• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to use different technology for HoloLens? (Possible development issues?)

M.D

I was reading this article on Ynet, it's about Microsoft Israel firing 60 engineers (30 contractors and 30 from inside the company that have one month to find another position within the comapn, but it basically sounds like they got fired as well)

It mentions that they were working on HoloLens for the past 2 and a half years, based on the technology of a company that Microsoft bought in Israel 6 years ago.
The article says Microsoft is stopping the project and moving it to a different technology from the US. It's not clear from the article if they were the main development team or were working on just one aspect of the project, but it sounds more like the latter.

Here's thr article in Hebrew

http://m.ynet.co.il/Articles/4732513

Danlord

It would be really interesting and quite dramatic if Microsoft decided to go down the VR route instead of AR for gaming. HoloLens could adapt itself as a good tool for enterprise use, but I don't think they would make as much money out of it as it would as a gaming peripheral, and AR I don't think is going to be that big for gaming, whereas VR is.

Which also begs the question of how Microsoft is going to get VR applications to work on the Xbox One if they explore VR. Regular games often struggle to hit 1080p and the demand for 1080p60 without VR-specific optimisations is already too taxing. Microsoft has shown interest in research for the optics, where they created better optics for the Oculus Rift DK2 using off-the-shelf components, which the paper can be found here. Perhaps their improved optics could enhance appearance of 900p60fps games for VR better but I am doubting the Xbox One's capabilities to deliver that for VR. I guess we'll see.

Maybe they are just retooling the design of HoloLens, I remember when they bought the Isreal-based company for Kinect they redesigned Project Natal, so perhaps that's going to be the same with HoloLens.

M3d10n

Maybe they found a better tech for the AR screen their internal team can't match? Hopefully one that allows for a wider FOV.

Alx

I was reading this article on Ynet, it's about Microsoft Israel firing 60 engineers (30 contractors and 30 from inside the company that have one month to find another position within the comapn, but it basically sounds like they got fired as well)

It mentions that they were working on HoloLens for the past 2 and a half years, based on the technology of a company that Microsoft bought in Israel 6 years ago.

Is it 3dv ? (I can't get to load the page in hebrew, and I don't read hebrew anyway :p *edit - doesn't seem to be mentioned)
I remember when they announced its purchase a few months before the kinect reveal, it was one of the first hints of their future activit in depth technologies.
I'm still wondering today how strategic that purchase has been (maybe for patents ?), since they ended up using Primesense technology for the first kinect.

EvB

It's likely to be the technology for the environment mapping rather than anything else.

They worked with primesense (an company from israel) for Kinect, but moved on to an in house solution (?) for the Kinect 2.0.

Apple then bought primesense.
It could be that MS want to keep licensing fees down again

Top Bottom