• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

oh man they really are going to do this shit

and they've already got their dogs out there trying to message this shit as somehow positive? Gettin' the fanboy orders in a row?

this is going to be the most delightful trainwreck in human history.

You cannot beat the Third Console Curse.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They are going to have to have an emergency conference or something ahead of E3. They are losing the PR battle, and might lose the war.

Their silence and patience is starting to cause problems, at least among I guess you could call it core gamers. I'm sure they were confident to eventually announce everything at a future date, but this is out of control and they should really try to set things back on track.

And if it IS online (spoiler: I think it will be) you should be pushing up an announcement to get people excited for something that IS always online. There's things MS and devs can do to make people interested in it, it is an interesting hook for a lot of really neat concepts - but people are focusing on everything but what you could announce or show, and that's going to put a lot of negativity on your announcement.

Sojgat

iZ4Xc7uzxvJUA.gif

So fucking good.

Pack it up, Microsoft. The no show for Durango and not even a tease followed up by developers not mentioning the existence of the console (and some even stating that MS have not contacted them at all); these tweets sparked up the fuel and there is no way they can kill the fire... at least not until they announce the console.

Even if this isn't true, it now is. That's how powerful the lack of information is.

I hope that gif gets plastered all over the web because that sums it up so amazingly.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So he just confirmed on twitter he was trolling. I'm guess that's going to get little news on GAF though. Continue everyone.

This has gone beyond simple trolling, he can not stop this, this will be the legacy of Sweet Billy now and forever.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Andddd there we go. Didn't take long to discredit positive news. And why exactly would he admit to trolling if he think what he said was true? No one will do that if those are their plans.

..............................................There is several other sources citing the same news. Some include devs.

Come on now Eagle, read the last 2500 posts :p

This has gone beyond simple trolling, he can not stop this, this will be the legacy of Sweet Billy now and forever.

I think this is a case of "he done fucked up." I'd still like a comment from Microsoft, as it feels like this might be real, but it's not a lock. We'll see here soon. Maybe at E3.

Because this would serve as a huge hype builder. This is somewhat nice PR.

Vamphuntr

Damn. I come back to this thread and it seems it has spread everywhere and that the guy was posting on GAF as Sweet Billy. Left the thread and it was close to 1800 posts and now it's close to 5000 :O

Pack it up, Microsoft. The no show for Durango and not even a tease followed up by developers not mentioning the existence of the console (and some even stating that MS have not contacted them at all); these tweets sparked up the fuel and there is no way they can kill the fire... at least not until they announce the console.

Even if this isn't true, it now is. That's how powerful the lack of information is.

I hope that gif gets plastered all over the web because that sums it up so amazingly.

This should be a wake up call for MS. But there are a frightening number of people shrugging the limitation off or going as far to defend and promote it.

At the end of the day many will say "Bring us the games and wipe away the debt."

Amir0x

Banned
You cannot beat the Third Console Curse.

I just think it's amazing. His twitter posts he might call trolling, but those were the posts of someone who was tired of hearing something be criticized when he knows his job is going to depend on it in the future. This was a wild defense of something he surely knows is going to be a battlefield in the the next generation. Call it "trolling" if he likes, but I think the smoke is starting to be a damn good indication of a fucking fire.

Takuya

Banned
Sadly it's too late. This will require an official response from MS otherwise the story will continue to gather pace.

Damage control, and besides, all those leaks/rumors and even devs posting implicit forum posts/tweets about it pretty much confirm this is most likely going to happen.

Foffy

Banned

I'm starting love Sterling. Ego and occasional troll attitudes when it comes to reviews aside, when it comes to journalism he's not full of himself or jaded. Makes Gies look like a clown, but that's not when Gies doesn't don the makeup himself.

ironcreed

Banned
They are going to have to have an emergency conference or something ahead of E3. They are losing the PR battle, and might lose the war.

Losing is putting it mildly. These rumors or 'leaks' have been steadily building like tremors on unstable ground before a violent eruption. After this and even another dev indirectly confirming it last night:

Explosion_mushroom_shaped.gif

The masses have spoken resoundingly.

VariantX

This should be a wake up call for MS. But there are a frightening number of people shrugging the limitation off or going as far to defend and promote it.

At the end of the day many will say "Bring us the games and wipe away the debt."

Worse that it could potentially set a precedent that could spread to other kinds of hardware. Its better to speak up now and say its not ok before we're waist deep in more potential DRM nonsense.

slider

Sadly it's too late. This will require an official response from MS otherwise the story will continue to gather pace.

Nothing follows that trajectory does it? I'd expect it will die down eventually. Especially without further comment/updates. Of course that'll only last until they confirm/deny during the unveiling.

Corran1138

Neo Member
I agree with the concept of things being "always on" as a good thing. I too want all my devices to be "always online." The thing I have a problem with is making the always on a requirement for the actual function of the device because then if the connection is interrupted I can't use my device AT ALL. Setting the Xbox to be OPTIMALLY functional when always connected is cool, but making it a big black brick when my internet goes out is just dumb. If you are Microsoft, listen to me. I WANT to be able to use my Xbox ALL THE TIME. I love playing Fallout and the various Elder Scrolls games and just puttering around in Keflings or Bejeweled is nice especially if the 'Net goes down and I can't play Halo or watch Netflix! The key is I spend A LOT of time using my Xbox right now. Bricking it when you don't have an Internet connection might give me *gasp* ideas about using my Xbox less. Is that something you REALLY want if you trying to make the Xbox the center of the living room experience?

Really try lisening to us on this MS. I've been a supporter of Xbox, Windows, Surface, etc. for years now. I think you guys are generally moving in awesome directions, but this "always on" is just a bad decision because you are (and this is the important part) MAKING DECISIONS FOR THE CUSTOMER. And customers in general don't like decisions being made for them. Give us choice.

Top Bottom