• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

hitoshi

IiISz.jpg

Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Developer: 4J Studios / Mojang
Platform: Xbox Live Arcade
Release date: 2012.05.09
Price: 1600 Microsoft points

Official website: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Minecraft/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111f7

GYalE.jpg

VSWuG.jpg

Minecraft is a sandbox construction game, inspired by Infiniminer, Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Keeper, created by Markus Persson, the founder of Mojang AB. The game involves players creating and destroying various types of blocks in a three dimensional environment. The player takes an avatar that can destroy or create blocks, forming fantastic structures, creations and artwork.

(http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki)

The Xbox Live Arcade exclusive console version is based on the 1.6.6. beta (relead in May, 2011). 4J is planning constant updates, providing new features, new gameplay modes for the players. Mod and skin support is planned but will not be available at launch. Simultenaous multiplayer with the PC version is not possible: there are too many obstacles (for example: the difference in versions).

Aalty.jpg

• Optional Kinect support, but not available at launch: will be patched into the game later on
  • New crafting inferface: console oriented GUI and controls

• 60 FPS

• Split-screen multiplayer: 4 players

• Online multiplayer: 8 players

• Skins and mod support: TBD

• Game will be updated with free patches

nvR0H.jpg

Into The Nether (40 points)
Construct a Nether Portal.

Dispense With This (20 points)
Construct a Dispenser.

MOAR Tools (15 points)
Construct one type of each tool (one pickaxe, one spade, one axe and one hoe).

Leader Of The Pack (30 points)
Befriend five wolves.

When Pigs Fly (40 points)
Use a saddle to ride a pig, then have the pig get hurt from fall damage while riding it.

Cow Tipper (15 points)
Harvest some leather.

Monster Hunter (20 points)
Attack and destroy a monster.

Time to Strike! (10 points)
Use planks and sticks to make a sword.

On A Rail (40 points)
Travel by minecart to a point at least 500m in a single direction from where you started.

Delicious Fish (15 points)
Catch and cook a fish!

Getting an Upgrade (15 points)
Construct a better pickaxe.

The Lie (40 points)
Bake a cake using wheat, sugar, milk and eggs!

Bake Bread (20 points)
Turn wheat into bread.

Time to Farm! (10 points)
Use planks and sticks to make a hoe.

Acquire Hardware (15 points)
Smelt an iron ingot.

Hot Topic (15 points)
Construct a furnace out of eight cobblestone blocks.

Time to Mine! (10 points)
Use planks and sticks to make a pickaxe.

Benchmarking (10 points)
Craft a workbench with four blocks of wooden planks.

Getting Wood (10 points)
Punch a tree until the block of wood pops out.

Taking Inventory (10 points)
Open your inventory.

TWrl2.jpg

Metacritic

Official Xbox Magazine UK

4J has turned in an accomplished port, boasting crisp, high-resolution visuals and a reorganised inventory...In terms of console sims, nothing touches it. Minecraft's world is one that everybody should experience. >>>

GameTrailers

Minecraft on the Xbox 360 does an admirable job of reproducing the essence of its forbear, and on the strength of the local co-op, it also manages to improve upon it in a small but essential way. >>>

Destructoid

I don't regret the engrossing, addictive, and often boring adventure I've had. No matter how tired I may be by the end of a day's excavating, stone smelting, and undead slaying, I can say that, overall, it was worth the effort. Just about. >>>

Polygon

The plethora of in-game tips and tutorials make Minecraft far less intimidating to gamers with little time or patience to stumble around blindly looking for the fun, much of the mystery and discovery of the original game has been stripped away by the very things meant to make it more palatable. >>>

OQJWJ.jpg

On March 13, 2012, Minecraft avatar items were released on the Xbox Live Marketplace. They are priced between 80 to 240 Microsoft points: you can buy a pig, a creeper, a sheep, a sword, a shirt or a cape for your avatar!

syBO9.jpg

Video

ztnRv.jpg

HSDZh.jpg

6VcoG.jpg

OXM Introduction
OXM Trolling
Split-Screen Demo
Multiplayer demo feature
Minecon demo
Tutorial mode

0DXqv.jpg

Trial version

Full version

bZ82R.jpg

Thanks to Ape Gone Insane we have a universal GAF account. Feel free to add it so we can invite people via friends of friends:

Minecraft GAF

If anyone wants to post his/her GT individually, please let me know and I'll update the list!

