• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

infinityBCRT said:
If the Windows store has 0% royalties and they launch the store with ports of recent Halo & Gears games, shit will get real.
See with the new Xbox on the horizon and Xbox Live integration I am starting to believe those rumors of 360 games playable on Windows 8.

Also where did this 0% loyalties start up? Because I kind of want to start a thread over on the gaming side about that and the potential 0% royalties has for Windows 8

KtSlime

Jadedx said:
Why would they even wan't susv3 cert? They are not based on unix, at all.

Basic POSIX (almost)compliance should be a requirement for all OSes in this day and age. It's not like they are still trying to propagate their DOS command vocabulary any longer - so instead of keeping around a broken useless command line interface, they should take this chance to actually bring it up to speed with the rest of the computing world. Cygwin is a poor substitute, and a clumsy hack - yes this is catering to a small demographic of users, however I think they'd be better in the long run for supporting at least the basics of the specification. It would also aide in the ease of porting software - and since Win8's new interface seems to be heavily abstracted from the background this can only help them.

alphaNoid said:
Doesn't it feel like someone is talking nonstop unloading feature after feature? When someone gets tired, BOOM new speaker to go nonstop lol

Any good listing of the features that have been announced/shown, other than a live blog?

JaggedSac

Brettison said:
In a tablet mindset yes, but they won't even be close to late in terms of a desktop OS. It's this odd mash that fucks with my mind.

Not like everyone doesn't already support Windows as a desktop OS.

Plus who's gonna host the apps + push the updates? MS? That space + bandwidth isn't free. To make it up on the OS price wouldn't last long.

Well, everyone who has a Live account gets 25gb of free space on SkyDrive and they are using it heavily for photos, documents, and video storage in both W8 and WP. That bandwidth(for free services) probably eclipses what patches and updates will cause. Yuo probably also have to pay some money to be able to upload apps. The cost of that will most certainly be lower than royalty costs.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
irfan said:
It'll help them leapfrog iOS's app count very quickly.
This isn't strictly an iOS competitor though. It's a desktop OS too. Idk... The paradigm of the same OS makes this a cluster fuck to sort out in my mind.

People are gonna make apps for it regardless cause it's the next mainline version of windows. Yet maybe not tablet wise. It's just nuts to think about.

Totakeke

wwm0nkey said:
See with the new Xbox on the horizon and Xbox Live integration I am starting to believe those rumors of 360 games playable on Windows 8.

Also where did this 0% loyalties start up? Because I kind of want to start a thread over on the gaming side about that and the potential 0% royalties has for Windows 8

You mean royalties. I haven't seen any other website confirm it yet, but the source was from the live blog when they started talking about the windows app store.

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/windows8/build-day-keynote-live-blog-140551

wwm0nkey said:

Someone mentioned Paul Thurrott said it but I haven't been able to find where he said it.

Raistlin

ZombieFred said:
Fuck me, Microsoft's hitting all the right notes for a unified Microsoft echo-system, from their phone, XBOX, to PC. They really are doing something amazing here.
This will sound like blasphemy ... but I want Sony and MS to make a console together now

artist

Banned
Brettison said:
This isn't strictly an iOS competitor though. It's a desktop OS too. Idk... The paradigm of the same OS makes this a cluster fuck to sort out in my mind.

People are gonna make apps for it regardless cause it's the next mainline version of windows. Yet maybe not tablet wise. It's just nuts to think about.
It is in a sense. Tablets are taking off and the projected numbers for tablet market share is worrying (tablets taking over desktops). So Microsoft is gradually making the shift, they want to get there quicker and be in a better position than Android and iOS. And MS want developers to focus on apps on touch too.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
shantyman said:
I don't think he is envious, but he is certainly being stupid, very very stupid.
Not sure why the hell he's so focused on the vents/fans so much today :lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
JaggedSac said:
Well, everyone who has a Live account gets 25gb of free space on SkyDrive and they are using it heavily for photos, documents, and video storage in both W8 and WP. That bandwidth(for free services) probably eclipses what patches and updates will cause. Yuo probably also have to pay some money to be able to upload apps. The cost of that will most certainly be lower than royalty costs.
.Until you get into the game realm and WoW is on that bitch. I know MS gives away 25 gigs for free on the SkyDrive, but man WoW + patches would eat that up in a heart beat equivalently speaking

Jadedx

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
Basic POSIX (almost)compliance should be a requirement for all OSes in this day and age. It's not like they are still trying to propagate their DOS command vocabulary any longer - so instead of keeping around a broken useless command line interface, they should take this chance to actually bring it up to speed with the rest of the computing world. Cygwin is a poor substitute, and a clumsy hack - yes this is catering to a small demographic of users, however I think they'd be better in the long run for supporting at least the basics of the specification. It would also aide in the ease of porting software - and since Win8's new interface seems to be heavily abstracted from the background this can only help them.
Why would they want to make it easier for devs to port to unix based systems? They hate unix.

harSon

Banned
I stopped watching for 1-2 hours, is it me or did the main dude get a lot better at speaking over the course of the conference?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
too bad there is no ARM build for download. Would love to see it ported to an existing tablet.

Edit: did they just play eminem for a hot second?

Brettison said:
.Until you get into the game realm and WoW is on that bitch. I know MS gives away 25 gigs for free on the SkyDrive, but man WoW + patches would eat that up in a heart beat equivalently speaking

afaik they are planning unlimited skydrive

Mr_Zombie

I've a little bit late to the party, but does the store work only for Metro apps or does it work also for normal applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom