• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Do sheep in captivity not regrow wool?
I have had some sheep locked up for a fair while now and they refuse to grow new wool.

Vlad

Do sheep in captivity not regrow wool?
I have had some sheep locked up for a fair while now and they refuse to grow new wool.

I haven't kept track of where the Xbox version is in comparison to the PC version, but if they regrow it in the wild (do they?), they'll do it in captivity. They regrow wool by eating grass, so if you've got them locked up in a stone prison with no grass, that could be your problem.

Ranger X

The PC version breeding happened a while before wool regrow. It's just that the Xbox version isn't up to date in that regard. You guys are simply at a point in time where the game lets you breed stuff but wool will regrow later :/

So my hobby over the past few months has been to recreate "Southwest Hyrule" - i.e., the map from the original Legend of Zelda - in Minecraft. I know it's been done but I wanted to do it on my own and on the 360 (where there aren't any shortcuts).

Some aerial views, from west to east...

1west_zps45df31a3.jpg

2mid_zps5003f549.jpg

3east_zps7bfe8e50.jpg

From the starting position:

start_zps7653f18d.jpg

Take a few steps forward and you see Death Mountain - and the twin peaks of Spectacle Rock - far in the distance!

deathmountain_zpse2240d97.jpg

Volimar

That is amazing work.

My nephew and I will be starting a new seed soon. He wants to make a floating area above the ground, eventually covering the entirety of the map. We'll have animals and crops in our floating area, but everything covered in shadow will be a place of constant danger with monsters everywhere.

Kind of looking forward to it.

Marvie_3

Banned
That Hyrule is so awesome. I wanted to do the exact same thing but could never get the motivation to sit down and do it. :lol

Did you make all the caves/dungeons underground as well?

That Hyrule is so awesome. I wanted to do the exact same thing but could never get the motivation to sit down and do it. :lol

Did you make all the caves/dungeons underground as well?

Thanks! It's nice to finally show off the labor of love.

Yes, 360 version. Yeah I'll admit some aspects were really tedious - like laying sandstone as the ground virtually everywhere, or the lake in the center of the map, etc. Some evenings I'd just open a beer and sorta zone out, doing that stuff. Other parts were actually kinda fun, like trying to figure out different elevations. If you look at the original NES map and think about it, it suggests altitudes, but you have to make some decisions on how it actually works when converting it to a 3D space.

Wandering Hyrule in 3D, I was surprised how well the map actually works. Nintendo would never do it, but you could release LoZ in 3D and have it be very playable. Some things are even more effective: for example, navigating the mountains to the north is a bit confusing and claustrophobic, and there are lots of parts of the game where - like a good Metroid or modern Zelda - you can see where something is, but it's unclear how to get there.

My original plan was to do all the underworld once I got the overworld nailed down - unfortunately, this was the first time I'd ever done creative mode and I didn't realize when you create a flat map, it's only a few blocks above bedrock - so there's no room to dig down. : / What I am intending, though, is to just continue filling everything out around it using the map from Adventure of Link as a reference.

Still, if I could get anything I wanted in Minecraft, it'd be copy and paste functions: select the whole thing, paste it 20 or 30 blocks higher, then get to making dungeons. Second thing I'd ask for is a way to keep grass from growing!

Seanspeed

Banned
4J Studios reports TU9 is in certification as of 3 days ago. Yay. Trailer here. Lots of great additions and changes:

