• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Issues Apologies Over Inappropriate Comments

Clov

He really should have seen it coming. This is just the sort of thing that happens when your comments are always online.

Sooo did he get fired?
If anonymous leaks are anything to go off, probably.

EDIT:
1. Durango has forced always online DRM system-wide.

2. This Twitter guy was confirming the above fact. There is no other possible explanation
I agree it's pretty blatant, but there's always the very slight possibility it was just a feature hotly debated(still being debated?) internally at Microsoft and this guy being a creative director was somehow emotionally invested in said debate. If that's the case his tweets were still a dumb idea, since that's the negative impression everybody's going to walk away with.

surly

Banned
With the massive amount of crazy speculation, rumors and talk about the subject.....
What do you mean crazy speculation and rumours? GAF decided that these things were facts a long time ago. Don't be open-minded about this!

Here are the facts: -

1. Durango has forced always online DRM system-wide.

2. This Twitter guy was confirming the above fact. There is no other possible explanation

3. If MS announce that Durango doesn't have this limitation, the "rumour" (i.e. fact) was still a fact, but MS had to change their plans. There is no other possible explanation.

The sooner you accept the above, the sooner you can be assimilated into the hive mind, where everyone finds JPGs about a guy losing his job to be hilarious.

Is this good or bad? As pro-consumer as GAF is, it also has an agenda to defend it's particular vision of what the games industry should be. For those who prefer games that are criticized on GAF such as Farmville (not saying I do), or for those who look at an always online console with excitement (I do), I'd say that GAF dictating the shape of the industry by imposing it's voice it's a bit of a nightmare. I feel the industry should be shaped by consumers voting with their money, and not by yelling the loudest on the internet.
Please share. What about it excites you?

Honestly, 100% curious.

Kibbles

Only apology that would matter is the removal of always online. Of course, I don't expect that considering they haven't even announced the nextbox yet.

No real denials of the always online rumour. Just a disowning of Sweet Billy and a stock "we don't comment on rumour and speculation".

A big mistake in my opinion. They seem to have completely misread the situation by focusing on the comments about not living in the city and not what people are actually outraged/angry about.

madmackem

Honestly, 100% curious.

There is no upside, things can be done without forcing always online, look at psplus it downloads things in the background turns itself on etc, this is all done without them pushing always online which is being spun as some sort of feature when its plainly just drm.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Is this good or bad? As pro-consumer as GAF is, it also has an agenda to defend it's particular vision of what the games industry should be. For those who prefer games that are criticized on GAF such as Farmville (not saying I do), or for those who look at an always online console with excitement (I do), I'd say that GAF dictating the shape of the industry by imposing it's voice it's a bit of a nightmare. I feel the industry should be shaped by consumers voting with their money, and not by yelling the loudest on the internet.

Just vote with money, don't discuss why one may not want to vote in the positive for certain outcomes?

Doesn't make sense.

surly

Banned
There is no upside, things can be done without forcing always online, look at psplus it downloads things in the background turns itself on etc, this is all done without them pushing always online which is being spun as some sort of feature when its plainly just drm.
Who is pushing this as a feature?

Always online as in always connected = great, but I don't see what benefits forcing that brings. It can certainly bring negatives, such as periods where the console is a brick if you have no connection or the servers at the other end go down, and blocking used game sales, trade ins, and lending games to friends.

To me, the only potential positive is if it led to lower game prices. I can't sell my used games, so I pay less for them in the first place. That wouldn't be so bad, but how likely is that to happen? Not very IMO. I haven't heard any other compelling arguments for why forcing a console to be always online is a good thing for me.

lol i love how a lot of defenders of this bullshit claimed that nobody gives a shit about gaf or twitter and microsoft have to make a official note xD

To me, the only potential positive is if it led to lower game prices. I can't sell my used games, so I pay less for them in the first place. .

LOL,NO

saunderez

A big mistake in my opinion. They seem to have completely misread the situation by focusing on the comments about not living in the city and not what people are actually outraged/angry about.
Yep, as I said in the other thread their silence on the actual issue is deafening. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they had always online as part of Durango, at least up until this fiasco.

