• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mindwarp!

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this movie? It was recommended to me by one of my streaming service algorithms, not a very good movie! The thing that captured my attention though was the initial plot, and this movie is from 1992:

The faceless corporation "infinisynth" keeps people jacked into VR 24/7 to provide a perfect world to replace the stark reality of total nuclear desolation. Their logo? A fucking infinity symbol...

So I'm thinking how in the hell did this movie from 1992 predict Meta? The beginning scenes where the main character is talking to her mom about wanting to have real experiences and just sit and talk, and her mom is totally disinterested because she's so addicted to the entertainment being piped straight into her brain was pretty on point for 2022. The "dreamers" all have computer ports on the back of their neck like ghost in the shell or the matrix. In some ways I feel like this movie has some really cool ideas ahead of its time, but then the meat of the film is a dumbass Bruce Campbell cannibal slasher gross out fest.

Anyways, just wanted to share this weird left field 90's B movie that predicted our dystopian future.

teezzy

Banned
Lol the Bruce Campbell one? Yeah I had it on limited edition blu ray at one point. It was tight iirc

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this movie? It was recommended to me by one of my streaming service algorithms, not a very good movie! The thing that captured my attention though was the initial plot, and this movie is from 1992:

The faceless corporation "infinisynth" keeps people jacked into VR 24/7 to provide a perfect world to replace the stark reality of total nuclear desolation. Their logo? A fucking infinity symbol...

So I'm thinking how in the hell did this movie from 1992 predict Meta? The beginning scenes where the main character is talking to her mom about wanting to have real experiences and just sit and talk, and her mom is totally disinterested because she's so addicted to the entertainment being piped straight into her brain was pretty on point for 2022. The "dreamers" all have computer ports on the back of their neck like ghost in the shell or the matrix. In some ways I feel like this movie has some really cool ideas ahead of its time, but then the meat of the film is a dumbass Bruce Campbell cannibal slasher gross out fest.

Anyways, just wanted to share this weird left field 90's B movie that predicted our dystopian future.

The trick to making prescient sci-fi is to write about the present. The ideas of A) corporations trying to control people and B) people being addicted to media consumption isn't new. Throw in a piece of futuristic tech (VR in this case), and you just might make something close to eventual reality.

Or maybe The Zuck watched this movie and thought, "Hey! That evil corporation could be ME!"

Last edited:

Melon Husk

Dumbass Bruce Campbell cannibal slasher gross out fest? Weird left field 90's B movie?

Say no more, say no more - I was sold at "dumbass Bruce Campbell" already.

Never ever heard of it but I have to see it now.

*Nightwing

041fEtW.jpg

Top Bottom