• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft stands firm on "no DS development" line

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=3947

Tom Bramwell 13:29 10/08/2004

"At this time, there are no plans to support the DS."

Microsoft has restated that none of its studios are involved in developing games for the Nintendo DS, after members of Rare's Game Boy Advance development team rekindled speculation that they were considering projects for the handheld.

In a Q&A session with Rare fans, published on the developer's official website sometime in July and unearthed just recently, an unnamed designer on the GBA team responded to a question about the possibility of N64 ports - like first-person shooter Perfect Dark - appearing on the Nintendo DS.

"Sounds cool, but we're not doing any DS games, are we?" he noted, before adding, "Or are we? Or... are we?" [His emphasis.] However, Microsoft has swiftly confirmed that the statement it made at the end of May concerning DS development still stands.

"Microsoft and its studios are focusing all efforts on developing quality games for the Windows and Xbox platforms," the platform holder said at the time. "Neither Microsoft Game Studios or any of its developers are involved in developing games for DS at this time. Rare has developed, and is continuing to develop, Game Boy Advance games. At this time, there are no plans to support the DS."

That response was originally issued after a report surfaced on a US Nintendo fan site suggesting that senior Microsoft executive Ken Lobb had confirmed that Rare was working on the DS platform, and specifically had development kits and two titles already underway.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Makes sense to me. Rare's Handheld games are the only thing making them money. We all know making money is not part of MS gaming plans.

Shiggy

But I don't understand, why Ken Lobb said, that they'll develop for the DS...

Maybe Microsoft doesn't know anything about that XD

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
open_mouth_ said:
Microsoft will back the PSP, instead :)

Highly unlikely. Microsoft's main goal is to oust Sony. Supporting the PSP would only help them gain an even greater foothold in the industry. If they are going to support any portables it will be Nintendo's. And even then it won't be anything original. It will just be ports of the N64 Rare games so they can make a quick buck.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Why would anyone want M$ content on the DS or any portable for that matter?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
why should MS develop for DS or PSP in the first place? That wouldn't make any sense.

Kon Tiki

Banned
TTP said:
why should MS develop for DS or PSP in the first place? That wouldn't make any sense.

Microsoft has restated that none of its studios are involved in developing games for the Nintendo DS, after members of Rare's Game Boy Advance development team rekindled speculation that they were considering projects for the handheld.

One of thier studios is RARE, which if you even cared to read the article you would know that RARE hinted at DS development in an interview and at E3.

jarrod

Banned
"At this time..."? So really it's just a matter of time. ;)

Wonder if Rare will grow their 10 man GBA team for DS development?

jedimike

There's no need for MS to rush into DS development. I'm sure that in time, if DS has profitable prospects, MS will assign a RARE team for it.

AirBrian

jedimike said:
There's no need for Nintendo to rush into online development. I'm sure that in time, if online has profitable prospects, Nintendo will assign a team for it.
Huh? How'd that get in there?

I kid, I kid, jedimike. :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Society said:
One of thier studios is RARE, which if you even cared to read the article you would know that RARE hinted at DS development in an interview and at E3.

Oh, so that confirms they are developing for DS to you?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
What is *your* problem man, not mine.

I was just wondering why Microsoft should ever develop games for DS ('cos I don't see any sense doing so for them).

You replyed with a hint. I said that doesn't confirm shit.

You reply again with the assumption that MS denying it actually confirms it.

Believe what you want to believe man. I just didn't say they wont. I just asked [loop back to my first post and feel free to answer my original question if you wish.]

Kon Tiki

Banned
TTP said:
What is *your* problem man, not mine.

I was just wondering why Microsoft would ever develop games for DS ('cos I don't see any sense doing so for them).

You replyed with a hint. I said that doesn't confirm shit.

You reply again with the assumption that MS denying it actually confirms it.

Believe what you wont to believe man. I just didn't say they wont. I just asked [loop back to my first post and feel free to answer my original question if you wish.]

If Ken Lobb says they are, then they are. The guy cannot keep his mouth shut on secrets.

I am solely talking about RARE, not MS themselves.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ok, I'll put my question in different words 'cos it seems you like to read it the wrong way (my bad really. My english is not that good).

Does it makes sense for MS to pay royalties to Nintendo?

(it's just a simple question. Don't read to much in it)

wazoo

TTP said:
Ok, I'll put my question in different words 'cos it seems you like to read it the wrong way (my bad really. My english is not that good).

If they make more money than they royalties. Why not ??

It is not if MS developments on Ds will change the console wars.

Kon Tiki

Banned
TTP said:

Is that stopping them(Rare) from making gba now?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ok, nm. It was just my misunderstanging of Rare's relationship with MS. I was under the impressions everything they do had to be published by MS. Looking at their website, it doesn't looks so. So they are actually more like a wholly owned 2nd party to MS aren't they?

jarrod

Banned
Keeping the handheld team going was a stipulation of the Rare buyout, and until Microsoft enters the market with a handheld of their own, it makes sense for Rare to continue on Nintendo platforms considering their close relationship. I think we'll not only see DS support from Rare in the coming years but also quite a few more GBA announcements.

It's worth noting that most companies don't seem to have a problem seperating the handheld and con sole markets. For example, Sega licensed out Sakura Taisen for GBC back when they were still a hardware provider, gave Neo Geo Pocket Color a few games and Sonic Team was planning full GBA support well before Sega made it's 3rd party plans....

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
jenov4 said:
Damn I was looking forward to Solitaire on the DS.

It's coming via Telegames. Here is their lineup for the DS.

Telegames, Inc.
? Ultimate Brain Games
? Ultimate Card Games (its a safe bet that solitaire is included)
? Ultimate Pocket Games

we still have a few games from RARE for GBA, if those do well i am sure RARE will continue to make GBA or DS games.. MS seems to have no problem supporting other peoples handhelds (at least nintendo's).. RARE has released a couple games so far and has plans for more, and munch's odyseey and some truck racing game from MS were both on GBA too.

anyone else really looking forward to banjo pilot, btw? i am. sabrewulf was awesome.

jedimike

AirBrian said:
Huh? How'd that get in there?

I kid, I kid, jedimike. :)

haha... good one. Of course, MS alienating the DS doesn't hurt their image one bit. Nintendo alienating online is a different story.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
pussies.

Too bad, because Blast Corps DS could've been a hoot.

Top Bottom