• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos is Going on Real Time with Bill Maher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maher has a hard-on for atheists especially ones who make it their crusade for Islamophobia. The phrase "don't feed the troll" could not be any clearer tonight as Yiannopoulos was asking for everyone to tell him to fuck off. It's a tragedy that someone as unpatriotic as Milo is taken seriously by American citizens.

The only takeaway from this is that Nance was on to something when he questions the possibility of Milo having some personality disorder himself.

Milo isn't an atheist. He's Catholic.

Foffy

Banned
Did Bill Maher really just compare Milo to Christopher Hitchens? Da fuck?

Maybe as a rebel rouser and a person pissing in a pot?

I think that's as far as it could go. I would imagine even Sam Harris has a problem with the Hitch comparison. Unless I am wrong, Harris and Hitchens were close friends, and even Harris believes that Hitch would totally be for Hillary. Milo thinks she's likely Satan spawn.

Dude Abides

Banned
im all for that. He needs a good yelling at. He fucked up. Depressing night, cause i really like him usually, he is one of the stronger voices for the left we have right now in Trump times, last thing we need is this shit.

Maher isn't really a voice for the left. He's a just a dumbass who likes pot and doesn't like religion.

Lois_Lane

He probably did but didn't have 100% of the arguments researched. Milo was called out right after by the guests.

He shrugged. He legit didn't know. People shrug in those situations.

Nah. They don't. It took less than one minute to find out about Milo's harassing a trans student and I'm an 18 year old with no where near the amount of money Maher has. He can get fucked for being a lazy piece if shit.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Maher isn't really a voice for the left. He's a just a dumbass who likes pot and doesn't like religion.

nah dude im gonna disagree. I dont want to fight other libs but ive watched him for years. The dude delivers some seriously on-point monologues on important topics. Everyone fucks up and tonight was big, so he is on notice with me before i drop off completely, but im not gonna completely shut people out of my sight at every slight.

Spinifex

Flabbergasted after seeing that Overtime. Milo had virtually free reign to spew falsehoods about trans people, and Bill called it 'reasonable'.

Extremely disappointed after watching his show for the past 15 odd years. I think I'm done.

Enjoyed the episode tonight. Last week with Al Franken was good too, so that's two weeks in a row I've enjoyed. Might start tuning in again regularly after being disappointed with how much Maher backed Hillary in the run up to November despite her having very little in common with many of Maher's stated opinions. Hope this is the beginning of another good run, at least until the dems officially nominate someone in 2020.

royalan

Why is Milo less legitimate than Ann Coulter? Maher has been giving her a pulpit for decades. I'm surprised you're all surprised. He has a soft-spot for provocateurs, no matter the persuasion.

It's not worth respect to invite onto your show a "provocateur" whose entire shtick is against one of the most vulnerable groups in the world.

It's especially shitty that Maher isn't well-versed enough to take on Milo and check his steady stream of bullshit.

Maher has had some low moments. Add this to the pile.

He probably did but didn't have 100% of the arguments researched. Milo was called out right after by the guests.

Yeah, because those guests knew it was obvious bullshit, which honestly didn't even require that much research to refute because it SOUNDS like bullshit

I guess you though it sounded plausible huh

Boke1879

No. You do your research. You watching interviews he's given in the past. You watch speeches he's given at universities, and you watch for any numbers he quotes and then you research that yourself. Especially when you invite him to debate. You better do your homework. But not only that he agreed in certain cases it's ok to discriminate!

But Milo isn't even there to debate. It's to put on a facade and spew his brand of bullshit. Say a bunch of shit to keep you off kilter.

Toxi

Banned
Enjoyed the episode tonight. Last week with Al Franken was good too, so that's two weeks in a row I've enjoyed. Might start tuning in again regularly after being disappointed with how much Maher backed Hillary in the run up to November despite her having very little in common with many of Maher's stated opinions. Hope this is the beginning of another good run, at least until the dems officially nominate someone in 2020.
All it took for Mr. Blonde to like Bill Maher was a little transphobia.

You Maher fans better start worshipping Larry Wilmore from now on cause he was the only salvageable part of this.
larry_wilmore_milo_by_digi_matrix-dazgd13.gif

While the white boys were chuckling to each other.

Vyer

Yeah the irony im seeing of this is if Bill really was charmed by Milo (which i heavily doubt by the end of the show, he seemed pissed) but if he was, ITS THE SAME FUCKING THING that got Trump to where he was, being charmed while he burns it all down.

yeah, it's infuriating. all those 'fight the fight!', 'Maher will tear him up and he'll looks silly!' and similar arguments (along with the nonsensical first amendment argument for a TV show) from earlier in this thread turned out as wrong as expected.

you don't just 'fight!' without a strategy and knowing your opponent. milo could give a fuck about honest debate and counterpoints and stats. just like trump. his goal was exposure, more mainstream/normalized and the potential to draw new fans and followers. hell he might have made Maher one.

newjeruse

cuz I want moar.

but really the 60 minutes type show wold be god too. get some correspondents etc. daily show it up some more.
My favorite part about LWT is that they don't hide behind the "comedy news" shield that the Daily Show use to wield. It's a real news show that incorporates humor. Which is frankly how all news shows should be because the world is a fucked up, bizarre place.

