• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Patents Console Wide "Demon's Souls-esque" Game Help System

DeBurgo

Mr YuYu said:
:-/ Sounds a lot less interesting this way. I was hoping this would be accesed by clicking the guidebutton. Basicaly allowing you acces to a gamefaq(ish) sort of database for the game you are playing.
No your conception of it is correct, according to the patent diagram posted with the article that seems to be roughly how it works.

Or maybe it's the mix of the two, I dunno, I can't tell.

YoungHav

Banned
So how long has Demon's Souls been in development? Who copied who?
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
Does this mean that From Software won't be allowed to implement the system in the follow up to Demons' Souls?
:lol

-COOLIO- said:
you shouldn't be able to patent shit like this.
I'm a little confused as to why companies bother patenting things like this. Sure I'm no expert on patents, but considering the subject matter would it not be relatively easy for Sony or Nintendo to implement a very similar system with some subtle differences?

sankao

I'm a little confused as to why companies bother patenting things like this. Sure I'm no expert on patents, but considering the subject matter would it not be relatively easy for Sony or Nintendo to implement a very similar system with some subtle differences?

They are probably more concerned about protecting themselves from patent trolls than actually preventing serious competition.

YoungHav

Banned
Ok, if this does go through, how will it affect Demon's Souls? Because if it affects it adversely and they're not allowed to use their own system in future games I will fanboy end Microsoft.

Does this mean that From Software won't be allowed to implement the system in the follow up to Demons' Souls?

Yes they can.

The MS patent is just for a system wide help authoring system. Individual games can still do whatever they want ofc.

I guess this makes sense.. most of us already use a help system from time to time (it is called The Internet) and a more integrated and robust system would be rather helpful for casuals and hardcore alike. Now the Internet generates too much garbage anyway... searching for WoW boss tactics for example will probably give you a list that is 80% Gold sellers.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Ugh retarded.

Im patenting system wide man berry shots, it allows players to send pictures of their testicles to other players when they have been killed by them more than 10 times.

legend166

YoungHav said:
Ok, if this does go through, how will it affect Demon's Souls? Because if it affects it adversely and they're not allowed to use their own system in future games I will fanboy end Microsoft.

They've already done it and sold it. Microsoft can't patent it after the fact and then stop them from doing it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Gorgon said:
Use patents on the next enemy.
6hhzs3.jpg

Afrikan

NinjaFusion said:
A web browser would be.... nice?

didn't Sony add some helping tool a couple of updates ago....where you can pause and search online for help with something related to the game you were playing...

I think it is something like that....I haven't tried to use it yet.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Just imagine what 4chan and somethingawful dudes would be able to do to the biggest games with this feature.

So, in general, do people really rely on FAQs and walkthroughs that much these days? For myself, I'd rather not even play if I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do in any given game on my own.

goomba

Banned
Screw these patent laws, especially when its Microsoft who built their empire copying other companies products and continue to do so.

jaypah

damn, there's a lot of irrational hate in here. it's not that serious people. Sega had a patent on the way that the camera changes when you select different views in racing games.... people immediately found simple ways around it. if something that easy can be easily circumvented then i don't see this stopping other companies from using similar concepts. also, M$ are teh EVIL!

TheFallen

It's a little silly to think this patent would affect future Demon's Souls games or stop any competition from doing something similar.

Also, some of you fail for not understanding the Demon's Souls hint replies.

JudgeN

Can't wait for the hundreds of Sony threads about why the PS3 doesn't have this system and how Sony is lazy for not getting this feature/catching up to xbox live. We should have an official Microsoft has a patent on "this" thread :lol

duckroll

JudgeN said:
Can't wait for the hundreds of Sony threads about why the PS3 doesn't have this system and how Sony is lazy for not getting this feature/catching up to xbox live. We should have an official Microsoft has a patent on "this" thread :lol

Beware of the floor ahead.

Mashing

Companies like Prima have to be quaking in their boots at this turn of events. If/when one of the console manufacturers actually figure out a way to get Gamefaq level guides integrated into the console interface, then they are going to be losing a lot of business.

Microsoft really gets it when it comes to the value of making things universal and consistent. The competition STILL isn't consistent when it comes to stuff like chat and invites, and they've had YEARS to get their shit together.

I'm pretty sure this patent is for a very specific set of instructions/GUI just like Nintendo's tutorial guidance system. It shouldn't interfere with another company's help system. GAF needs to hibernate for a while.

Durante

shuri said:
Beware of false messages
Indeed. I think the fact that you couldn't tell if a message was actually true (unless it was rated at 50+, but I encountered very few of those) was part of the charm in DS.

Oh, and software patents suck and I'm happy we don't have them here (yet).

Ranger X

This is a very nice feature but to patent such things is completely ridiculous.

The patents and copyrights system here in America is completely stupid and outdated. :(

Kafel

Banned
Microsoft has been working on a system that’s part Super Guide and part Demon’s Souls for well over a year

Since it's a meta thing they worked on for some time now and it will benefit from what the Xbox Live has to offer I see nothing wrong in patenting something like this.

Top Bottom