• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft no longer offers a $1 Game Pass trial

This. Most people I know just kept buying second-hand keys that you could redeem every month for a 1$ trial, cancel, and then re-subscribe again using another key after a month. There was no limit on how many times you could redeem those.

I imagine most of them are just gonna bail on GP now.
oh no, what will they do with a few thousand less subscribers?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I mean this thread is full of people acting like this is the end of Game Pass and they're going to be hemorrhaging subscribers for this. Why aren't you calling those people sensitive? Oh wait I know why
Because none have them have said anything as ridiculous as you. You know this. Quote me anyone who says gamepass is done because of this.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Eh no biggie i've been paying $15 per month for quite a while... if you use bing rewards/and buy games and rack up the $10 in rewards each month it only costs $5. Worth it either way.

I've paid for Game Pass Ultimate for nearly two years as well as received $50 in Amazon gift cards with MS Rewards.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I mean this thread is full of people acting like this is the end of Game Pass and they're going to be hemorrhaging subscribers for this. Why aren't you calling those people sensitive? Oh wait I know why

Where are all these posts saying this is "the end of Game Pass" again?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Sorry lads to all those who were close to starting it up again. Really mean it, it might be a sign of things to come. Hopefully the other method (that adamsapple adamsapple mentioned) remains for a while until those near the end of their current subscription.

I imagine that sub count they brag about is going to drop a lot.

This. Most people I know just kept buying second-hand keys that you could redeem every month for a 1$ trial, cancel, and then re-subscribe again using another key after a month. There was no limit on how many times you could redeem those.

Glad I loaded up a year ago on this deal and maxed it out, so I am covered for about two more years.

After that point, I will probably only Sub to GamePass when a big title releases for a month or so and then cancel until the next game comes out.

Topher

Gold Member
Yep, if you redeem via the console app (instead of the web app), 1 month of GPU is only 8500 points which you can get in like 15~18 days by just doing 5 minutes of daily tasks.

shocked holy shit GIF

I had no idea it was that much cheaper in the console app. If you set to auto redeem you can get it for 7750. Nice!

SteelCurtain 59 SteelCurtain 59 dude.....you need to chill. Those posts are not saying this is the "end of Game Pass" and you know it. Damn sure doesn't make this thread "full" of people saying that.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned

I imagine that sub count they brag about is going to drop a lot.

It was an anecdotal example of people using second-hand Game Pass keys. The fact that you interpret it as me decrying the end of that service makes you look overly sensitive about the topic, lol.

reinking

Gold Member
I just use my reward points for monthly gamepass 🤷

You can make em back each month by doing "dailies" which takes a few mins a day.
Yep. I used the conversion and I am paid up until 3/2025 but will quickly switch back to rewards if they close the conversion loophole. I do not 100% rewards because it started feeling like a job but just the bing/mobile searches get you a deep discount.

It was an anecdotal example of people using second-hand Game Pass keys. The fact that you interpret it as me decrying the end of that service makes you look overly sensitive about the topic, lol.
you literally said the a few thousand would be a lowball for the amount of people who would quit based on this, end of game pass was obviously an exaggeration on my part but I guess I shouldn't have said it

And I apologize as I was skimming and it looked like more people were being super negative than actually were, so that's on me

DaGwaphics

Just when I was close to the 3 years trick. I am 2 weeks away from getting the 1$ deal.
Mr Bean Reaction GIF

You'd just have to hope you are still in time for the 1:1 gold conversion. That wont stay around forever either I'm sure. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They ran these deals for a long time though, I enjoyed my first couple years of the service backed by the $1 trial and the Gold conversion. Now I refill on BF GPU sales.

Last edited:
You can always find one month memberships on key sites for a few bucks, or three months for like $11. I’d rather do that than waste time on Bing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
is there different redemption prices in different regions? I'm seeing 10,500 for the auto-redeem but I'm in the US

My bad i think I mixed up GPU and Gold. It's 10.5K for 1 month of GPU, which, again is very easily doable just by daily minute long things.

The rewards points are incredibly good for someone who uses PC Game Pass only, the conversion is ridiculously low.

