• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

They can't afford not to reply now. Even if this turns out to be untrue when they eventually announce their console, there will be millions of people around the world who'll still THINK it is true.

Exactly, MS now have to do some damage control if the rumors aren't true, this bad press they'll keep getting isn't going to help them out. If they only react with a "no comment on rumors", I'll be very much inclined to believe they're actually true.

Alx

Without even entering the "always online" considerations (I'll do that in another topic probably), I don't understand all this social media approach. I mean, how and why did those comments get on twitter ?
Whether it is a genuine argumentation between the guy and a developer, or they're trolling each other, why shout it for everyone to hear ? Did they forget about e-mail and chat and all those things that allow two people to communicate without having the whole internet read their messages ?

Yeah I feel old.

I mean it's not like he would be doing a great job for Microsoft anyways. Look what he did at LucasArts.

lT2gaVk.jpg

MS should just fire him. He won't be missed.

first time in 9 years, just canceled xbox live.

will sell my 13th xbox 360 when the gold sub runs out in may.

Long live my playstations.

Hope halo eventually comes to PC only thing that MS has on me :(

Without even entering the "always online" considerations (I'll do that in another topic probably), I don't understand all this social media approach. I mean, how and why did those comments get on twitter ?
Whether it is a genuine argumentation between the guy and a developer, or they're trolling each other, why shout it for everyone to hear ? Did they forget about e-mail and chat and all those things that allow two people to communicate without having the whole internet read their messages ?

Yeah I feel old.
He's REALLY into always-on. Why have an offline chat when you can have it with the entire Internet?

I just hope they actually say if it's true now.

even more people are stating it as fact and choosing not to buy a product that's not been announced now. Time for Mattrick to say something.

Pennywise

Yeah I feel old.

Yeah, he should called himself Sweet Billy instead of using his real name :x
No one would have doubted someone called Sweet Billy.

They can't afford not to reply now. Even if this turns out to be untrue when they eventually announce their console, there will be millions of people around the world who'll still THINK it is true.

Indeed. They have to reply to this otherwise risk turning their as yet unannounced console into a pariah.

Honestly, the mind-share they've lost over the past 48hs is staggering. I simply cannot believe they've allowed it to reach this point. This will forever taint the new console, it's simply not possible it won't. They should have stepped in before it was allowed to be reported on the major gaming sites.

He should get shit; but nothing he has done warrants he be fired.

This guy just potentially killed any advantage MS had going in their official announcement of the Durango AND possibly killed off thousands if not HUNDREDS of thousands of potential sales.

Dude's is going to see the pink slip

Yeah I feel old.

Lol my thoughts exactly, must be easier/more convenient via Twitter or Facebook. I wouldn't know, just use Twitter to spam Yoshida about a new Colony Wars ;)

Pein

Banned
I recently had my internet go out and my connection is always shitty anyway, I guarantee I will not buy a always on console.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Exactly, MS now have to do some damage control if the rumors aren't true, this bad press they'll keep getting isn't going to help them out. If they only react with a "no comment on rumors", I'll be very much inclined to believe they're actually true.

I wonder how simple it would be for MS to change their policy on this now that the responses are negative across the board? I'd imagine (if this IS true) that MS have struck a lot of exclusive deals with devs based on this feature. We'll see, but Sony must be breaking out the bubbly right now because EVERYTHING is going their way.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh god theyre really going to do it. This is ultimate hubris. Third console curse is real. REAL.

Great, more outlets need to report on this so it'll force MS to respond in some way.

Microsoft isn't going to respond to this. News outlets have been writing about the Nextbox being always online and not playing used games for months now. They still haven't said a thing. We're not gonna hear a peep from them until they officially announce the console. "We don't comment on rumors or speculation" is the best you can hope for until then.

Foffy

Banned
Indeed. They have to reply to this otherwise risk turning their as yet unannounced console into a pariah.

Honestly, the mind-share they've lost over the past 48hs is staggering. I simply cannot believe they've allowed it to reach this point. This will forever taint the new console, it's simply not possible it won't. They should have stepped in before it was allowed to be reported on the major gaming sites.

This is assuming that the claims are false, no? I think Nintendo's and Sony's silence on the leaks of their machines with developers hinting at the smoke made it clear that the fires were real. Maybe Microsoft has feared all along how bad this response would have been and was planning to maybe to soften the blow after showing off the system and games, but now it's like no matter what they show, if they're going through with this, there will be an audience that will simply avoid the product altogether.

I just realized....

This is ALL because of NeoGAF...unquestionably. Were it not for us...this likely wouldn't be anywhere near as big....

GAF may have just decided the console wars!

GAF-->Internet--->GAF

rdrr gnr

This guy just potentially killed any advantage MS had going in their official announcement of the Durango AND possibly killed off thousands if not HUNDREDS of thousands of potential sales.

Dude's is going to see the pink slip
Not really. He single-handedly killed off a marketing budget of soon to be hundreds of millions? If the console is always online -- that was a decision made by executives -- not by a creative director. The truth* was going to come out eventually.

RetroStu

Banned
Sony are getting the best publicity they could wish for PS4 and they haven't even had to do anything!, the thing will sell itself.

itsgreen

I actually feel really bad for him.

I'm sorry, but I don't.

People bitch and moan about all sort of stupid reasons. This one is valid to me.

When you move to a new place your Xbox will be bricked
When your ISP fucks up your Xbox will be bricked
When MS fucks up your Xbox will be bricked
When MS calls it quits your Xbox will be bricked

And why? Because they choose to.

They choose to because they think it will help defeat piracy.
They sell it as: because Kinect needs it if it doesn't understand your command.

When you mock valid concerns and dismiss them like that you deserve all that is coming to you and your company.

My solution would be:
Monthly phone home instead of every minute.
Disable only features that require internet.
Give me the guarantee that there will be an end of life update that frees the box from phoning home.

Top Bottom