• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 review thread

HotHamBoy

65/100 is above average right?

God, if only. 7/10 is "average" on most review scales.

I do feel bad for all the backers. You know, in most kickstarter horror stories it's a matter of inexperienced developers underestimating scope and uninformed backers. But you can't fault the backers, here. This is an iconic figure, an experienced team and a project intended to clone a beloved, historic and languished franchise that this guy fathered.

It should have gone smoothly.

But don't get down on kickstarter, folks. We still have many success stories and many more to come. Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero is coming in September! And I do believe Bloodstained will deliver; everything they've been showing has looked fantastic and it's coming along much faster.

beril

I mean, that's awesome that you managed that. And great that your game was well recieved. But you say less than a percent of $4million, which would peg you below $40k? You realize this is barely a living wage for most people depending where they live? A passion project for indie devs living far below their means is going to have wildly different budget than a dev team with veterans renting studio space and equipment for a few years. And this is no way talking down to your game, but does the scale even compare?

I know you didn't intend your post to be taken seriously, but it's things like these that cloud the general public's ideas of how a game budget directly corrolates to quality.

I was mostly being cheaky, but I think I calculated the cost of the first four releases of GC1 to about $30k, including my very low living expenses and some development hardware and other external costs. Obviously that does in no way correlate to a ful team with proper salaries, but still, anyone claiming that 4M is not a shitton of money is kidding themselves.

6SrdCUj.jpg
All the hype this game had when it was announced. Every Mega Man fan's hopes and dreams.

It's almost poetic just how much of a colossal failure this game turned out to be.

Gandalf

I'm really not surprised at the scores after watching that gameplay recently... looked boring and just bang average.

Number_6

I'm still surprised that they spent four million dollars, three years and multiple delays, and they released a four hour campaign that looks like shit. What have they been spending their time doing?

And to think, Mega Man 2 was made in just a few months, with the staff giving their own time to the project.

Arkanius

This crashed harder than the Heidenburg.

Damn this is sad, I had such high hopes for this, the super early demo looked solid but now everything looks janky, unshaded and unfinished as heck.

Platform parity woes?

El-Suave

The good thing is my mind is somehow telling me I'm getting it for free on PS4 because I backed the Kickstarter back in the day. Of course it's not free but shhhh... I don't want to think about that.

Spaghetti

Seems middle of the road, as expected. Not horrible, just mediocre and not really enough.

False equivalency to other Kickstarter games (Bloodstained, Yooka-Laylee, Shenmue III) are totally bullshit though. Inafune is a hack who was more interested in launching a franchise, the project leads on MN9 are a pair of no-name Inafune lackeys, and the Kickstarter was bloated with extra platforms and useless features. The game lacked focus, and suffered from poor ideas and execution as a result.

It has nothing to do with Kickstarter as a platform. It's all on Inafune for trading on his inflated reputation and status as "father of Mega Man", and people buying the bullshit hucksterism that somehow saw him rise through the ranks of Capcom as a producer, not a director or a developer.

I put 40 bucks towards this and regret it like it was more than that. Was going to give away my code on Gaf, but I'm not going to inflict that pain on a fellow human being. Here's hoping the soundtrack is atleast somewhat decent.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Watching that final boss battle, holy shit I can see why those numbers were handed out. Such an uninspired fight where you can literally spam an attack to become invincible. How does that even stay in the game? How is it in such a state? Just...why.

Intel_89

Gunman Clive. Obviously our situations are very different and the games are probably judged a bit differently for a number of reasons, but at least my metascores is in the 80s.

I was doing it full time, but living extremely cheap, so obviously it doesn't compare to proper salaries.

Go beril! Can't wait to back Gunman Clive 3
let it happen :(

Yes but indie development has flexibility which larger studios don't. It's ultimately a question of who is using the money and how. A small team not working on any other projects and dedicated to making a single game they own over a longer period of time can make money stretch. A studio contracted to make a game for someone else, having to consider the overhead of their staff and manage a schedule to ensure they can continue to divide their resources to different projects to keep operating, will have very different economic division.
Mismanagement is mismanagement no matter the team size, indie, AAA, etc.

Money matters no matter who you are and is relevant to the discussion. You can cite how people equate money with quality as being unimportant but the reality is that any number of cogs in the machine of gamedev can be affected if funds are mismanaged or there simply aren't enough.

It's not just a case of money - it's money vs sacrifice. Indies like myself do sacrifice our time, our own money and our drive to finish our games. If you aren't willing to make sacrifices and if you suck at management of funds, your game will suffer as a result.

You don't always need to sacrifice but funding and management go hand in hand. With proper management, you can stretch every dollar for a mile and directly impact the quality of the product.

I don't believe anyone was misled or swindled with this project, but enough red flags were present in the Kickstarter to stay far far away from this game quite a distance.

Buggy Loop

Damn, i didnt back it because i had already enough games backed already and i was in school, but this sad that it turned out to be crap.

My next fear of crap reviews (that i backed) : Bloodstained & Star Citizen

A few hours late, but our review's just gone live as well. 6/10, I'm afraid:

Mighty No. 9 appears to be caught in two minds about whether it wants to make a Mega Man-style game for novices or veterans, and that indecision unfortunately prevents it from being anything close to mighty. Combine the release's well-meaning but misguided attempts at accessibility with sub-par graphics, puzzles, and an insane difficulty spike towards the end, and you end up with a title that's not very mega at all.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/mighty_no_9

Gunman Clive. Obviously our situations are very different and the games are probably judged a bit differently for a number of reasons, but at least my metascores is in the 80s.

I was doing it full time, but living extremely cheap, so obviously it doesn't compare to proper salaries.
Yo, that game looks beautiful. Great job.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is it safe to say that Inafune's reputation is completely ruined at this point?

For some of us, he never had a reputation. You guys that kickstarted in the vain hope of getting a Megaman only have yourselves to blame. Especially after how he attempted to run Capcom into the ground.
Only for themselves to finish the job

The one good thing I'll say of Inafune is that he gave us Dead Rising before he bounced from Capcom.

Buggy Loop said:
Bloodstained

That should be better because IGA at least has a decent track-record and only does one genre (the one he "created"/Metroidvania's), plus their kickstarter seemed reasonable, way more than Mighty Number Two's did.

Raitaro

Jeez.

Quick question up front for those that have seen/played more of it: Is the music at least good? I mean even with the gameplay being disappointing, the pedigree behind the soundtrack is enough to expect at least some catchy Shovel Knight quality tunes, no?

But yeah...sigh...what a colossal 180 with this game from seemingly being the long awaited revival of Mega Man style games to becoming a case study for Kickstarters gone wrong despite looking promising in most ways.

The biggest problem here is that Inafune and Inti Creates can actually make solid games it seems, or at least decently looking and playing ones, but somehow for this game - their so-called dream project for the fans - they seemed to have cut corners wherever they could (possibly because of being busy with said other projects ironically).

What a shame, what a shame. I'm not even bitter about my donation, just about the fact that this game did not turn out better. We really could have used a great Mega Man style run and gun game...

Edit: forgot about how this game is supposed to be the starting point of a larger Mighty No. 9 brand including an anime and sequels, at least as far as Inafune's intentions are concerned. I can't help but wonder if any of that will come to light after these reviews (and on that note, how well the game will do for them, if at all).

Edit 2: I'm also curious how the 8-4 play crew will look back on their effort to help hype this game during the Kickstarter. I'm sure their intentions were earnest and that at the time, every sign was pointing to "quality game incoming" but still, this must leave them soured as well to some degree I suspect.

I was mostly being cheaky, but I think I calculated the cost of the first four releases of GC1 to about $30k, including my very low living expenses and some development hardware and other external costs. Obviously that does in no way correlate to a ful team with proper salaries, but still, anyone claiming that 4M is not a shitton of money is kidding themselves.

Bullshit.

$4 million is more than what they asked for.

Please stop posting 'only' 4 million, it's just as bad as the 'where did the money go' posts.
Context is immensely important in this conversation.

If I saw $4 million deposited into my bank account tomorrow as a middle-class worker, you can sure as hell bet I will think that's a fuck-ton of money. But again, context.

Anyone with a vague understanding of how laborious and involved game development is on this level would have been worried with this sub-4 million budget attached for the project of this scale.

Did they bite off more than they can chew? Absolutely. Did they horribly budget and plan for all of these platforms and features? Without a doubt.

But with a team and producer of this pedigree, a full team development cycle of 2-3 years, about 8+ platforms to develop/port/program/test for, online features and gameplay across all of them to test and support, the fulfillment of the of all the various Kickstarter tier rewards, as well as the 10% of kickstarter profit it paid as a fee, $4 million suddenly begins evaporating like a puddle on the sidewalk during hot and sunny day.

What is a "fuck-ton" of money to us, is barely going to squeeze a title of such ambition out the door without notable compromise.

Dremark

Banned
No they didn't. They stopped making new Mega Man games because there wasn't a producer in Capcom interested in making more of them. That's all.

Megaman ZX - 2006
Megaman Star Force - 2006
Megaman ZX Advent - 2007
Megaman Star Force 2 - 2007
Megaman 9 - 2008
Megaman Star Force 3 - 2008
Rockman EXE Operate Shooting Star - 2009
Megaman 10 - 2010

Guess when Inafune quit Capcom? 2010. :p

The narrative that poor Inafune couldn't make Megaman games anymore because Capcom didn't want to let him make them is not an accurate narrative at all.

It seems pretty well established that Inafune called the shots on what got made and what didn't at Capcom during that point of his career. Unless he fell out of power prior to leaving he should have been able to do what he wanted.

Narroo

Mismanagement is mismanagement no matter the team size, indie, AAA, etc.

Money matters no matter who you are and is relevant to the discussion. You can cite how people equate money with quality as being unimportant but the reality is that any number of cogs in the machine of gamedev can be affected if funds are mismanaged or there simply aren't enough.

It's not just a case of money - it's money vs sacrifice. Indies like myself do sacrifice our time, our own money and our drive to finish our games. If you aren't willing to make sacrifices and if you suck at management of funds, your game will suffer as a result.

You don't always need to sacrifice but funding and management go hand in hand. With proper management, you can stretch every dollar for a mile and directly impact the quality of the product.

I don't believe anyone was misled or swindled with this project, but enough red flags were present in the Kickstarter to stay far far away from this game quite a distance.

It's been bothering me that people call Inufane a huckster. Yes, obviously there was a good amount of poor decision making going on, or we wouldn't be here, but I fail to see how he's "scammed" anyone, unless making a full game with all the promised features is a scam because it doesn't look like the pitch mockups? If it's a scam, it's a pretty poor one.

I would like to point out though, the base game is only a $900K budget game, not the $4 Million game everyone thinks it is. Yes, it did get $4 Million, but stretch goals funds in Kick starters usually go to the stretch goals. Granted, some of those goals seem kind of minor, but others are pretty major - publishing on different platforms can be pricey, since supposedly the Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft charge incredibly high fees to publish games. Either way, stretch goal money in a well made kickstarter doesn't necessarily get budgeted back into the base game to extend it's scope: That's how disasters happen.

Honestly, I think the main issues here are poor communication during Kickstarter campaign, poorly chosen stretch goals, and just some lack of talent. Combine that with either some bad luck or a few bad behind-the-scenes decisions, you get a bit of a train wreck.

Considering though, that they actually released the game as promised, with all features, and that the only issue really is that it didn't come out that well, it's leagues better than other kickstarters that never released. Remember that Ant Colony game? The developer there actually admitted that the funds went to Strippers and bear. Now that was a scam.

Demoskinos

That's too bad I love when I'm wrong about something (like DOOM) and it turns out to be secretly really good instead. This hitting exactly how I thought it would unfortunately.

nynt9

If I saw $4 million deposited into my bank account tomorrow as a middle-class worker, you can sure as hell bet I will think that's a fuck-ton of money. But again, context.

Anyone with a vague understanding of how laborious and involved game development is on this level would have been worried with this sub-4 million budget attached for the project of this scale.

Did they bite off more than they can chew? Absolutely. Did they horribly budget and plan for all of these platforms and features? Without a doubt.

But with a team and producer of this pedigree, a full team development cycle of 2-3 years, about 8+ platforms to develop/port/program/test for, online features and gameplay across all of them to test and support, the fulfillment of the of all the various Kickstarter tier rewards, as well as the 10% of kickstarter profit it paid as a fee, $4 million suddenly begins evaporating like a puddle on the sidewalk during hot and sunny day.

