• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Nero3000 said:
Only ~7hours to go now.

Anyone found and good predictions articles?

Hers's the best one i've found so far: http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/robert/my-predictions-for-this-weeks-pdc-2011-oops-i-mean-build.aspx
Write once, install everywhere doesn't make sense to me. Windows Phone apps aren't tablet apps. Tablet apps aren't mouse/keyboard apps. And tablets apps aren't Xbox (controller based) apps. Would be a cool demo, but in practice doesn't seem like a great UX idea.

glaurung

I want a beta of Win8 that I can try out for myself.

Oh, and MS pushing free stuff to all attendees? Nothing new, they did it with Win7 phones too. It stands to reason that a considerable amount of Win7 phones out there exist and are used simply because nobody paid for them beside MS.

I don't see how MS distributing tablets for free would have the same effect. But it might.

Yoshiya

Do we expect the tablet to be ARM based? I can't think of what quad core ARM SoC could be used bar Kal-El, but that isn't even properly unveiled yet. x86 quad core would blow the TDP budget ten times over though.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
giga said:
Write once, install everywhere doesn't make sense to me. Windows Phone apps aren't tablet apps. Tablet apps aren't mouse/keyboard apps. And tablets apps aren't Xbox (controller based) apps. Would be a cool demo, but in practice doesn't seem like a great UX idea.
Well, if you can use directives to cater to the different UIs then it would be worth it to maintain one code base.

giga

from reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/ke24k/4_new_screenshots_of_windows_8/

R6E1J.jpg

aGvzp.jpg

giga said:

Universal apps. It works for iOS, why not for Windows (Phone)? Right now, you can share your XNA codebase with the PC, Windows Phone and Xbox 360.

tabsina

actually really very excited, and that task manager looks great

too bad the keynote is in the middle of night here :(

giga

brotkasten said:
Universal apps. It works for iOS, why not for Windows (Phone)? Right now, you can share your XNA codebase with the PC, Windows Phone and Xbox 360.
That blog post didn't imply that. It implied (in the sense of WORA) that you'd write just one app and it'd run unchanged on every other platform.

Now, it makes sense that this will be the way you build Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 apps, and there has been plenty of speculation to that end. But I believe that the Xbox 360 will also support this format… meaning it is conceivable that the same app will run, unchanged, on all three screens of the Microsoft ecosystem.

If we're talking about maintaining a universal app like iOS and Android, then sure I'm all for that.

giga said:
If we're talking about maintaining a universal app like iOS and Android, then sure I'm all for that.

I honestly don't see how they could pull off WORA, so yeah, it must be the universal app concept. We've already seen a blown-up Windows Phone app as "Windows 8 app" and it does not work and looks horrible.

e: claviertekky, you forgot the best live blog evar.

build-live-blog.png

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20110909/join-us-for-the-build-keynotes-group-liveblog/

Can't wait to read Paul's bitter comments again. He was great at MIX11. :lol

Nero3000

giga said:
That blog post didn't imply that. It implied (in the sense of WORA) that you'd write just one app and it'd run unchanged on every other platform.

I read it as universal apps, where the same code runs behind the application but a different UX would be coded for each device.

Further more i don't see how that is not WORA, the code still runs, you are just selecting the best UI to present given the screen (Phone, PC or TV).

venne

brotkasten said:
I never said I'd buy it. :D It's a giveaway, who doesn't like giveaways? There's still a slim chance that someone makes a 4:3 W8 tablet, since 1024x768 is supported.

1CYMD.jpg

I have a X220 Tablet in front of me and god damn, 16:9 really does suck.
16:9 gives you the real estate to run two programs side by side on a tablet.

I'd rather have that option. But I wouldn't be against putting Windows 8 on my touchpad.

Nero3000

There are rumours flying around that the messaging application comes through the Phone (linked via Bluetooth) a la Web OS.

If true i am genuinely excited, i have always envisioned being able to access messaging and calls from a tablet while your phone is in your pocket.

Now give me a Windows 8 version of the galaxy tab 7, with that SAMOLED+ screen.

venne said:
16:9 gives you the real estate to run two programs side by side on a tablet.

I'd rather have that option.

Don't forget watching 360p YouTube videos in fullscreen, without black borders!

But seriously, yes, it's a nice option, but as someone who uses multiple monitors, it's still laughable. I need better examples than squeezing one Twitter stream at the side, while I use my generic newspaper app.

Nero3000

brotkasten said:
Don't forget watching 360p YouTube videos in fullscreen, without black borders!

But seriously, yes, it's a nice option, but as someone who uses multiple monitors, it's still laughable. I need better examples than squeezing one Twitter stream at the side, while I use my generic newspaper app.

Two word documents side by side referring to each other.

Outlook uses widescreen space very well.

Just general excel visibility.

The ribbon gains more commands the more horizontal space there is.

kkaabboomm said:
the rumors were true. i want to see videos of this OS in action please.

I hate the design, but Metro is always prettier in motion.

win81.gif

Nero3000 said:
Two word documents side by side referring to each other.

Outlook uses widescreen space very well.

Just general excel visibility.

The ribbon gains more commands the more horizontal space there is.

That's why we had 16:10 monitors, but I'm specifically talking about 16:9 tablets.

