolol. They know they are about to get fucked by something.

No one says this. They want to get bought because they can’t keep up.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think that's the point. They don't have the ability or manpower to reinvest this type of money, so other than some fat yacht level bonuses they can't do anything constructive with it.

PSYGN

I understand the struggle. Feel free to offload your profits onto me so that you can better manage it.

DragonNCM

Exactly this happened to my friend, he started small business with mind that he will get like a solid salary for him & his wife. Suddenly he is in position where he cant handle all the pressure what is building in short period of time, starting from employs, management officers, logistics, bank transfers, etc. In the end he make it out but with lot of stress & problems. He told me in that stressful times that he think to sale the business for big profit & forget about everything :)

I think that's the point. They don't have the ability or manpower to reinvest this type of money, so other than some fat yacht level bonuses they can't do anything constructive with it.
Constructively, they should hold onto a lot of it to weather times when business isn't as good.

Top Bottom