• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says Nintendo had nothing to do with Xbox emulator crackdown

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
SbJkJ6zEY9SQpWdFgAnDfJ-1200-80.jpg.webp

After Microsoft began taking action against emulators being run on Xbox consoles, a statement shared on Twitter attributed to a member of the Xbox QA team suggested that the action was being taken due to "legal issues with Nintendo." Now, an official Microsoft statement suggests that's not the case.

"The information currently circulating on Twitter is not accurate," Microsoft tells IGN. "Our actions are based on a long standing policy on content distributed to the Store to ensure alignment with our Microsoft Store Polices [sic]. Per 10.13.10, Products that emulate a game system or game platform are not allowed on any device family."

I'm not surprised this happened. I love emulation but there's a pretty grey area where the roms are concerned. Anyways at least we will always have PC and retroemulation systems.

Banned
The Ninjas are now after you.

I don't think so tbh. all other apps are wiped, it seems like this specific upload slipped through the cracks.

it's a few months old and was only online for a few hours before being taken down back then. I remember that because I told a friend that a new update is out but he was too slow and it was already gone from the store.

so maybe, that extremely fast takedown somehow also wiped it from their database 🤔

Fredrik

Just checked, none of the Retroarch apps I had works anymore. What a shame, it was perfect to have new and old games on the same box.

Foilz

Banned
Just use an Anbernic device. I was playing GameCube games on my anbernic 405m while laying in bed last night. They work great

Fredrik

Just use an Anbernic device. I was playing GameCube games on my anbernic 405m while laying in bed last night. They work great
I want a home console plugged into the TV which plays both new and old games. There is none now. XSX with Retroarch in retail mode was perfect, old favorites was just a couple button presses away, could even record videos and take screenshots the usual way.

keefged4

I want a home console plugged into the TV which plays both new and old games. There is none now. XSX with Retroarch in retail mode was perfect, old favorites was just a couple button presses away, could even record videos and take screenshots the usual way.
*cough* Steam Deck says hi

Drew1440

The Nvidia shield comes close as its capable of running most Android emulators, but is mostly limited to PSX/N61, maybe DC depending on the game.
There's noting really stopping you from building your own console, an Intel NUC with SteamOS or any Linux distro paired with Retroarch and your favorite controller can go a long way.

Reactions: GHG

Fredrik

I have a Steam Deck but I don’t use it for emulation or for new games played on the TV, so it would just be another device that has to be plugged into another HDMI port, could just as well start using a Raspberry Pi again.

I’m just cranky right now. I’ll get over it but MS just made their console less appealing that’s for sure. And I was 3 pickups from a 100% run on Super Metroid with the kids so thanks for ruining that MS.

Last edited:

Impotaku

If people are looking at someone to blame look in the mirror, for all the people posting online and creating threads about it just shone more light onto it as it gained attention. It's the same with those stupid fucks that post trailers for fan projects before they are completed & released and act all surprised aabout it when whoever you were borrowing the ip from clamp down hard & force you to abandon it.

Klosshufvud

I have a Steam Deck but I don’t use it for emulation or for new games played on the TV, so it would just be another device that has to be plugged into another HDMI port, could just as well start using a Raspberry Pie again.

I’m just cranky right now. I’ll get over it but MS just made their console less appealing that’s for sure. And I was 3 pickups from a 100% run on Super Metroid with the kids so thanks for ruining that MS.
I feel you. I bought Series S as means to play Mario Kart and Tekken Tag with friends. Now...gone. I have no use for this console anymore. It was the perfect retro box. So much potential wasted.

mrcroket

I love my steamdeck but play new games on tv with it is a pretty shitty experience unless you are okay with a 720p low/mid quality and 30 fps, for indies or old games it works great though.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

keefged4

I love my steamdeck but play new games on tv with it is a pretty shitty experience unless you are okay with a 720p low/mid quality and 30 fps, for indies or old games it works great though.
Emulation via tv is an awesome experience. I've mostly used mine for emulation if I'm being honest, 1440p Gamecube /Wii and PS2 is easily doable docked.

PaintTinJr

Sure MS. It's not like Nintendo Ninja weren't the primary reason for this.
Explosion Fireworks GIF by Xbox
I suspect we are at the point where highly technical people that worked on OG XB (and 360) are beyond their NDA - maybe 20years-25years - and Series or SteamDeck through Retroarch being able to emulate OG XB and 360 eats a lot of gamepass and some of series selling points if that technical knowledge makes OGXB/360 emulation as mainstream as GC/Wii dolphin.

Microsoft trying to stop that, while turning a blind eye to PlayStation and Nintendo emulation - that might be piracy - on their console would be a double standard.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The Nvidia shield comes close as its capable of running most Android emulators, but is mostly limited to PSX/N61, maybe DC depending on the game.
There's noting really stopping you from building your own console, an Intel NUC with SteamOS or any Linux distro paired with Retroarch and your favorite controller can go a long way.
I don’t want my own console, I want the console I’m already using for new games to run games for old consoles as well.
Wii was the best one for awhile, I had 100s of VC games, even C64 games I played with arcade stick for the joystick awesomeness. Then they tricked me to move the licenses to WiiU. Then they killed WiiU and dropped VC on Switch. Sigh.

Any idea if Valve will do the same with the deck, shit I just got into emulation on it and its flarking awesome having my ps2 games essentially remastered at 1080p/60fps to play.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Any idea if Valve will do the same with the deck, shit I just got into emulation on it and its flarking awesome having my ps2 games essentially remastered at 1080p/60fps to play.
Steam Deck is an actual PC. Valve can't do shit about what software you're running on it. Doesn't matter regardless because Valve allows RetroArch even on the official Steam store.

Kliptik81

Neo Member
The only problem I have with this is them deactivating something that was already acquired.Some real shady stuff.
C'mon now, its not shady at all. As much as I am disappointed that I can't play pirated games on my Xbox (lets be honest, none of us are playing legal backups). Microsoft is 100% right, since these emulators were released by a loophole. They simply said they don't support that way of distribution on their storefront.

I really doubt they'll remove the Dev mode version, so its still an option.

There’s no way Microsoft didn’t realize these apps existed, no they were fine to have them until someone realized they could remove them and push people into giving them money to keep them with developer mode.

Teletraan1

Banned
This is why consoles suck. They can pull the rug out from under you at any time. Their so called policy isn't even consistent since a lot of those official game collections from other consoles run an emulator. The assumption that you are doing something illegal is fucked from a customer service perspective.

Kilau

They’ve been pulling them off the store from the beginning, they just got tired of the cat and mouse approach.

Nintendo when asked about emulators on Xbox:

I Dont Know Her Mariah Carey GIF by MOODMAN

GHG

Build a HTPC. Dependant on what you intend to emulate, In most cases you really don't need that much power.

It's a Linux PC, nothing can or will be done.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Microsoft doesn't want flack from publishers or the ESA about illegal emulation on their shiny box.

Just pay the $20 and install Retroarch in dev mode.
I already have dev mode, needs to restart the console if you want to play a new game, becomes annoying fast.

Why are they doing this now though? Could’ve just kept looking the other way like they do on PC.

There is so much I hate about how retro gaming is handled by the big 3. I already have 3 consoles to play new games. Am I supposed to have 10+ other consoles plugged in to play old games too just because I still like the games that came before this shitty generation started?

There is literally no convenient all in one solution unless you’re on PC. Maybe I should build a secondary $5k PC just for the living room? I bet Nvidia would be happy at least.

Esppiral

Dev mode is still Available, yes it costs 20€ but it is well worth it I've moved all my emulators to dev mode, it only implies rebooting the console to boot the emulators.

GHG

Why are they doing this now though? Could’ve just kept looking the other way like they do on PC.

Xenia just released for the series consoles. That enabled people to start emulating 360 games that they still sell on the store (along with a whole host of 3rd party games).

It's no coincidence.

There is literally no convenient all in one solution unless you’re on PC. Maybe I should build a secondary $5k PC just for the living room? I bet Nvidia would be happy at least.

For emulation it doesn't need to be 5k, not even close. If all I was doing my old 2070 super would have been fine.

Last edited:

Kilau

Build a HTPC. Dependant on what you intend to emulate, In most cases you really don't need that much power.
Thinking about the Mac mini, supposed to be good for emulating and also as a new Plex server.

GHG

The fact they can easily disable already downloaded and installed app and render them useless is mind-boggling to me.

If someone takes their console offline upon hearing this news provided they haven't booted it up since the emulators being disabled would it still work?

Fredrik

For emulation it doesn't need to be 5k, not even close. If all I was doing my old 2070 super would have been fine.
I get that but I want one device for both new and old games, that’s why I used XSX, so then I would need something more beastly to run it all.
If I invested properly I could get rid of my XSX though, don’t think there are many Xbox-only games nowdays.

GHG

If I invested properly I could get rid of my XSX though, don’t think there are many Xbox-only games nowdays.

There aren't. Now that I have xenia up and running on both my steam deck and PCs there's not a single game, new or old, that I would need an xbox in order to access. Got lost odyssey, blue dragon, pgr4, the darkness, forza horizon 1, etc all run really well. Same goes for all the games exiled to be stuck on other older consoles from Sony and Nintendo.

The Series X is basically a 2080 super PC so don't think you'd need something all that beastly by modern standards provided the GPU has enough VRAM to sustain it throughout the generation if you also want to play new releases on the same system. For newer games it's the VRAM situation that makes things complicated from a price perspective.

If you're happy to just use the 4090 PC you have to play the newer stuff then the power requirements really drop dramatically for anything that's going to be focused on just emulating plus the odd older/indie game.

But would the Xbox work? 😏

Good question, no idea to be honest.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The fact they can easily disable already downloaded and installed app and render them useless is mind-boggling to me.
It was a good reminder that we really have no control. Can’t confirm for sure if it’s related but I know I recorded some boss fights and can’t find any videos now. Could they go in and wipe any Retroarch app related content?

Top Bottom