• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

egruntz

shelaughz
You are pretty much describing why the first game won many GotY awards.

Yes that is your Nemesis.

Yes we all have one. :)

Awesome. So is he the one and only nemesis I'll have, and he'll keep popping up throughout the game as I take on other orcs? Or can I have multiple? Can he ever die permanently? Are we able to recruit our archnemesis?

Oh and are your nemeses different? Like mine is a guy restored with metal parts and he's called "THE MACHINE." Do you all have "THE MACHINE," or do you guys have unique orcs that cheated death in different ways? Different titles, etc.?

Are the orcs randomly generated? Do they just have 1000+ personalities/voices/diagloues/characters built? This is insane!

Awesome. So is he the one and only nemesis I'll have, and he'll keep popping up throughout the game as I take on other orcs? Or can I have multiple? Can he ever die permanently? Are we able to recruit our archnemesis?

Oh and are your nemeses different? Like mine is a guy restored with metal parts and he's called "THE MACHINE." Do you all have "THE MACHINE," or do you guys have unique orcs that cheated death in different ways? Different titles, etc.?

Are the orcs randomly generated? Do they just have 1000+ personalities/voices/diagloues/characters built? This is insane!

I don’t want to make promises but in the first game once you had your Nemesis that was it

And they are all different. I mean I guess there are only so many names orcs (right?), but each Nemesis evolves with your individual story. That’s what made the first game so amazing. The diversity of Nemesis stories

Dipper145

So in the last act, is there a way to auto resolve battles that I'm missing?

Because all I've heard is how legendary orcs are needed at the end and that's why people are upset about loot boxes, and I can only assume that's the case if you can auto resolve the battles so you need your defense score above the enemies to win. Not that you need legendary orcs for that, I've been having higher scores in all the battles except for at the very start of the act, but yeah... I've done so many defense missions that it really does feel like a grind, I'm not enjoying the process of fighting the boss orcs and making them fight for me as much any more.

Maybe I should just let them break through the front gate so the defenses go faster at least? Unless of course, there's an auto resolve defense option? Just wondering what kind of options I have here.

So am I just missing it or is there no way to command your captains when you aren't physically in the region? A dumb oversight if so. I've had to fast travel to a place, do something, then leave so many times already.

DrBo42

So am I just missing it or is there no way to command your captains when you aren't physically in the region? A dumb oversight if so. I've had to fast travel to a place, do something, then leave so many times already.
Pretty sure there's a dedicated button to view the army of the region you're looking at. If you can't actually manage them from there then you have your answer.

You are pretty much describing why the first game won many GotY awards.

Yes that is your Nemesis.

Yes we all have one. :)

I actually killed mine :( I kept trying to Shame him out of being Iron Willed so I could recruit him, but it never worked, and when I killed him once it seems to have stuck. His slot on the army map got filled and everything, so I'm sure of it.

smurfx

get some go again
does the nemesis show in act 2? don't think i have one. i've had a couple of captains talk like we have met before but i always end up killing them. anyways just finished act 1 and i loved it.

Is there any point in dominating the captains in the Online Vendettas? I do it but I have no clue where they end up or are they on a different menu?

smurfx

get some go again
online vendettas are a lot of fun. i was going after this one guy who was level 18 or around there and this level 23 tank captain ambushed me and was really, really hard to take down. kept flying around the map hurting him little by little and then recovering and avoiding the other captains. dude had a flamethrower so i didn't want to get much closer and he got enraged every time i attacked. finally killed the tank and then easily killed the actual captain i was supposed to go after.

DrBo42

What is the orange bar between health and your lever over the minimap?
Might meter. It's what performs special moves now instead of hit counter.

Yeah it's easier to accomplish than you'd think. Wish we could try it without any grunts and truly solo it.

It's just a way of ending the mission and completing tasks for gear. You don't get them IIRC.

God dammit I been doing it the hard way then... been dominating all the captains...
So much easier to just kill them since you still get the same loot and gold loot box.

Might meter. It's what performs special moves now instead of hit counter.

Yeah it's easier to accomplish than you'd think. Wish we could try it without any grunts and truly solo it.

Yeah, main problem was the Overlord. He kept regenerating health, had an 11 level advantage...annoying.

DrBo42

God dammit I been doing it the hard way then... been dominating all the captains...
So much easier to just kill them since you still get the same loot and gold loot box.
Well there are unlock requirements for legendary vendetta gear in there. Go into inventory and click on the icon to the far right and find the vendetta section. Gives you the requirements to get each one.

