• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: The Xbox 360's 10 Year Lifecycle Could Overlap With Next-Gen

Curufinwe

TheExecutive said:
If anything Sony will beat them to the punch. There is nothing holding Sony back technology wise that would make them forfeit a year to the 360. It just won't happen again.

It's not just about Sony having the technology, it's about having the money to pay for the development and manufacture of a new console.

And people forget that all the 360 got by launching a year early was second place by a few million units. The Wii launched a year later and still managed to outsell the 360 by 30 million. It's not like the console that launches first in a generation is always the market leader.

Gunmonkey36 said:
Let us all just pray that they learned from their engineering mistakes with the 360.

A failure rate on launch version of a console should never ever be above 50% or even close to that.
MS wasn't the only hardware manufacturer which had problems with their products circa 2005. The EU regulation which banned lead based solder was something which came up just before the 360 came out and thats what caused the 360 (and many GPUs from that era as well) to have issues with broken connections.

plagiarize said:
and the Wii being unveiled the year before it came out? did that do damage or good?

Wii is completely different. Nintendo didn't hype the Wii through the roof with unrealistic videos and promises. They shipped exactly what they said they were gonna ship. So no false expectations. Sony on the other hand, really over promised and then under delivered.

skyfinch

Gunmonkey36 said:
Let us all just pray that they learned from their engineering mistakes with the 360.

A failure rate on launch version of a console should never ever be above 50% or even close to that.

They have. It's called the Xbox slim.

Sydle

Curufinwe said:
It's not just about Sony having the technology, it's about having the money to pay for the development and manufacture of a new console.

And people forget that all the 360 got by launching a year early was second place by a few million units. The Wii launched a year later and still managed to outsell the 360 by 30 million. It's not like the console that launches first in a generation is always the market leader.

Terrible perspective, forget the competition for a second. The Xbox business has grown by leaps and bounds for many reasons, but I believe that lead start helped solidify developer relations and set a strong brand image/value prop before the historical heavy weights jumped onto the scene. Sony lost a shit-ton of mind-share, and Nintendo has lost a ton of momentum on the Wii, so they're playing their hand ASAP. MS is in a good spot, they played their cards right enough times to get there.

Microsoft is going to try to get 3rd parties in their corner again - secure exclusive content deals, establish Live as a go-to for big multiplayer IP's, market Kinect as THE motion-control standard, etc. That becomes hard to do without lead time on the competition.

godhandiscen said:
Since Sony said they had a 10 year life cycle for the PS3 and used it as a fear tactic to scare consumers into believing the Xbox 360 would be replaced as fast as the original Xbox. Microsoft countered by saying the X360 would last 1 day more than the PS3.
It has more to do with the fact that MS wants to have a massive return on their investment. Remember, they killed the Xbox early due to some bad business decisions so X360 had to make up for Xbox losses and then some.

Not sure if e3 2012 will be where they reveal. Xbox and Xbox 360 were early in the year reveals and then launch fall that year. Early 2013 reveal seems more like it.

Yopis

Gunmonkey36 said:

I just want a slot loading disc drive.

10 year?

With Games of Demand, and HDD getting Bigger MS Can sell a new version of xbox with just the HDD for every.

Imagine a 2000 or 3000 gig HDD ONLY Xbox with no dvd drive.

BurntPork

Banned
Unregistered007 said:
10 year?

With Games of Demand, and HDD getting Bigger MS Can sell a new version of xbox with just the HDD for every.

Imagine a 2000 or 3000 gig HDD ONLY Xbox with no dvd drive.
It would flop horribly. A lot of people have to deal with slow or capped internet.

duk

Banned
Omikaru said:
2012: Halo 4 on 360.
2013: Next-generation Xbox launches.
2014: Halo 5 on next-generation Xbox.
2015: 360 discontinued.

Believe it. And I bet you we'll see similar movements from Sony with the PS4. Something tells me Sony won't let Microsoft get a year long head start on them this time around.

give or take 6months to a year, i'd say ur spot on

see5harp

JWong said:
360 is already dead with the Kinect.

Kinect is pretty much a console launch with they way they're forcing all their studios to make Kinect games.

I'm going to match your troll and raise "What studios? "

No console this gen, including the 360 is nearly popular enough and at such a competitive price point as to pull a PS2. It would take a long series of awesome and lucky decision making for a company to put another console out that will rival the ubiquity and dominance the PS2 enjoyed in it's prime.

Yazus

-Xbox 360 Slim + Kinect bundle 129$ for fall 2012 announced at E3
-Xbox 720 announced at E3 2013 for fall 21013
-Has 500GB HDD, more focus on Games on Demand, XBLA BC as well as 360 full BC
-Blue Ray, Kinect integrated, Metro UI, Windows 8 support
-Xbox 720 launches with Fable IV (lol), Halo 5, possibly FF13 versus port from ps3 (square shoot themselves in the foot v2)

360 games still being developed (many wii u ports, ps3 ports, kinect games)

gatti-man

Even if they launched a next gen console today with zero games and all it would do is add 8xAA and 16xAF plus upscale all games to 1080p 60fps Id buy it day 1. Bring next gen asap.

Yazus said:
-Xbox 360 Slim + Kinect bundle 129$ for fall 2012 announced at E3
-Xbox 720 announced at E3 2013 for fall 21013
-Has 500GB HDD, more focus on Games on Demand, XBLA BC as well as 360 full BC
-Blue Ray, Kinect integrated, Metro UI, Windows 8 support
-Xbox 720 launches with Fable IV (lol), Halo 5, possibly FF13 versus port from ps3 (square shoot themselves in the foot v2)

360 games still being developed (many wii u ports, ps3 ports, kinect games)
It would be dumb to release any big title like halo right away. You will sell console no mater what initially. Also iu am sure hdd will be 1 tb or at least 800 gb since we are already near 500 gbas it is. Then they will release even bigger ones down the road like this gen.

.GqueB.

Banned
onken said:
Yeah I don't think anybody wasn't expecting a 2012 reveal.
Yes people were. I saw in multiple E3 threads this year that people are looking forward to next year because of all the console reveals.

Believe.

JWong said:
360 is already dead with the Kinect.

Kinect is pretty much a console launch with they way they're forcing all their studios to make Kinect games.
TheOddOne said:
Look at all the bitterness.
it's like:

4pcvno2.gif

Ashodin

I really can't wait for the next Xbox, if only to stop the incredibly stupid name of "Xbox 720" from showing up on the internet.

.GqueB. said:
Yes people were. I saw in multiple E3 threads this year that people are looking forward to next year because of all the console reveals.

Believe.
Re-read his post. He's saying the opposite of what you think he's saying.

2005-2013 is good enough of a run for Xbox 360. Of course the 360 will be around a few years beyond 2013 after the next-gen Xbox launches, but it won't have the staying power of a PS2.

JABEE

I just don't see Sony or Microsoft dragging out this gen. You introduce a new console when you still have momentum going for it. You don't wait until sales stagnate. I see WiiU 2012 and PS4 and Xbox 720 in 2013. I also think Sony is holding back God of War 4 for the launch of PS4. I remember when te PS3 launched and GOW II came out on PS2 when the PS3 was really struggling. I don't seetem doing that again. Rumors of GOW4 reveal last year make me think my prediction will be true.

Doffen

Omikaru said:
2012: Halo 4 on 360.
2013: Next-generation Xbox launches.
2014: Halo 5 on next-generation Xbox.
2015: 360 discontinued.

Believe it. And I bet you we'll see similar movements from Sony with the PS4. Something tells me Sony won't let Microsoft get a year long head start on them this time around.
I’d say 2015.

Frankfurt

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Uh..not really.

