• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

Gorillaz

This is so fucking disappointing. Picking up a franchise that has become the epitome of running your course, and putting fresh talent to grind on it instead of making a new IP that was one of the highlights and commitments from MS at E3 going forward.
iXu7MWo1KbMt.gif

RIP in peace

viveks86

It's exactly like the Titanfall locked exclusive announcement

I have to imagine this deal was also finalized recently and may have even started being truly negotiated after last E3 which would be crazy but seems that way.

There was no big enough event to truly announce it at so they just let it go or perhaps to boost XB1 sales in the slow part of the year?

My point is, why bother announcing at all? They could have waited till E3 to make a big reveal. The game clearly isn't out this year, or even 2015 (Rod coming on board just now suggests that it's very early stages). Is that what MS would do to boost short term slump in sales? I doubt it

EDIT: The potential "leak" seems like a valid theory. Hmmm

Gears and God of War need to be put to sleep. I'm not sure these two franchises can be milked that much more. But that's just my personal opinion. I'll likely buy and play both the new sequels for that next gen goodness, but Judgement and Ascension just did not have nearly the same impact.
I'm part of the problem too. I will buy the sequels to both franchises day one, but in my heart I know that they have probably run their courses, and need to move on. I'm eager to see what will become the next big thing on both consoles this gen.

2San

I am more excited about what Epic might produce. Black Tusk will have to prove it to me before I will even think about Gears. I am not giving them the benefit of the doubt.
All the talent has left Epic anyway. I have more faith in a new studio doing Gears than Epic themselves. PCP can't handle Gears either.

I just hope that Black Tusk keeps the MP classic and makes sure that the main campaign is playable co-op and the game has a horde mode. They can experiment with the SP campaign.

-PXG-

All the talent has left Epic anyway. I have more faith in a new studio doing Gears than Epic themselves. PCP can't handle Gears either.

I just hope that Black Tusk keeps the MP classic and makes sure that the main campaign is playable co-op and the game has a horde mode. They can experiment with the SP campaign.

That's not true. Big wigs left but there are plenty of talented folks there.

My point is, why bother announcing at all? They could have waited till E3 to make a big reveal. The game clearly isn't out this year, or even 2015 (Rod coming on board just now suggests that it's very early stages). Is that what MS would do to boost short term slump in sales? I doubt it

EDIT: The potential "leak" seems like a valid theory. Hmmm

That's true. I imagine that there was some valid reason to announce it now. Might be strange to reveal at the 2014 E3 that what you revealed at the 2013 E3 as an upcoming game was cancelled *shrug*

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Well this move makes sense. I just wish that they had still let Black Tusk focus on a new IP and not Gears of War..bleh.

daman824

Why would they allow Black Tusk to go back to making a different IP? If it really cost them upwards of 100 million for the franchise name, they will need to churn out games to capitalize on that investment as much as possible.

Naughty Dog created a lot of Uncharted games. Imagine if Sony had spent 100 million acquiring the IP beforehand. Do you think The Last of Us would have happened?
They'll make their money back faster than you think.

PBY

Banned
That's true. I imagine that there was some valid reason to announce it now. Might be strange to reveal at the 2014 E3 that what you revealed at the 2013 E3 as an upcoming game was cancelled *shrug*

I wish I paid attention more in Mergers and Acquisitions and Corporations- Im not sure if they have to reveal acquisitions like this to investors? Either way I'm fairly certain that they couldn't have kept it quiet til e3 given upcoming investor calls.

2San

That's not true. Big wigs left but there are plenty of talented folks there.
Wouldn't know since they haven't released a game since Gears 3 afaik. Also someone at Epic designed the MP of Judgment, which was bigger joke than Gears 2 MP (even in it's initial broken state).

I wish I paid attention more in Mergers and Acquisitions and Corporations- Im not sure if they have to reveal acquisitions like this to investors? Either way I'm fairly certain that they couldn't have kept it quiet til e3 given upcoming investor calls.

You know what? Maybe MS was trying hard to finalize the deal for the January Yearly reports with shareholders but couldn't make the meeting. That would make sense to me to try and encourage shareholder confidence in the Xbox division

where else can you go with Gears, all I see is prequels and after Judgement they do nothing to progress the overall story. Why hang around telling stories about a war we already how it ends. Throughout the game when they try to make it out like the stakes are low and how it's their last chance to win this war you'll know that they win the end anyway.

It's different if Epic did a Halo 3 where they had a secret ending hinting that despite this "war" being over something else was coming. In Halo 3 Chief defeated the flood, saved the universe and won the war for Mankind, when he went to sleep at the end it was kind of Bungies way of letting him "rest"....for now and they hinted towards a new story before they left so when someone took over they had stuff to work with.

So even if they let Epic leave the franchise hanging around while they focus on other things at least then you wouldn't be making the games for the sake of it.

Obviously we don';t know where they are going to go with this but as I've said the only way they could go is a prequel and that's something I don't think many of us want to see...unless they find a very and I mean VERY smart way to push the series forward.

2San

100 million in investment towards rare might be better spent.
I doubt they spent that much and rare even in it's current state are able to create games that fits our tastes. It's just that MS isn't green-lighting them. So that would be 100 mil for more kinect games. Unless that's what you want.

Zezboob

...But remove stopping power. No one likes it
I like it :D

But if, and only if, the netcode is clean, I am not against removing it.

So they better keep it.

Anyway, the first step is to avoid to continue what Judgment has started. Somewhat what 343i should have done with Halo and forgetting about Reach...

Big-E

Kind of disappointing. MS hyped up all of those supposed new studios and the only thing we have to show for it is that the so called most promising one is just doing a Gears game. Can still be good but doesn't leave me excited at all. I would like to see some of the older Gears games on Steam but I have zero faith in MS doing anything on the PC anymore. I really don't like what MS is doing with their first party IP as they have set up two studios now that are only focused on dealing with other people's franchises.

Lakitu

st5fu
Such a shame, I was really interested to see what Black Tusk were up to. But it's yet another Gears of War title... bleh. Like the series (especially the original) but it's run it's course for me. Lost all interest in it.

zainetor

Banned
I don't get the hype over it. It was a generic "dude scaling a building" then a cliche CSI zoom into a gunshot cinematic. It was all bullshots as far as I can tell.

It looked more like a techdemo, than a concept of a game.
it didnt even have a name. Cboat said it looked good, but it's not saying much...

hal9001

Banned
Way to innovate the industry. All sides are resposible for milking franchises but Microsoft more so as they just seem more than happy to stick to their usual Halo/Gears image. At least with Sony you get a couple of new IPs once in a while.

I don't get the hype over it. It was a generic "dude scaling a building" then a cliche CSI zoom into a gunshot cinematic. It was all bullshots as far as I can tell.
Exactly. If it was some amazing new concept then I could understand the disappointment. But it wasn't. Instead its just my curiosity that's bummed.

Mask

Not entirely convinced this is a wise investment for them. GoW has been declining in quality, and the story is pretty much just prequel fodder, so unless they retcon the fuck out of the
story, they're stuck with making more Judgement's.

Unless Epic were in talks with Sony or something, they would have been better off spending this money on a price drop coinciding with Titanfall's release, then buying the Ip once their marketshare is bigger.

Yeezus

Can't wait for Marcus to get brought back from the dead somehow to fight something else with all his old pals. I hope they can find a way to breathe new life into the series without using cheap storytelling as a crutch.

clem84

Gold Member
Let's all look at the bight side. Epic are a talented bunch when it comes to technology and game design. They were the force behind Gears. Now they are free to work on a new IP.

I'm really skeptical about Black tusk. Even with the Gears franchise to base their work on, they'll have to prove to me they can deliver. But Epic is a sure thing. I personally think the Gears franchise has run its course so now Epic will use its resources to work on something new, instead of milking a franchise to death.

This just reminds me of Halo all over again. Microsoft gets a talented team that makes a fantastic game, then it pushed them to keep churning out that game until they saw no other option to negotiate an escape. Halo Reach was their final effort and even there they tried to brand it as it's own game (Reach on the title screen etc.) Then they go off and get back to making new stuff so Microsoft assembles a new team to make more Halo and the fans again are divided and keep asking for the old game or elements from the old game to come back. Now we are seeing this again with what happened with Judgement. People want the old game but that game is now several years old... diehards will love it and newcomers will play a bit and then leave it... if they buy it at all.
They will add progression and unlocks, and try to bring in the COD crowd just like Halo did. Because that is the mountain to climb right now... I would rather see someone come out with something fresh and different that is just plan more enticing than what Call of Duty has offered. Retreading the same ground is only going to cause the excitement and hype for the games to stagnate over time. Even in it's broken and bare bones state Dayz is the most exciting and fresh multiplayer experience I have had in years. I think console gamers deserve better than having franchises they love passed between studios to sell games off a name alone. I want a reason to be excited other than "Yes another one!!". /rant sorry about the book

Top Bottom