Yeah, because those guests knew it was obvious bullshit, which honestly didn't even require that much research to refute because it SOUNDS like bullshit

I guess you though it sounded plausible huh

I gave a reason for why he shrugged and now I'm a uninformed bigot?

geeeeez

No. You do your research. You watching interviews he's given in the past. You watch speeches he's given at universities, and you watch for any numbers he quotes and then you research that yourself. Especially when you invite him to debate. You better do your homework. But not only that he agreed in certain cases it's ok to discriminate!

But Milo isn't even there to debate. It's to put on a facade and spew his brand of bullshit. Say a bunch of shit to keep you off kilter.

Maher is a glorified late night host that's mostly politics. It's unfortunate he didn't come 100% prepared but all I did was give a reason for why the man shrugged.

~Kinggi~

Banned

I mean, this is why im so disappointed with Bill tonight as a longtime fan is the dude was on fucking Van Jones and had people in the audience saying how awful Milo was and he basically announced that 'well i dont know much at all about him but ive heard he is really awful so we will see'.

So he had plenty of time to do research, im almost wondering if Bill's philosophy was to intentionally NOT do that and try and take a fresh approach to someone he feels got fucked over on free speech or something. I mean, bad set of events here.

Spoo

Yeah, after watching this I think I can reaffirm my belief that Bill Maher just isn't really a leftist hero or anything. I think the reason Milo gets a platform here is partly because Maher doesn't actually find some of his more controversial stances to be, well, controversial. On issues of Islam, transgender issues, apparently they don't really disagree that much. Liberals get under Maher's skin, and they get under Milos, so they probably have something to bond over with that.

Anyone surprised about this connection probably hasn't watched previous episodes of Maher with Sam Harris, and more.

Bill is right about one thing, though: Milo is a walking contradiction, which makes him particularly dangerous in normalizing a lot of the things we find disgusting about the alt-right. It puts people into no true scotsman traps. But sure, why not give him a platform? Maher has one, after all.

God fuck Bill Maher

And of course there are lot of liberals who will lap all that transphobic shit up. And some people are going to whine about criticizing him because we need every voice, but fuck that nonsense.

so this sounds like a shit-wreck. i look forward to cringe watching it later.
i never expected the tear-down like people were saying (hoping) but that doesn't make this any less dissapointing.

yeah, it's infuriating. all those 'fight the fight!', 'Maher will tear him up and he'll looks silly!' and similar arguments (along with the nonsensical first amendment argument for a TV show) from earlier in this thread turned out as wrong as expected.

you don't just 'fight!' without a strategy and knowing your opponent. milo could give a fuck about honest debate and counterpoints and stats. just like trump. his goal was exposure, more mainstream/normalized and the potential to draw new fans and followers. hell he might have made Maher one.

Honestly people who invoke "first amendment" aren't worth replying to at all. Regardless of what side of the political spectrum they fall on.

Milo definitely comes off as an idiot but charming and insanely self centered. My wife has never heard of him, when we sat to watch Overtime (she doesn't watch the main show) she thought he was loud, brash, stupid but charming and totally agreed with his thing at the beginning about not allowing trans women into college locker rooms.

I think he's gonna get a lot of fans from his appearance on the show. Way more people in America are anti trans than people on here probably wanna admit, and I think Milo has seized on that as a point to grow his exposure.
See? Got your wife hook line and sinker. Normalised transphobia. Or brought it out of her, and preyed on her uninformed stance on trans people. Milo relishes in bringing those prejudices out with myths.

But go around calling him a goofball, people, when he spouts hate speech. Really shows where you are in this fight for social injustice.

From what I read on GAF, I thought he was supposed to be a super smart dude. What kind of smart person whose job it is to run a political talk show does not know anything about one of the most pressing political issues of our times (transgender issues)? He was completely useless. Sounds like they just gave anyone who doesn't put their pants on backwards a show.

And I just watched the main segment... puke. WARNING: not recommended for anyone with a sense of ethics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSlC1eo2AFE

They should give Bill a half hour. Remove his boring and unfunny Monologue and New Rules and just do the panel. Give John Oliver an hour. Or give John Oliver a 60 minutes type show too.

Fuck out here with this, New Rules is consistently one of the best parts of the show.

fauxtrot

Banned
So this was as big of a disaster as I anticipated? Fucking great.

Maher doesn't care about many of the marginalized groups that Milo targets, so I'm not surprised the lazy fuck didn't do ANY homework. Dude thinks he can save the libs from themselves while being an edgy/bigoted version of the "smug coastal elite" that most of America hates.

Maher will impede the ease of these ideas by delegitimizing them through rational argument.

This did not happen.

There's a basic refusal to acknowledge that people need to be convinced that authoritarianism is a bad form of government.

I wonder what contributed to such an atmosphere where people have to be convinced fascist white nationalist authoritarianism needed to be defeated in a "reasonable" debate.

Maybe it was the slow-motion normalization of extremist, anti-American ideals in the guise of patriotism being freely allowed to carry equal airtime amongst the populace as if they were legitimate concepts that had some sort of merit in a democracy?

Do you honestly think people are going to rationally debate their fucking way out of a metastasizing cancer?

Because I don't see a way out of this particular corner you're now painted in that doesn't arrive at the answer "Well then if they're winning so clearly then maybe authoritarianism really isn't that bad."

"Yunno, you mix this drain cleaner with coke and it's got an interesting flavor."

"I mean, yeah, it's cancer, but on the flipside, I'm losing a lot of weight."

There's not too many places your line terminates if you're going to treat the subject of normalizing and legitimizing fascist white supremacy as a thing you can simply discuss to death.

Because history has shown otherwise.

~Kinggi~

Banned
From what I read on GAF, I thought he was supposed to be a super smart dude. What kind of smart person whose job it is to run a political talk show does not know anything about one of the most pressing political issues of our times (transgender issues)? He was completely useless. Sounds like they just gave anyone who doesn't put their pants on backwards a show.

And I just watched the main segment... puke. WARNING: not recommended for anyone with a sense of ethics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSlC1eo2AFE

I mean he typically is damn good at what he does. I think he is so fucking high lately from self medicating in the new legal Cali weed scene during a Trump presidency he fucked up badly here and shit the bed. I mean this was very out of character for bill. Dude is all about liberal agenda. His really only big controversial thing is the Islam stuff which i can see why people both support and are very upset with it.

im all for that. He needs a good yelling at. He fucked up. Depressing night, cause i really like him usually, he is one of the stronger voices for the left we have right now in Trump times, last thing we need is this shit.
Nah, Maher is weaksauce as a voice for the left for as uninformed he is on matters that we nerds even know more about on facts.

Samantha Bee, John Oliver, and Seth Meyers are stronger voices for the American left on TV.

shem935

Banned
Well I'm glad we finally beat the bad men through talking to them rationally and giving them a chance to appeal to a wider audience! Great job!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Nah, Maher is weaksauce as a voice for the left.

Samantha Bee, John Oliver, and Seth Meyers are stronger voices for the American left on TV.

I mean i guess i agree with you, but what always struck me about bill was he was able to wedge himself into the in-between of left and right and just come out making good sense. Problem with being too far on either end of the spectrum sometimes is to absolutely alienate the other without discussion. But i have actually been saying this since Trump won that the ability to reason with the right is destroyed as facts dont matter. And my only logical conclusion if the authorities dont step in to save us is civil war. You cant do democracy with crazy.

Bill is popular for the same reason The Young Turks have a following. People like to watch someone rail against the other side whether or they are intelligent or not.

Kthulhu

Larry fucking roasted his pathetic douchey little ass. Fucking gold. Bless Bill Maher if only for allowing that overtime to happen.

Watching now.

Milo looks visibly irritated when called out by the other panel members. He also rushes to Bill to try to get him to defend him.

He also gets a big smile on his face whenever anyone is focusing their attention on him

I've seen little of Milo outside of this video, but I am starting to believe that he is simply a narcissist that will say/do anything just to get any sort of attention to feed his ego. Not saying that excuses anything he does mind you.

gnomed

I will allow that Maher is a liberal, but he's one that treats his liberalism disingenuously as part of his schtick. And he's got a healthy dose of clueless aging white guy syndrome.

He's been suffering from a bout of Jenny McCarthyism as of late.

Bill is popular for the same reason The Young Turks have a following. People like to watch someone rail against the other side whether or they are intelligent or not.

And there's also a huge market for liberals who will call out other liberals for being too mean/too cowardly/needing safe space/ being PC/ whatever aka being "one of the good ones."

See Chait, Jonathan.

Watching now.

Milo looks visibly irritated when called out by the other panel members. He also rushes to Bill to try to get him to defend him.

He also gets a big smile on his face whenever anyone is focusing their attention on him

I've seen little of Milo outside of this video, but I am starting to believe that he is simply a narcissist that will say/do anything just to get any sort of attention to feed his ego. Not saying that excuses anything he does mind you.

It was like Milo going to daddy Bill for comfort at points. Save me Bill from these stupid people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom