• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9: No. 0 Potential DLC Teaser

NEO0MJ

Man, why do you have to make me hate this game before it's even out?!

Another thing he can hold over fans desperate for another Mega Man game, despite playing like two dozen of them already

Meanwhile, in the world of Viewtiful Joe clones...*tumbleweed blows by*

I'D LIKE TO BE EXPLOITED TO, GUYS

I don't know who could make another VJ game, the sequels were just not as good without Kamiya behind them.

duckroll

I don't know who could make another VJ game, the sequels were just not as good without Kamiya behind them.

I don't think we need more VJ honestly. It's a really good game, and had unique stuff for a sidescrolling action game, so it having existed is enough. What I think we do need more of is original sidescrolling action concepts. Successful new original concepts in that genre space would be far more interesting than nostalgia hooks and trying to replicate and duplicate past successes imo.

Crocodile

If you don't see an issue with planning DLC even before the game is barely playable then i have nothing to say to you.

For games that are to include DLC, that stuff is always planned before the game comes out. It's the only way that makes sense because this is stuff you have to planned way out in advance. The mere act of planning or even working on DLC before a game comes out is a non-issue. It's only an issue when they complete the material before the game actually comes out but rather than include it with the actual game they piecemeal it out to sell for more money. Then it becomes douchey. That could happen here but we have no proof yet that will happen here. All that being said, while companies are planning out DLC before games come out, they usually don't let you know about it so this is weird. Also if they actually are planning on crowdfunding this, they can't go back and later charge for this content (at least without a gracious free period at least).

nynt9

For games that are to include DLC, that stuff is always planned before the game comes out. It's the only way that makes sense because this is stuff you have to planned way out in advance. The mere act of planning or even working on DLC before a game comes out is a non-issue. It's only an issue when they complete the material before the game actually comes out but rather than include it with the actual game they piecemeal it out to sell for more money. Then it becomes douchey. That could happen here but we have no proof that will happen here. All that being said, while companies are planning out DLC before games come out, they usually don't let you know about it so this is weird. Also if they actually are planning on crowdfunding this, they can't go back and later charge for this content (at least without a gracious free period at least).

I think you're missing the distinction between "before the game is out" and "while the game is still in conception and nowhere near even completion".

Any ideas they come up with right now they can just include in the game itself. It's a very thin line between limiting your scope to what you can achieve (which clearly Inafune has no cares for, see the anime and whatnot) and artificially limiting your scope so that you can just ship a minimal product then sell everything else later for more money.

duckroll

Any ideas they come up with right now they can just include in the game itself. It's a very thin line between limiting your scope to what you can achieve (which clearly Inafune has no cares for, see the anime and whatnot) and artificially limiting your scope so that you can just ship a minimal product then sell everything else later for more money.

That's not really how any sort of software development works. Features and content have to be budgeted for realistically based on the resource requirements expected for execution. If you decide to put whatever ideas you have into project without any limitations, you either have unlimited budget and time, or you will end up realizing that you are unable to meet any of the deadlines or complete any of your objectives with the resources you have.

Ideas are generally free. Making ideas into reality is not.

Tizoc

0 bucks. After over 20 of them, I don't really think there's a desperate need in the world for yet another side scrolling Mega Man clone. If it's cool when it's done maybe I'll buy it.

Try telling that to the Megaman fans @_@

Ah well I'll grab this on Vita first and if I like it enough 3DS too.

nynt9

That's not really how any sort of software development works. Features and content have to be budgeted for realistically based on the resource requirements expected for execution. If you decide to put whatever ideas you have into project without any limitations, you either have unlimited budget and time, or you will end up realizing that you are unable to meet any of the deadlines or complete any of your objectives with the resources you have.

Ideas are generally free. Making ideas into reality is not.

I understand that, I've been in software development teams, but Inafune has demonstrated that he has absolutely no restraint when it comes to scope creep when it comes to this project.

I understand what you're saying, but surely you understand me when I say it's a thin line.

Pompadour

For games that are to include DLC, that stuff is always planned before the game comes out. It's the only way that makes sense because this is stuff you have to planned way out in advance. The mere act of planning or even working on DLC before a game comes out is a non-issue. It's only an issue when they complete the material before the game actually comes out but rather than include it with the actual game they piecemeal it out to sell for more money. Then it becomes douchey. That could happen here but we have no proof yet that will happen here. All that being said, while companies are planning out DLC before games come out, they usually don't let you know about it so this is weird. Also if they actually are planning on crowdfunding this, they can't go back and later charge for this content (at least without a gracious free period at least).

