• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway Games Inc. Sign Publishing Agreement for Unreal Franchise & Area 51 delayed

cja

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040728/285861_1.html

"Securing the rights to publish the next three Unreal titles is an important accomplishment for Midway, particularly in light of the competition we faced to secure this franchise. With these titles, we are entering the premium PC market with one of the most respected brands in the industry and adding established content to our product portfolio for the next generation of consoles. We look forward to growing the Unreal franchise with our partners at Epic Games both in the PC and console videogame markets. We plan to announce several exciting details in the near future regarding our plans for this franchise, including innovative marketing and promotional campaigns,"

"We are shifting Area 51 into 2005 as we believe it is a prudent strategic move from a competitive positioning standpoint. Area 51 is a superb game, and we believe it will receive much more attention in a launch period with comparatively less crowding, such as the first half of 2005.

Matt

Wow. While both are very smart moves, one has to wonder how the hell Midway managed to pull Unreal away from Atari.

Matt said:
Wow. While both are very smart moves, one has to wonder how the hell Midway managed to pull Unreal away from Atari.
Anything can happen when you are in financial trouble. How well has UT2k4 been doing anyways? Anyone know?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Translation: Halo 2, Killzone, Half-Life 2, and Doom 3 are too hot to handle.

Smart move though, nobody can say that we need another FPS coming out this Fall.

element

Matt said:
Epic owns anything Unreal, so they can make deals with who ever they want.

Of all the publishers to sign with...Midway??? I know they're trying to turn the ship around, but Midway isn't exactly first-tier.

Ferrarisimo said:
Of all the publishers to sign with...Midway??? I know they're trying to turn the ship around, but Midway isn't exactly first-tier.

Well the fact that Midway is really in need of some hits probably gives them a lot more motivation to come up with the a pretty favorable deal for Epic, as opposed to someone like EA. I mean Unreal stands out a lot more in Midway's release list than it ever would in EA's lineup.

I know that, but could they really outbid Atari, or was it something else?

Well Atari is not exactly in the greatest shape so it's not hard to imagine that someone could offer about the same as Atari. But I do get the feeling it might have been something else from the press release, since the first Epic sasy is that "Midway gets it", which kind of implies "Atari doesn't get it". And of course they do go on to praise Midway's marketing efforts (though honest I can't really remember anything specifically great about Midway's marketing).

element

Matt said:
I know that, but could they really outbid Atari, or was it something else?
probably was a royalty rate. If Epic got a higher royalty rate with Midway then Atari, I'd go with Midway and count my money after the game sells.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wow midway are definitely on their way back up the developer food chain, hopefully atari are on their way down, though after Driv3rs sales, i doubt it.

Top Bottom