Megasoum

Banned
When looking at the quest log, what does it mean when a quest has the kind of blue drop on the right of the list?

Edit: Ah I guess they are doable in the current region?

Well there are unlock requirements for legendary vendetta gear in there. Go into inventory and click on the icon to the far right and find the vendetta section. Gives you the requirements to get each one.

Oh man, that is what I get for barely reading anything! Thanks for the info!

ryseing

Act 2 spoilers

It was awesome to see
Ratbag
again,
and his buddy Ranger
was a nice addition with his Black Speech and what not. The story in this game is pure shite but Monolith does know how to write memorable characters.

I was just gonna make this post. Captured a fort and had to squat to get it since I had all my people installed, just let me waltz in and capture every single point.

Then I get to the overlord and he's this berserker that spawns unlimted adds and is immune to frost and arrows and adapted to both my vaulting and stunning him to get hits in. I was at my wits end on how to beat him but my bodyguard was sleeper OP and took care of him.

He didn't have any great stats or was epic but the dude saved my ass an unbelievable amount of times and tore people apart way beyond his level.

I want to keep him around in every location now.

Their solution for this (the reposition orders) really isn't great. There should have been a perk in the back half of the skill tree to allow for a perma-bodyguard that you can have in every region. The Nemesis system has potential for friendship, not just adversaries!

Speaking of which, I also had a memorable moment with one of my Captains. I was recapturing my fortress from
Bruz
, and I run out of last stands. I thought I was going to have to restart the mission, and then one of my Captains comes in, earning the Savior title. Damn right I promoted him to Overlord. Dude earned it.

I fought a captain named Dush (there was an accent over the u) and it was pronounced "douche"

I went into wraith vision to zoom in on him to hear his name more times than I'd like to admit

A Dush was Nemesis of mine in the first game, I hoping I can find him in SoM and still do that transfer thing.

A Dush was Nemesis of mine in the first game, I hoping I can find him in SoM and still do that transfer thing.

Got one with the name last night after never seeing him in the first game, so its still mixed in there somewhere; not just as the nemesis that gets brought over.
Anyone else run into Kumail Nanjiani's orc yet? I like the guy in some of his roles and all, but this was just awful. The voice acting, the lines, everything about just seems to have come out bad.

Megasoum

Banned
You should see the option after you brand them. Shame, Recurit or Kill.

Ah ok, guess I'm not far enough since I can't brand yet.

Another question... Do Online Vendetta and Nemesis shows up in the Quest log? I got a message telling me I had an online vendetta available but I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Jintor

Feel like nemesis difficulty still isn't enough. I've only died in story missions where they lock me in a box and I can't whip around the corner and devour some guy's soul.

What actions cause time to advance? Because jack all is happening except when one guy managed to run away.

Feel like nemesis difficulty still isn't enough. I've only died in story missions where they lock me in a box and I can't whip around the corner and devour some guy's soul.

What actions cause time to advance? Because jack all is happening except when one guy managed to run away.

Dying or when you go to fast travel 'advance time' is an option.

Megasoum

Banned
So I keep getting a message saying something like "Your save data is not compatible with a previous version of the game and bla bla bla" when I go to the main menu.

1-Is that normal?
2-How do I get rid of it?

So I want to grab this after I finish the original, but I need to know. Are all the missions these follow the path/golem missions? Are those ghul missions still in the game?

I love the game and the nemesis system, but the quests really turn me off.

Dipper145

From what I remember when playing, deaths and doing the nemesis / other non-main missions on the map advance the time. It's pretty much just caused by doing things that there doesn't seem to be any high benefit to actually doing.

Depending on where you're at it's possible it will get more difficult later on/you'll run into a boss that has immunities / adapations to all the usual techniques that make it easy to kill them so quickly. The most difficult sections I've found where you can't just hide around a corner to suck some guys soul and recover HP are the final parts of the sieges in the boss room. It's kind of possible to do it there as well, but just not as often or as easily as elsewhere.

So I want to grab this after I finish the original, but I need to know. Are all the missions these follow the path/golem missions? Are those ghul missions still in the game?

I love the game and the nemesis system, but the quests really turn me off.

I don't remember the first game super well these days anymore, but story missions are generally cutscene, follow a person to an encounter/do something sneaky in an area, and then have a fight there, cutscene. There are creature missions, but none of them are a part of the main story as far as I can remember, they are separate side quests that you don't have to do.