- Added 'The End', with new layout, and new Enderdragon behaviour.
- Added Climbable Vines.
- Added Fire Charge, Wooden Button, Item Frames, Spawn Eggs, Sandstone Stairs, Spruce Stairs, Birch Stairs, Nether Bricks, Spruce Planks, Birch Planks, Nether Brick Slab, Spruce Slab and Birch Slab.
- Added new music for The End and The Nether from C418
- Made buckets and signs stackable.
- Sheep now re-grow their wool after shearing.
- New gravel texture.
- Can now smelt Netherrack into a Nether Brick in a Furnace.
- Blacksmith buildings in Villages now hold chests with loot of the same type as found in Strongholds.
- Crafting recipe change - Sign recipe gives three Signs.
- Crafting recipe change - Half Slab recipes give six Half Slabs.
- Crafting recipe change - Stone Button now requires one block of stone instead of two.
- Added smoother color transitions between biomes.
- Added beaches to terrain generation.
- Fence Gates can now be opened and closed with Redstone.
- Changed Nether Fortress to make Nether Wart rooms more likely.
- Made Nether Wart spawn randomly wherever Soul Sand is generated in the Nether.
- Nether Wart will now grow in the Overworld.
- Made Dispenser dispense mobs from Spawn Eggs, rather than the egg itself.
- Dispenser will dispense lava/water from a Bucket of Lava/Water.
- Dispenser will shoot Fire Charges.
- Trapdoors can be placed on half slabs and stairs
- Allow players to block with a sword when the ‘Can Build And Mine’ option is unchecked by the host.
- Moved six of the twelve music disc quests in the Tutorial World
- Changed the Tutorial world to add climbable Vines, and some of the new items, and removed/reduced the items in the Brewing, Farming and Breeding chests.
- Don't show the achievements warning when loading a creative map that has already been saved in creative mode.
- Reduced the volume of the Ghast sound effects.
- Increased the distance jukeboxes can be heard from.
- Improved lighting code performance.
- Improved the loading/saving time.
- Changed the display order in the Minecraft Store to show newest DLC first.
- Added How To Play for The End and Farming Animals
- Added HUD size options for both splitscreen and full screen modes.
- Added Reset Nether option to force regeneration of The Nether. This is helpful for older saves that didn't have a Nether Fortress.
- Added a toggle for Death Messages.
- Added a toggle to hide or display the animated character in the User Interface.
- Allow individual splitscreen users to have their own settings for HUD.

Fixes

- Fix for a Nether portal crash due to Ghast fireballs
- Fix for Cave Spider size.
- Fixed Experience Orb pickup sound not having pitch variance.
- Fixed a crash when attaching Glowstone to Pistons.
- Fixed a render update problem on the end of world chunks
- Fixed a crash with players throwing Enderpearls and leaving the game.
- Stop the player animation for eating happening in the Change Skin menu

As a aside, something that was posted in the main Minecraft thread, this video, made in the 360 version, is possibly the greatest thing to come from Minecraft:

Beetle Juice

MrDaravon

That's amazing stuff with the Zelda map, especially on 360. Nice!

They never increased the world size one way or the other on 360 did they? Only thing that's still discouraging me from going back :/

EDIT: MOTHER OF GOD AT THAT BEETLEJUICE VIDEO, FUUUUUUUCK

bebop242

My son is eagerly waiting for the TU9. He checks multiple times a day and gets disappointed every time the game boots up without the update window popping up.

Seanspeed

Banned
360 version has now crossed the 6 million mark. Retail version hasn't even come out.

Jesus!

4J Studios‏@4JStudios20h
Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition has now sold over SIX MILLION copies !!! #MinecraftXBLA

wwm0nkey

360 version has now crossed the 6 million mark. Retail version hasn't even come out.

Jesus!

4J Studios‏@4JStudios20h
Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition has now sold over SIX MILLION copies !!! #MinecraftXBLA
Holy shit! Thread worthy or should the old sales thread be bumped?

Tunavi

Banned
Started playing this again. Split-screen with a buddy or two is extremely fun.

Still impressed with how good this port is. Amazing frame-rate.

Was there some post effects put on that video or something as it was captured? Because I do not recall my game looking as soft if that makes any sense.

Henke

I started a new game on this on a whim this week. I must have put 100+ hours into the world I created upon release but within a few hours I had seen new things and rekindled the sense of discovery that left my game a long time ago.

