• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mind-blowing CryEngine 3 tech demo simulates real-life urban development plans

Some of this stuff (particularly the indoor scenes) looks damn near photo realistic.

I doubt games will look like this on next gen consoles. In terms of textures and environmental complexity, sure, but IQ won't be this perfect.

jediyoshi

Before someone calls it out - I understand that Autovista is not really interactive in the sense that you can't race cars at that graphics fidelity, but this tech demo is the exact same isn't it? It's pre-rendered, so as far as we know could be less interactive than autovista.

Prerendered? They still have a debug message left over in one of the shots

DesertFox

You're also comparing a single car in a simple warehouse to a scene with multiple cars and outdoor scenery.

I think the most impressive part of the video is that it hints at larger open-world environments, which we have never seen in this fidelity. I have no idea if this will actually be possible next-gen, but it's fun to consider.

Right - which is being executed on 8 year old hardware. My intent was to aim that post at people who are dismissing the possibility of these types of graphics on next-gen consoles.

I think these graphics should hopefully be possible right out of the launch gate. If next-gen doesn't look like this after 8 years in the making.... we've got a problem.

Forza Autovista:
forza-motorsport4-autovista.jpg

The engine people are swooning over:
endododemop9aij.png

I don't get it.

Before someone calls it out - I understand that Autovista is not really interactive in the sense that you can't race cars at that graphics fidelity, but this tech demo is the exact same isn't it? It's pre-rendered, so as far as we know could be less interactive than autovista.

Well, this is suppose to be a professional tool about cities, not an entertainment product about cars. This isn't about graphics either, it just happens to look good because it uses Cryengine 3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Gorgeous tech demo. Lighting looks very natural.

Forza Autovista:
forza-motorsport4-autovista.jpg

The engine people are swooning over:
endododemop9aij.png

I don't get it.

You took a screen cap when the car was moving into/out of the frame so that the motion blur covers up the details.

KKRT00

Repeating my post.

AI - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7T0FMaRsfdg#t=143s (simulated npc behavior for road conditions and atmospheric effects]
Physics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew0L15X7A4o&feature=player_detailpage#t=169s [driving boats/cars, walking in city, using public transportation, using mechanics in the world]

And everything there is real-time and scale is big, watch other videos i've posted.
Of course not everything in this city has the same fidelity and LOD can be aggressive in distance.

element

AI - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7T0FMaRsfdg#t=143s (simulated npc behavior for road conditions and atmospheric effects]
Physics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew0L15X7A4o&feature=player_detailpage#t=169s [driving boats/cars, walking in city, using public transportation, using mechanics in the world]

=======

Its not based on CryEngine 3.5 yet, so it lacks vegetation physics from Crysis 3 development.
That doesn't even look as good as GTV4 ICE.

Raxus

Then blame bad management for that and not technological leaps. All the games released for todays consoles could experience marked improvements with more capable hardware withouth investing an extra cent. And let's not forget, finally there's a tendency to use the massive processing capabilities of moder gpus to run simulations, which don't increase dev costs significantly.

So there you go.
Excellent point. With more power hopefully developers will invest more into making sure their games run at a great frame rate and improve in other areas.

BraXzy

Maybe something is wrong with me but i didn't saw anything impressive in this video.

Same. It looked like anything you would see nowadays, everything has a jagged fuzzy look imo, nothing impressed me besides the tree bit at the end :L

Persona86

Banned
Same. It looked like anything you would see nowadays, everything has a jagged fuzzy look imo, nothing impressed me besides the tree bit at the end :L

Some scenes have impressive natural looking lighting.

Birds eye view of the city didn't look that impressive in the lighting department thou.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It says right at the end of the video that the footage was captured from "real-time simulations". There's also this tidbit in the OP:

French company Enodo may not be a video game studio, but its use of CryEngine 3 to develop virtual reality interactive 3D models for industrial proposals is nothing short of breathtaking and gives us a hint of what games will probably look like soon.

Top Bottom