What is a "fuck-ton" of money to us, is barely going to squeeze a title of such ambition out the door without notable compromise.

There are other developers who have done a lot more with a lot less.

For some of us, he never had a reputation. You guys that kickstarted in the vain hope of getting a Megaman only have yourselves to blame. Especially after how he attempted to run Capcom into the ground.
Only for themselves to finish the job

The one good thing I'll say of Inafune is that he gave us Dead Rising before he bounced from Capcom.

That should be better because IGA at least has a decent track-record and only does one genre (the one he "created"/Metroidvania's), plus their kickstarter seemed reasonable, way more than Mighty Number Two's did.

The Bloodstained Kickstarter was done by the same guy who did Might No. 9's Kickstarter. Regardless of Inafunes' history the Kickstarter came out at the right time and looked promising just like Bloodstained. He knows how to sell a Kickstarter. I think his name is Ben Judd.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Quick question up front for those that have seen/played more of it: Is the music at least good? I mean even with the gameplay being disappointing, the pedigree behind the soundtrack is enough to expect at least some catchy Shovel Knight quality tunes, no?

The tunes are good, the arrangements/production generally aren't anything special. There are chiptune versions of all the tracks and I think they're the ideal format for these tunes

MaLDo

So your argument is Inafune doesn't know the context, right?

My review over at Saving Content:

3 out of 5.

http://www.savingcontent.com/2016/06/20/mighty-no-9-review/

I think there is a solid foundation for a shooting/platforming type game here and it clearly has some great elements to it. It doesn’t quite invoke any originality though neither from a gameplay perspective or even a visual one as, but as a whole and for the price of $19.99, I think it’s suitable. I wanted to come off having beaten Mighty No. 9 feeling hugely satisfied and having a blast the entire time. Sadly the sum of my experience is that what is there is good, but this isn’t called Good No. 9, it’s Mighty and sadly I don’t think that describes my experience with the game at all.

Overall about what I expected. It's good/decent and at some very few moments feels great, but it just doesn't hold those moments very long. I was enthralled with Shovel Knight my entire playthrough, this feels like it barely holds it together. What a shame.

Balb

I will consider my Kickstarter contribution worth it if a real Mega Man or Mega Man X game somehow comes out of all this. Otherwise...man...

It's been bothering me that people call Inufane a huckster. Yes, obviously there was a good amount of poor decision making going on, or we wouldn't be here, but I fail to see how he's "scammed" anyone, unless making a full game with all the promised features is a scam because it doesn't look like the pitch mockups? If it's a scam, it's a pretty poor one.

I would like to point out though, the base game is only a $900K budget game, not the $4 Million game everyone thinks it is. Yes, it did get $4 Million, but stretch goals funds in Kick starters usually go to the stretch goals. Granted, some of those goals seem kind of minor, but others are pretty major - publishing on different platforms can be pricey, since supposedly the Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft charge incredibly high fees to publish games. Either way, stretch goal money in a well made kickstarter doesn't necessarily get budgeted back into the base game to extend it's scope: That's how disasters happen.

Honestly, I think the main issues here are poor communication during Kickstarter campaign, poorly chosen stretch goals, and just some lack of talent. Combine that with either some bad luck or a few bad behind-the-scenes decisions, you get a bit of a train wreck.

Considering though, that they actually released the game as promised, with all features, and that the only issue really is that it didn't come out that well, it's leagues better than other kickstarters that never released. Remember that Ant Colony game? The developer there actually admitted that the funds went to Strippers and bear. Now that was a scam.
Oh I don't think he scammed anyone. I said as much (although I don't think you were directly speaking to me on that part).

Communication is one thing but it was clear from the get-go he literally didn't have a clue what he was doing.

4m is a lot of money, but for what he was promising along with his complete lack of "how to" it was a mess.

There are other developers who have done a lot more with a lot less.
Scope matters. It was clear from the campaign he didn't know what he was doing.

Meffer

Are people really blaming the "mere" $4m they got for the quality of the game? They fucked up. End of story.

Yeah that's what I'm feeling too. Bad art direction, bad design and terrible final boss and ending. There are amazing games that were funded with less.

Top Bottom