• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle Age GAF.....Have you had success with hair restoration products?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So, middle aged guy here losing hair on the top of my head. I see all sorts of things out there that supposedly help stop loss, and grow back hair too.

I don't want to deal with transplants, or surgery. Just wondering if any of yall had any experience with some stuff that actually works to regrow hair in areas where it's currently thin. Specifically, ive been reading about Nutrafol and it seems promising.....

My hair started to fall out about 6 years ago. I still have hair and im not bald, but it is much much thinner. I used monoxidil for about 4 years. Didn’t make a lick of difference. If I get bald patches or go bald, fuck it, bring the clippers on in.

Edit: if you have long hair, keep it short. Learn how to style it better, give it more volume. Use a hairdryer and wash your hair more often so it doesn’t get oily. I use this. Its a powder that helps set the hair without weighing it down and making it oily/wet/greasy. Avoid wax and gel as they are very heavy.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I tired rogain + finnestride religiously for a year with no difference. This was on my hairline. It's said stopping hairline receding is very hard.

My hairloss has been super slow since early 20s and most people think my hair is great, but I can still notice the hairline receding.

You might as well give it a go cos it might help. But I'm not wasting my money.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
So, middle aged guy here losing hair on the top of my head. I see all sorts of things out there that supposedly help stop loss, and grow back hair too.

I don't want to deal with transplants, or surgery. Just wondering if any of yall had any experience with some stuff that actually works to regrow hair in areas where it's currently thin. Specifically, ive been reading about Nutrafol and it seems promising.....
Have you thought about hair tattoing? It looks really good shaved and it's medical ink, it's not like a regular hair tattoo. It's called micropigmentation and it's not really expensive, a couple of thousands.

4UihcUl.jpg

haxan7

Banned
I started balding around age 27. I'm 37 now. I used rogaine for years but I gave up on it. Not worth it. I just keep my hair short and it's not a big deal.

Fbh

I briefly looked into it.
From what I gathered, all those special shampoos and oils and stuff are basically bullshit.

The only products that work are Rogaine and Finnestride. Neither of them are guaranteed to work though, you also have to continue using them forever and they both have potential side effects (the ones from Finnestride in particular can be nasty).

So I decided it's not really worth it. For now I just keep my hair really short and it looks fine, in a few years I'll probably just start shaving

Ryu1999

I tired rogain + finnestride religiously for a year with no difference. This was on my hairline. It's said stopping hairline receding is very hard.

My hairloss has been super slow since early 20s and most people think my hair is great, but I can still notice the hairline receding.

You might as well give it a go cos it might help. But I'm not wasting my money.
Similar situation, but the loss seems to have plateaued now (about to turn 40) but I'm definitely going FUE+finasateride route once wife and I are doing pumping out kids.

The only products that work are Rogaine and Finnestride. Neither of them are guaranteed to work though, you also have to continue using them forever and they both have potential side effects (the ones from Finnestride in particular can be nasty).
i tried finn for a few months. I have an amount of gyno in each nipple that is impossible to see but was noticed in puberty when I had pain. I started to get nipple pain on Finn and quit it immediately. Not worth fucking about with.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just shave it.

Maybe you'll feel bad being bald or having super short stubble, but nobody else will care. Youre friends and fam will rib you for fun about being bald, but in reality they are just joking.

Anyone you meet for the first time seeing you as bald wont even have prior looks of you to compare against. They wont care.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My philosophy:

…I’m not super bald, but I’ve definitely thinned out a ton. If it got much worse I’d probably just got the shaved head route. At least I can grow a beard

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I had no chance. The men on both sides of my family have the horseshoe by the time they're 25. I've been buzzing my head for decades now.

Have you thought about hair tattoing? It looks really good shaved and it's medical ink, it's not like a regular hair tattoo. It's called micropigmentation and it's not really expensive, a couple of thousands.

4UihcUl.jpg
I have to admit, I am genuinely curious about this if it doesn't look weird in real life.

Last edited:
Apparently hair transplants have come a long way. Supposedly, that’s what Elon Musk used to get his back. But they’re expensive and there is the possibility of failure. I’ve been relatively fortunate to have basically all of my hair into my mid 30s. I am going gray on the sides, but that is easily fixed.

Last edited:

Ionian

Spoke to my GP about this and he recommended Rogaine, or at least suggested it. I still had a full head of hair but was starting to thin so asked him his opinion.

So pharmacy is next door, run by bald dudes and I asked about it, looked at me weird. Was something like 80quid a pack for however long the treatment is, a month I think. So said fuck it and got one. Got home open up the packet and then the warnings inside;

- Might make your hair fall out.
- Might grow back but might fall out again.

Basically, no promises but "it might work but don't blame us if it doesn't!". So I thought fuck that, I'm not spending that much doing this over and over again it my hair might fall out because of it and brought it back weeks later to the baldy pharmacist and fair play to him, he actually took it back. I had opened the packaging so he could have told me to fuck off, an absolute gent. Asked him to just credit my account.

Turns out I didn't need it, once exams were over and I was less stressed it went mental with growth. I know it's not the same for everyone but was shocking a Doc would recommend that. A doc with a full head of hair pitting me against two bald pharmacists.

Stupid story but in my case the hair loss was just stress. Had an ex with beautiful hair, she got stressed at one stage and broke out in acne. Got put on steroids to remove the spots, same thing, warnings everywhere such as 'you might feel suicidal'. Spots went but left her with Alopecia, all over her body. Stressed her even more. Cost her her savings visiting hospitals to try to reverse the damage. She had no spots though, including not a spot of hair on her head or body.

