• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is handing out the original Crackdown for free

Shin

Banned
To celebrate the release of Crackdown 3, Microsoft has made the original free.

Xbox One users can now grab a free copy of Crackdown with no strings attached. This isn’t the first time the Xbox 360 has been handed out for free, but if you never grabbed it, now’s your chance.
The free gift is to celebrate the release of Crackdown 3 next week on Friday, February 15.
To grab your free copy, just log into to your account through your Xbox console, find the game on the store, and hit the download button.

Credit: VG247

That's cool of them. Gets Xbox owners interested in the upcoming game. I'm sure there are still plenty of gamers in the Xbox ecosystem who've never played it.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

Anything free is always good. That being said, I got Crackdown 2 free years back, and its part of the reason I'm not interested in the sequel. I can't imagine that the previous game is going to be much better as far as changing minds if people haven't played it before.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The original was amazing and a total blast to play. The second was... not so much. Just missed all the beats that made the original so fun. If I recall correctly it dumped the upgradable transforming cars, used the same city, added stupid zombies... it just wasnt anywhere near as good. It wasn’t even the same thing, it was like a totally different studio did it...

But the first... one of my faves on 360.

It’s worth noting that the first game is X enhanced and runs in 4k, btw.

epicnemesis

Anything free is always good. That being said, I got Crackdown 2 free years back, and its part of the reason I'm not interested in the sequel. I can't imagine that the previous game is going to be much better as far as changing minds if people haven't played it before.
The first one is much better.

Vawn

Banned
Microsoft is handing Crackdown to children for free to get them hooked.

That's messed up Microsoft.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
It would be nice if Nintendo did this and gave us Metroid Prime Trilogy for free as to celebrate that Metroid Prime 4 is releasing so soon.

It would be nice if Nintendo did this and gave us Metroid Prime Trilogy for free as to celebrate that Metroid Prime 4 is releasing so soon.

I know you're joking, but seriously we should get free stuff from MS, Sony and Nintendo more often. We pay up 400 bucks for those robotic hunks of shit they put out and we basically never get any free goodies. I still remember when CDPR was giving The Witcher 2 copies on Xbox One for free and I thought to myself like holy shit there's a catch here and I'm going to end up missing a kidney. THAT'S how unused to being pampered we are.

VAVA Mk2

Remember when people bought this just to play the Halo 3 beta and discovered it was an actually fun game in addition to a Halo 3 beta ticket. My fav part is getting all of the agility orbs.

Phobia

I've always felt like I was crazy for thinking this, but Crackdown is boring to me. I got it back in the day for the Halo 3 Beta or whatever it was, but the game itself never held me. Not huge into collectibles though.

Pallas

I already gotten it for free a while back, but it’s a pretty good game and even better that it’s free currently.

Microsoft is handing Crackdown to children for free to get them hooked.

That's messed up Microsoft.

Yea shame on them for offering it for free instead of making us buy a remaster.

alienator

eh this is already the 2nd time they are giving it away for free on xbl (last time was 9 nov 2018) , Installed it back then and played a few hours, concluding it was better in my memories on 360 back then.... Has not aged well.

I don't understand why I need to put in my credit card details to buy a free game.

Doesn't make much sense.

Still "bought" it. I will check it out even though I didn't really like Crackdown 2 that much.

Fox Mulder

The first one was way better than the sequel. It may feel dated today though as many open world games took what it did well years ago now.

Iced Arcade

Just finished the game again and finished getting the 500 agility orbs last night. the game age surprisingly well.

I find it odd that they never made the 2nd game back compatible

Horns

This is a marketing strategy that should be used more often. Give your older titles away in order to promote your newer products.

Pallas

Now when will we get CD2, I never played it and have heard it’s worse than the first but I still want to try it out.

Handing "crack down" to childr...... Nevermind.

I get the joke, but considering it came from you, I had to reply accordingly.

Kagey K

Banned
Now when will we get CD2, I never played it and have heard it’s worse than the first but I still want to try it out.

It’s still a decent game, but nothing like the first. I think MS wants the memory of CD2 wiped from our minds.

If CD1 was an 8, then 2 is a 6 and they missed a lot of what made 1 fun.

Top Bottom