YBiJfsl.jpg

Last edited:
You can always find one month memberships on key sites for a few bucks, or three months for like $11. I’d rather do that than waste time on Bing.
Generally I'd agree in that people don't value their time enough for things like that. But I have a bunch of tabs open on Firefox that are just bing searches I refresh each day, and then a "collection" on edge on my phone which I just click on each tab, collectively it probably takes me about 20-30 seconds to get all the searches done each day, which is easy enough to do while in the bathroom, or waiting in line, or other various times where you have time to kill. That's a solid 270 each day (which totals to around 8100 each month) for basically doing nothing

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I just checked again and realized I was looking at XLG. Sorry.
Damn, I was all excited and just getting ready to check out the price for a 3month GPU on my Xbox. They used to occasionally have sales on GPU at 26,000 for 3 months and I buy as many as I had points for.

Drizzlehell

Banned
you literally said the a few thousand would be a lowball for the amount of people who would quit based on this, end of game pass was obviously an exaggeration on my part but I guess I shouldn't have said it

And I apologize as I was skimming and it looked like more people were being super negative than actually were, so that's on me
No, I was actually asking if you're just guessing or if there is some info somewhere on the number of 1-dollar subscribers because I'm curious.

I couldn't care less about the conversion rate that we're gonna see to be honest, but the truth is that there's a lot of cheapskates out there and the economy ain't what it used to be. My guess is that there will be some drop off in the number of subs once this well goes dry, and that it's gonna be more than a few thousand. Just seems like a likely scenario, I can't be sure anyway.

Last edited:
No, I was actually asking if you're just guessing or if there is some info somewhere on the number of 1-dollar subscribers because I'm curious.

I couldn't care less to be honest, but the truth is that there's a lot of cheapskates out there and the economy ain't what it used to be. My guess is that there will be some drop off in the number of subs once this well goes dry, and that it's gonna be more than a few thousand. Just seems like a likely scenario, I can't be sure anyway.
fair enough, I shouldn't have been so aggressive in my response, the economy will definitely be an issue for a lot of people I just don't know how much this trial going away will have an impact as opposed to other things (like people cutting nonessential subscription services in general) but it's impossible to know until looking back at hindsight

I used the CDKeys method to get 3 years of GPU for ~$100 in 2022, stocked up till 2025. Hopefully Gold > GPU conversion is still around then.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:
I got the 3 years back when it first was a thing in like 2019 or so but have just been slowly keeping it alive with Rewards/Ambassador, only down to 1 year left now though lol, guess I gotta start going a little harder into Rewards instead of using them on gift cards lol

sainraja

well yeah a lot of people used it at the beginning, but a lot of those people converted to full subs after the trial was over and have been paying full price since. I would certainly be paying full price if I didn't use the 3 year trick plus Microsoft Rewards/Ambassador being so easy to do. However the vast majority of people subscribing to any service are paying full price, only the type of people on this forum are the ones constantly looking for all the loopholes and hacks to pay less, most people don't view it as worth the effort, especially for only $10-15 per month
You might be right but I wouldn't underestimate people's will to get something for a good deal. The $1 dollar promo was one of those.

I converted a Gold sub to Game Pass Ultimate yesterday, for those asking if that is still possible.

Stopping the 1$ trial is not the same as pulling the conversion method, you just have to pay a month to a convert it now, or grab a 7 day code off somewhere like Gamivo, Eneba, etc, etc.

When they stop the conversation trick, THAT will be the real kick in the balls.
The conversation option will likely not stop. They need to pull people into Game Pass who are still paying for gold. How much money does conversion save you vs if you were just paying monthly? Isn't it just a few bucks less? It is almost like a bundle discount, no?

Last edited:
You might be right but I wouldn't underestimate people's will to get something for a good deal. The $1 dollar promo was one of those.
for sure, maybe I'm just over optimistic (or pessimistic depending on the perspective), I just don't think as many people were taking advantage of the deal that it would make a massive difference, considering it would take a commitment of stacking 2-3 years of Gold all at once, which sadly isn't something a lot of people can afford, or at least not something people are generally willing to do when compared to $15/month even if it's more expensive in the long run, cheaper in the short run

Banjo64

cumsessed
All the talk re: MS points and Ultimate, personally I find the rate poor. When you can do the region switched Gold stacking, as pointed out by adamsapple adamsapple , for as little as £80 for 3 years, I just use my MS points for hardware instead.

Top Bottom