• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mind-blowing CryEngine 3 tech demo simulates real-life urban development plans

mocoworm

Lock if old. Searched but couldn't find.

Mind-blowing CryEngine 3 tech demo simulates real-life urban development plans:

http://youtu.be/zx3iBCLeqk4

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-23-mind-blowing-cryengine-3-tech-demo-simulates-real-life-urban-development-plans

"French company Enodo may not be a video game studio, but its use of CryEngine 3 to develop virtual reality interactive 3D models for industrial proposals is nothing short of breathtaking and gives us a hint of what games will probably look like soon.

This 2:37 minute eye-melting tech demo shows off Enodo's craft at realising hypothetical offices, buildings and tram lines, among other projects. While Enodo isn't a game company, it is a fan of the medium and it noted on its YouTube page that its "one purpose" is "to show that the mechanisms governing the world of video games are powerful and will revolutionise the way to understand urban or industrial projects, their development, and their communication."

Sure these are just tech demos - which always look cooler than the real thing when it also has to support a complex game - but imagine a game with a simple set of mechanics like Gone Home being done with these sort of graphics. The mind reels."

something is wrong with me, the only thing I thought about when they showed that city area was what it would be like to shoot up everything in it like gta and use that train as my escape

ekim

I still need a mirror as the video is blocked in Germany due to the use of copyrighted music.. (Fuck you GEMA)

onQ123

Loved that.

now where are all the crazy people who said that we wouldn't see much of a difference next generation?

( that's if we see games that look like this)

Rocket786

Looked similar to the original Watch Dogs demo to be honest, which by all means still looks absolutely fantastic to me.

LeleSocho

Banned
It didn't look "mind-blowing" to me... yeah considering that it wasn't a game company you can say that was really good (specially the mini cooper) but mind-blowing...

Raxus

Looked similar to the original Watch Dogs demo to be honest, which by all means still looks absolutely fantastic to me.

Watchdogs still seems like an a high end current gen game to me. Impressive no doubt but nothing on the levels of this tech demo and Killzone's opening (Corridor Shooter).

They hang around Wii U threads.

And reality. How many developers have the talent/money to make high end games like this.
I already lost so much this generation. I really don't want more brain dead FPS games and shuttered studios.

Watchdogs still seems like an a high end current gen game to me. Impressive no doubt but nothing on the levels of this tech demo and Killzone's opening (Corridor Shooter).

And reality. How many developers have the talent/money to make high end games like this.
I already lost so much this generation. I really don't want more brain dead FPS games and shuttered studios.
Then blame bad management for that and not technological leaps. All the games released for todays consoles could experience marked improvements with more capable hardware withouth investing an extra cent. And let's not forget, finally there's a tendency to use the massive processing capabilities of moder gpus to run simulations, which don't increase dev costs significantly.

So there you go.

UrbanRats

I love this shot:
izJ5HX7oWPDNB.gif

Also, dat Malick:
ibvZytG4aoTcqr.gif

Jharp

Some of it did look stellar, but other parts were noticeably bad. The characters shown during the wide angle shot of the outdoor patio were all pretty meh, and some of the ground textures stood out real bad (like the tracks the train is running on).

Some of it did look stellar, but other parts were noticeably bad. The characters shown during the wide angle shot of the outdoor patio were all pretty meh, and some of the ground textures stood out real bad (like the tracks the train is running on).
That's because human characters takes lots of time to get right compared to other things. And just for a quick shots doesn't warrant the time investment It's not the point of the demo, is all about scale.

jediyoshi

Maybe something is wrong with me but i didn't saw anything impressive in this video.

Any of the individual, human scaled shots are pretty straight forward, but taking that fidelity into account by the time they zoom all the way out to city view is nuts.

DesertFox

Yeah I agree, on the whole I wasn't all that impressed. I guess if they're trying to show off architecture they succeed in that respect, but the people looked pretty bad, and the heavy use of DoF allowed them to cheat on a lot of textures.

That being said I'm sure it's way better at conveying an idea than what urban center planners currently use.

I can only laugh at the people who think there games will look like this anytime soon. PS4 and 720? Realky?

PS2 = ToyStory graphics!

PS3 = Killzone Clip!

360 = Madden in rain!

sunnz

Night time and the reflections IMO didn't look better than Sleeping dogs but the rest was just amazing ( no foliage movement from the trams was a bit of an immersion killer)

Some parts looked almost like real life.

I can only laugh at the people who think there games will look like this anytime soon. PS4 and 720? Realky?

PS2 = ToyStory graphics!

PS3 = Killzone Clip!

360 = Madden in rain!

i definitely think PS4 and 720 will look like this. I honestly didn't find it that impressive. Other PC games that are out already look better than this.

element

not sure how this is mindblowing. impressive, but not OMG mindblowing.

no ai.
no physics.
pretty much hand key animations in an environment we have seen similar instances of already.

DesertFox

i definitely think PS4 and 720 will look like this. I honestly didn't find it that impressive. Other PC games that are out already look better than this.

People think the PS4/Durango can't produce these visuals?

*double checks to make sure correct video link was clicked*

What is everyone else seeing? This looks maybe on par with Crysis 3, but definitely not a significant improvement.

Loved that.

now where are all the crazy people who said that we wouldn't see much of a difference next generation?

( that's if we see games that look like this)

I don't see full destruction or every building having its interiors modeled, which is what those people were saying. Obviously graphics will look better

baphomet

PS2 = ToyStory graphics!

PS3 = Killzone Clip!

360 = Madden in rain!

You're fooling yourself if you don't think next gen consoles will be doing stuff like this. I'd be willing to bet within the first year even.

DesertFox

Forza Autovista:
forza-motorsport4-autovista.jpg

The engine people are swooning over:
endododemop9aij.png

I don't get it.

Before someone calls it out - I understand that Autovista is not really interactive in the sense that you can't race cars at that graphics fidelity, but this tech demo is the exact same isn't it? It's pre-rendered, so as far as we know could be less interactive than autovista.

Before someone calls it out - I understand that Autovista is not really interactive in the sense that you can't race cars at that graphics fidelity, but this tech demo is the exact same isn't it? It's pre-rendered, so as far as we know could be less interactive than autovista.

You're also comparing a single car in a simple warehouse to a scene with multiple cars and outdoor scenery.

I think the most impressive part of the video is that it hints at larger open-world environments, which we have never seen in this fidelity. I have no idea if this will actually be possible next-gen, but it's fun to consider.

KKRT00

not sure how this is mindblowing. impressive, but not OMG mindblowing.

1. no ai.
2. no physics.
pretty much hand key animations in an environment we have seen similar instances of already.

AI - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7T0FMaRsfdg#t=143s (simulated npc behavior for road conditions and atmospheric effects]
Physics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew0L15X7A4o&feature=player_detailpage#t=169s [driving boats/cars, walking in city, using public transportation, using mechanics in the world]

=======

Night time and the reflections IMO didn't look better than Sleeping dogs but the rest was just amazing ( no foliage movement from the trams was a bit of an immersion killer)

Some parts looked almost like real life.
Its not based on CryEngine 3.5 yet, so it lacks vegetation physics from Crysis 3 development.

Top Bottom