• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War will now launch worldwide on Oct. 10, 2017.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Does the story really look all that much better this time around? I haven't followed this game at all because I beat the first one and its story was so bad (IMO) I lost interest in follow-ups, but if there is evidence that they're working on it for Shadow of War, I might start paying more attention. I liked the atmosphere and nemesis systems alright, I'm just very story-driven.

The trailer looks like its hinting at a bigger overall story, but most of the footage has been more focused on the game's mechanics. I would imagine this is an area they targeted for improvement, although improving on the last game's story wouldn't be difficult.

Delays so close to release date are often not a good sign.

Gameplay stuff always looked a bit off to me as well, like animations were noticably worse than the 1st one.

I hope this ends up being at least as good as the last game tho

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Safe to launch later without RedDead2 now in the fall.

And scorpio too

MikeBison

Third party game ain't delaying for the launch of a niche upgrade console of what's probably their smallest player base (out of the 3).

Few people that went to preview events said the game is in a little bit of a rough state atm. So delay for the same reasons as everyone else, needs more time in the oven.

Nice, it was sandwhiched between Uncharted and Destiny before, which means I probably would have had to skip. I maaay grab it at launch now.

Delays so close to release date are often not a good sign.

Gameplay stuff always looked a bit off to me as well, like animations were noticably worse than the 1st one.

I hope this ends up being at least as good as the last game tho

Is more than 3 months out really "close to release date," though? 5 months really isn't that much further out.

jmartoine

It doesn't matter if they delayed it for Scorpio or to polish it. All that matters is the game is good once it comes out.

I like the gameplay mechanics but the videos they've shown were rough so I'm not surprised it's delayed so soon for just a few months for more polish.

Sounds like they needed more time to work out bugs. Probably also going to spitshine the animations after the amount of flack those've been getting.

So what about Assassins Creed?

Also hopefully this game turns out good, it being LoTR related already makes it interesting.

Seems like better odds to go up against just Assassin's Creed vs. potentially all three of them. Shadow will still beat AC out. AC will likely be end of October or early November.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Shadow will still beat AC out. AC will likely be end of October or early November.

If you are talking sales then I really don't think so, AC is still a massive franchise and the year off will have done the new game a world of good.

Banned
They just fucked themselves. It's gonna get murdered against CoD, Battlefront 2 and Assassin's Creed.

Dynomutt

I must say for it's scope the game looks good but the textures and animations could use some work. This is coming from someone who usually is not uppity about these things. But so much has changed graphically since the last Mordor that this needs to step its game up whether 1080P or 4K native/checker boarding. I have been keeping up with this game since announcement and watched the 88 minute footage of gameplay. If you start at the 56 minute mark the ground, the way the ice shatters, and the way Talion runs could use some touch up. I loved the first game and am not bashing. I am simply saying polish is not a bad thing. Could be another reason why the delayed it.

When was it supposed to launch? I can't imagine this thing turning out well, but then that's what many people thought about the first one too.

DOWN

Banned
I don't get why anyone thinks this is to launch along with Scorpio

It seems more like it needed to escape Destiny 2 being so close, while also getting out before the holiday shooters

timberger

If the delay is just to help Microsoft's Scorpio marketing then that is some serious bullshit for those who couldn't give a fuck about Scorpio ( which is going to be most people who buy the game :/ ).

Gurish

I sense very low hype for this, feeling like the first one was successful only because of lack of competition, the sequel is gonna have a much bigger competition... they just released a 90 min video of gameplay and people barely even noticed it, I also think people were wrong about the visuals not improving after I saw that gameply, it looks much better visually than the first but by this point no one cares and that impression keeps holding strong.

SentryDown

Sounds like they failed Submission and need the extra time to fix the failures

It's too early for that kind of delay, they still have plenty of time to fix submission issues before gold (and even more considering they will probably have a day one patch)

Top Bottom