I spawned on a map with one huge continent with very small islands littered around the edges of it. I walked for a minute or so and set up camp at a small estuary. I built a small hut to spent the night in but had been unable to find enough wool to craft a bed so I passed the night by building a mine through the bottom of my shack. Within 20 minutes I had discovered a freaking dungeon with a monster spawner - something I had never seen before in Minecraft despite the huge amount of time I've put into the game. I mined that sucker for all it was worth. The next day I'm wandering outside, literally less than 100 blocks from my shack when I spot some lava through a hole in the seabed, roughly underneath an island. I decide it's time for another wee explore (by this point I had decided I was just playing the file briefly for a spot of fun - I wasn't wanting to get lost in Minecaft again) so I get suited up in armour and head over, loaded with swords and pickaxes. I didn't have to dig too deep before I stumbled across a huge underground canyon - proper LotR type stuff. This places has multiple levels of walkways along the canyon edges and a number of water and lava falls. It honestly looks designed rather than randomly generated. I'm still working my way through the ground floor of this huge place but I've already found another dungeon (and a pig saddle!) off one of the tertiary shafts of it. I honestly cannot fathom how this game keeps giving with its content, keeps filling me with excitement and wonder as I explore new areas and still scares me as I crawl through it's pitch-black expanses.

Long story short? This is the best game available on the 360.

Seanspeed

Banned
TU9 releases this Friday - April 5th.

https://twitter.com/4JStudios

@Henke - Starting fresh is definitely fun, especially when there's been updates released that add some cool stuff. I think I'm going to do the same here after the update comes out as I'm missing some of the additions from the last update in my world.

Seanspeed

Banned
TU9 releases this Friday - April 5th.

https://twitter.com/4JStudios

@Henke - Starting fresh is definitely fun, especially when there's been updates released that add some cool stuff. I think I'm going to do the same here after the update comes out as I'm missing some of the additions from the last update in my world.

Bumping in case people didn't see first time I posted. Comes out tomorrow.

EDIT: Scratch that - just found out they bumped it up to today. Should be available now!

zou

I'm about to give up on the game, hopefully someone can help me out.

One of those damn zombies blew me up out of nowhere and in the middle of the day. Fine, I respawn and gather my stuff. Then I run into a spider, get stuck on my stairs and die. So now I'm stuck in my house with literally no items whatsoever. I try sleeping, but find out I can't. Two days in I somehow manage to sneak out, get some wood and craft a sword. So then I finally manage to kill the spiders. Except, my items are nowhere to be found. I've been looking around everywhere, nothing.

Is there anyway to figure out where they went or somehow get them back? :/

Marvie_3

Banned

One of those damn zombies blew me up out of nowhere and in the middle of the day. Fine, I respawn and gather my stuff. Then I run into a spider, get stuck on my stairs and die. So now I'm stuck in my house with literally no items whatsoever. I try sleeping, but find out I can't. Two days in I somehow manage to sneak out, get some wood and craft a sword. So then I finally manage to kill the spiders. Except, my items are nowhere to be found. I've been looking around everywhere, nothing.

If you drop items, they eventually disappear.

Your post pretty much sums up why I turned the monsters off.

Seanspeed

Banned

Way late on this, but this is part of the danger in the game. If you die, you can get your stuff back, but you need to get it back quickly. Which can sometimes mean suicide runs out in the night and down into cave systems with little to nothing on you.

The only items that it really, really sucks to lose are high-level enchanted equipment and maybe diamond armor. Everything else is usually fairly easily replaceable.

Anyways, I'm bumping this because TU10 and TU11 are out, which should fix all the issues that came with the big update in TU9. Nothing new has been added. I'm guessing they're taking care to make everything is up to shape for the disc release. Not sure when the next big update will be. Hopefully not too long.

Also, there's a FREE skinpack available on Xboxlive at the moment. I have no idea how long it'll be there, so grab it while you can.

Wandering Hyrule in 3D, I was surprised how well the map actually works. Nintendo would never do it, but you could release LoZ in 3D and have it be very playable. Some things are even more effective: for example, navigating the mountains to the north is a bit confusing and claustrophobic, and there are lots of parts of the game where - like a good Metroid or modern Zelda - you can see where something is, but it's unclear how to get there.