SimleuqiR

Hope my one year old ASUS can run Windows 8 without issue. Depending on how good the "synergy" between tablet and pc, I might just by a Windows tablet next year.

eastmen

Banned
SimleuqiR said:
Hope my one year old ASUS can run Windows 8 without issue. Depending on how good the "synergy" between tablet and pc, I might just by a Windows tablet next year.

i bought the $150 touch pad for this reason , get the benfits of a tablet today and hopefully next year good windows 8 tablets are out ( i want to wait for a dual core 2 ghz x86-64bit cpu so i can play tor on it ) and i can replace my hp with a neo dual core 1.6ghz and radeon hd 3200 plus hd 4330. I already know the e-350 is faster than it in games , so hopefully that performance plus a little comes down in price.

Although rumors are that some teams want to port windows 8 to the touch pad ,so i might be able to wait a little longer

Looks like the Samsung tablet is Intel-based (or you can chose between ARM and Intel/x86, I don't know).

bwwz1zt2a4q86a03c.jpg

Unboxing videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoVFkOi7Zos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uks1Nl88qCA

(CNET gets a lot of hate for that)

e:
Some people are really screwing things up and ruining it for the rest of us right now ...

It's not the fact that people are breaking legal agreements (that's their problem), it's the fact that everyone suffers now/future #bldwin

Yep.

Yoshiya

Looks nice. I'd love to see a tablet market with some real competition, so this can only be a good thing. The cnet video though... how does that even happen?

Surprised it's Intel though. Didn't know they had ULV CPUs suitable for this kind of thing.

Yoshiya said:
Looks nice. I'd love to see a tablet market with some real competition, so this can only be a good thing. The cnet video though... how does that even happen?

You know, it's important to get your story out first. The quality doesn't matter.
That said: "@WithinRafael: Good job CNET jackass. #bldwin"

An-Det

I'm excited for it, glad they will be streaming it in two hours. Can't wait to see what they've come up with, since I haven't paid much attention to anything Windows 8.

xtop

brotkasten said:
You know, it's important to get your story out first. The quality doesn't matter.
That said: "@WithinRafael: Good job CNET jackass. #bldwin"

noob question. what's the big deal?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So Samsung is Intel? I guess it was kind of absurd to think any OEM would support the alternative processor base that has zero software support.

clav

I'm out of bed!

I'll add istartedsomething although it seems to be the same live blog that winrumors is participating.

Thanks guys.

xtop said:
noob question. what's the big deal?

They broke the NDA and revealed the device (and probably wanted to reveal the OS, too), while everyone else is working their asses off, to write some good quality articles and previews.

sykoex said:
So Samsung is Intel? I guess it was kind of absurd to think any OEM would support the alternative processor base that has zero software support.
The slate being powered by Intel is a surprise. build is a developer conference and that Samsung slate it's a dev kit. How else are developers supposed to write apps for a completely new platform? They can't run everything in the emulator.

claviertekky said:
I'm out of bed!

I'll add istartedsomething although it seems to be the same live blog that winrumors is participating.

Thanks guys.
It's the same blog, but I thought the logo was cooler. :p

strata8

brotkasten said:
They broke the NDA and revealed the device (and probably wanted to reveal the OS, too), while everyone else is working their asses off, to write some good quality articles and previews.

The slate being powered by Intel is a surprise. build is a developer conference and that Samsung slate it's a dev kit. How else are developers supposed to write apps for a completely new platform? They can't run everything in the emulator.

It's the same blog, but I thought the logo was cooler. :p
Isn't .NET platform-independent?

Gaspode_T

Hey guys what's going on in this thread?

I hope my man Sinofsky talks and not lackeys

If there is ever a thread I should stay out of it is this one so I bid you adieu.

xtop

PG2G said:
Kal-El probably isn't ready yet and maybe Tegra 2 isn't powerful enough.

that will be a shame if true, means i won't get the android tablet this year that i was hoping for

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Tablet OS will be on-chip and you won't be able to get licenses any other way, right?

I'd love to get W8 on my Touchpad, so I hope that isn't the case.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Lyphen said:
Tablet OS will be on-chip and you won't be able to get licenses any other way, right?

I'd love to get W8 on my Touchpad, so I hope that isn't the case.

It's Windows so you should be able to install it on anything. that's kinda the point.

I can't imagine they'll treat it like a phone OS

Nero3000

D4Danger said:
It's Windows so you should be able to install it on anything

that's kinda the point

I wouldn't hold my breath though. In order to get suitable battery life, i expect them to specifiy chassis's a la Windows Phone.

ConvenientBox said:
more people need to be excited for this.
That like saying more people need to get excited for IBM's new servers. It's Windows, who cares?

I do and I can't wait for the keynote

SPEA

I remember reading somewhere that Win 8 will start up in like 7 seconds or something. Is that still true as of now?

cbox

brotkasten said:
That like saying more people need to get excited for IBM's new servers. It's Windows, who cares?

I do and I can't wait for the keynote

sarcasm detected! :p

Want me some windows 8 lovin.

glaurung

brotkasten said:
It's Windows, who cares?
Heh, that is true. People go all gooey when Steve Jobs' and his minions with shaking hands try to demonstrate multi-finger gesturing and a few nifty 3D effects. But when MS smashes the wall with a mallet, people think that it's nothing new.

It usually isn't, but at least I like the direction in which they are moving nowadays. Excited for a new Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom