• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Lmao...they're actually doing it....oh god. Nice on him for confirming it though. Now I really don't need to worry about getting the next box. This guy just saved a lot of people a lot of money.

CLEEK

Offline mode to be locked behind the Live-paywall.

That you have to be signed into Live to access.

Maybe MS will F2P offline mode. 20 MS points for every extra minute over the 'free' 3 minutes you initially get. Just enter in your CC details, and it will start billing you until you next sign in again.

kevinski

Banned
People should keep in mind that Sony's been very careful to not talk about this whole always-online thing very much. If Microsoft actually goes through with this and ends up securing exclusive content from publishers who prefer this model, then expect Sony to cave and offer similar "security" to publishers who want it. Honestly, I don't think Sony's mind is completely made up about this. I feel that Sony would do this in a heartbeat if Microsoft was confirmed to be doing so, especially if it'd keep Sony from losing a valuable third-party partner.

Elixist

I'm holding out hope that he's just having a spot of fun at our expense.

im really thinking its this. why would this guy want to lose his job? unless he got the go ahead to poke fun. im thinking if there is always on crap or whatever it'll be like steam. first time boot of a game, checks net makes sure its legit, good 2 go even offline. if you always have to have the net to play a singleplayer game then im flabbergasted at their stupidity.

Meelow

Banned
Durango will at least have third party games.

Wii U is basically a gutted Gamecube that had all its interesting features removed (competitive hardware and third party support).

Wii U looks worse in my eyes.

Edit: Even comparing it to Gamecube is giving it too much credit.

Well actually if the Xbox 720 fails as a gamer's console and the game sales aren't that good than a Wii U version for multiplats are a much better possibility, especially if the hardware and game sales goes up.

Always on is not a bad thing. Does neogaf not understand this? Always on in itself is fine.

its using that always on feature as a mechanism for DRM that's the problem.

my cell phone is always online, my home server is always online, my laptop is always on.

its using it for DRM that causes problems.

Megasoum

Banned
People should keep in mind that Sony's been very careful to not talk about this whole always-online thing very much. If Microsoft actually goes through with this and ends up securing exclusive content from publishers who prefer this model, then expect Sony to cave and offer similar "security" to publishers who want it. Honestly, I don't think Sony's mind is completely made up about this. I feel that Sony would do this in a heartbeat if Microsoft was confirmed to be doing so, especially if it'd keep Sony from losing a valuable third-party partner.

I'm pretty sure Sony openly said after the conference the other day that the PS4 would not be always online and would support used games.

Guess Who

Banned
Adam Orth? Without reading 30 pages of thread, is this the same Adam Orth I know from his connections to Weezer? Please say yes.

EDIT: hahaha holy shit it is.

hitmon

Regardless, I think the Next XBox will sell well. The general public won't even notice until after they purchase it and their internet goes out while playing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
durango-xbox-next-codg25uj.png
Wow, I've never seen that before. I wish the best for him and his family.

Sponge

Banned
@Villain15 said:
I like playing Kinect with the family and friends. Also I play XBLA a lot. After 11/06/12, all Halo, only Halo.

All Halo, only Halo?

Even without Bungie? I just couldn't handle that, not even Nintendo can bank on Mario and only Mario.

Mrbob

Is the internet universally bad in Wisconsin? My girlfriend just moved there and has horrible internet.

Depends on where you live. I'm in the city so I'm fine. In fact, I have access to one of the better internet providers in the country (Charter Cable. Sucks for everything else but great at internet). I get 30Mbps, and could go up 60 if i wanted. But if you get outside the city limits there are a ton of dead zones where there is no broadband coverage at all.

I still don't see this happening. MS will let his run for a couple of weeks just to make their actual implementation more palatable (which I think will be an online check at game launch and game registration to Live ID a la Steam).

Eusis

I only feel as though requiring people have their Xbox connected to the Internet would make games better and enable more social/community elements in games. Forcing game developers to build games for backwards individuals who haven't figured out they should connect their console to the Internet is hurting the medium not helping it.
So don't force them to develop games that depend on players being offline, there's plenty of games that do just that even on Sony and Nintendo platforms already (FFXI and DQX anyone?), you weren't going to be selling to more than maybe a fourth of a console base anyway, so if your design requires being online always just do it.

Nevermind that they'd effectively be designing as if you're offline always if they're still requiring a Live subscription for online gaming purposes anyway, in which case the always online is just a way to stuff ads down your throat.

EDIT: Also, as noted FORCING those kinds of features in a game does no good anyway. Comes off as heavily extroverted people not getting introverted people and forcing social stuff on them rather than considering if it's a good idea for game design. That is, the ideal is Demon's Souls, not Facebook updates on your achievements or game progress.

Except the mass media interviews stating they will support used games....

Respawn

Banned
Is essentially what he's saying about living in smaller, more rural areas. Granted, I get he was "joking" I understand that, I don't have a bad connection in the slightest. But, why mock those that do?

tumblr_inline_mjh0egGa2z1qz4rgp_zpsf579bf0b.gif

Hey isn't that the Blonde Lady from the Orange Juice commercials now as a brunette?

EMT0

Banned
Watch MS remove always online now due to this backlash. It's all GAF's fault guys. Shame on you all.

Keep up the good work

There would be one reason and absolutely only one reason I'd buy an always online console next generation. And that would be if it exclusively had the next iteration of

rdr9.jpg

RDR

If 720 had that as an exclusive, I'd be the bad consumer and just buy it. But as that is very unlikely, It'll be a long time until I get a next-gen console.

clem84

Gold Member
He wouldn't be defending it like that unless it was true. Well, it's pretty much confirmed in my book.

Requiring broadband was said to be anti-consumer.
DLC and microtransactions was said to be anti-consumer.
Kinect space requirements was said to be anti-consumer.
... It still sort of is in the majority of cases?

Also I don't remember space considerations directly being called anti-consumer, just a poorly thought-through aspect of the Kinect.

jay

This will blow over, almost everyone upset by the online thing will still buy the console. This cycle has happened before and will happen again.

Top Bottom