I would imagine the main thing that would change is it's a lot more obvious where the dungeons are in your version. long views give you a lot of information that you'd never have in the original, so the feeling of "stumbling upon a dungeon" would be reduced significantly.

Still -- that's awesome, awesome work! :D Warms my heart.

Got the new update. Hit a Jungle Biome in multiplayer and the whole chunk just won't load for the other player. Big empty cut out area. As host, I see everything just fine. Tried joining their game and upon hitting a jungle biome in their world the same thing happened to me.

Attempting to enter the cut out area will slowly kill you and upon death it tells the other player you suffocated in a wall. If the host goes into the cut out area(which they see normally) they disappear from view of the other player.

Seanspeed

Banned
Got the new update. Hit a Jungle Biome in multiplayer and the whole chunk just won't load for the other player. Big empty cut out area. As host, I see everything just fine. Tried joining their game and upon hitting a jungle biome in their world the same thing happened to me.

Attempting to enter the cut out area will slowly kill you and upon death it tells the other player you suffocated in a wall. If the host goes into the cut out area(which they see normally) they disappear from view of the other player.
Pretty much every major update tends to come with a host of new bugs, annoyingly.

That sounds like quite a doozy there.

I'm seeing other people are having issues with boats breaking super easily as well.

gar3

Update hit the other day; however, there are still issues in multi-player where whole chunks of areas won't load. Also, there appears to be a lighting bug where you can mine straight down and see fine without the aid of torches and such.

gar3

[triple post please don't ban]

Title Update 14 came out Wednesday morning in the States. There are, of course, numerous bug issues both on-line and off that hopefully will be fixed soon :-/

Karl2177

[triple post please don't ban]

Title Update 14 came out Wednesday morning in the States. There are, of course, numerous bug issues both on-line and off that hopefully will be fixed soon :-/
Dang. They added a lot of stuff. What are some of the bugs in this update? I think I might start a new world, but I don't want anything to be game breaking.

gar3

Dang. They added a lot of stuff. What are some of the bugs in this update? I think I might start a new world, but I don't want anything to be game breaking.
OK, played for a couple weeks and I've experienced in brand new worlds:

-Items disappearing from your main toolbar slot into your overall slot of stuff you are carrying [hope that made sense]

-Newly created worlds still feature massive, empty holes which you will glitch if you try to enter, but these holes are smaller than the ones previously mentioned in past posts above

-Blocks you are mining disappearing and reappearing instantly as you mine them [you have to jump in order to stop this from happening]

-Daylight in nighttime. Appears to be the day but it is actually night complete with monsters roaming 'round unaffected by the sunlight

gar3

And just like that TU15 is now out. Here are the change logs direct from 4J for both TU15 & TU14:

Change log for Title Update 15 - April 2nd 2014

Changes and Additions

Fixes:-

- Fix for blocks reappearing after they are mined.
- Fix to random fall damage issue.
- Fix for slow chunk loading speed.
- Fix for Maps not correctly display at the game start.
- Fix for splitscreen audio issues.
- Fix for blocks not always showing damage in splitscreen.
- Fix for Enderdragon sounds.
- Changed Zombies rare loot drop to be Carrots, Potatoes or Iron Ingots.
- Fix for problems spawning Chickens, Wolves & Mooshrooms.
- Fix for problem causing first item in the quickselect bar to sometimes move to the inventory on opening the inventory.
- Changed repairing tools in the Inventory to only allow tools that are not enchanted (since you’d lose the enchantment).
- Fix for villager eggs in a dispenser not producing random professions.
- Fix for Iron Golems not stopping their attack when they’ve killed a skeleton.
- Fix for issue when players teleported while riding a pig or a minecart
- Fix for animals climbing Cobblestone walls.
- Fix for attaching fences to cobblestone wall.
- Fix for Invisibility potion not making sheep completely invisible.
- Fix for gamertag being visible when using an invisibility potion.
- Fix for tamed wolves with invisibility becoming visible when swimming in water.
- Fix to let bonus chests spawn in pre-TU14 worlds.
- Fix to issue causing stationary network players to oscillate between two slightly different positions.
- Fix for unsynchronised audio.
- Fixed chatpad input on Anvil.

Change log for Title Update 14 - March 20th 2014

Changes and Additions

- Added new items
· Emerald
· Emerald Ore
· Block of Emerald
· Ender Chest
· Tripwire Hook
· Enchanted Golden Apple
· Anvil
· Flower Pot
· Cobblestone Walls
· Mossy Cobblestone Walls
· Wither Painting
· Potato
· Baked Potato
· Poisonous Potato
· Carrot
· Golden Carrot
· Carrot on a Stick
· Pumpkin Pie
· Night Vision Potion
· Invisibility Potion
· Nether Quartz
· Nether Quartz Ore
· Block of Quartz
· Quartz Slab
· Quartz Stair
· Chiseled Quartz Block
· Pillar Quartz Block
· Enchanted Book
· Carpet

- Added new recipes for Smooth Sandstone and Chiseled Sandstone.
- Added new Mobs - Zombie Villagers.
- Added new terrain generation features - Desert Temples, Desert Villages, and Jungle Temples.
- Added Trading with villagers.
- Added Anvil interface.
- Added sideways log placement.
- Changed placement of half blocks and other blocks on half blocks.
- Changed placement of upside down stairs and slabs.
- Wooden Buttons and Wooden Pressure Plates can be activated with Arrows.
- Can dye leather armor.
- Can dye wolf collars.
- Can control riding a pig with a Carrot on a Stick.
- Added different villager professions.
- Villagers spawned from a spawn egg will have a random profession.
- Furnaces can use wooden tools as a fuel.
- Ice and Glass panes can be collected with silk touch enchanted tools.
- Nether mobs can spawn in the Overworld from Portals.
- Creepers and Spiders are aggressive towards the last player that hit them.
- Mobs in Creative mode become neutral again after a short period.
- Remove knockback when drowning.
- Doors being broken by zombies show damage.
- Ice melts in the Nether.
- Cauldrons fill up when out in the rain.
- Pistons take twice as long to update.
- Pig drops Saddle when killed (if has one).
- Sky color in The End changed.
- String can be placed (for Tripwires).
- Rain drips through leaves.
- Levers can be placed on the bottom of blocks.
- TNT does variable damage depending on difficulty setting.
- Book recipe changed.
- Boats break Lily Pads, instead of Lily Pads breaking Boats.
- Pigs drop more Porkchops.
- Slimes spawn less in Superflat worlds.
- Creeper damage variable based on difficulty setting, more knockback.
- Fixed Endermen not opening their jaws.
- Added new Host Options for flying, invisibility and invulnerability for remote players.
- Added teleporting of players (using the player menu in-game).
- Furnace will return an empty bucket when fueled by a bucket of lava.
- Updated Bonus Chest content with more items.
- Added new tutorials to the Tutorial World for new items and features.
- Updated the positions of the Music Disc Chests in the Tutorial World.
- Updated all texture packs and mash-up packs with new TU14 additions.
- Changed the gray wool texture for City Texture Pack to be more like a road surface.

Fixes

- Fixed a crash with Maps in Item Frames which happened when players were in the Nether or The End
- Fixed Chest locks showing through walls at a distance
- Fixes a couple of crashes related to the player’s banned level list
- Some lighting fixes
- Fix to Blazes so they go on fire before shooting fire charges
- Fix to allow drinking milk in Creative mode
- Fix to allow split screen players to see Splash Potion particles
- Fix to stop the held item being replaced with the first item in the Quick Select on exiting The End.
- Fixed an issue with throwing an Ender Pearl while travelling to The Nether or The End
- Fixed the active time for Wooden and Stone Buttons.
- Fixed a crash with Dispensers and Fire Charges
- Fixed a crash with local profiles in the Help & Options menu
- Corrected the leaves obtained using silk touch on Jungle trees

Top Bottom