I agree with most of your comment aside from the "charging for stuff they completed before launch part." Content, regardless of when it was completed, costs money. If a developer gets funding to create paid DLC, releasing it for free because it was ready for launch just increases development costs.

Launch DLC exists because people are most willing to buy DLC right after the game comes out during the "honeymoon period." Arguing the morality of launch DLC is silly. There's only two questions one should ask themselves to decide if what they're buying is a fair deal.

1) Is the game worth the price I paid for it?
2) Is the DLC worth the price I paid for it?

duckroll

I understand that, I've been in software development teams, but Inafune has demonstrated that he has absolutely no restraint when it comes to scope creep when it comes to this project.

I understand what you're saying, but surely you understand me when I say it's a thin line.

He's a business man trying to use everything he can to his advantage in getting as much money as possible for the development of game he is producing. The more money he can get from various sources, the more resources he has for his business enterprise.

He wants to make Mighty No. 9 into a big brand with lots of other ever expanding business possibilities. To do that he has to leverage on the nostalgia diehard fans have for Mega Man, Mega Man X, Zero, and various other characters made famous by the company he used to work at. If fans are willing to continue to buy into his promises and give him more money, that means his sales pitch is working.

I don't think there's a thin line at all. In fact, I don't think there's a line. I think it's all just business in the end. Of course some people are going to feel betrayed because they think this was some real passion project instead of a commercial venture being spring boarded by crowdfunding. But I doubt Inafune really cares about them! (lol)

jett

D-Member
He's a business man trying to use everything he can to his advantage in getting as much money as possible for the development of game he is producing. The more money he can get from various sources, the more resources he has for his business enterprise.

He wants to make Mighty No. 9 into a big brand with lots of other ever expanding business possibilities. To do that he has to leverage on the nostalgia diehard fans have for Mega Man, Mega Man X, Zero, and various other characters made famous by the company he used to work at. If fans are willing to continue to buy into his promises and give him more money, that means his sales pitch is working.

I don't think there's a thin line at all. In fact, I don't think there's a line. I think it's all just business in the end. Of course some people are going to feel betrayed because they think this was some real passion project instead of a commercial venture being spring boarded by crowdfunding. But I doubt Inafune really cares about them! (lol)
Obligatory

jZbozaZVX8Iff.png

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Capcom really should have motioned to sue a long ass time ago, public ill-will be damned. Their current inaction is akin to abandoning the mark anyway really.

Syril

Capcom really should have motioned to sue a long ass time ago, public ill-will be damned. Their current inaction is akin to abandoning the mark anyway really.
Capcom learned in the 90s that you can't sue someone for making a ripoff when they tried to sue over Fighter's History.

Crocodile

I think you're missing the distinction between "before the game is out" and "while the game is still in conception and nowhere near even completion".

Adding characters to your scenario outside the realm of your original specifications is a great way to either go over budget and/or delay your game. I'm not sure when in 2015 they actually intend to ship but coming up with ideas/concepts that you want to add to your game during development but don't have the time or money to do so isn't really uncommon. I really do feel though they should actually just ship the game before asking for more crowdfunding money though.

I have no idea why you are bringing the TV show up though. No crowfunding money is going to that and I'd imagine the development teams involvement in that is minimal.

I agree with most of your comment aside from the "charging for stuff they completed before launch part." Content, regardless of when it was completed, costs money. If a developer gets funding to create paid DLC, releasing it for free because it was ready for launch just increases development costs.

Launch DLC exists because people are most willing to buy DLC right after the game comes out during the "honeymoon period." Arguing the morality of launch DLC is silly. There's only two questions one should ask themselves to decide if what they're buying is a fair deal.

1) Is the game worth the price I paid for it?
2) Is the DLC worth the price I paid for it?

I think you misunderstood what I said.I was saying if the DLC is CROWDFUNDED then you want to offer the DLC for free (at least for a period of time to encourage downloads and reward those more invested probably not forever) since development has already been paid for. Usually a publisher foots the cost for DLC and then they charge money for it to recoup their costs. Via crowdfunding, you are already getting money from the consumer.

