• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos is Going on Real Time with Bill Maher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Bill Maher's friends with Ann Coulter, and she's basically Milo Yiannopolos with a bit more dignity. So why is anyone surprised?

If you think that people watching Real Time are going to drop all their liberal leanings and go full Nazi because Milo was a sleazly charming person then I would say you aren't respecting the audience enough. What about the people who tuned into Maher's show to see Milo and decided that Bill had some strong points about Trump? Milo is a very influential person to the alt right, which is the only reason he got on to Bill's show in the first place. He extended an olive branch to Milo for this reason to have a conversation that would hit his crowd. Granted I don't think that the interview he had with Milo hard on the horrible shit he's done in the past, but if even a few Milo fans decided to have some respect for one of the most progressive talkshow hosts on TV then I think it was a success.

It's weird the hills that people choose to die on. I really didn't think that the "More Nazi's should be on TV because I respect the audience too much to ever listen to a Nazi" hill would be so popular, but here we are.

BADMAN

I'll quote myself:

Well if we are comparing both sides then yes, you are completely correct, /r/the_donald is a terrible echo chamber that shoves aside intellectualism for a quasi-religious worship of a 70 year old clown. But our side is stronger than that. I believe that the reason they despise liberals is that they don't feel comfortable around our need to include everyone without offending them. And because we are so anti offensive we come off as touchy feely assholes. It's the classic bleeding heart liberal attack. I think the only way to remedy that is to take ourselves less seriously. Be open to a good off colored joke and run with it. Not to mention going full bleeding heart comes off as patronizing to the people you are trying hard not to offend.

I just want to treat everyone as equals as long as they have no violent tendencies towards others. Instead of chastising others for saying offensive things I'd rather treat it as a cringe case, as long as they aren't directing it towards a specific person, which is fucked. I believe that until we can stop attacking people for being asses, we will always turn them away from our side of thinking.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
"You remind me of a young, gay, alive Christopher Hitchens"

I don't even dislike Bill Maher but man that is a terrible comparison and not at all accurate.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So was this a circle jerk between a libertarian and a nazi about how college kids are special snowflakes who need safe spaces, like I predicted it would be?

Milo talking about men raping kids in girl's bathrooms.
Maher: "That's reasonable".

Yeah, whatever respect I have for Maher is gone now.

Sianos

Speaking of the alt-right and how important it is that they be provided a platform, it baffles me how unfamiliar those who stand up for them and their platform are about what the alt-right's written beliefs actually are. I feel like the people who play off the alt-right as a bunch of goofballs should be forced to read some of the many disgusting posts to get an idea what they actually stand for, then they should be grilled about whether they support each individual line. Because clearly giving these hateful bastards exposure on their own terms isn't working, so let's drag the cockroaches out into sun ourselves, shall we?

This was Bill's equivalent of this moment:

giphy.gif
So it was a fluff piece. Bill, you are weak sauce. Look at all the people in this thread who have to eat crow in thinking Bill would chew Milo out.

Korigama

Bill Maher's friends with Ann Coulter, and she's basically Milo Yiannopolos with a bit more dignity. So why is anyone surprised?
I'm not surprised, just disappointed. Complete waste of my time. That Overtime segment sounds like it might be reasonably cathartic, though.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
The panel is fucking ripping into Yabbadabbadoo while he awkwardly laughs along. Dude looks like he's dead inside but I guess that's just his default look.

Maher's useless.

NYR

Can everyone calm down now? They yelled at him. It was awesome. It was funny. Lets focus on making things better! I go to bed in peace and wish you all well, I really do.

Foffy

Banned
Btw 37,000 people are watching overtime versus what the millions that saw the live show?

Overtime gets uploaded to YouTube.

Usually gets similar views as regular clips do, so probably 100,000+. Probably more for those looking to see "how bad is this Milo guy here?"

So was this a circle jerk between a libertarian and a nazi about how college kids are special snowflakes who need safe spaces, like I predicted it would be?

Basically. Milo should've been on the panel. If Bill isn't going to counter his bullshit, Larry Wilmore and Malcom Nance would have.

~Kinggi~

Banned
...Did he actually say that? Wow.

He then went on to say he needed to cut the bullshit with putting people down. I think Bill thought he would be able to 'reform' Milo or something, like try and get him to be more diplomatic or some shit. I could tell as things progressed Bill realized his mistake as Milo started to make a bunch of deranged hate statements during the overtime. Like, he was basically like 'shit, this guy really is fucked i need to move on'

mkenyon

Banned
Just curious, why do people call Milo a Nazi? I get that he's a racist, biggoted, piece of shit, but where does the leap to Nazi come from?

He then went on to say he needed to cut the bullshit with putting people down. I think Bill thought he would be able to 'reform' Milo or something, like try and get him to be more diplomatic or some shit. I could tell as things progressed Bill realized his mistake as Milo started to make a bunch of deranged hate statements during the overtime. Like, he was basically like 'shit, this guy really is fucked i need to move on'

Maher literally had next to no clue who Milo was before inviting him on and clearly didn't do anything beyond surface research going in.

Ratrat

I dont think he came off as intelligent or likable....

Is this a character he plays? He used to look and act different.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Maher literally had next to no clue who Milo was before inviting him on and clearly didn't do anything beyond surface research going in.

Yeah no doubt Maher fucked up big, his panel saved him by just saying 'go fuck yourself, double fuck'. But ive been watching Maher for a while, his facial expressions while Milo was talking got kind of serious and he just looked down at his papers. If Maher keeps having him on im literally gonna find some outlet to try and yell at him or something, that shit dont fly with me. Ill let him have this one time fuck up, because he really didnt know who the guy was.

Cyframe

The interview felt like Bill was out on a date with Milo. He mentions his harassment campaign against Jones, Bill doesn't push him, and at the end of the interview they both bond over anti-black jokes that the late Joan Rivers said. I was disgusted.

Bill was completely enamored with him.

The interview felt like Bill was out on a date with Milo. He mentions his harassment campaign against Jones, Bill doesn't push him, and at the end of the interview they both bond over anti-black jokes that the late Joan Rivers said. I was disgusted.

And that's why Milo is dangerous, by all accounts to people who don't really care that much about what he says he can be quite charming... You see that in bios on him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Bill called him the next Christopher Hitchens. That just makes me retroactively hate Christopher Hitchens. lol

Moonkid

Is it really worth watching the entirety of that Overtime segment? Because all I'm seeing is Milo getting normalised, not ethered lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom