• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to stop Internet Explorer and Debut "Spartan" a Firefox/Chrome contender

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't believe me? Spartan it.

hqdefault.jpg

WillyFive

I think old people will stick with Internet Explorer. Considering they never update their browsers anyway, they wouldn't even notice a replacement came out.

XnofateX

Neo Member
I enjoy the fun Halo references. I thing Spartan would be a fine name for a new browser. As for Chrome it always makes me think of some Hells Angle's motorcycle so I am scared to touch it. :p

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's about time, I could never swap from Firefox because it has by far the best addons.

A few webdesign friends have reacted to this rumour with a sigh and a "god damn it"

Anyway I cant wait for the marketing campaign. The last few IE marketing pushes where hilarious

Heigic

I've been looking for an alternative to Chrome ever since Google decided to put a giant search box on the new tab page. Extensions, tabs and bookmark sync is all I really need from a browser.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This pleases me. One of the reasons I hate using IE is that I can't get the great extensions I use regularly on FF.

Yeah, same. Firefox has been running like a dog lately, I have to keep restarting it when it eventually starts to get really slow and I've never been a fan of Chrome.

IE11 is really fast but it's missing too many features I use in Firefox so I have to stick with that.

Hopefully this going to be good.

Microsoft stepping up their game. I'll always be an Opera user because I love the browser but I'm definitely curious to try this one. Also Spartan is an awesome name. The coolest name they could have possibly chosen. I stopped using IE years ago because it felt too resource intensive and "heavy" to use so if this remedies that I'd definitely be interested in trying it out. Hopefully the first version isn't too far off.

Glad Microsoft finally admitted defeat (with iterating IE) and are trying something new.

slit

This doesn't usually go well for MS, but they really don't have any options anyway so might as well go for it.

MercuryLS

Banned
Why does ms have such an allergic reaction to WebKit? Its the new standard and they refuse to make a browser that is based on it. So insular.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Just stop with the Halo references, Cortana was one thing but a browser named Spartan just seems tacky.

A few webdesign friends have reacted to this rumour with a sigh and a "god damn it"
Tell them to stop living in 2001. IE has been fine for the last few versions. If Spartan is anything like IE11, they have nothing to worry about. The whole hating on IE thing is starting to get old.

Why does ms have such an allergic reaction to WebKit? Its the new standard and they refuse to make a browser that is based on it. So insular.
Why would you want everything to run on Webkit? Lack of competition in the browser space was the cause of the whole IE6 disaster. There are now three main browser engines, that is a good number I think.

grmlin

The engine of IE runs fine since 9, with many js/css features missing, of course. The gap is closing with each new version, though.

Biggest problem of IE is the UI from the '90s and the lack of extensions/addons. If they fix that the new IE will be a huge step forward. And confusing people with a new name of a product they use for ages now, is MS at it's best...

BTW: Chrome is not using Webkit anymore, but a fork called blink.

Einbroch

Banned
I actually really like how IE looks. The flat look of the new Skype is sexy as well.

If they can get it faster and get some nice extensions, I'll be in.

Jedi2016

Bullshit. Microsoft never makes anything from scratch. This will be a "new browser" that has 90% of its code recycled from IE.

Bricky

Hmm, very interesting. The latest version of IE isn't bad actually, even if they just fork that into something with similar features to Chrome I might actually consider using it.

In this specific case I even agree that it would be a smart move to drop the 'Internet Explorer' brand. This browser is clearly intended as something new for the somewhat tech savvy, and most people with a bit of computer knowledge hate IE just because of it being called IE these days (to the point of it being a meme).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom