• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft makes 4x more revenue on Switch than Xbox

Eotheod

Im not surprised at all. It’s because Minecraft is a better fit for the Nintendo demographic and XBOX gamers don’t play or buy as many games as PlayStation and Nintendo owners do. It’s reasons like this why I think COD staying exclusive to XBOX will severely damage the franchise as far as numbers and profit goes.
It was pretty obvious from the get go why CoD being exclusive wouldn't ever be a contemplated thought for Microsoft, and why someone like Bethesda is exclusive: revenue. Certainly Bethesda games make money, but nowhere near Minecraft or CoD and thus why you can exclusive Starfield but not the other two.

It'd be like if Microsoft bought EA, their sports games or even AC would be stupid to not be multi-platform due to revenue share. It's why everyone dropped the console SLC in the acquisition cases, they just do not make any sense.
especially when they didn't build the IP.
I'd argue it is more Mojang under Microsoft built now then it was before the purchase. Minecraft officially came out in 2011, and was bought 2014. So it'd only been independent for three years from release, versus nine years from acquisition.

Last edited:
I'd argue it is more Mojang under Microsoft built now then it was before the purchase. Minecraft officially came out in 2011 and was bought in 2014. So it'd only been independent for three years from release, versus nine years from acquisition.
I would say that Mojang under MS has become stagnanted and underdelivering (low pace development).

17:41-19:51

JGU2H5G.jpg

Jezz corden is pissed about the super deluxed

Eotheod

I
I would say that Mojang under MS has become stagnanted and underdelivering (low pace development).

17:41-19:51

JGU2H5G.jpg

Jezz corden is pissed about the super deluxed

I mean sure, if the graphics update was your jam that certainly hasn't been delivered. However, that would also be ignoring the mountain of content created for the game, two spin offs released and a third in development plus expanded platform support through Bedrock edition.

At the end of the day though, Minecraft only has a content problem for some in creative limits. Obviously further expansion of mechanics is viable, though realistically I'm not sure how much further you can go with Minecraft when it is literally the Lego of video games. Mods obviously expand on that, and I think it was Bedrock that enabled said mods on non-PC platforms but I might be wrong.

Also, didn't an RTX update come out that does what the super duper graphics pack was to deliver?

Last edited:
I

I mean sure, if the graphics update was your jam that certainly hasn't been delivered. However, that would also be ignoring the mountain of content created for the game, two spin offs released and a third in development plus expanded platform support through Bedrock edition.

At the end of the day though, Minecraft only has a content problem for some in creative limits. Obviously further expansion of mechanics is viable, though realistically I'm not sure how much further you can go with Minecraft when it is literally the Lego of video games. Mods obviously expand on that, and I think it was Bedrock that enabled said mods on non-PC platforms but I might be wrong.

Also, didn't an RTX update come out that does what the super duper graphics pack was to deliver?
you didn't watch the video.

lachesis

Honestly when MS bought Mojang - I thought why would they buy a one-hit-wonder company, as I thought the popularity of Minecraft would go down in a short while - and boy was I wrong.
Then again, Minecraft is loved by a lot of young folks (including my own child - who somehow goes back to Minecraft once in a while). Fortnite, Roblox and Minecraft all seems to be holding up quite well.

And since Minecraft seems to be very family friendly (and often parent approved) type of game - it's not a wonder that its making more revenue on Switch - which its target audience is often towards younger folks... and it's world-wide popular too.

Chukhopops

this is the reason why Xbox buying up publishers and make games exclusive.
To force people game on their dying platform
How does one person miss the point so badly? It has to be intentional.

This is literally a counter argument to exclusivity, where MS makes more money than anyone else even when people play elsewhere.

TrueGrime

Since MS bought Minecraft in 2014 for 2.5b, Minecraft has had a revenue of 2.9+ billion dollars, lol. I doubt MS gives a fuck where the dollars come from as long as they keep games that generate residual income through GaaS, Microtransactons, etc, multiplat.

Does it bother you?
Why would it bother me? I have 3 years of GamePass stocked.

I'm proposing maybe that's the difference in revenue between the platforms.
If the players on Xbox aren't paying for the full game, but the other platforms are, it could explain the revenue disparity.

I'd rather see the raw number of players per platform than revnue numbers in this case.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I wonder what would happen if there was a Minecraft 2 and if it was Xbox and PC exclusive. Would the world burn?

Anyhow, my kids are playing it on Switch too, they started on Xbox where I used to play it but went over to Switch fairly soon.
If kids are the biggest market, it would basically destroy the market in Japan.

Allandor

No surprise. Kids play on the switch and not on PS5 or Xbox and well when they want something, parents often pay.
Also Minecraft on the other plattforms makes almost no difference. Graphics and gameplay are quite the same but it is not portable ...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And Phil flirted with the idea to make it exclusive.....

Xbox execs need to be careful how they handle these current and future acquisitions.

100% true. If GP doesn't work out, MS are screwed.

Top Bottom