• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more studios and more games taking advantage of the Xbox hardware

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I think those are exactly the kind of titles Microsoft don't want an in-house team to do anymore. Expensive singleplayer focused games that can't sell you a Live subscription. I think they're finding it harder and harder making first party studios financially viable, with rising budgets and being limited to only one platform. As such I think they'll continue to invest in partnerships, where other companies share the burden, while having their own in-house teams either making sure fire hits or being closed down if unable to do so. And those sure fire hits will all contain a Live Gold subscription element. I'd be surprised to see them doing an expensive AAA singleplayer only game in-house ever again.

I'd love to be proven wrong. Singleplayer games like the ones you mention are exactly why I prefer Sony these days.

Bookmarking this post and will return after sales results for uncharted 4 is out along with hardware bump in May and additional ps plus subscriptions as a result of that bump

If your waiting for Xbox One exclusives to blow you away like what UC4 is doing than I got bad news for you OP: it ain't happening on the current One hardware. I love my Xbox One but the console is not a graphical powerhouse. Quantum Break just came out and it looks fine in some areas but it's nowhere close to any PS4 exclusive or recent multiplats.
PS4 isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse and yet we have a few PC gamers claiming that UC4 looks better than most PC games. Naughty Dog has a great understanding of the hardware they have to work with and use a lot of tricks to make their games look as good as they do. If Microsoft had a studio that understood the XB1 as much as ND does the PS4, they'd be able to make a game that blows a lot of the competition away.

MS needs to allow more creativity and freedom to their studios, imo! They should not only focus on genres like TPS,FPS and racing! This is the one thing i like in Sony and Ninty they have all!

They have games doing stuff on their hardware that no one else is doing no where else.

Ryse had post processing in a so high quality that at the time not even Crytek games on Pc had and that still very rare on console games, Quantum Break is just insane and on a league on its own right now (very high asset quality even for NPCs, the very best lighting implementation of any game I've seen, insanely crazy particle and effects work and so on).

They also had Fable Legends, which was pretty amazing graphics wise, specially the lighting, and Sea of Thieves looked very impressive as well, very impressive water even.

3rd parties are also making very good looking games for it, Rise of Tomb Raider and The division (even though the last is not on an equal footing compared to the PS4 version, it's one of the best looking 3rd party game on either console) And even Platinum managed to make an impressive looking game for it. Not to mention Sunset Overdrive, incredibly beatiful and smooth and it's specially impressive if you consider it's an open world game with that much going on.

amardilo

I think MS need more internal studios focused on big budget games as a way to showcase the console and they need to allow their studios to not get stuck in a cycle of making the same games over and over again.

However I think MS seem to be funding big new games with 3rd parties. Leaving a small set of internal studios focused on Xbox games (they've a few studios work on Hololens stuff so I'm not counting those) and those seem to be working only on recognised franchises like Halo, Forza and Gears of War.

Again, what is the actual issue if we're getting both the 'core' games and new stuff like Scalebound, SO, Sea of Thieves, etc etc etc?

Dubz

Ever since the original Xbox I have correlated the Xbox brand with power. When the X1 came out and it was less powerful and more expensive, it kind of blew my mind.

Kayant

I don't honestly see why they need to own their own studios to have new IP or games that "push" the hardware. They seem to like to do partnerships and mainly keep ownership of studios they make their big franchises as seen by recent changes. Which isn't a bad strategic at the end of the day. They just need to invest in new IP more which they seem to be doing.

Like it's been said why those it matter that they own studios at this point?

nynt9

That distinction seems artificial to me, I don't believe Battlefront would have looked better had it been a Xbox exclusive : the hardware is the same.
I don't believe that the Xbox hardware is not pushed hard by multiplatform titles.

That's generally not true. Games targeting a single platform can make optimizations specific to that platform and thus improve performance over multi platform engines.

Don't agree that they need more internal studios if outsourcing to a 3rd party is viable. What difference does it make if Scalebound is developed by Platinum or Rare?

Do they need more exclusives? Personally I don't think so, but I currently play games across 3 platforms and also don't have a lot of time to play games as I used to, so am happy if they only release a handful of exclusives a year.

If you feel that you're looking enviously at another platform's titles, that don't have an MS equivalent, save up and buy that as well. My Wii U has provided me with some awesome moments I'm unlikely to get on the X1.

Conduit

Banned
Cool. Linking to Wikipedia is stupid to prove that is what I'm saying

I can see like 20 just off top of my head

Then you have Shinobi's thread about released games for Xbone/PS4. So, you should count games. As i said : Xbone has less exclusive games by a decent amount.

