• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Dial use in gaming?

Hexa

I don't think it'll be useful in non-gaming. I really don't get the point of it at all.

soco

Look back to the first surface (not the portable devices) and they had similar tangible things and some table top game examples.

I remember quite a few but here's one focusing still on the circular menu stuff: youtube vid

bomblord1

Banned
I can't see any situation where reaching down to grab something on the desk and then sticking it on the screen and twisting it would benefit gaming.

Maybe I'm just not imaging hard enough.

Arkanoid
S3cn2s6.jpg

harSon

Banned
I doubt it has any use in gaming, but Microsoft's engineering team under Panos has been sooooooooooooooooooo good. Scorpio is going to be a damn attractive piece of hardware.

krang

Basically anything with lots of menus. So RTS or MMO.

In reality, though - won't happen. 3DConnexion controllers have been around for a long time and have seen an absolutely minimal (like, hobby modding) take up in games, and they're awfully more compatible, and arguably more useful for gaming implementations.

blakep267

I think it's be cool for like a minority report type thing.

Imagine wearing a hololens with a hologram in front of you. You have a surface and dial in your hands. And you can forward and rewind a scene then walk around it to investigate. Itd be the most expensive thing ever but kinda cool

considering the platform costs $3,000 and seriously doubt there's much of an install base

I think the whole thing is incredible tech for content creation though... I'm seriously considering saving up for one

blakep267

considering the platform costs $3,000 and seriously doubt there's much of an install base

I think the whole thing is incredible tech for content creation though... I'm seriously considering saving up for one
You can use the surface dial on surface 3,4 and surface book also

The dial itself only costs $99

Servbot24

Banned
It could have some neat contextual uses for slow-paced, story-driven or puzzle games.

I doubt it happens anytime soon given the likely audience size.

Noobcraft

I think it's actually compatible with almost any Windows 10 pc to an extent. It just won't have the same functionality.

Very cool piece of hardware but it won't be used in any games. It would be silly and cool for MS to integrate it into some first party games for fun & kicks though.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i still have one of these and it feels premium as fuck
anyone knows if this works with mame ?

Top Bottom