LIST

1. eisnerguy
2. RebornYeti
3. CrAzYLeGzRDS
4. BattingTITAN
5. pyr0
6. Yes Pringles
7. Raging Begal
8. BinarySquash24
9. Markew001

hitoshi

It doesn't even have a solid date yet... So surely this isn't appropriate yet.

The achievement list is out there, avatar items have been released, a tons of gameplay videos was posted after GDC and moer and more things point to an April release... so it really is appropiate now.

EDIT: I was dumb!

V_Ben

Banned
The achievement list is out there, avatar items have been released, a tons of gameplay videos was posted after GDC and moer and more things point to an April release... so it really is appropiate now.

Usually OTs are put up a week before release, so as we don't have a date, nope. :)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
isn't this shit bannable ?

No, PC gamers have been allowed to troll console owners forever on GAF. The reverse does not hold true.

I might check this out when it drops just to see what the fuss is about. I enjoyed Torchlight when it made its way to XBLA.

Dabanton

isn't this shit bannable ?

In the make my PC 2012 thread it says on the banner that "master race is not Gaf appropriate in 2012".

Maybe a mod can clear up what that means in the case of using those terms. Either way this master race/console peasant nonsense does nothing but start shit and derail actual discussion.

It was mildy amusing at first but as with most things on the internet it's been run into the ground.

Gowans

Yeah I thought there was a release date, has to be soon.

Can't wait for this with easy online.

Bought because its awesome and Notch is god tier.

legacyzero

Banned
NO NOTCH NOOOOOOO!!! I cant buy this game again!!

Bad enough I'm addicted to this shit on the PC. Plus I heard that this is a very early version of Minecraft that isn't like today's version on PC. So if I DO but this game, I'll wait a bit until they start rolling out patches.

ckohler

I'm really looking forward to this. I played Minecraft for like six months straight until I got burnt out. I even used to livestream it. Playing on Xbox gives me an excuse to give it another go.

The only downside I've seen to this version is that it appears that online is only peer-to-peer. You can start a new world and up to seven of your XBL friends can join your game world (you can have multiple worlds). However, when YOU leave the game you end the server and the others can't continue playing. I don't have definitive evidence that this is how it works but from the video I've seen and the options on the menus, this seems to be the case.

Aside from that, it's pretty feature rich (it's not like that simplified iPad version). You can build redstone contraptions and everything.

Borman

From everything Ive seen of the game, it is actually really, really nice. Even on split-screen, the framerate looks to hold up really well. One complaint from some of the people with the game already is that the worlds are a bit small, which might be disappointing.

From everything Ive seen of the game, it is actually really, really nice. Even on split-screen, the framerate looks to hold up really well. One complaint from some of the people with the game already is that the worlds are a bit small, which might be disappointing.
Wait, they're not infinite?

I still don't get this game after watching numerous videos. What's the hook? I'm almost tempted to purchase this without "getting it" as millions of people can't be wrong, right?

ckohler

I've been wondering the same thing. What's the hook?

Basically, it's a survival/creation game. The game world is like a giant lego set that you explore and can build upon. Every world you generate is like a fractal painting and is completely unique. You can play alone or with friends and build anything your imagination and time allows. At night, monsters come out and you have to survive until the morning. There is massive depth to all the things you can find/combine/build/do.

Here was PA's take on it:

1010842689_DYj3P-L.jpg

1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

Wow, this thread is old haha.

I'm so pumped for this! I bought this for PC, but my laptop sucks and can barely even run Minecraft! So, this being on 360 is like a dream come true.

Ranger X

I still don't get this game after watching numerous videos. What's the hook? I'm almost tempted to purchase this without "getting it" as millions of people can't be wrong, right?

Millions of people buy Britney Spears albums. Of course they can be wrong. You have to know first what you are purchasing.
Minecraft is the only true sandbox game available right now. This means its a game in wich your thrown into a world and then you discover what there is to do by yourself and find goals for yourself. Just like a sandbox doesn't tell the kid what to do in order to have fun, Minecraft doesn't hold any hands (except their achievements that will sort of guide you). If you don't like games that are entirely non-linear, RUN THE FUCK AWAY. If you want to experience something new, a game that simply isn't partaking into the normal "videogame rules" and is completely open, jump in.