PS4 isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse and yet we have a few PC gamers claiming that UC4 looks better than most PC games. Naughty Dog has a great understanding of the hardware they have to work with and use a lot of tricks to make their games look as good as they do. If Microsoft had a studio that understood the XB1 as much as ND does the PS4, they'd be able to make a game that blows a lot of the competition away.
I should have said graphical powerhouse by console standards. But still, if devs like 343, Remedy, and The Coalition can't figure out the full power of the Xbox One but KojiPro can make MGSV not only run smoothly but look better than any MS exclusive and it performs even better on PS4, that's not a good look for MS and the Xbox.

Conduit

Banned
Shinobi always misses games in those threads.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. This is an old list ( before Xbone games coming to PC announcement and also Rocket League is on Xbone ) and it's not updated anymore. But, will serve.

vzcvzcv.png~original

bidguy

Banned
the bone is just too weak.no amount of exclusives will help it. i expected halo 5 to blow me away graphically after i saw what 343 did on 360 but what did they do ? 60 fps campaign with similar graphics as halo 4... biggest disapointment ever and i firmly believe they have to fight an uphill battle next time to even stay relevant with the franchise

look at quantum break for example, that game looks great at times but i bet that already pushes the xbone to its limits.... they just fucked up by putting don mattrick (who in the meantime is running zynga into the ground) in charge of the bone division

you cant deny phil spencer trying to turn things around but the bones inital reveal just poisoned the whole console... just get rid of it and reboot it with a focus on power and games

Gaz_RB

I feel like MS is not nearly as in it to win it this gen and it shows. Wouldn't be surprised if they bowed out next gen and built a PC platform.

Kezen

Banned
That's generally not true. Games targeting a single platform can make optimizations specific to that platform and thus improve performance over multi platform engines.

This generation of consoles is generic from a hardware standpoint. I see no evidence that top end multiplatform games don't take advantage of what's there.
If the end result is disappointing to some we all know the culprit.

Elandyll

Banned
I guess today is Sony gets an above 90MC AAA exclusive title day?

Yep, today is Sony gets an above 90MC AAA exclusive title day.

And complete, with the calls for MS to buy a studio that is even part of Sony WWS to boot!

Luckydog

That distinction seems artificial to me, I don't believe Battlefront would have looked better had it been a Xbox exclusive : the hardware is the same.
I don't believe that the Xbox hardware is not pushed hard by multiplatform titles.

Is it really that hard to see that when a companies resources are focused on only one piece of hardware, that they might be able to wring a little more performance out of it?

bidguy

Banned
I guess today is Sony gets an above 90MC AAA exclusive title day?

Yep, today is Sony gets an above 90MC AAA exclusive title day.

And complete, with the calls for MS to buy a studio that is even part of Sony WWS to boot!

geez it was a joke post dont get your panties in a bunch

They also need a better hardware, man!

I knew it that some thread like this one will appear after Uncharted 4 reviews. Butthurt everywhere on the net.

Wow, If you seriously want to call that butthurt.... I can only laugh because that's just hilarious. So when I want something great for my console of choice that's being butthurt? I could have mentioned other developers but ND ARE showing what they can do with the PS4 hardware. Wanting a dev similar to that on Xbox is butthurt. Gotcha.

Wow, If you seriously want to call that butthurt.... I can only laugh because that's just hilarious. So when I want something great for my console of choice that's being butthurt? I could have mentioned other developers but ND ARE showing what they can do with the PS4 hardware. Wanting a dev similar to that on Xbox is butthurt. Gotcha.

You should've known this was not a fortuitous time to post such a thread though Tats. Could've waited for post-E3 to see what's shaking. A lot of drive-bys will just assume you're shook by Uncharted 4. Plus you mention ND in the OT as well.

We've already got list wars going.

Conduit

Banned
Wow, If you seriously want to call that butthurt.... I can only laugh because that's just hilarious. So when I want something great for my console of choice that's being butthurt?

But you sound like that you're butthurt or salty or whatever...You mentioned ND in OT, man. Why? I'm just curious. Especially after U4 reviews. And you have bunch of similar threads on other forums like yours.

Luckydog

Not with this gen of consoles I don't see it.

I don't think we have seen it "yet". I get the whole "generic" PC parts thing of these consoles, but we have not seen many huge "hits" from both Sony and MS. Sony has been notoriusly slow on some of its big games with UC4 just now coming out (and looking great). Forza 6 imo looks amazing on Xbone.

But how many other key exclusive games have come out that are not remasters or cross gen games.

I've said it a million times, make some interesting Kinect games. Part of the failure was, there weren't any ground breaking and innovative kinect games at launch or thereafter. There are still millions of kinects out there, make some cool games for that...