Pheace

Glad I was reading some appendices, I completely didn't remember you could distract by just aiming at a spot with a bow from stealth and pressing G, that helps so much

Jaraghan

2017-10-13_10-54-18_PM.png

So... uh... yeah... (XB1 btw)

Kaversmed

It happens way too often where I'm working on a captain to get his health down to be able to dominate him, and then all of a sudden I decide to use the execution move (habit I guess) against him which then results in me killing off the fucker on the spot instead of dominating him. I feel like you should have more "control" over the decision to dominate or execute since it sometimes can be a bit tricky to hit that "sweet spot".

Also, the option to "Fight to The Death" should just be "Kill" like in SoM. That would be way more satisfactory considering he's already on his knees with no health left. In SoM, "Kill" was also a surefire way to decapitate him and make sure he'd never return again.

Poster#1

Anyone trying to redeem Nvidia code but no success? i'm getting Technical Difficulties message whenever i try to redeem it.

Pheace

Anyone have a list of Tribe Overlord bonuses? Like when the overlord is a Marauder overlord there's Mirian chests to loot and if it's a Feral there's more drake bait (according to the guide)

Fliesen

uhm, i'm kinda stuck in the "The Arena" mission.

My 3rd Champion is lvl 19, has a poison weapon, only takes damage from the back, adapts to me jumping over him after like 25% damage done, isn't affected by stealth, isn't affected by arrows.

His only weakness is "poison" which at this point i can only do via poisoning grog, and i don't think he's in the mood for a drink.
I had to abandon the mission after 6 attempts. The "taunting" really gets on your nerves after a few retries...

:/

I jumped into this even though I haven't played through Shadow of Mordor because people said that the it shouldn't really matter, but I can't shake the feeling that this would be more impactful if I had played through a full game with Talion already.

The beginning is rough, throwing you into a huge battle running around a city, getting new characters quickly introduced without much fanfare. I feel like I jumped into the middle of a book, or a perhaps a better analogy: I jumped right into The Two Towers.

At this point, I'm thinking about sending this back to GameFly and finishing my Shadow of Mordor play through, then maybe giving Shadow of War another shot in a month or two once I'm done with the other fall games.

Kaversmed

I jumped into this even though I haven't played through Shadow of Mordor because people said that the it shouldn't really matter, but I can't shake the feeling that this would be more impactful if I had played through a full game with Talion already.

The beginning is rough, throwing you into a huge battle running around a city, getting new characters quickly introduced without much fanfare. I feel like I jumped into the middle of a book, or a perhaps a better analogy: I jumped right into The Two Towers.

At this point, I'm thinking about sending this back to GameFly and finishing my Shadow of Mordor play through, then maybe giving Shadow of War another shot in a month or two once I'm done with the other fall games.

I get where you're coming from but believe me, you aren't missing out on anything story related really. I played SoM and don't remember shit from that game, but I do agree that the first missions in SoW probably feels a bit jarring for newcomers, considering returning players already got to "know" Talion and Celebrimbor and their relationship (still pretty shallow).

That said, you could still play through SoM since it's a pretty good game but because both SoM and SoW feels much the same in both story, tone and gameplay, there is a big chance you would get tired of the formula. I don't think I would be able to play both games right after each other.

Staf

Wait, they put a skill to automatically pick up loot at the end of a skill tree? What a asshole thing to do.

Fliesen

uhm, i'm kinda stuck in the "The Arena" mission.

My 3rd Champion is lvl 19, has a poison weapon, only takes damage from the back, adapts to me jumping over him after like 25% damage done, isn't affected by stealth, isn't affected by arrows.

His only weakness is "poison" which at this point i can only do via poisoning grog, and i don't think he's in the mood for a drink.
I had to abandon the mission after 6 attempts. The "taunting" really gets on your nerves after a few retries...

:/
awww, not "retrying" the mission, but rather starting it anew gave me new champions, except for the last ...

now his only "weakness" is vs. beasts, but he's also a "beast slayer" who one shotted my caragor... arf

i mean, seriously, i don't know how to beat that guy
i just fought him SUPER conservatively (for like 10 minutes), but after 3 executions he adapts to me leaping over him. he counters executions from the front, and after he lands one hit on me, i'm dead due to his "no chance" trait.

AND FUCK ME FOR HAVING LISTENING TO HIS BULLSHIT TWICE EACH ATTEMPT

Top Bottom