Addnan

Hoping someone can answer a little question about the MP.

Will it be like the PC where the MP servers are separate to what you do in your own little world, or will we be able to invite friends into our worlds?

blamite

Wow, watching the tutorial video in the OP I'm realizing how out of date the game is compared to the PC version. That combined with the high price... I think I'll pass until this gets updated some more.

Basically, it's a survival/creation game. The game world is like a giant lego set that you explore and can build upon. Every world you generate is like a fractal painting and is completely unique. You can play alone or with friends and build anything your imagination and time allows. At night, monsters come out and you have to survive until the morning. There is massive depth to all the things you can find/combine/build/do.

Millions of people buy Britney Spears albums. Of course they can be wrong. You have to know first what you are purchasing.
Minecraft is the only true sandbox game available right now. This means its a game in wich your thrown into a world and then you discover what there is to do by yourself and find goals for yourself. Just like a sandbox doesn't tell the kid what to do in order to have fun, Minecraft doesn't hold any hands (except their achievements that will sort of guide you). If you don't like games that are entirely non-linear, RUN THE FUCK AWAY. If you want to experience something new, a game that simply isn't partaking into the normal "videogame rules" and is completely open, jump in.

Hmm. I have a feeling this is a game I'd like to think I would enjoy, but in reality I'll find myself lost and bored after a couple hours. I should just give the demo a shot though.

ckohler

Minecraft doesn't hold any hands (except their achievements that will sort of guide you).

Actually, in an effort to draw in more people, the Xbox version includes an optional gameplay tutorial for first time players. Also, the crafting system has been completely redone for controllers to include the recipes so you don't have to look them up online or figure them out through trial and error.

Santiako

What does this version not have that the pc already has? I have the pc version but I'd rather play it on the xbox.

Ranger X

Actually, in an effort to draw in more people, the Xbox version includes an optional gameplay tutorial for first time players. Also, the crafting system has been completely redone for controllers to include the recipes so you don't have to look them up online or figure them out through trial and error.

Oh!! wow.
I didn't remember that, that's true. Oh well, I think it's good and would help more people being drawn in.

What does this version not have that the pc already has? I have the pc version but I'd rather play it on the xbox.

As far as I know it's based on the Minecraft PC release version 1.0
This means you are missing the lastest terrain generation algorythm, snow in taiga biomes, jungle biomes and what it contains (different sort of woods, cats, etc)
It's not like you missing THAT much. The game was already pretty awesome at 1.0

Santiako

As far as I know it's based on the Minecraft PC release version 1.0
This means you are missing the lastest terrain generation algorythm, snow in taiga biomes, jungle biomes and what it contains (different sort of woods, cats, etc)
It's not like you missing THAT much. The game was already pretty awesome at 1.0

OK, I'll definitely double dip then. I was thinking this was missing the Nether or something big like that.

ckohler

• Maximum of 8 players online per each xbox-hosted world
  • Online games are peer-to-peer only. Once the host quits playing, other players must quit. (This isn't confirmed but seems to be the case).
  • Size of game worlds are probably fixed versus being unlimited. Again, not confirmed.
  • Devs say it is a few point releases behind the PC version (but not by much, apparently) however they plan to release title updates to bring it up to parity with the PC version.
  • Can't use skins, yet. That will likely be added in a future title update.
  • Can't use mods (obviously).

That's all I can think of.

TheMan

looks interesting, but 1600 fuckpoints is asking too much. Trials evolution was only 1200!

my question: how different is fortresscraft than this? i'd like to get into the genre and at 3 bucks, fortresscraft might make a good intro if it doesn't suck. Thanks.

looks interesting, but 1600 fuckpoints is asking too much. Trials evolution was only 1200!

my question: how different is fortresscraft than this? i'd like to get into the genre and at 3 bucks, fortresscraft might make a good intro if it doesn't suck. Thanks.

Why? It's cheaper than the PC version. And it has more replay value than most retail games.

Top Bottom