• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says Nintendo had nothing to do with Xbox emulator crackdown

coffinbirth

Oh Microsoft, didn't you have heard of the tale of the PS3 Linux distro that was removed, which led to the console being hacked to get the functionality back? You just made the interest on hacking your console go through the roof.
Extreme false equivalency that I keep hearing social media retards parroting over and over.
This was never officially supported or promoted by Microsoft, unlike OtherOS on PS3.

You can still play all of these emulators on Xbox via Dev Mode. No need to hack it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh Microsoft, didn't you have heard of the tale of the PS3 Linux distro that was removed, which led to the console being hacked to get the functionality back? You just made the interest on hacking your console go through the roof.

I mean, not really .. most people were already using dev mode for this. The retail functionality was a lot more recent by comparison and was always seen as a loophole / exploit, as even before this, MS would take the emulators off the UWP store. They just didn't outright block them before.

DaGwaphics

I just find John is shit stirring myself. You don't own Retroarch because you don't buy it or pay for it and if one cares about emu so much despite apparently owning all the old consoles and having them set up to a CRT

Just buy a Series S and have it permanently set to development mode, while gaming on the Series X.

Totally. I don't see why a Series S is so important in building an emulation box. You can probably build a little box to run Lakka just as well for $300.

Totally. I don't see why a Series S is so important in building an emulation box. You can probably build a little box to run Lakka just as well for $300.
Its a lovely little system that I can take anywhere and it can also still play modern games and ace for emu, for the price, you also get a nice joypad too.
I got mine for less than £200

Kliptik81

Neo Member
To deactivate a program that I already downloaded is shady, I can't even imagine the shitstorm they'd have if people had bought some of this stuff. I understand delisting but to straight up stop something from function that was already there, dirty pool.
Now I don't see it that way. First, you installed the program through a "shady" way. I am disappointed that its been disabled (because honestly, I like free games) but I am 100% ok with Microsoft's choice.

coffinbirth

That seems pretty optimistic.
Most of the equivalent build videos out there that actually match specs put it at around $500.

For $250 +$20 for Dev mode you get a plug and play device and a controller that can emulate Xbox 360 at full speed...that's pretty damn hard to beat, still 2+ years later.

For anyone that wants emulation beyond what the Series S is capable of, such as Yuzu, you're looking at a pretty expensive build in comparison.

Personally, I have a pretty beefy rig for such things, but it was nice to be able to hop from Forza Horizon 5 to Cosmic Smash to Hi-Fi-Rush to Metroid; Zero Mission all pretty seamlessly, so not having that bit of convenience does take a bit of luster from the Xbox emulation shine, but having it left in Dev Mode as a secondary device is still an enticing proposition for many, I'm sure.

Soltype

Now I don't see it that way. First, you installed the program through a "shady" way. I am disappointed that its been disabled (because honestly, I like free games) but I am 100% ok with Microsoft's choice.
All the apps I used, I got from their store.

RainblowDash

Gold Member
I haven’t used my Xbox S is over a year, so I should be good to install emulators as long as I not update the system software itself right?

Looking the other way for so long was a dick move anyway, basically leeching off the successes of other retired plattforms. I applaud their efforts in having backwards compatibility for their own stuff as best they could but being an easy emulation plattform for almost everything was known for rather long and they clearly ignored their own policy for some cheap sales.

Klosshufvud

Looking the other way for so long was a dick move anyway, basically leeching off the successes of other retired plattforms. I applaud their efforts in having backwards compatibility for their own stuff as best they could but being an easy emulation plattform for almost everything was known for rather long and they clearly ignored their own policy for some cheap sales.
Yeah and the coincidence with Xenia emulation going active just before they nuked emulation...Makes one really think...

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Well, that got real weird real quick…
I searched DuckDuckGo for Alyanna McKenna the twitter OP of the “Xbox email” as their twitter account has been deleted…

N.B. There is no malicious intent or ulterior motive for posting this.

Last edited:

Kliptik81

Neo Member
All the apps I used, I got from their store.
Through a loophole in the store. None of those were approved by Microsoft.

Its the equivalent of "buying" a Milwaukee drill from an employee in the Home Depot parking lot. Sure you "bought" it at Home Depot, but they didn't approve of the sale.

Quit whining, you know you're wrong, no matter how hard you try to justify it.

Soltype

Through a loophole in the store. None of those were approved by Microsoft.

Its the equivalent of "buying" a Milwaukee drill from an employee in the Home Depot parking lot. Sure you "bought" it at Home Depot, but they didn't approve of the sale.

Quit whining, you know you're wrong, no matter how hard you try to justify it.
No it's actually more akin to a home Depot employee price correcting a Milwaukee drill for free at the point of sale. Once something has made it past the point of sale to the customer and they're out the door so to speak ,you have no right to take anything back. Any grievances you have, should be with the employee that didn't catch the mistake or made it. imagine buying something physical that was priced incorrectly, you get it home and are using it , then a company disables the use because you weren't supposed to have it under that price or circumstance, that's insane. Like I said before, it sets bad precedent and the only reason they did it, is because they could , because it's a digital product.

Top Bottom