Are we forgetting the Xbox 360 being more powerful than PCs on release? Or are you all going to re-write the past (aka "post screencaps of 2005 PC games using 2011 specs and textures")? It's how this discussion always goes...

JABEE said:
I just don't see Sony or Microsoft dragging out this gen. You introduce a new console when you still have momentum going for it. You don't wait until sales stagnate. I see WiiU 2012 and PS4 and Xbox 720 in 2013. I also think Sony is holding back God of War 4 for the launch of PS4. I remember when te PS3 launched and GOW II came out on PS2 when the PS3 was really struggling. I don't seetem doing that again. Rumors of GOW4 reveal last year make me think my prediction will be true.
Why would you put a console out when you are selling well and will continue to for at least the next 2 years. Also they probably had it planned to keep it a longer gen. Also sony should not make gow 4 a launch,would be a huge waste since the console will sell initially regardless. Its better to have it in your pocket for later on.

[Nintex]

Syphon Filter said:
Why would you put a console out when you are selling well and will continue to for at least the next 2 years. Also they probably had it planned to keep it a longer gen. Also sony should not make gow 4 a launch,would be a huge waste since the console will sell initially regardless. Its better to have it in your pocket for later on.
It depends, did you see the last NPD release? Is that a one time event or a trend? Also the Wii was at its peak and then dropped down a cliff will Microsoft risk a pattern like that I don't think so.

kitzkozan

I expect the next Xbox by 2013 or 2014 since Halo 4 is coming next year. With all the growth and momentum toward the Xbox brand, no need to rush out another console that could be plagued with "hardware problems". ;) I say 2013 since they won't take the risk of allowing a 2 years headstart to Nintendo with the WiiU (even if I doubt 3rd party will really adopt it) .

[Nintex] said:
It depends, did you see the last NPD release? Is that a one time event or a trend? Also the Wii was at its peak and then dropped down a cliff will Microsoft risk a pattern like that I don't think so.
It is the july npd so it's no surprising the numbers were not big. Also 277k is good,it was higher than their 2009 july numbers.[july 2010 had full month of 360 s when it just came out]. Watch in sept and beyond.

Dipswitch

[Nintex] said:

Right on the money. I also have to think that MS would prefer to release a loss leader console while still receiving a healthy amount of revenue from 360 sales. That way they can offset those losses associated with the new units with ongoing revenue and keep the balance sheet for the Entertainment division looking a little healthier.

Doesn't this always happen with a new console? Isn't the "old" version still supported well into the life of the new console?

This is different, how?

When the SNES came out, the NES was still pumping out new games for a good long while. When PS2 was released there were still some damn good PS1 games coming out. When the 360 came out there were still xbox 1's being supported. It'll take time and ramp down.

Mammoth Jones said:
Doesn't this always happen with a new console? Isn't the "old" version still supported well into the life of the new console?

This is different, how?

When the SNES came out, the NES was still pumping out new games for a good long while. When PS2 was released there were still some damn good PS1 games coming out. When the 360 came out there were still xbox 1's being supported. It'll take time and ramp down.
Not always. Sega's transition from the Sega Saturn to the Sega Dreamcast broke this rule.

Microsoft, who do you think you are? Sony?

You killed the original Xbox, which had SO MUCH potential. The only reason you will support the 360 is because of the whole marketplace fiasco.

watership

Mammoth Jones said:

This is different, how?

Microsoft killed the Xbox pretty fast after the release of the 360. They were still paying huge costs for hard drives and other materials because they didn't own the IP on the hardware. The division was still in the red years after because of this.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
More time to save up for the 720?

Curufinwe

Frankfurt said:
Are we forgetting the Xbox 360 being more powerful than PCs on release? Or are you all going to re-write the past (aka "post screencaps of 2005 PC games using 2011 specs and textures")? It's how this discussion always goes...

You can pretty easily compare Perfect Dark Zero on the 360 to Fear on 2005 PC hardware like a 7800.

Top Bottom