Kinect? The idea behind Kinect was alright, but for me this is where 360 started to go downhill fast. As soon as they had announced the Kinect, we got very few exclusives from there. I personally don't believe in actual good Kinect games.

I think those are exactly the kind of titles Microsoft don't want an in-house team to do anymore. Expensive singleplayer focused games that can't sell you a Live subscription. I think they're finding it harder and harder making first party studios financially viable, with rising budgets and being limited to only one platform. As such I think they'll continue to invest in partnerships, where other companies share the burden, while having their own in-house teams either making sure fire hits or being closed down if unable to do so. And those sure fire hits will all contain a Live Gold subscription element. I'd be surprised to see them doing an expensive AAA singleplayer only game in-house ever again.

I'd love to be proven wrong. Singleplayer games like the ones you mention are exactly why I prefer Sony these days.

I'm afraid so too man, but that's a shame. Sunset Overdrive was one, although that wasn't in house. I guess people are right when they said it doesn't really matter if it's inhouse or not. QB isn't inhouse either, so maybe they can find more third party developers to make games for them? Take advantage of that hardware?

Microsofts given up on the Xbox. You should too.

If they had given up on Xbox, i don't think they even would have had an E3 show this year. Come on man.

Clearly they don't think so after they just closed down two studios. Contracting third party studios for exclusive projects (e.g. ReCore, Halo Wars 2, Scalebound, etc.) is surely cheaper and less risky? Don't have to worry about "keeping up" the studio or what they do between active development of projects, etc.

Yeah i guess that does make sense. It's a shame they closed Lionhead and the next Fable should have never been Legends. Should have either been a brand new IP or a singeplayer Fable. Why Press Play was closed we don't even really know, do we? Sad, because i really really enjoyed Max.

So didn't take long to suggest MS buys Naughty Dog.

Couldn't even get pass 1st page

While no one remembers TR.

Lara Croft am cry.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a fantastic game, i think plenty of people remember it. I for one can't wait to see what Crystal Dynamics does next for TR.

If your waiting for Xbox One exclusives to blow you away like what UC4 is doing than I got bad news for you OP: it ain't happening on the current One hardware. I love my Xbox One but the console is not a graphical powerhouse. Quantum Break just came out and it looks fine in some areas but it's nowhere close to any PS4 exclusive or recent multiplats.

Well, Ryse to this day still manages to impress me. Gameplay wise it may not be all that, but damn overall the graphics are lovely. And that was a launch game. If devs go for it, not necessarily always push for 60fps....things can be done with this hardware.

Somnia

But you sound like that you're butthurt or salty or whatever...You mentioned ND in OT, man. Why? I'm just curious. Especially after U4 reviews. And you have bunch of similar threads on other forums like yours.

All he said is he wishes MS had a studio of Naughty Dog's calibur. That OP was just stating he wishes MS would have more studios and focus on more internal games and he COMPLIMENTED Naughty Dog (and other devs for what they've accomplished). The OP in no way was butthurt, salty or the like in fact I thought the OP was really well written without trying to cause anything. Other posters decided to fan the flames (you included).

Ushay

More than anything, I'd want to see a new WRPG (no not Scalebound, although I am hyped for that one too) from them. We'll see I guess.

R3TRODYCE

They focus too much on multiplayer which is why it surprises me when I like one of their exclusives these days.

Kezen

Banned
I don't think we have seen it "yet". I get the whole "generic" PC parts thing of these consoles, but we have not seen many huge "hits" from both Sony and MS. Sony has been notoriusly slow on some of its big games with UC4 just now coming out (and looking great). Forza 6 imo looks amazing on Xbone.

But how many other key exclusive games have come out that are not remasters or cross gen games.

Ryse on Xbox looked good and that was a launch title. No doubt fidelity can increase the better you know the hardware, my point was that this is not exclusive to exclusives. Multiplatform games do that as well.
See BF4 vs Battlefront on Xbox One.

Therefore I hold the belief that top multiplatform games on Xbox One are representative of how powerful the console is, and exclusives are not anymore.

I find the hardware a gigantic disappointment. From the UI (which granted has gotten better) to how games perform....not a good generation so far for them imo

Conduit

Banned
All he said is he wishes MS had a studio of Naughty Dog's calibur. That OP was just stating he wishes MS would have more studios and focus on more internal games and he COMPLIMENTED Naughty Dog (and other devs for what they've accomplished). The OP in no way was butthurt, salty or the like in fact I thought the OP was really well written without trying to cause anything. Other posters decided to fan the flames (you included).

Well, i understood OP in that way because you have bunch of similar threads like this one. Especially now after U4 reviews.

Top Bottom