I am aware that DLC sales are best when a game is new, especially with games for little replay value. I totally understand its in the best interest of the publisher/developer and I don't begrudge them for that. It doesn't mean I have to like the piecemeal approach from the perspective of a consumer.

L Thammy

Yeah, I'm with BY2K. Looks a lot like Omega Zero, or even EXE Zero.

Also your avatar reminds me of Homer Simpson now.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Capcom learned in the 90s that you can't sue someone for making a ripoff when they tried to sue over Fighter's History.

Very different era back then, and even if they obviously didnt win, you still have to make the effort to show you'd go after such things to slightly scare other vultures off. Nintendo "urging" Giana Sisters to be taken off sale for instance. Thats ignoring the elephant in the boss room in this being a previous employee trying to take a mark with him without ever actually paying for the thing.

It sets a pretty ridiculous precedent for all games and characters really. Make a total clone, no repercussions. There was enough stink about that sort of thing in the mobile space with things like Zynga nicking Tiny Tower and other such cases. But if you can project yourself as "the hero", which Inafune has PR firms working on through videos, press releases and events, its fine and cheered on instead.

Pizza

This doesnt seem that surprising, he's obviously doing a lot of world building considering he's doing both an animated series and voice acted game

number zero could be something that spun out of an idea with the show and hes making rough concepts to judge interest. Seeing as the entirety of TMN9 is fan-funded its cool that hes judging insterest for concepts of a possible dlc that may not even be made for awhile.

If its successful then the character may be written into the show as well, which would make the eventual dlc even more rad if the show is good.

I actually havent backed any money for TMN9 but ive been following it with great excitement

Very different era back then, and even if they obviously didnt win, you still have to make the effort to show you'd go after such things to slightly scare other vultures off. Nintendo "urging" Giana Sisters to be taken off sale for instance. Thats ignoring the elephant in the boss room in this being a previous employee trying to take a mark with him without ever actually paying for the thing.

It sets a pretty ridiculous precedent for all games and characters really. Make a total clone, no repercussions. There was enough stink about that sort of thing in the mobile space with things like Zynga nicking Tiny Tower and other such cases. But if you can project yourself as "the hero", which Inafune has PR firms working on through videos, press releases and events, its fine and cheered on instead.

Well Capcom is clearly not interested in doing anything of note with the true IP anytime soon so course fans aren't going to feel bad about Inafune producing a blatant clone.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Well Capcom is clearly not interested in doing anything of note with the true IP anytime soon so course fans aren't going to feel bad about Inafune producing a blatant clone.

I like how people are still willing to paint Capcom as the badguy after 2 crowd funding campaigns with no demo and hints at a 3rd one

NEO0MJ

I don't think we need more VJ honestly. It's a really good game, and had unique stuff for a sidescrolling action game, so it having existed is enough. What I think we do need more of is original sidescrolling action concepts. Successful new original concepts in that genre space would be far more interesting than nostalgia hooks and trying to replicate and duplicate past successes imo.

The world definetly needs some new new side scrolling action games. Muramasa was too repetitive for me to enjoy.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I think Viewtiful Joe 3 could exist just to see the games progression towards a co-op sidescroller action game finally realized.

I think Viewtiful Joe has the potential to be an interesting Co-op game along the lines of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Tons of powers that are used for puzzle solving that could be divided evenly across two playable characters

I like how people are still willing to paint Capcom as the badguy after 2 crowd funding campaigns with no demo and hints at a 3rd one

I'm indifferent toward Inafune's actions with MN9. A potential market was created when Megaman projects fell of the wayside and he took advantage of it. What Kamiya said about him was absolutely right.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
They need to stop this, just release the damn game first.

The game was always dated for April 2015. They have released a playable demo and are also very likely ahead of schedule. Lets wait until next year before we start bitching.

Cmagus

This.

As a huge Mega Man fan, I'd take "spiritual successor/clone" over nothing.

Fuck Capcom.
This how I feel and I donated enough for a copy of the game when it's done. I'm not a fan of the recent stuff they are doing with more funding but I'm happy with just a copy of the game at this point.

Capcom clearly doesn't care anymore so if this is the closest thing I can get then I'm for it.

Top Bottom