Ionian

I had no chance. The men on both sides of my family have the horseshoe by the time they're 25. I've been buzzing my head for decades now.

I have to admit, I am genuinely curious about this if it doesn't look weird in real life.

From what I read it's only as good for as long as you use it. I could be wrong but was the case when I looked.

Plus it costs a fortune. Wanye Rooney is a popular example. (For Americans a massive football (soccer) player).

EDIT: a link

Both Simon Cowell and Elton John must spend half their fortune on their hair and most of that would be having young virgins hair implanted into their scalps. I can just imagine the Bacta tank for either of them, only Elton's one is like a mini-Yoda kind.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

I had it done 8 years ago after a cranioplasty, I had a hair transplant before.

Just own it.

Ask yourself the main question: why do you want to stop/reverse the hair loss? Is it for yourself, or for others? If it's for others, forget about it. Shave it and own it like a boss.

When I had hair, I used to do pretty well with the ladies. When I shaved my head... I started doing even BETTER than I already was. Because as it turns out, when you're confident, no one (family, friends, romantic interests, etc) gives a fuck if you're bald or not.

Rival

Gold Member
I’ve been using rogaine for over a decade. My hair is pretty thin now. I don’t know if it did anything to help or not. I just keep it really short now.

If you don't wanna take drugs that alter your hormone and potentially fuck your dick up for life, you can try Rogaine, Nizoral shampoo, and micro needling your scalp every couple weeks. They sell pens with replaceable cartridges on Amazon for like $100. All three are over the counter and have studies proving their effectiveness.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
If you don't wanna take drugs that alter your hormone and potentially fuck your dick up for life, you can try Rogaine, Nizoral shampoo, and micro needling your scalp every couple weeks. They sell pens with replaceable cartridges on Amazon for like $100. All three are over the counter and have studies proving their effectiveness.

Yep, I would never touch hormones.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If you're losing your hair keep it as short as possible. In my experience people only care/notice if you're desperately trying to hang on to as much as possible.

5d085f4b-0f06-4076-962d-932adb73e836_x365.jpg

Spend your money on updating your wardrobe if you're insecure about your looks. People notice clothes + grooming much more.

Dural

My mom's hair started falling out in chunks after she had covid, her GP said it can be a side affect and recommended trying some over the counter stuff. I just bought her some Minoxidil, we'll see how it works.

Atrus

Gold Member
I trim my hair short and even shorter in the sides and back. It doesn’t make up for the waning density on top but the visible thinness is more blended in.

Billbofet

I still have a pretty good head of hair but have noticed some thinning now in my 40's. My wife suggested derma rolling and it has helped quite a bit. Filled out my beard as well. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I have noticed a big difference.

lol not everyone can rock the bald head man

You would get used to it. My dad had always had long hair and when he got older, he started balding on top and finally decided to shave it and he looked awesome. He has since let his hair grow back on the sides, not sure why, bald suited him. You’ll think you look weird at first, but, really, give it time and it will look “normal” to you.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you're losing your hair keep it as short as possible. In my experience people only care/notice if you're desperately trying to hang on to as much as possible.

5d085f4b-0f06-4076-962d-932adb73e836_x365.jpg

Spend your money on updating your wardrobe if you're insecure about your looks. People notice clothes + grooming much more.
Fuck when you got a head like that where you can count the strands, imagine waking up and seeing a few hairs on your pillow.

"Fuck, I just lost 20% of my hair!"

You would get used to it. My dad had always had long hair and when he got older, he started balding on top and finally decided to shave it and he looked awesome. He has since let his hair grow back on the sides, not sure why, bald suited him. You’ll think you look weird at first, but, really, give it time and it will look “normal” to you.
100% correct. At this point, I can't even remember what I looked like with hair. And I don't want to go back to that, hair was more maintenance than no hair. (At least for me, since I always want to look groomed and presentable.)

I also don't like the "medieval monk" look (hair on the sides but not on top), so that's never gonna happen.

Baldies Assemble! 😂

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nizoral shampoo
Nizoral is a antifungal shampoo containing ketoconazole and long term use can cause hair loss.
Source:
Cracking Up Reaction GIF

Nah seriously, I work in a Pharmacy and I assume you do given your username so how did you not know this? 🤔

BigBooper

Never tried it, but a couple friends tried the rogaine route. Several thousand dollars later they're bald anyways, i just shaved mine.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Just go to Turkey, it actually works. Know plenty that have gone will be going myself once borders reopen if you’re serious no point wasting time with snake oils.

Relique

Just go to Turkey, it actually works. Know plenty that have gone will be going myself once borders reopen if you’re serious no point wasting time with snake oils.
I am assuming you mean for a hair transplant? Why Turkey in particular? I was thinking about overseas options but never did any research on a particular country.

Nizoral is a antifungal shampoo containing ketoconazole and long term use can cause hair loss.
Source:
Cracking Up Reaction GIF

Nah seriously, I work in a Pharmacy and I assume you do given your username so how did you not know this? 🤔

I’m not an actual pharmacist but there are studies on pubmed that go into the effectiveness at nizoral as a hair growth agent. They postulate it as having anti androgenic activity at the topical level. The PO version of the drug is an anti androgen after all.

Top Bottom