Rad-

Wait, he got fired?! Doesn't US have unions? Because here in northern EU, it would be illegal to fire someone over something like this.

I personally think it sounds a bit too harsh if he really lost his job because of this.

Yep, as I said in the other thread their silence on the actual issue is deafening. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they had always online as part of Durango, at least up until this fiasco.

The reason they can't go out and comment on it is because the machine does not officially exist yet. They know they need to comment on this, but they can't because PR is only a small part of the larger machine. They can't go out and comment on something that is not a thing yet. And right now they have a event locked down, and probably can not pull the trigger early on anything.

The only thing Microsoft can do is observable and take notes on what the hardcore forum fans have a interest in, and take that into context for producing FAQ sheets for the press release.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

Honestly, 100% curious.
Well, as a web application developer, I've designed some product features on the assumption that the user has a persistent internet connection; for example, real time content updates without an explicit client request. Obviously I do handle degradation of features gracefully, aka I've provided an offline mode; turn off the content updates which essentially makes the site look "static". However, if I had a guarantee that the users would always be connected, I would invest more resources into exploring what I can do with this ability. My assumption is that game developers would appreciate an always on platform, and introduce new features that haven't been worth looking into before since there was no guarantee of an always connected user base.

Just vote with money, don't discuss why one may not want to vote in the positive for certain outcomes?

Doesn't make sense.

I never said don't discuss or express opinions. All I said is that obviously a site like NeoGAF holds a lot of weight in the game industry now, and apparently it can shape it to a certain degree, which sucks if you don't agree with the general opinion of the forum. For example, I wish GAF was on board with the always-on future, but apparently, they will try hard to stop it.

saunderez

The reason they can't go out and comment on it is because the machine does not officially exist yet. They know they need to comment on this, but they can't because PR is only a small part of the larger machine. They can't go out and comment on something that is not a thing yet. And right now they have a event locked down, and probably can not pull the trigger early on anything.

The only thing Microsoft can do is observable and take notes on what the hardcore forum fans have a interest in, and take that into context for producing FAQ sheets for the press release.
As others have said, all they had to say is "we have no plans to implement always online at this time". No need to talk about Durango at all. They chose radio silence instead. Anything would be better than allowing internet speculation to continue. Continued speculation will be more damaging than them having to leak an insignificant piece of information about Durango.

The sad thing is: He is right. Everything is always online and everybody is fine with it.
I'm always online and I'm fine with it. I honestly don't care if the next Xbox is always online or not, I can't use the Internet when I'm not online either!

But I can understand that not everyone enjoys the reliable Internet connection that I do, so not everyone will share the same opinion.

LukeTim

Now Microsoft just looks worse to me.

Pussy ass Microsoft apologizes for its employees when they do something wrong, instead of beating an apology out of them.

I'm always online and I'm fine with it. I honestly don't care if the next Xbox is always online or not, I can't use the Internet when I'm not online either!

But I can understand that not everyone enjoys the reliable Internet connection that I do, so not everyone will share the same opinion.

why some of you dont get the whole thing? its not browsing the internet or playing online,you cant play a fucking offline single player campaing or adventure game without internet connection on this thing

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The sad thing is: He is right. Everything is always online and everybody is fine with it.
Why yes Krilekk, everything is always online and we're all fine with it. If only you would have made this insightful post earlier, we could have skipped all this drama nonsense.

LukeTim

NO. You're not getting the point.

Everything is, technically, online, yes... but name one device that demands that you to be online in order for you to actually use it...

As others have said, all they had to say is "we have no plans to implement always online at this time". No need to talk about Durango at all. They chose radio silence instead. Anything would be better than allowing internet speculation to continue. Continued speculation will be more damaging than them having to leak an insignificant piece of information about Durango.

If they say there are no plans for always online, they confirm Durango is a thing. Yes, we all know it is a thing and so on and so forth, but it officially is not real. And they can't go out and comment on something that the company has not publicly said is real.

Speculation can run rampant all it want, Microsoft will have close to six months to inform the general public about their machine, and the hardcore segment will know about it as well.

another issue with always online isn't your own connection to the internet, but their connection to you. if they have server issues, you cannot play. maintenance on the servers, you can't play... too many issues that can happen

saunderez

If they say there are no plans for always online, they confirm Durango is a thing. Yes, we all know it is a thing and so on and so forth, but it officially is not real. And they can't go out and comment on something that the company has not publicly said is real.

Speculation can run rampant all it want, Microsoft will have close to six months to inform the general public about their machine, and the hardcore segment will know about it as well.
Fair enough I just think it's a massive mistake. And I say this as a somewhat staunch Microsoft supporter. I want them to mitigate further damage to the brand before it's too late. They better blow everyone away at the reveal or its Sony's generation to lose.

It's not so much that they are forcing online, it's that they are forcing us to be connected to their servers at all times or the console won't function. Having seen what happened with Diablo 3 and SimCity it's not an appealing prospect.

saunderez

Why is that funny? People who game on PC can't sell games, lend them out etc. but that is compensated for by paying less for games in the first place.
It's a trade off that's for sure. But current console pricing + always online = complete bullshit.

Hilarious. How can he not be a spokesman for the company. He's a creative director is he not?

Technically a spokesperson is either appointed that position in the organization or in a given situation, or is from the PR / Marketing department.

He is just a employee at the company.

Feature

Banned
Technically a spokesperson is either appointed that position in the organization or in a given situation, or is from the PR / Marketing department.

He is just a employee at the company.

Someone in a position as his probably does speak for the company. Someone for tech support ofcourse doesn't, but someone who is there for the decision taking does.

p3tran

Banned
I think that what the guy from microsoft studios did, is only extend a small part of the microsoft corporate thinking to a friend of his through tweeter.

its not like HE INVENTED OR ENFORCED the always online drm. more like it was enforced to him also, as its not like he appears to be a top dog in microsoft. greenberg's comment seem to point that way, his cv also.

with this in mind, you can only try to imagine what microsoft decision-makers on console dept think about the consumer...
"deal with it" comes only as a tender compliment

are these the same people behind the previous microsoft consoles? cause it doesnt feel that way.

anyway, maybe as microsoft decides to fire that adam guy basically for speaking the microsoft mind, maybe people will decide to fire microsoft from their personal expenses budget for speaking their own mind in regard to microsoft's choices.

Someone in a position as his probably does speak for the company. Someone for tech support ofcourse doesn't, but someone who is there for the decision taking does.

Greenberg doesn't even know who that guy is. Maybe he's a creative director for some XBLA Kincect game. Maybe he has like one or two employees under him.

Don't let the job title fool you to think this guy has to be on top of the chain at MS.

You don't. Ever. And never will.
Yep. This is how I see it. Its not only unnecessary, it's unrealistic. Just like you still have to gracefully handle unplugged/out of battery controllers, switching live profiles, running out of space on the hard disk, etc.

I still haven't seen even a slight hint of a practical benefit for me in a system-wide setup that forces an online connection to start apps. I couldn't even devil's advocate it if you held a gun to my head. Best I can see so far is that people are hoping the potential alone will lead to great things that none of us seem able to imagine right now ;P

Maybe this outburst will kill off Microsoft's always online shit. We will never know.
My gut tells me they'll just loosen the restrictions a bit. Maybe significantly extend the time you can play without the game being suspended after a dropped connection. But for all I know they designed themselves into a corner somewhere and what seems trivial really isn't without knowing the big picture.

LukeTim

If this guy actually got fired over this, I'll refuse to buy durango purely on those grounds... always online or not.

Microsoft can go fuck themselves if they fired a guy for expressing his opinion.

It's not so much that they are forcing online, it's that they are forcing us to be connected to their servers at all times or the console won't function. Having seen what happened with Diablo 3 and SimCity it's not an appealing prospect.

Thankfully this is still just a rumor, lets not turn this into a fact
probably too late for that
. I say wait and see. Offline mode has to be in, anything else would be idiotic even for Microsoft.

saunderez

My gut tells me they'll just loosen the restrictions a bit. Maybe significantly extend the time you can play without the game being suspended after a dropped connection. But for all I know they designed themselves into a corner somewhere and what seems trivial really isn't without knowing the big picture.
Anything that is entirely controlled by programming is trivial in my mind. I'll comment out the offending code myself if they think it's too difficult.

Top Bottom