• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q2 beats expectations: Net Income of $6.3 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condom

Office 365 seems like such a ripoff when Google and Apple's respective suites are free. I know, Office has extra bells and whistles but fuck...

'Extra bells and whistles' lmao, Office is GOAT. Nothing comes even close.

Besides, you probably need Office to either do your job or get a degree. If something that essential is not worth paying for then I don't even know what is.

gamz

only thing that bothers me is mailbox archiving

We use proofpoint, but honestly each user has 50GB of space. That'd absurd amount of space for email.

Proofpoint just stores the email on the fly. Also, updates! No more installing or uninstalling another ver of office.

Majine

Banned

Besides, you probably need Office to either do your job or get a degree. If something that essential is not worth paying for then I don't even know what is.

Personally, I don't. I just want a basic suite that syncs my content in the cloud and can be accessed and edited on any device. Microsoft does not offer that for free.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Personally, I don't. I just want a basic suite that syncs my content in the cloud and can be accessed and edited on any device. Microsoft does not offer that for free.

They don't? What have I been using on onedrive?

Hilbert

Onedrive has editing tools? I thought it was just a storage service.

When opening Word it harasses me to resubscribe to unlock my documents.

What happens when you go to Onedrive, select new and choose Word Document? I get a web version of word, and I certainly never paid for office 365.

dLMN8R

What happens when you go to Onedrive, select new and choose Word Document? I get a web version of word, and I certainly never paid for office 365.

Office.com has been around for years and is 100% free. And it's better than free Google Docs in many ways too. Especially in how it doesn't utterly demolish all the formatting like gdocs does.

Hilbert

Office.com has been around for years and is 100% free. And it's better than free Google Docs in many ways too. Especially in how it doesn't utterly demolish all the formatting like gdocs does.

Well, there you go! I didn't know it was all wrapped up in one site, pretty nice.

But it also kind of show just how bad MS has been at getting the word out.

dLMN8R

Well, there you go! I didn't know it was all wrapped up in one site, pretty nice.

But it also kind of show just how bad MS has been at getting the word out.

I mean, it has tens if not hundreds of millions of users. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean no one else does.

Hilbert

I mean, it has tens if not hundreds of millions of users. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean no one else does.

yea, I guess that's true. Just a little bitter because I am a big fan of onedrive and office online.

Majine

Banned
That is news to me, and it kind of blows my mind that this model exists around Office 365 and despite being a Windows user, they never told me.

M3d10n

I hope Windows Phone doesn't die. I like my phones cheap (so no Apple for me) and cheap Android phones is a minefield. Plus the whole wild-west app lifecycle and permissions that really puts me off.

gamz

its getting very hard to argue against office 365. we just dont move cause on prem exchange 2010 just continues doing its thing.

The best thing about it is your user base can install it on any five devices. That blew my users minds that they can now install it on their personal home PC or phones.

gamz

That is news to me, and it kind of blows my mind that this model exists around Office 365 and despite being a Windows user, they never told me.

They actually created online office apps in the Chrome store for Chrome OS.

n64coder

Office 365 seems like such a ripoff when Google and Apple's respective suites are free. I know, Office has extra bells and whistles but fuck...

If you have an Office 365 Home subscription, the retail price is $99 for 5 users per year. Each user can install it on their tablet/computer/phone and they also get 1TB of OneDrive storage each. That's a steal.

Essentially Office 365 is free and you're paying $20/year/user for 1TB of cloud storage.

When you look at it that way, Google's/Apple's is a ripoff.

The Flash

Banned
tumblr_nhrmdfsyuG1ruw1vso9_500.0.gif

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The app store has been garbage since day 1.

Unless something radically changes, it will be a long time before WP is competitive.

Their OS is nowhere near iOS/Android too. Literally don't see any advantage to using a WP phone.

But yea, the Surface and Office365 stuff is amazing. Win10 has also been an awesome update.

I recently got an Android phone after being on Windows Phone for a few years and I gotta disagree with this, WP OS is much better than Android. I really miss it, i'll likely switch back at some point.

I really want a Surface Pro. Maybe next year year.

Edit:

Yup. Google docs might be enough for high school. At the professional level, you're dead in the water without MS Office.

Maxim726X

Microsoft is doing a great job, even if their smart phones aren't doing well.

Once their app store is situated, they will have something great on their hands.

Their latest lineup of Lumia phones is pretty great, especially for the price, but I'm afraid that Microsoft if trying to keep them cheap for the general consumer. It's great on one hand, but what really gets a company name out is through making boutique products.

I want them to make some kind of obscure Lumia to make a statement that they are capable of much more in the mobile space.

How many years have we been waiting for the MS app store to gain its footing? Probably not happening at this point.

Maximo

Keep improving on the Surface Line Microsoft your doing a good job, almost enough to make me buy one, maybe the Surface Book 2.

dLMN8R

I recently got an Android phone after being on Windows Phone for a few years and I gotta disagree with this, WP OS is much better than Android. I really miss it, i'll likely switch back at some point.

<disclaimer: Microsoft employee alert, but still my opinions are my own>

My phone history is iPhone 3G --> 3GS --> Samsung Focus --> Lumia 920 --> Lumia 830 --> iPhone 6S Plus

Honestly, I miss so much about Windows Phone.

• The Start Screen is still the best launcher of any mobile OS. The most customizable and personable around.
  • Live Tiles are still better than even Notification Center widgets IMO. Even if they're not as powerful, they're so much easier to see and access
  • Folder support is so much better on Windows Phone
  • The Windows Phone keyboard is still hands-down the best out there. I know Microsoft is making a keyboard for iOS, but no matter how good it is it'll still be limited because iOS's support for 3rd party keyboards is still fucking terrible
  • I like Windows Phone's implementation of Action Center much more than iOS's Notification Center / Control Center split
  • I can add music to it by simply dragging and dropping
  • I seriously miss Glance. Especially the notifications on Glance
  • Expandable storage via Micro SD instead of paying a shitload of money on a higher-end iPhone
  • Wireless charging is super nice, especially for car mounts
  • The iPhone 6S Plus's camera is incredible, don't get me wrong, but my wife's 950 XL usually takes better pictures. Especially in low light
  • Now that Windows 10 is going across both desktop and mobile, I'm sad I don't have messaging integration and such with Cortana with my iPhone.
  • Contact handling is better in Windows Phone, even in Windows 10. The way contacts are merged between different sources is just brilliant and elegant.

Most apps are much better on iOS, obviously. They're updated much more frequently on iOS, if they even exist at all in the first place on Windows Phone. But I honestly miss so much about the OS and general hardware platform that I could see myself switching back within a year, as long as the app situation gets better (even if just slightly).

In my day-to-day, I don't really use many apps. Twitter, Feedly, MyFitnessPal, Facebook/Messenger, email, music, Reddit, Amazon, Microsoft Health (for MS Band), Podcasts, OneDrive, Office, and that's about it. Everything else I use pretty rarely, if at all. All of those have good-to-excellent apps on Windows Phone. For those which don't have Windows Phone apps, in my experience their mobile sites almost always work.

Hopefully with the universal app platform and 200M+ people on the desktop, it helps convince more developers to create universal apps which also happen to run on phone. Maybe not a huge amount, but hopefully enough to stem the bleeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom