• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle school teacher asked students to describe how they would kill her for homework

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...dents-to-write-about-how-they-would-kill-her/

A Montgomery County, Md., middle school teacher assigned her English students in four separate classes a story in which they had to describe how they would kill her — and the description had to include at least three gerunds, three infinitives and three participles.

The Kingsview Middle School teacher, Patricia Lorenzen, sent an apology late last year to parents and guardians of students in four of her English classes, saying that she thought the assignment would “be an engaging way to review grammar concepts,” but later, after complaints by parents, she realized that it was inappropriate. By then, however, some of the students had actually completed the assignment, though others did not. No student was penalized for failing to complete the assignment.

Lorenzen did not respond to e-mails or phone calls requesting comment. Kingsview principal James D’Andrea said in an e-mail:

"The teacher stated in the letter to parents that she was trying to engage students in reviewing some grammar concepts. However, she has acknowledged that she used poor judgment with this assignment, and it absolutely should not have occurred. She has apologized to parents and there have been no further issues regarding her assignments. Since this is a personnel matter, I can’t say more at this time. When this occurred more than two months ago, I personally apologized on behalf of the school to the parents who contacted me. The matter has settled down since that time."

I dunno, I'd think it would be kind of fun exercise but there is probably some
kWOZOAn.png
kid who would just take it waaay too far.

_Ryo_

Maybe it's just me but this doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal?

I mean, in creative writing in HS we got all kinds of weird assignments... I wrote a story about suffering and contemplating suicide, and that was far from the darkest of stories handed in. And in AP English we read and discussed Poe and Lovecraft.

And there's your problem: middle school. If they were upper high school or A level kids this would have been absolutely fine. Know your audience is the lesson here.

And there's your problem: middle school. If they were upper high school or A level kids this would have been absolutely fine. Know your audience is the lesson here.

This would have NEVER been fine anywhere. There was a shooting at my middle school (well before I was old enough) where a student brought a gun to class and killed 2 students and a teacher. While I went there, every year I went there, one of my teachers would take us outside to the memorial of the shooting on the day it happened for a moment of silence. My mom is a school teacher. What would you think if you read the responses students gave your mother on how they would kill her? This is something that should NEVER be joked about.

_Ryo_

This would have NEVER been fine anywhere. There was a shooting at my middle school (well before I was old enough) where a student brought a gun to class and killed 2 students and a teacher. While I went there, every year I went there, one of my teachers would take us outside to the memorial of the shooting on the day it happened for a moment of silence. My mom is a school teacher. What would you think if you read the responses students gave your mother on how they would kill her? This is something that should NEVER be joked about.

It was a critical writing assignment, not a joke?

Rembrandt

Banned

I mean, in creative writing in HS we got all kinds of weird assignments... I wrote a story about suffering and contemplating suicide, and that was far from the darkest of stories handed in. And in AP English we read and discussed Poe and Lovecraft.

You're comparing AP English to middle school English. Not a real apt comparison.

BajiBoxer

Banned
No problem with the assignment other than it being a middle school grammar exercise. Seems a bit too dark and tone deaf for a bunch of 13 year olds.

Floridian

If the teacher has 4 limbs how can you leave her with 2 limbs by ripping off 3 limbs?

Take 3 limbs off, cut 1/3 of a limb from each of those 3, add the 1/3 limb's to each other to form a separate limb, then tape/stitch that limb to the body. 1 + 1 = 2.

studyguy

Well at least she didn't have sex with the kids too like some other nutty teachers.
Least she wasn't that crazy. Just fulfill my murder fantasies crazy.

commedieu

Banned

and all in all, it was probably a desperate attempt to get the kids engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom