• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MINDHUNTER |OT| Netflix Original Series - Oct 13

Episode 8 was really good.
Totally agree with the rest of the team that Holden is in the wrong here. The Foot Tickler might sound like the genesis of another weirdo psychopath but it was definitely not a FBI matter and he should have left it alone. The final scene just proves that he's being vindictive and taking his own frustration about Debby out on a guy's career. What a prick.
Fuck that guy. He wouldn‘t wanna stop even when the parents complained.

duckroll

Fuck that guy. He wouldn‘t wanna stop even when the parents complained.

The guy is a creeper but it has nothing to do with the FBI. There is no crime, it is a school board matter. They should have resolved it themselves and there was no need for Holden to get personally involved and use FBI resources. He even dragged the new guy along to question a bunch of people and make threats. For what? It was entirely to satisfy his own ego and to feel he was doing something "real" and nothing more.

TheOddOne

This is definitely not the place to get into it. But I don't see how it's disrespectful. Spoilers are spoilers. Its foremost a discussion thread so having to stop an go look up whether something you're discussing is a spoiler and which specific episode something is really kills discussion. I've found myself repeatedly just not bothering to get into threads because it's just not worth the hassle looking up a minor plotpoint.
It has worked fine for Luke Cage, Black Mirror, Orange is the New Black, Stranger Things, House of Cards etc.

The guy is a creeper but it has nothing to do with the FBI. There is no crime, it is a school board matter. They should have resolved it themselves and there was no need for Holden to get personally involved and use FBI resources. He even dragged the new guy along to question a bunch of people and make threats. For what? It was entirely to satisfy his own ego and to feel he was doing something "real" and nothing more.
That I agree with.
Though I still don‘t have any smypathy for him. Also, Ford‘s not a great guy either.

antispin

Loved the show. Character spoiler:
wanted to punch Holden at times. I liked his arc from wanting-to-learn, to know-it-all. But his self-confidence feels premature, hence wanting to punch him. He's also emotionally selfish. His breakdown was a season too early perhaps?
Can't wait for S2.

Yeah, with a movie budget theres a lot more he could have done with this. Still pretty good after ep2 for a tv series though.
We dont know what he/they chose to do and what he/they was forced to do due to budget.

What says that with a "movie budget" they would have taken the creative choice to show the past killings as a part of the framework of this show?

What else would this "a lote more he could have done" be?

duckroll

So is the BTK Killer going to be the framing device for the entire series? Fincher said 5 seasons are mapped out and he knows the final scene. So does that mean it ends in 2005 or something?

Finished up to ep 4 now. While it's been slow it's also interesting which helps. I really like holdens girlfriend. The last shot of ep 4 was cool

Only watched the first two episodes, but this is some of the best TV I’ve watched in a long time.

The tone, intelligence and willingness to progress at a subdued pace is fantastic.

diaspora

I agree though I do think the school board was justified in firing him.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Who was that
guy in Park City, Kansas supposed to be? Was never revealed in season 1.

Maybe the first serial killer that they'll "hunt" using their newly acquired knowledge?

Kal

I agree it had nothing to do with the FBI however the guy hadn't stopped despite complaints from parents and teachers; I hate the way Holden went about it (felt like an ego trip and an abuse of power) however I don't want some creep ticking my kids' feet so I'm happy with the end result lol

I really loved this show and I can't wait for season 2!!!!

duckroll

Am I correct in assuming that all the active cases they solve in the season are made up cases while the killers they interviewed are real?

Maybe the first serial killer that they'll "hunt" using their newly acquired knowledge?
Not exactly. While the BAU was heavily involved in that case,
the BTK killer was only caught in 2005 and it was because he sent the police a floppy disk that was traced back to his computer. He actually asked the police if they could trace the floppy disk through a personal ad, the police said it was safe for him to send it and the fool believed they were being honest.

Not exactly. While the BAU was heavily involved in that case,
the BTK killer was only caught in 2005 and it was because he sent the police a floppy disk that was traced back to his computer. He actually asked the police if they could trace the floppy disk through a personal ad, the police said it was safe for him to send it and the fool believed they were being honest.

So everything is gonna end with
an old man, in 2005 sending a floppy disc that he was using at his local church? Haha. Great.

duckroll

Overall series thoughts:

I think it's pretty cool how the entire season was framed around everything being essentially a profiling of Holden himself. It's not immediately obvious at the start, but as it progresses and the nature of their work forms thematic arcs on the habits and nature of killers and how they think, we can also apply those mental exercises to Holden himself, and the scenarios depicted help us along.

Ending spoilers:
You can see his stressers, towards the final set of episodes, how he gets increasingly strained, the cases he helps solve are also in a way a parallel to how the serial killers start off their "careers" - at first he gets a victory because things fall into place for him, then as he gets more confident he starts building a more organized approach and does more planning for each subsequent hunt. Ultimately, Kemper himself is his "shoe" or "rock", or maybe it is Kemper making him admit to himself what he is becoming. Then he has a total breakdown.

Great season, definitely pumped for the next one.

Episode 8 spoilers:
That I agree with.
Though I still don‘t have any smypathy for him. Also, Ford‘s not a great guy either.

I agree though I do think the school board was justified in firing him.

I agree it had nothing to do with the FBI however the guy hadn't stopped despite complaints from parents and teachers; I hate the way Holden went about it (felt like an ego trip and an abuse of power) however I don't want some creep ticking my kids' feet so I'm happy with the end result lol

I really loved this show and I can't wait for season 2!!!!

They're totally justified. I don't think that's really the point though. They could have acted sooner and without any FBI involvement. It was an ongoing problem. The purpose of the entire incident was clearly intended to portray Holden in a certain way though, and reflect the sort of person he really is inside. So that's where my focus is.

nOoblet16

Episode 9,
yea Holden got a bit in over his head but the Principal was told not to touch the kids by faculty, board and parents and he didn't listen and got defensive. So fuck him, I wouldn't feel any remorse for him and not sure why the show would present it as such. His family got stuck in the middle but he brought it onto them.

Ruruja

Ending spoilers:
You can see his stressers, towards the final set of episodes, how he gets increasingly strained, the cases he helps solve are also in a way a parallel to how the serial killers start off their "careers" - at first he gets a victory because things fall into place for him, then as he gets more confident he starts building a more organized approach and does more planning for each subsequent hunt. Ultimately, Kemper himself is his "shoe" or "rock", or maybe it is Kemper making him admit to himself what he is becoming. Then he has a total breakdown.

Yeah, I noticed that, really cool.
Him breaking up with his gf and getting in major trouble at work were definitely 'stressors', and he definitely comes across as a little narcissistic in the IA interview.

Looking forward to S2. Really enjoyed it.

Am I correct in assuming that all the active cases they solve in the season are made up cases while the killers they interviewed are real?

Reading the book at the moment. The case with the majorette was a real one, though no name was given and there was dramatic license with Holden doing the interrogation in the show. The book seems to point to him offering an interrogation vector and that's it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
3 eps down, ep3 flew by (Like, even I thought ep1 was reaaaaaaly slow). This shit is so interesting, especially when you view it through the lens of the time period.

Finished it. Looking forward to season 2.

My only complaint would be the interrogation scenes. I don't know if its different in the US, or in that time in the US, but it felt completely like fiction to me. Having read a few preliminary investigations (?) and transcripts of interrogations, that is not how integrations or questioning is being handled. I understand if they felt the need to Hollywood-it up, but how real interrogations are structured is riveting enough and would work within this talky series, only tightened up ( I feel). Now it turned into Lethal Weapon.

dude, kudos, I guess, to the guy playing Edmund. That is an unbelievable performance. I can't even imagine embodying a character like that. This shit is almost too dark for me to watch.

dude, kudos, I guess, to the guy playing Edmund. That is an unbelievable performance. I can't even imagine embodying a character like that. This shit is almost too dark for me to watch.

Yup.

Edmund's performance is fantastic. He nailed the personality of a psychotic serial killer.

120v

My only complaint would be the interrogation scenes. I don't know if its different in the US, or in that time in the US, but it felt completely like fiction to me. Having read a few preliminary investigations (?) and transcripts of interrogations, that is not how integrations or questioning is being handled. I understand if they felt the need to Hollywood-it up, but how real interrogations are structured is riveting enough and would work within this talky series, only tightened up ( I feel). Now it turned into Lethal Weapon.

i watch a lot of true crime stuff, i didn't find it too out there except for when holden was overtly buddy buddy but none of the FBI guys were professional interrogators, just outside help to podunk precincts

Man, this is gonna kick up a big megabinge of Criminal Minds when I get done with this. 12 seasons on Netflix. The overlap between their fantasy, kinda CBSsy, BAU and this team's work forming the BAU are interesting.

jtb

Banned
This series became disappointingly formulaic pretty quickly.

Was expecting a lot more focus on the banality of each of these small towns (throw in a little Twin Peaks, a little Zodiac and Gone Girl), a lot more nihilism. But I guess all these shows have to have pretty hackneyed bits about their family lives to trim down on the budget and keep it more grounded and emotionally accessible.

Yeah, I noticed that, really cool.
Him breaking up with his gf and getting in major trouble at work were definitely 'stressors', and he definitely comes across as a little narcissistic in the IA interview.

Looking forward to S2. Really enjoyed it.

I'd also add his background is a little weird. The story about his mom catching him masturbating. Also, how she questioned his sexual activities. He moved around a lot. The fact that he's now just having his first real relationship.

He basically profiles like the men he's investigating

I really, really like this show.

Just finished the first episode. Man this show is soooo good. So well written, dense and well acted. I'm a huge Seven and Zodiac fan, and I love the psychology aspect of this. I don't think I can go straight into ep2 just because there's so much to chew on here in the first ep. If this keeps up this could be my new favourite.

This is just getting better and better. A show about serial killers that doesn't make them out to be movie villains or turn them into generic monsters is what I have always wanted and where so many film and TV shows have failed before.

Having a ten hour Zodiac is just...

happy-dance-.gif

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This is just getting better and better. A show about serial killers that doesn't make them out to be movie villains or turn them into generic monsters is what I have always wanted and where so many film and TV shows have failed before.

Having a ten hour Zodiac is just...

Yup, I agree completely. I fucking love serial killer related media, so I'm loving this take on the subject.

I like it in general but it's annoying how every assumption the characters make is like absolutely 100% correct the first time. And everyone talks like it's incredibly obvious it's scripted. Nobody talks like this. Every word is important exposition, no spontaneity.

Also has anyone noticed how everrrryyyy time they show Quantico in an establishing shot they have gunshots in the background? Like every time without fail. Can they be any less creative in their sound design? Ugh.

Kalor

Episode 3 is probably my favourite so far. It had a bunch of good conversations and quick exchanges. The questioning / interviews with the killers have all been pretty good so far.

sflufan

Banned
Also has anyone noticed how everrrryyyy time they show Quantico in an establishing shot they have gunshots in the background? Like every time without fail. Can they be any less creative in their sound design? Ugh.

Well, Quantico IS an active Marine base (as well as the home of the FBI Academy).

tim.mbp

Reading the book at the moment. The case with the majorette was a real one, though no name was given and there was dramatic license with Holden doing the interrogation in the show. The book seems to point to him offering an interrogation vector and that's it.

How is the book? I'm curious about reading it, but don't necessarily want to read something that goes into details of horrific crimes.

How is the book? I'm curious about reading it, but don't necessarily want to read something that goes into details of horrific crimes.

I'm reading on Kindle and it's not any worse than the show in respect to detail. Might be better actually.

It's much closer to a full auto biography for John Douglas, who co-wrote the book and inspired the character of Holden Ford. "Inspired" being the operative word, as Douglas is more savvy and charming. Like the first two chapters of the book are pre- and early FBI.

It's interesting how they chose random anecdotes from the book to make into storylines. Like the principal situation is mentioned briefly, but it's completely different.

Top Bottom